It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 438.htm
<< 435  436  437    439  440  441 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So the steam generator sits atop the pot, and contaminated steam is sent straight to the turbines, is condensed and sent back to the pot? So the entire steam plant is contaminated except the sea water side of the condenser.

But even at that, if sea water is used on the "clean side" of the condenser, there would still have to be a breach in the condenser tube sheet for the tide to draw a vacuum on the system and contaminate the sea water. Guess that would definitely be possible after the quake and tsunami.

ETA- by the way thanks for that reply.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Hugues de Payens because: Add info

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
Low levels of radiation found in US milk

Just imaging what that milk will look like under UV Light

DANG IT... that messes up cheese ice cream butter chocolate etc etc etc etc ARGGGGGGG

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaztekno
NHK reporting now that they plan to encase them with a waterproof resin to stop it getting airborn or spread to the sea. This just gets wakier

edit on 30-3-2011 by chaztekno because: (no reason given)

I would cover it too...especially now that there are too many photos of what is really going on. Too many independent, rogue reporters sneaking in for drive-thrus. Photos and videos being uploaded, showing NOTHING going on like they say is happening.

Looks like an abandoned war zone. The pendulum has swung past the point of control of prying eyes....cover it up.

They are experts at covering things up.

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:43 AM on 30th March 2011

Stray dogs, abandoned cows... and the rice farmers who refuse to go: The only living things left in Japan's nuclear no-man's land

The streets seem deserted and the houses stand empty. Visitors are greeted only by stray dogs and the subdued moans of abandoned cows.

But first appearances are deceptive. Despite the apocalyptic warnings to leave, some residents have chosen to stay in the exclusion zone near Fukushima crippled nuclear reactor and risk whatever comes.

Tens of thousands have been evacuated from the area, leaving in a hurry as the plant became dangerous, and the only people allowed in are workers battling to limit the radiation leaks.

However, a Japanese television crew braved the 'danger' signs marking 12 miles (20km) around the damaged Dai-ichi nuclear power plant.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Des

link   
reply to post by zorgon

And a lovely shade of cobalt blue it is.

link   

Originally posted by SFA437
This I caught while doing a frame-by-frame of the latest overflight video:

Welcome to our corner
That sure looks like a molten mass.

As to the web cam images I wonder what else might be visible if we had the time to look frame by frame. Nice catch on that anomaly

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Apologies if its been posted before, but:
Japan: Greenpeace Finds High Levels of Radiation Outside of Exclusion Zone

Radiology experts from Greenpeace urged the government Wednesday to expand the evacuation zone around the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant after they found high levels of radiation outside the 20-km mandatory no-go zone.

Jan van de Putte, the radioactivity safety adviser of the NGO, said the survey, taken on a road between the villages of Iitate and Tsushima in Fukushima Prefecture, saw a radiation level of 100 microsieverts per hour, despite being outside of the evacuation area.

Greenpeace
One would reach the annual legal limit of 1,000 microsieverts — or 1 millisievert — of radiation in about 10 hours in such an environment, van de Putte said, adding that it is likely the people living in Iitate, about 9 km outside the no-go zone, “have surpassed that level” of exposure already.

I wonder if these figures are correct? The Greenpeace website is currently saying the level is between 7 and 10 micro Sievert, not 100 micro Sievert as reported by Japan Times. Maybe they've decided to use confusing figures to their advantage too.

The team measured radiation of between 7 and 10 micro Sievert per hour in the town of Iitate, on Sunday March 27th, 40km northwest of the crisis-stricken Fukushima/Daiichi nuclear plant, and 20km beyond the official evacuation zone. These levels are high enough to require evacuation.

Greenpeace

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh lord...I know that was a joke, but it might actually be true in a couple of weeks!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you.

I'm still running through all video and TEPCO webcam shots hour by hour and frame by frame. If I find anything else interesting I'll post em up here.

Also if you guys find anything let me know and I'll be more than happy to give an analysis. Imagery and blast is kind of my specialty

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Guessing that pegs the B.S. meter.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Quite frankly I don't know how they'll come back from this, and I expect the global economy to start unwinding any day now.

It's already effecting world markets and companies that rely on Japanese parts for electronics and automotive industries.

Lacking Parts, G.M. Will Close Plant
By NICK BUNKLEY
Published: March 17, 2011

DETROIT — General Motors said Thursday that it would temporarily shut a truck plant in Louisiana because it could not get enough Japanese-made parts, the first in what analysts say could be widespread disruptions at auto plants in North America because of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis half a world away.

www.nytimes.com...

This is just one of many companies... in an already depressed economy with many already out of work

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

Only pegs the BS meter slightly less than TEPCO's announcements.

Of course one is just BS the other is the realm of utter delusion

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mzmmom
Latest News out of British Columbia
sorry, I'm new, so couldn't post a new thread...
www.cbc.ca...

Welcome... and posting a new thread would mean likely it would be lost... hard enough to keep up with THIS one

Breaking on NHK

French team from Areva arrived with special equipment and pledges to help handle the situation

No snaps... will get those next cycle.... wasn't ready

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Remember that cameras are more sensitive to infra red than human eyes (depending on built in filters).
So what looks red to us in the picture may not look red in person.

Maybe... maybe not

"hot spot" at Chernobyl taken from the helicopter first on the scene...

"hot spot" plant #3...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

It appears that #1 the explosion happened outside secondary containment so the blast wave would have ripped through the pool firstly whatever was in the pool would have been crushed to powder from the hydraulic pressure and then been dazzlingly spread all-over kingdom come as the water vaporized ( water pressure being ten times less than that of air at the same volumne) and expanded super rapidly ,

in #3 the explosion seemed to take place between the secondary containment and the primary containment core ( although it could have come from the primary ) in either event the most of the water (if there was any) would get venturi sucked up with the initial plume a couple of micro seconds before the blast wave would hit the bottom of the pool , so I would expect large chunks of debris with a moderate amount of powdered material.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
thanks for the info ..I guess the good news is at some point they're going to entomb the reactors...its not like this will be forever

They entombed Chernobly... that tomb is now falling apart and if not replaced will start it all over as the corium is breaking down the glass it is trapped in...

The tomb at Fukushima will need to last longer than the Pyramids... no not forever... but a very very long time

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I subscribe to dutchsinse's YouTube channel. He put up a video today saying that the EPA found 3300 times the maximum acceptable level of Iodine-131 in Pennsylvania and Massachusettes tap water.

The back of my neck has been feeling a little swollen. Anyone else feel this way?
edit on 30-3-2011 by windwaker because: Fact correction

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Also interesting is that boron plus salt plus cement and sand is the formula for:

Borosilicate Glass

And that tells me some REALLY smart, forward looking nuclear scientists KNEW meltdown was happening and took the exact steps necessary to form nice civilized blobs of Corium and Poolium lava (volcanic glass) as the end product of a losing-hand game.

So they knew by the 16th that meltdown was in progress.
edit on 30-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

that will definitely take a bite out of "entirely human error", but it spits that bite onto the' lying through our teeth Tepco ' plate. The 16th, did anybody on this thread call it back then ?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
Youtube video taken from vehicle driving around the accident site!

NICE! Anyone can translate and give us the date? I see only one worker in that drive thru

Here is another one posted on the 19th,,,

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Shoving all the Tepco crap aside and looking at what we have been able to see for ourselves here in the forum, I believe it is safe to assume that
A.) Reactor #3 did indeed blow, not just hydrogen in the upper floors, but the RPV itself; that would account for the plutonium fuel rod mix found scattered around the site
B.) At least one SFRP has blown out and is producing poolium (good one, chatokay); this would also explain, along with A.) above, the very high radiation levels reported earlier; also helps explain why the US said 80 klicks instead of 20k for immediate evac.

Let us hope that the suppression pools under each RPV do indeed work as designed, i.e. catching and seperating the corium lava and spreading it out enough on the graphite to moderate and hopefully slow and control the reaction and keep it in the pool. But, considering it has never actually been used as designed...

seeker

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Look again Zorg; I counted one at the start, and 2 at the track hoe; hope whoever was driving and filming that got the hell out of dodge afterwards...

seeker

new topics

top topics

<< 435  436  437    439  440  441 >>

join