It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 436.htm
<< 433  434  435    437  438  439 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

I was going to say the same thing about the location possibly being near the storage tank...but then looking again at the picture it's cropped so you can't quite ascertain the height of the spill in relation to the outer wall, perhaps it's too low, it could be a core - but how likely is it such a large looking sample of core material would break out the side laterally like that - through that steel vessel - wouldn't it go up (popping the lid)?

Perhaps it is more likely something from meltdown in a tank?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'm really sorry I can't offer any ideas on what specifically is going on. I'm used to overhead imagery and have zero clue as to the layout and design of these reactors.

The photo showing the wall breach to me looks like what was found in the basement of Chernobyl- kind of a spaghetti looking bundle of melted metals. I just don't want to say that is what it is with the air of authority as I do not know where it came from or even if it would be possible for that to be SFR assemblies in that position.

I'm also very interested in what that transient might be. I I had to hazard a guess I think it is a VERY large stream of water, perhaps under great pressure erupting, persisting for a couple hours and then subsiding.

Again I honestly wish I could be of more help but reactors are not really my bailiwick.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype

I think if you look at your photo, and where the Taurus doughnut round the bottom sits in relation to the ground level in the fore/background, I would expect the concrete/foundations below the Taurus go down quite a way, judging by the scale and other technical drawings on here, so perhaps they could have got down to bedrock? Depends on the local topography/geology I guess?

I'm still wondering why nobody else in the MSM has been saying what Prof Busby was saying re: ejection of fuel rods at explosion(s)...which incidentally this thread has done a great job of investigating...

Because it was all apparent from the reactor 3 explosion. Anyone who saw reactor 1 explosion knew that rector 3 had tons of reddish brown stuff. In addition the heat in the centre of the cloud almost made it act like a mushroom.

After looking at the real size and scale of the reactor and buildings you just know all that debris reached the jet stream and consists of a large percentage of MOX dust...... I think we have all been hoodwinked by the "it's just a steam explosion" statement.

I'm not sure why people keep talking about worst case scenario. It's already happened in my opinion.

Most just do not want to accept it.

But I suppose you never know. It could get worse.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
Question could somebody explain how California is rumoring radiation when Radiationnetwork.com isnt showing any spikes. I live in Cali, I would like to know the truth..

By the time you get persistant elevated counts on a Geiger counter, you are looking at serious immediate contamination.

So smart people can avoid this type of macrocontamination by watching geiger/dosimeter counts.

Macrocontamination is dangerous, but more dangerous still is the hidden microcontamination of the food chain and water supply with radionucleides. Because they cannot be readily detected with simple geiger counters, these contaminants go unnoticed by the general population. As contaminated food and water are consumed, bioaccumulation takes place in plants, animals and people.

Eventually, cumulative radiation damage shows up as an increase in the death rate.

Berkeley Nuclear Engineering is one good source of information on current microcontamination in the US.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
This I caught while doing a frame-by-frame of the latest overflight video:

I'll leave it to people with more experience and familiarity with reactors to comment- I just found these images to be interesting to say the least.

For what it is worth everything said and speculated about on here has been 100% in line with everything my NBC operations training has told me would happen. There are some great minds here.
edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: I can't spell

edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: My typing-fu is lacking today

This last image, notice how all the colors are blues or grays, but in this image their is a touch of dark red on 'slag' in the side of the wall.

I would like the thermal comparison image to be sure but could we be looking at melted fuel from the spent fuel rod pool?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Can you do anything on these.....taken from an earlier post...

The photo of the flash to the right of the building before the main mushroom.

img844.imageshack.us...

The photo of the scorch mark in the same location of rector 3.

nimg.sulekha.com...

The cutaway diagram of the reactor.

www.nucleartourist.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Assuming the complete meltdown is a foregone conclusion, and assuming even a small explosive steam event or a fire/explosion, a 60-kilometer exclusion zone is likely, right?

If we assume for the sake of argument that this is going to be the case, what lies within that arc?

Fukushima, Koriyama, Shirakawa, Tamakawa, Hirata, Ono, Iwaki, and Nihomatsu to name the major towns and cities.

Kōriyama city is called the "commercial capital in Fukushima" and the economic bloc is the biggest in Fukushima Prefecture. There are many department stores and shops in front of Kōriyama Station.

Asiana Airlines operates a sales office on the second floor of the Nihonseimei Koriyama Nakamachi Building in Kōriyama.

Principal companies
XEBIO; sports goods
Kourakuen; ramen shops
York Benimaru; the biggest supermarket in Kōriyama with networks in south Tōhoku, Nigata, and North Kanto
Banks
Daito Bank
Toho Bank

Transportation

Kōriyama is an important point because it is located in the center of Fukushima and it is linked to many cities like Tokyo, Sendai, Fukushima, Niigata, Mito, and Iwaki. The city serves as a hub for the railways and the expressways

Covering a spacious urban area surrounded by a bountiful natural setting, Fukushima City is steadily growing as the capital of Fukushima Prefecture. Fukushima City is also a core city in the southern Tohoku (northeastern Japan) region. The city is located in one of Japan's new strategic axis zones designed to lead well-balanced development of the country through the multipolar dispersal of core zones. The 17 municipalities centered on Fukushima City in the northern part of the prefecture were collectively designated as the Fukushima Region Core City Zone under the Law for Comprehensive Development of Regional Core Cities in April 1993. This has lent momentum to the area's steady development and its efforts to create an ever more attractive living environment for the 21st century.

www.city.fukushima.fukushima.jp... html

Iwaki (いわき市 Iwaki-shi?) is a city located in the southern part of the Hamadōri coastal region of Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. It was devastated by tsunami flood waters following a magnitude 9.0 earthquake off its coastline on March 11, 2011.

A designated "core city", Iwaki is also one of the growing number of hiragana cities. Its area is 1,231.13 km², which is the 10th largest city in Japan (2010). Its population is 344,570 (2010). Iwaki is well-known as one of the most comfortable areas in Japan because it is situated in a temperate climate zone and has a moderate climate.

The present "Iwaki City" started as the merger of 14 municipalities on October 1, 1966. The city was the third hiragana city, following Chino, Nagano and Mutsu, Aomori. The area was the largest in Japan at the time. The city works as an industrial hub of Tōhoku region, and is rich in sightseeing resources. About 7.6 millions sightseers visit the city a year (H.17).

Fukushima Prefecture boasts the greatest number of newly located factories and the largest amount of products shipped in the Tohoku region. With the completion of a rapid transportation network in recent years, the establishment of electronics manufacturers has proceeded at a remarkable pace and the amount of electronic products shipped now accounts for over 30% of Fukushima's manufactured products. Another prominent feature in the prefecture is the large number of foreign companies being established locally.

Hama-dori

The Hama-dori region, particularly the coast, is the center of the prefecture's heavy and chemical industries, and the local electric power industry is one of the nation's largest suppliers of electricity. An industrial complex project now under development in and around the port of Soma will expand the harbor facilities and construct a thermal power station. The construction of the Joban Expressway, which will link Tokyo with the region, is also progressing smoothly. With the completion of these infrastructure projects, the potential for the region's further development promises to grow ever more favorable.

Naka-dori

The Naka-dori region, which is linked with Tokyo by a rapid transportation network that includes the Tohoku Expressway and the Tohoku Shinkansen bullet train, possesses the prefecture's most advanced industrial base. Electronics manufacturers are particularly well-represented, and more than half of the prefecture's foreign enterprises are located here. Industrial complexes are being completed throughout the region to attract more advanced high-tech industry, including R & D-oriented industry, to Fukushima. The proximity to Fukushima Airport makes the region's growth potential the most promising in the prefecture.

Aizu

The Aizu region, blessed with abundant water and forests. has long served as the base for such traditional industries as woodworking and lacquerware production. The region is also home to one of Japan's largest sake-brewing industries, which takes full advantage of the high-quality rice and pure water of the area. With the opening of the University of Aizu and the Ban'etsu Expressway, the region anticipates vigorous development.

Fukushima Prefecture's prominent, large-scale agricultural and fishery industries play important roles as suppliers of food, not only to Tokyo but also to the nation. The prefecture boasts Japan's fourth largest farmland area. Because of the favorable climate, many of the agricultural products grown in Japan, including rice, are produced in Fukushima. The prefecture ranks among the top producers of such fruits as peaches, apples and pears and such vegetables as tomatoes and cucumbers, as well as leaf tobacco and raw silk. Livestock farming is also active. Fukushima's 159 kilometer-long Pacific coastline is the site of the prefecture's vigorous fishing and seafood processing industries and the area's haul of fish is among the nation's largest. The prefecture seeks to ensure the continuing productivity of its agricultural and fishery industries while at the same time working to conserve the natural environment.

www.pref.fukushima.jp...

So we have the major north-south road links (leading to the disaster zone, no less) on the eastern side within that arc, a major part of Japan's food supply, and a ton of electronics firms, without even touching cultural loss (or the sake...omg, we're gonna lose some of the best sake!!
)

Quite frankly I don't know how they'll come back from this, and I expect the global economy to start unwinding any day now.

Sorry for the crappy analysis, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the enormity of it all, and I lack sufficient detailed information about specific companies to lay out precise consequences yet...that's probably for another thread anyway.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

I know you guys don't know me here but I did not do anything other than crop & enlarge the photos.

No color added or removed, no sharpening of the image- I just put them up like I found them.

Does anyone have any idea of what the transient was and how the heck does #2 go from full height during the transient activity, to 50% of height immediately after cessation of transient and then BACK UP to full height an hour later?

We are talking about 30m buildings here, not a backyard shed. To be brutally honest I think all following TEPCO webcam images have either been doctored or are repeats of earlier shots. If I were in their shoes all they need to do is to use footage every 10-15 minutes from before 26 MAR and post that as hourly updates.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Breaking News:

EPA Says Radiation Found in U.S. Milk

The U.S. government said Wednesday that traces of radiation have been found in milk in Washington state, but said the amounts are well below levels of public health concern.

online.wsj.com...
edit on 3/30/2011 by Erasurehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Latest News out of British Columbia
sorry, I'm new, so couldn't post a new thread...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Japanese Prime Minister Kan looks at separating nuclear safety agency from industry ministry

Prime Minister Naoto Kan is looking into the feasibility of separating the country's nuclear safety agency from the industry ministry, government sources said Wednesday, as his government reviews the way it handles nuclear energy in the wake of Japan's worst nuclear accident.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, which is responsible for the administration of nuclear safety issues, is currently under the wing of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. The ministry has been actively promoting nuclear power, a point which critics say compromises the agency's role to ensure nuclear safety.

link

This is beyond a joke. Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency is bought and paid for by the big corporations. No wonder there were so many safety inspection lapses and accidents at the TEPCO nuke plants over the years.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

Neologism time: POOLIUM...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by SDoradus

I know you guys don't know me here but I did not do anything other than crop & enlarge the photos.

No color added or removed, no sharpening of the image- I just put them up like I found them.

Does anyone have any idea of what the transient was and how the heck does #2 go from full height during the transient activity, to 50% of height immediately after cessation of transient and then BACK UP to full height an hour later?

We are talking about 30m buildings here, not a backyard shed. To be brutally honest I think all following TEPCO webcam images have either been doctored or are repeats of earlier shots. If I were in their shoes all they need to do is to use footage every 10-15 minutes from before 26 MAR and post that as hourly updates.

Welcome to ATS, and Thank you for your photos.

What I want to know is...have any outside experts actually been to the Fukushima plants, in PERSON. So far...all I've been able to find online, are reports of experts who have gone to Japan, have had all their meetings in off-site conference rooms

This brings to mind another thought that keeps bothering me. The poor, brave men working on-site, are not allowed to shower, but every 3 days, if that. Why are they not allowed to leave? IMO, they are being kept prisoners there. They are kept in an on-site conference building, locked in at night. They sleep on floors and stairwells. I think Tepco KNOWS they are dead men walking. Also, the figures given for the amount of workers on-site changes drastically, seemingly with who is giving the info out. I have wondered if the body found 5 km from the plants, remember the one 15 police officers decided to leave laying in the street because he was too contaminated with radiation to touch? I can't stop thinking...it might have been one of those workers, attempting to escape....

It boggles my mind....

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
What are these rods on the roof in the bottom of the picture?
nimg.sulekha.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Originally posted by SDoradus

Neologism time: POOLIUM...

Well, look at it this way; It should be easier to spray water directly on the fuel to cool it since there is a big hole in the side of the pool. (If that's what it is)

Remember that cameras are more sensitive to infra red than human eyes (depending on built in filters).

So what looks red to us in the picture may not look red in person.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

Originally posted by curioustype

I think if you look at your photo, and where the Taurus doughnut round the bottom sits in relation to the ground level in the fore/background, I would expect the concrete/foundations below the Taurus go down quite a way, judging by the scale and other technical drawings on here, so perhaps they could have got down to bedrock? Depends on the local topography/geology I guess?

I'm still wondering why nobody else in the MSM has been saying what Prof Busby was saying re: ejection of fuel rods at explosion(s)...which incidentally this thread has done a great job of investigating...

Because it was all apparent from the reactor 3 explosion. Anyone who saw reactor 1 explosion knew that rector 3 had tons of reddish brown stuff. In addition the heat in the centre of the cloud almost made it act like a mushroom.

After looking at the real size and scale of the reactor and buildings you just know all that debris reached the jet stream and consists of a large percentage of MOX dust...... I think we have all been hoodwinked by the "it's just a steam explosion" statement.

I'm not sure why people keep talking about worst case scenario. It's already happened in my opinion.

Most just do not want to accept it.

But I suppose you never know. It could get worse.

Yeah the dark grey and red-brown color is exactly what I think of when I think of steam...and as for that first explosion ..it had a super-sonic wavefront almost straight up as a secondary re-action ( i imagine that it was an over-pressure wave from the blast occurring outside the secondary containment vessel and squeezing it like a toothpaste tube so quickly from all sides it 'burped' it's capped at or near teh speed of sound like , if that post of only needing to hit 500m is correct then #3 powdered the toast
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

thanks for the info ..I guess the good news is at some point they're going to entomb the reactors...its not like this will be forever

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Check out today's weasel words from Tepco.....

Japan confirms radiation levels higher but plays down danger – video

www.guardian.co.uk...

Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says radioactive material in seawater near Fukushima nuclear plant will 'dissipate quickly' with the currents.

width="460" height="370">

Des

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Could it be that the pool had run dry, the rods got hot and that caused the hydrogyn explosion, taking the rods with it? Because the pool would be the center-point of the ignition. Right?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hi been following this thread since its start - decided to join and post this link

www.youtube.com...

Youtube video taken from vehicle driving around the accident site!

new topics

top topics

<< 433  434  435    437  438  439 >>

join