It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 435.htm
<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Well if #2 keeps burning the midnight nuetronium sometime in the next 12-15 hours or so I don't think that there will be much left to shift through. (at least at #2) and if the other fellow is right 1 and three are going to be following right behind , frank;ly I don't see anyway to get those melting cores out of there or under containment, I mean look at the size of those monsters ( in the pic above you can see a tinnie tiny little man walking around the top

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

If the meter goes tick, tick, tickety, get out of there!

Indeed! Sorry, didn't wish to cause offence, I agree it was a very useful manual to read.

I was trying to distinguish whether by 'uninhabitable' the site/location was TOTALLY unaccessible - which I believe some areas may be - like say inside the core if I remember TheRedneck's example...whereas I think if I follow your reference/manual, at the location you specified they may be able to get Chernobyl style suicide missions in to do essential works (if they can find the volunteers), yet as you quite rightly say, by any normal standards nobody should go near - as opposed to somewhere where there is NO chance of working - suicide mission or not...?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Epa finds Iodine-131 in milk in washington state

Results from a screening sample taken March 25 from Spokane, Wash. detected 0.8 pCi/L of iodine-131, which is more than 5,000 times lower than the Derived Intervention Level set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. These types of findings are to be expected in the coming days and are far below levels of public health concern, including for infants and children. Iodine-131 has a very short half-life of approximately eight days, and the level detected in milk and milk products is therefore expected to drop relatively quickly.

Source

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Yes, it's the scale of the areas full of debris and obstacles stretching across several adjacent reactor buildings (that people really don't want to go near), and the blocked access due to collapsed buildings that would appear to me to make it VERY difficult to get a robot, or several robots in to do enough, quickly enough...it sounds at best like it may be a very, very slow process...which apparently they haven't even started yet???

You'd think they'd have gotten robots in and seen if they'd work a lot earlier wouldn't you?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You know here's another thing , Tepco claims they "removed all the top soil and built the nuclear plants directly on solid rock" they even have a little graphic on their site showing these leg like anchors, but clearly In this photo you can see they building the thing right up out of the dirt, so did they come back put concrete in later or am I just looking at it wrong

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Yes, exactly. I agree. But I thought the theory is newsworthy and of course it would be spun to show how criminal TEPCO in fact are. I think Russian authorities came out quite early in the piece stating how "greedy" TEPCO had been. I lost that source.

You posted an interesting perspective above where you propose the TEPCO president Shimizu san and TEPCO itself is likely being set up as the scape goat for the entire global nuclear industry. I find that to be highly plausible, and the likelihood he has been told this already. There was after all savagery behind the whole global nuclear industry's coverup of Chernobyl and just about every accident at a plant before or since.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by mendel101

Actually that building looks to be one of the turbine buildings, so that radiation would be from the radioactive water mixed with stuff from the core puddles that are 10 or 15 feet deep or whatever they are. Glowing less wouldn't be a bad thing, and that glow is entirely dependent on enough water being available in the air (mist or fog or high humidity)to see it ( Cherenkov radiation does not show up in air , it needs a denser medium like water )
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

Ok. I've tracked back some more night images and see that the spot started to appear in the night of March 20th. That doesn't coincide with structural damage, that happened much before. Can air contain enough moisture to couse a lot of Cerenkov light? I couldn't find that information on line.

The day before, March 19th, water started to be sprayed in unit 3 from height (source), consistent with the spend pool filling up; on the 20th power was reconnected to unit 2, consistent with electrical light.

link   

I think if you look at your photo, and where the Taurus doughnut round the bottom sits in relation to the ground level in the fore/background, I would expect the concrete/foundations below the Taurus go down quite a way, judging by the scale and other technical drawings on here, so perhaps they could have got down to bedrock? Depends on the local topography/geology I guess?

I'm still wondering why nobody else in the MSM has been saying what Prof Busby was saying re: ejection of fuel rods at explosion(s)...which incidentally this thread has done a great job of investigating...

link   
To those who have contributed to this thread- thank you. I've been lurking about for quite a while on this site but have not posted yet.

A little background on me- I am a former Department of Defense field intelligence analyst who held a GS15 rating at the time of my medical retirement. I have done a lot of image analysis in my time and wanted to share a few things I have noticed over the past week that have not been reported anywhere.

I do not know much about nuclear plants other than some NBC/HAZMAT training I received way back in the day when I was a police officer working in Brunswick County NC.

There have been several TEPCO webcam and overflight images that have bothered me considerably.

Here is a series of photos from the TEPCO webcam from Fukushima Webcam Photo Hosting Site

As you move from the 02:00 to 03:00 and on pay attention to these areas:

Area clear

First appearance of unknown transient

Continued appearance of unknown transient

Apparent removal of top 1/2 of #2 reactor and disappearance of unk transient

(The above image is the first and only time that this unit is seen in this state. Follow on images show the building to be complete.)

This I caught while doing a frame-by-frame of the latest overflight video:

I'll leave it to people with more experience and familiarity with reactors to comment- I just found these images to be interesting to say the least.

For what it is worth everything said and speculated about on here has been 100% in line with everything my NBC operations training has told me would happen. There are some great minds here.
edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: I can't spell

edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: My typing-fu is lacking today

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

At a guess I'd say it's steam coming off of a radioactive pool, It just looks to green/blue variable to be an electric light , but I might be wrong. although didn't we have a criticality event on the night of the 19th?Is it just me or is it not in the same spot in every picture?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112

I'm no expert, but from all I've been told & read, once the seawater was used, the reactors would never be usable again. I'm assuming this is the case because seawater is full of impurities that would have an adverse effect on how the reactors operate. (I'm sure someone will answer with the correct info if I'm wrong on the why)

Yeah, seawater definately used at #1, #2 and #3 and for the cooling pond in #4.
However, I don't recall seawater being used at #5 and #6. They did have "cooling problems" early-on (meaning generator's down), but they later got the pumps running. As far as I know, they are intact and using their normal coolant?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Thanks - great post. That last photo shows something that looks a lot like some kind of spat out molten residue (metallic?) dripping out the side of the building, or is it me?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

It looks like mendels glowing spot matches your pop top, and that last pic sure looks like molten slag and it is right under/behind where one of the pools would have been in the building

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by SDoradus

If the meter goes tick, tick, tickety, get out of there!

Indeed! Sorry, didn't wish to cause offense, I agree it was a very useful manual to read.

I was trying to distinguish whether by 'uninhabitable' the site/location was TOTALLY unaccessible - which I believe some areas may be - like say inside the core if I remember TheRedneck's example...whereas I think if I follow your reference/manual, at the location you specified they may be able to get Chernobyl style suicide missions in to do essential works (if they can find the volunteers), yet as you quite rightly say, by any normal standards nobody should go near - as opposed to somewhere where there is NO chance of working - suicide mission or not...?

No offense, the line is actually a paraphrase of a bit of the script from a computer game called fallout 3.

1000 R/ hr will drop you within hours. You won't realize you are dead though for a week. The measure there is over 100 R/hr which is less than that but effects are cumulative so yes, the site is totally inaccessible to anyone who intends to be working at that site for many months.

A single person could still run in and run back without dieing but they will have to take several months off between sprints.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Question could somebody explain how California is rumoring radiation when Radiationnetwork.com isnt showing any spikes. I live in Cali, I would like to know the truth..

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I found one of the sites that TEPCO uses to handle the current situation.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by SFA437

Thanks - great post. That last photo shows something that looks a lot like some kind of spat out molten residue (metallic?) dripping out the side of the building, or is it me?

If the helicopter is on the sea side of the building then that's a hole in the side of the spent fuel pool. Looks like a red glow inside as well....

Compare to this www.nucleartourist.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

At a guess I'd say it's steam coming off of a radioactive pool, It just looks to green/blue variable to be an electric light , but I might be wrong. although didn't we have a criticality event on the night of the 19th?Is it just me or is it not in the same spot in every picture?

No, the spot is in the exact same place except for the last image, where it's a bit down, but that's because the webcam tilted (comparing daylight images). The neutron beam was reported March 23rd (source). If it's really Cerenkov radiation I find it amazing.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

Originally posted by lynn112

I'm no expert, but from all I've been told & read, once the seawater was used, the reactors would never be usable again. I'm assuming this is the case because seawater is full of impurities that would have an adverse effect on how the reactors operate. (I'm sure someone will answer with the correct info if I'm wrong on the why)

Yeah, seawater definately used at #1, #2 and #3 and for the cooling pond in #4.
However, I don't recall seawater being used at #5 and #6. They did have "cooling problems" early-on (meaning generator's down), but they later got the pumps running. As far as I know, they are intact and using their normal coolant?

Thank Zorgon for a handy timeline( or in this thread life preserver), according to it seawater was pumped into 5 and 6

new topics

<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join