It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 433.htm
<< 430  431  432    434  435  436 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
For future reference. Fukushima II, or Fukushima Dai-ni en.wikipedia.org...

Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the similarly named plant, see Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant.
Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant

The Fukushima II NPP
Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant is located in Japan
Location of Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant
Country Japan
Locale Naraha
Coordinates 37°13′59″N 141°0′51″E / 37.23306°N 141.01417°E / 37.23306; 141.01417Coordinates: 37°13′59″N 141°0′51″E / 37.23306°N 141.01417°E / 37.23306; 141.01417
Status Out of service
Construction began March 16, 1976 (1976-03-16)
Commission date April 20, 1982 (1982-04-20)
Operator(s) Tokyo Electric Power Company
Constructor(s) Kajima
Takenaka
Reactor information
Reactors operational 4 x 1,100 MW
Reactor type(s) BWR
Reactor supplier(s) Toshiba
Hitachi
Power generation information
Installed capacity 4,400 MW
As of March 14, 2011

The Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant (福島第二原子力発電所, Fukushima Dai-Ni (About this sound pronunciation) Genshiryoku Hatsudensho?, Fukushima II NPP, 2F), or Fukushima Dai-ni (dai-ni means "number two"), is a nuclear power plant located on a 1,500,000-square-metre (370-acre) site[1] in the town of Naraha and Tomioka in the Futaba District of Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) runs the plant.

After the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, the four reactors at Fukushima II automatically shut down.[2]

Japan's worst nuclear accident occurred at TEPCO's Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant, or Fukushima Dai-ichi, 11.5 kilometres (7.1 mi) to the north, after the same March 11 earthquake.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Reactors
* 2 Events
o 2.1 1989 incident
o 2.2 2011 earthquake and tsunami
* 3 See also
* 4 References
* 5 External links

[edit] Reactors

All reactors in the Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant are BWR-5 type[3] with electric power of 1,100 MW each (net output: 1,067 MW each).[4]

The reactors for units 1 and 3 were supplied by Toshiba, and for units 2 and 4 by Hitachi. Units 1–3 were built by Kajima while the unit 4 was built by Shimizu and Takenaka.[4] The design basis accident for an earthquake was between 0.42 g (4.15 m/s2) and 0.52 g (5.12 m/s2) and for a tsunami was 5.2 m.[5]
Unit First criticality Installation costs (yen/MW) Reactor supplier Architecture Construction
1 31/07/1981 250,000,000 Toshiba Toshiba Kajima
2 23/06/1983 230,000,000 Hitachi Hitachi Kajima
3 14/12/1984 290,000,000 Toshiba Toshiba Kajima
4 17/12/1986 250,000,000[6] Hitachi Hitachi Shimizu
Takenaka

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just caught this on CNN:

Excessive radiation found beyond Japan's evacuation zone
March 30th, 2011
03:44 PM ET
Share this on:Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit Mixx MySpace StumbleUpon

Comments (Add comment)
Radiation levels in a Japanese village outside a government-ordered evacuation zone have exceeded one of the criteria for evacuation, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Wednesday.

The agency said it advised Japan "to carefully assess the situation."

news.blogs.cnn.com...

How about...GET out of that area now!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Having a little experience in image analyis I've come to the following:

The Fukushima night spot source is right on top of one of the buildings. Perhaps some of the experts can identify it:

Night images (taken on 19:00h or 05:00h) often show the spot (19h images March 21-30th, zoomed in onto the spot, levels linearly enhanced):

I left out the 05:00h spots as there is quite some early morning light in those.

The intensity of the spot increases from the 21th to the 28th of March and decreases somewhat after that:

Color: blue/green. The last spot (30th) is shifted down a bit because the webcam has tilted slightly.

The dip on March 23rd coincides with the "black smoke" close to that point.

What is it? A spotlight? A fire? Cerenkov? Any ideas?

Mendel

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
For future reference. Fukushima II, or Fukushima Dai-ni en.wikipedia.org...

Unit First criticality Installation costs (yen/MW) Reactor supplier Architecture Construction
1 31/07/1981 250,000,000 Toshiba Toshiba Kajima
2 23/06/1983 230,000,000 Hitachi Hitachi Kajima
3 14/12/1984 290,000,000 Toshiba Toshiba Kajima
4 17/12/1986 250,000,000[6] Hitachi Hitachi Shimizu
Takenaka

Now that report that said Hitachi sent workers makes sense

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mendel101

If the color is correct it could be Cherenkov radiation from the pool of spent fuel. Cherenkov needs the presence of water

Here is an intact pool showing the radiation glow. You can see the crane at the end. At Plant #3 the crane has fallen into the pool

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

I just saw this on CNN as well. I just can't believe the incompetence that has gone on regarding the evacuation zone. The US government recommended an 80km evacuation zone for good reason apparently.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hi, thanks for all your hard work here.

I just noticed on the Daily Mail 'timeline' that you posted earlier (it's useful to see things displayed that way), that there was no timeline for the large spent fuel rod storage building, which as far as I recall was also without power or proper cooling from day one, and would presumably have also been at risk of sustaining damage from the explosions to either itself or service pipes/apparatus?

Also, the timeline indicates that in the wake of loss of power and subsequently proper cooling, the reactors were all flushed with seawater, including 5 and 6 - which were otherwise apparently shut down more successfully (i.e. not breaching themselves).

Now, in the past couple of days TEPCO/Japanese gov' have been indicating an updated stance, to confirm decommossioning reactors 1-4, yet seeking consultation from the local community re:reactors 5&6...?

However, as people pointed out in earlier posts, hasn't the use of seawater potentially damaged,
compromised the safety and lifespan, or at least taken the stored and in-use fuel rod assemblies into uncharted waters (excuse the pun) on all sea-water exposed fuel rod assemblies - either in storage or in-use?

And...shouldn't the Japanese public be made quite aware of all of those details, it seems pretty crazy to me that you might consider doing anything other than scrapping all 6 recators and providing a final resting place for all the spent fuel rods given the context of that plant and all the traumas inflicted on the parts (quake, tsunami, explosions, seawater...)???

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A very common phrase used in Japan, when a difficult problem arises, and there is no immediate fix, or answer.

Shikata ga nai... 仕方が無い...It can't be helped

So, 20,000 plus innocent people, left to fend for themselves, in the highly radioactive evacuation zones. Shikata ga nai

Pathetic...and heartless, IMO..

Des

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

I'm no expert, but from all I've been told & read, once the seawater was used, the reactors would never be usable again. I'm assuming this is the case because seawater is full of impurities that would have an adverse effect on how the reactors operate. (I'm sure someone will answer with the correct info if I'm wrong on the why)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

That is my problem as well. The Japanese Government seems to be glossing over the real severity of this situation & by doing so, putting lives at risk.

That doesn't even touch the fact that this is damaging the enviroment on a global scale & every person on the planet has a stake in getting this situation under control as quickly as possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Exactly. I was always taught to prepare for the worst, but the officials over there are acting like they are simply hoping for the best.

Sickening.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Is it simply gravity that holds those assemblies upright in the water, because, well after an M 9.0 quake, I just can't see all of those cookies remaining upright (and therefore seperated), and you'd get the water moving and...what holds them up - anyone know?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
reply to post by curioustype

I'm no expert, but from all I've been told & read, once the seawater was used, the reactors would never be usable again. I'm assuming this is the case because seawater is full of impurities that would have an adverse effect on how the reactors operate. (I'm sure someone will answer with the correct info if I'm wrong on the why)

And because the salt will just corrode everything.

So yeah, they would have had to start over anyway most likely.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is a slight shift in the conversation however, I wanted run it by Zorgon.

I am pissed that all of the 'Black Project' signals, sensor platforms and satellites that the US uses to justify our actions around the world are not being used for the greater good - for humanity. I am quite sure the Pentagon is aware down to the smallest detail what is happening in Fukushima. We already know about the meltdowns, the radition, and long term consequences. We have had trillions of budget dollars and 50 plus years to prepare for an event like this.

We, the United States of America, need to call an emergency United Nations Security Council Meeting. At that meeting we need to show the world what is happening (i.e. the missiles on the ship going to Cuba).

This is an unrepresented international crisis. Now is when THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA should flex our power.

Our government and military leaders are as complicit in this event as the Japanese Government.

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed of the lack of leadership we showing in this crisis.

Pissed in Atlanta - For the first time in my life, I want to scream on the steps of the Capital building
edit on 30-3-2011 by Black Sheep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Yes, this makes me ill. If the radiation levels were as high as the BS levels, everyone would be dead.

Radiation Found Outside The Evacuation Zone At Twice The Level Acceptible To Occupy

The International Atomic Energy Agency, meanwhile, reported Wednesday it found radiation in a village outside the evacuation zone at levels that are twice where it would recommend evacuations. Officials emphasized the reading was found in only one spot in Iitate village, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from the plant, and did not say they were recommending an evacuation. The exclusion zone has a radius of 12 miles (20 kilometers). www.signonsandiego.com...

Sheer bull by the IAEA.

Send their officials to go stand in that one spot every one of them,
along with all the news reporters that perpetuate this load of dung.

edit on 30-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Reactors are highly complicated pieces of plumbing with lots of automatic , electronic and mechanical valves and hot salt water severely decrease the integrity of all these things and radically weakens the stainless steel used as the primary containment core...if you did try to use it again it would be very unsafe and almost certainly fail in a critical way that was as bad or worse than the first time.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by mendel101

If the color is correct it could be Cherenkov radiation from the pool of spent fuel. Cherenkov needs the presence of water

Here is an intact pool showing the radiation glow. You can see the crane at the end. At Plant #3 the crane has fallen into the pool

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Thanks, so that would mean that if the spot dims that might be bad news. Spend fuel pools could be running dry. I'll keep an eye on it the next nights.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mendel101

Actually that building looks to be one of the turbine buildings, so that radiation would be from the radioactive water mixed with stuff from the core puddles that are 10 or 15 feet deep or whatever they are. Glowing less wouldn't be a bad thing, and that glow is entirely dependent on enough water being available in the air (mist or fog or high humidity)to see it ( Cherenkov radiation does not show up in air , it needs a denser medium like water )
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

But they still used cracked vessels with some temporary welding and tie rods. You would have thought a new vessel would be in order but no. Profit is the primary driver in an industrial private company.

So they will consider using sea water flushed equipment.

It can't be any worse than the corroded reactor vessels that were that way before the tsunami. Well maybe a little.

Remember the air travel industry had similar issues in it's infancy. The same needs to happen to the Nuclear industry.

Slightly less profit and sightly more safety.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Considering Tepco has 482billion in cash at their disposal, oh and btw I work out that bit of info (not quite ready to post it ) , but it does appear to be a pool flying and the plume looks like it clears 500m....
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 430  431  432    434  435  436 >>

join