It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 431.htm
<< 428  429  430    432  433  434 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Today I was sat in my car having a lunch break and it was raining. I had the window down to let out moisture and for the 1st time in my life I was frightened of the rain. I sat and thought of all the senarios I've read on here. The concequences of what could happen and maybe what could happen in the future. I closed my windows and looked at the water droplets on the door handle. How sad is that? Am I starting to panic for no reason? For a split second I thought if this plastic starts to sizzle I'm out of here. Funny how in your everyday working life, the world creeps up on you.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sussy

Lucky for us we have some pretty sharp cookies here on this thread that are promoting education and not knee jerk reaction. I shared some of your emotions when I was looking at the odd metalic dust on my wifes car. I think Education and Self Reliance are the keys to future seccess..
_________________________________________________________________________________________

all of the sudden radiationnetwork is reading low across the board.....hummm!
edit on 30-3-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by TheRedneck
WE are the journalists of the 21st century... not CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, FOX... us!

yeah but...

MSM journalists get a pay check
We work for stars

Working for stars is so much more honourable and honest ... as a knight I'm sure you can appreciate that

Keep it up guys. Woody

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me but the imbroglio over the mistated and then corrected radiation level (was it the core or puddle? I saw both referenced) to me seemed like well orchestrated disinformation manuever.

Instead of people saying "Oh my God, 100,000 times above normal the reactor must be melting down!" they're saying "Thank God it's only 100k!".

Ballsey and masterful.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
NHK seems to be moving away from the Fukushima Diiachi nuclear disaster with "Twitter" being yesterdays big news and CNC machining lessons being todays big headline.

That said here is a little news;

Subcontractors to several companies connected to the plant have reportedly been offered 80,000 to 100,000 yen a day (£608 to £760) to join the operation, according to one former plant worker. The team of men inside the complex have been dubbed "samurai" and "suicide squads" in the popular press.

LINK

Please lets cut down on opinion posts and making assumptions and get this thread back to facts and analyzing the facts that are being presented.

thanks
AD

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad
NHK seems to be moving away from the Fukushima Diiachi nuclear disaster with "Twitter" being yesterdays big news and CNC machining lessons being todays big headline.

That said here is a little news;

Subcontractors to several companies connected to the plant have reportedly been offered 80,000 to 100,000 yen a day (£608 to £760) to join the operation, according to one former plant worker. The team of men inside the complex have been dubbed "samurai" and "suicide squads" in the popular press.

LINK

Please lets cut down on opinion posts and making assumptions and get this thread back to facts and analyzing the facts that are being presented.

thanks
AD

It's the well reasoned opinions and assumptions that make this thread worthwhile.

IMO.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Maybe it's just me but the imbroglio over the misstated and then corrected radiation level (was it the core or puddle? I saw both referenced) to me seemed like well orchestrated disinformation maneuver.

Instead of people saying "Oh my God, 100,000 times above normal the reactor must be melting down!" they're saying "Thank God it's only 100k!".

Ballsey and masterful.

Tepco has not published follow up water 'puddle' tests from the #2 turbine building. I've heard that the puddle they refer to is half a meter deep in some places, puddle is kind of a misnomer here.

The radioactivity in the building was over 1,000 mSv when they took the last published sample. Apparently that is all their pocket survey meters can measure. For me that is high enough that I would turn around and walk in the other direction which probably explains why they don't have standard issue survey meters that go higher than that.

Dosimetery is their only other option it's not as precise and requires multiple trips. (one trip to drop off the dosimeter and another trip to retrieve it, since you aren't going to hang around while it is exposed.)

The bottom line is I believe that #2 reactor and turbine building are too hot to occupy which is why we aren't getting follow up sample reports. #2 has melted down, the containment has breached, the ruins are uninhabitable except by cockroaches, who I imagine are also uncomfortable.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
here is another newspaper article, that seems quite balanced, and has some nice new pictures of the damage

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I feel your pain on this, but it's kind of something we have to be cool with to a certain extent. As long as it's not totally off-topic (ie: opinions on the POTUS, how the markets are responding, etc) and it's not in-fighting or baiting, I've found it's easier and quicker to just skim and skip those posts. We're all starting to experience a certain level of burnout and mental exhaustion and are trying to fight through it because we know how important the issue is to stay on top of, so we all kind of need our little releases once in a while.

For some, it's coming up with ways to entomb the reactors, for others it's how to protect their families from potential fallout, and others it's finding better raw data or historical comparisons, while some just need to vent about how they think this affects their inner-chi and karma and how the cosmic forces are aligning (LOL, you know what I mean). It's just a way to not go crazy, and still add to the trove of information relating to the Fukushima issue.

It gets pretty easy to identify opinion posts after having to skip them for a while [ETA: I'm sure someone is skipping this post right now, because it's obviously an opinion and not info!], and it might make the thread needlessly long-winded, but it also keeps it the most active thread on the board right now, and that's a good thing in the end. After a while, those posts which are useless to you fade into the background and the ones you want stick out. Just try to not let it get to you----believe me, I know how hard this is. When I can't stand it, I try to just use the Alert function and vent to the faceless/nameless mod on the other end. (Sorry, mods.)
edit on 30-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
Working for stars is so much more honourable and honest ... as a knight I'm sure you can appreciate that

If I didn't i wouldn't be here

But my Ferrets disagree... they like to eat... a lot

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: Charlie Sheen did it
I KNOW NOTHING

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

(was it the core or puddle? I saw both referenced) to me seemed like well orchestrated disinformation manuever.

That 'puddle' is 1.5 meters deep
Some 'puddle' No wonder those workers were soaked to their underwear

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
here is another newspaper article, that seems quite balanced, and has some nice new pictures of the damage
Japan pays 'suicide squads' fortunes to work in stricken nuclear plant as 'battle is lost for reactor two'

FYI: Just so that nobody get's (more) confused, I think one of their photos is labeled incorrectly as reactors #1 and #2, when it's actually (I think) #4 on the left and #3 on the right.

PS: Nice catch though!

edit on 2011-3-30 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added post-script.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sussy
Today I was sat in my car having a lunch break and it was raining. I had the window down to let out moisture and for the 1st time in my life I was frightened of the rain.

I think the sulfuric acid in the rain if you live near smog is going to do more damage than the radiation that might be in it... Hope that helps

As Redneck already pointed out, you cannot absorb it through the skin, just don't drink it or eat the yellow snow

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Ironically, it occurs to me that the building that looks to be the most intact is Unit #2. Which I think is the one with the worst radiation coming from it, and the one that outside sources have been saying is in "full melt-down".

Unit #3, is the one that looks to be the most physically destroyed, and is the one with MOX fuel in it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
TEPCO just doesn't get it!
Japan Times

Tokyo Electric Power Co. Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, appearing for the first time since the crisis began, told a news conference that although it will probably be hard to bring tankers near the reactors, "if there are good ideas, we would like to examine them."

Katsumata said scrapping the plant's four troubled reactors is inevitable, and Tepco will face a heavy nuclear disaster compensation tab. His comment suggested that reactors 5 and 6, which are less damaged, may be able to fire up again in the future.

Thank God, though, that SOMEONE in Japan is starting to get a clue about reality:

[Chief Cabinet Secretary] Edano, however, quickly ruled out this possibility.

"I believe (scrapping all six reactors) is very clear from the viewpoint of society. That is my perception," he said.

Also, just now live on NHK, they were interviewing a manufacturing business owner grappling with the rolling blackouts and he actually said, "I wish they would hurry up and get Fukushima producing power again."

These poor, shell-shocked people are either hopelessly unrealistic or outrageously uninformed.
edit on 30-3-2011 by OuttaHere because: typo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Maybe it's just me but the imbroglio over the mistated and then corrected radiation level (was it the core or puddle? I saw both referenced) to me seemed like well orchestrated disinformation manuever.

Ballsey and masterful.

I have thought the same thing exactly. The "one million" number was designed to be retracted to make the real number look better and to make people look sensationalist, when the truth is that the actual amount of radiation reported never changed and was always horrific.
edit on 30-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
For those that are interested the IAEA respond very quickly to your questions but they don't give you any new info...I wont post the full response because its too long..

In response to my question about the health of the workers they discussed the injuries that we know about the 3 injured workers exposed to radiation on their legs. And also confirmed that 17 workers had been exposed to 100 m/sv of radiation (conjecture on my part is that this has got to be much higher unless they have not been on site at all recently)

Re the Daini site - they offered no info except that they were placed in cold shutdown (why the smoke today then?) And of course - there is no international body overseeing the nuclear industry...

Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update (25 March 2011, 02.50 UTC)
"The three were contracted workers laying cables in the turbine building of the Unit 3 reactor. Two of them were found to have radioactivity on their feet and legs.

These were washed in the attempt to remove radioactivity, but since there was a possibility of Beta-ray burning of the skin, the two were taken to the Fukushima University Hospital for examination and then transferred to Japan's National Institute of Radiological Sciences for further examination. They are expected to be monitored for around four days. It is thought that the workers ignored their dosimeters' alarm believing it to be to be false and continued working with their feet in contaminated water. As of 24 March, 19:30 Japan time, the number of workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant found to have received more than 100 millisieverts of radiation dose totaled 17 including the three contract workers. The remaining fourteen are TEPCO's employees. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) of Japan instructed TEPCO to review the radiation control system immediately in order to avoid similar incidents in the future." (This information is to be found here: www.iaea.org...)

.....Eight other reactors at the Fukushima Daini, Onagawa, and Tokai nuclear power plants were shut down automatically after the earthquake and all are now in cold shutdown. (This update is online, too: www.iaea.org...)

What this update says is, that the Fukushima Daini plant was shut down automatically after the earthquake and is now in cold shutdown. The reactors at Fukushima Daini are in a safe mode, with cooling systems stable and under control. There is no immediate concern regarding the Daini site.

You clarified for me that the IAEA does not enforce legislation etc... that was my mistake... can you confirm for me which body does perform this highly vital international task?

If I may, I'd like to clearify this point once more: As the IAEA has never had a mandate to enforce safety regulations, compel any safety practices, or approve or deny any nuclear energy operations, nuclear safety is strictly the sovereign responsibility of every nation with nuclear activities.
In the field of nuclear safety, the IAEA has the mandate to establish safety standards and to issue recommendations. The implementation of these standards is the responsibility of the Member States.

If a nuclear emergency occurs, international conventions regulate the information flow between the IAEA, the Member State affected and the competent authorities.

In other words: There is no body enforcing legislation - the responsibility lies within the states - Japan in this case.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Here, here is a can of beans from your emperor for your insta-vesectomy!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I agree with you. I think they have got the numbers mixed up, but it shows the damage quite nicely

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Don't forget the time difference. Here in Las Vegas (Pacific Time) the new press releases come at about 11pm, so that is when anything new comes out. Also maybe there is nothing new because no one is at the plants. Those last photos posted... I see NO activity... the cement pumper on #4 is just sitting there and they use the same image from days ago to 'prove' continued pumping

Can't analyze anything if there is no input. Right now for example they said restoration efforts have hit another delay, the water level in the basement.... they need to drain those before they can resume pumping... but they stopped pumping OUT the water because they have no place to put it...

They just keep repeating the same old nonsence... its all might have could have maybe this maybe that

No one knows because no one is looking because they can't get near the reactors IMO

They did just confirm that smoke from an electrical panel at DANAI... Need to watch that one now, because if they are shorting out electrical panels... "Houston we have a problem"

top topics

<< 428  429  430    432  433  434 >>

join