It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 426.htm
<< 423  424  425    427  428  429 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pattonisit
hi everyone

i have a couple of questions i hope you can answer... while my pc probs seem temporarily resolved, i'll quickly get them in...

excuse my ignorance & poor memory of what people have posted... i've been trying to follow the thread all along, but have missed much

anyway, what i'd like to know concerns # 3, the one with the spent MOX fuel in the pool above the reactor...

if it's spent fuel, is the plutonium & uranium mixed & classed as ONE fuel that's stored in that pool, as it's used/spent?

also, as # 3 deals with MOX, am i wrong in thinking both plutonium & uranium (separately/unmixed) would have been within the reactor building awaiting use.... or is the MOX actually prepared & supplied to the plant from elsewhere?

the latest bbc report says plutonium found inside & outside the reactors is "likely to have come from melted fuel rods"

www.bbc.co.uk...

therefore, if plutonium has been detected, which source do you think it'll be from - the MOX spent-fuel pool, or the unused plutonium, ready to be mixed for use?

what i mean is - if MOX is mixed elsewhere, other than the plant, then plutonium detected around the reactor buildings MUST come from the MOX spent-fuel?

i'm too tired & angry to get my head around it.... this beautiful planet is at stake :'(

also - while i can - i just wanna take the opportunity to thank everyone for their fabulous input in this thread, it's been so helpful having your shared knowledge, insights, & thoughts here - your time & research are fully appreciated, so thanks again

best wishes to you all

edit on 30-3-2011 by pattonisit because: being a blonde bimbo without the joy of the blonde hair... & mp

The MOX was mixed at AREVA's processing plant in France. The signature has been matched which confirms this. Japan are currently setting up their own MOX processing plant.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Wertwog
Sorry Redneck, it appears we have a small problem, but there is no threat to human health. Radioactive seaweed washes up on BC shores...

Wait a minute... how did that radioactive spread through seawater THAT fast?

From the article:

While most of the radioactivity falls out over the ocean, some of it has reached the West Coast where it is being deposited with rain. It is mixing with seawater and accumulating in seaweed.

m.theglobeandmail.com...

So, it sounds to me like the radiation came from the air/rain. I doubt there is radioactive seaweed/water via ocean currents (from Japan?) "washing up" on the shores.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

plutonium is made from the uranium in the fission reactor process so the plutonium could have come from any of the rods , but the most likely source is (was) the mox rods.

edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuumm
Found!!! TEPCO president Shimizu hospitalized in Tokyo for high blood pressure.
link

Actually it sounds more like a nervous breakdown.

Embattled Japanese power company chief hospitalized due to 'fatigue'

Tokyo (CNN) -- The president of the embattled utility that owns the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has been hospitalized due to "fatigue and stress," the company said Wednesday.

edit on 30-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

seaweed can absorb seawater pretty fast and even if the ocean currents were only 10-15 miles an hour they had plenty of time to get there , although it is more likely that airborn fallout dropped into the water and then got adsorbed

And I was thinking about your earlier question , I wonder if the small ration sizes for the worker are because they are not very hungry, even with a mild dose of radiation appetite loss is one of the symptoms

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
According to new scientist "Caesium fallout from Fukushima rivals Chernobyl"

www.newscientist.com...

Here are the readings from MEXT in Japan published:
www.mext.go.jp...

Who to believe these days...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknetium

I would believe the higher numbers , if you caught the Reuters article I linked on the previous page it is pretty clear that the vents blew on those three reactors after the Tepco people forgot to put gas in their generator so they were blowing straight out of the cores since day one. , the tragedy is that if someone would have re-fueled those generators it appears all of this could have been avoided.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Aerial view of crippled Fukushima nuclear plant

Four photographs taken by an unmanned aircraft. I can't see that very much was going on at the time outside the reactor buildings or see many fire engines.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
I'm trying to find a way to donate food or money to these people.

best one might be direct through NHK

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
ugh, i have to go now, but i'll post this link... sorry if it's already been done, i don't have time to check back in the thread

Poison particles from nuke plant found in AT LEAST 12 U.S. states as Japan is put on 'maximum' radiation alert

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 30-3-2011 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

The United States has already agreed to send some radiation-detecting robots to Japan to help explore the reactor cores and spent fuel pools at the stricken nuclear plant.

Maybe we will finally get some real hard useful numbers and data?
SOURCE

"A picture is worth a 1000 words"

Image 16 of 24: Elementary school children's bags are seen gathered near the tsunami-hit Okawa Elementary School in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan March 28, 2011. About eighty percent of the students and teachers were killed or are missing after the school was devastated by a tsunami following the March 11 earthquake. REUTERS/Yuriko Naka

The power of mother nature

Only Unit 2 is covered with white concrete housing, seen on left of an iron tower on right, at the stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Okumamachi, Fukushima prefecture, Japan, on Tuesday, March 29, 2011. Other three units, Unit 1 on right of the tower, Unit 4 and Unit 3, on left and right respectively of another iron tower at second from left among the three pylons, stand with only iron frames. Workers have discovered new pools of radioactive water leaking from the nuclear complex that officials believe are behind soaring levels of radiation spreading to soil and seawater. (AP Photo/Kyodo News

Another link full of pictures & blog

Sendai, Japan

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Greenpeace find that their measurements are in line with the governments measurements in Japan however the measurements suggest that people should be evacuated from a wider area. The government need to take more action.
Greenpeace press conference 2011 March 30:
www.ustream.tv...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

some nice pics their, i wish they had posted the original images though so they can be zoomed in to see the real damage.

The pics they have posted on their site have been resized and cannot be zoomed in, but its clear from just looking at the pics that the originals could be zoomed in quite a bit ... but we are not allowed to zoom in ...

Edit to add general note ... I see alot of people posting here about being angry ! ... Dont be angry people, it helps noone and will do nothing but make yourself ill! ...
edit on 30-3-2011 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
if you look at this webcam image of the japanese nuclear plant, you will see steam/smoke rising. It is the latest one as I write this. Lets hope that there is no more explosions etc.

It is fairly obvious how the url is made up so just change the '18' for the hour and the 20110330 for the date. pointscope01.jp...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
reply to post by YarlanZey

Yes i know, im in the dales and its now raining...had to let the dogs out for a piddle and i felt very guilty for doing so.

Im guessing that it hit the U.S a while back then if were just getting it now??

Interesting,

I'm on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors (UK) and after almost a week of very spring-like weather (sunny / warm) I woke-up this morning at around 6am and it was damp and foggy like a November morning.

Woody

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

weather does that ... it cant stay sunny and spring like for ever unfortunetly ... esspecialy in yorkshire hahah ... i dont think ive ever been in yorkshire when its not raining or seemed muggy

im not trying to say that its not an issue, and to ignore "insert nuke love propeganda here" ... but people in this thread, not all but a good few are getting carried away, which its very easy to do ... but try not to!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Have found some more on this site

sulekha

You can increase the size on the webpage and they look better quality.

edit on 30/3/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
BREAKING

It was just announced on NHK TV that a TEPCO official says that smoke was observed at the Fukushima Dai ni power plant at about 6 pm today (March 30) Japan time. The smoke is not now visible.

The official gave no details about what may have caused the smoke.

Please note that this is NOT the same as the Fuskishima Daiichi plant!

I have no graphics or screen shots yet but here is the link to NHK TV Japan (English).

If anyone gets a screen capture of the announcement in text form, please post!

Edit: The smoke came from the Fukushima Dai ni #1 reactor's turbine building. Was sighted at 5:56 pm. Smoke not now visible.

Please note that it's now dark there and that could affect the ability to see smoke...

Mike
edit on 30/3/11 by JustMike because: added eta

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Apart from the fact that most of the mainstream media is funded or indirectly owned by General electric

www.naturalnews.com...

I suspect that another reason for downplaying radioactive health concerns is this:........

How can governments push the "Global warming/Climate change" agenda and carbon taxes based on what might happen in the future when faced with the "anti-nuclear" effects on us right now.

No wonder they are considering raising all the safe limits for ingestion of radioactive products.!!!!!

A further question is with 442 reactors world wide and many more coming on line soon. How high will the safe limit get after subsequent accidents before people in developed countries protest, fight back and regulate the slow poisoning of many nations?

Do you really think there will never be another major nuclear related accident and the further raising of the "safe levels of contamination"?

With 1970's reactors being given licences to operate another 20 years the probability of accidents can only go up even with newer "safer" reactors online the older ones cancel out any increased safety measures when looked at as a whole.

Safety and profit are inversely proportional!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
BREAKING

It was just announced on NHK TV that a TEPCO official says that smoke was observed at the Fukushima Dai ni power plant at about 6 pm today (March 30) Japan time. The smoke is not now visible.

The official gave no details about what may have caused the smoke.

Please note that this is NOT the same as the Fuskishima Daiichi plant!

I have no graphics or screen shots yet but here is the link to NHK TV Japan (English).

If anyone gets a screen capture of the announcement in text form, please post!

Edit: The smoke came from the Fukushima Dai ni #1 reactor's turbine building. Was sighted at 5:56 pm. Smoke not now visible.

Please note that it's now dark there and that could affect the ability to see smoke...

Mike
edit on 30/3/11 by JustMike because: added eta

I did ask in an earlier post what happens if the 50 workers in the evacuation zone are all working/sleeping at Fukishima 1 and Fukishima 2 is left unattended. Sadly you have just answered my question.

Remember it's not 6 reactors at risk it's 10...........!

top topics

<< 423  424  425    427  428  429 >>

join