It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 425.htm
<< 422  423  424    426  427  428 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

Thanks.... for the time being I will keep my eye on the sparrow.
The state reduced my disability life-line cash to only $195.00 a month.
I agree that something very bad is around the corner and I'm glad I do not have kids.
Thank God for my 13 foot camper trailer and a good ole boy who lets me live on his place.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

The color scale is currently showing a total of 5 colors. With "Area E" areas are identified, which is accepted by that effective dose of about 10 milli-Sievert per hour will be charged one with what the data in a 25x25 km 2 box a maximum assessment is due. The "Area A" (purple color) defines a region with a maximum load of 0.3 micro Sievert per hour. This value corresponds to the dose rate of global average background exposure. Due to the unclear position data scaling is not adapted to local data.

Spread of the cloud over East Asia the day after tomorrow 12:00 UTC

The texts in this release are, unless otherwise stated, to the universal time (UTC). Please note the time difference between UTC and Japanese time (9 hours)

source: ZAMG

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

Crazy, crazy story man. Thanks for sharing! In Michigan, life goes on as normal. In fact, very little can be heard these days about the situation in Japan...a little surprising.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
The EPA is preparing to dramatically increase permissible radioactive releases in drinking water, food and soil after “radiological incidents,” according to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

No, they're not----not any more than they have "been prepared" to do this for at least 2 years. Link to the PEER release

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
On the plus side someone is starting to kick some rocks over here in the U.S.

According to the New York Attorney General, the nuclear power plant at Indian Point has sought over 100 exemptions from the fire safety code which may make it extremely difficult to secure the nearly 40-year old facility in an emergency.
...who hope to block Entergy Corp from extending plant operations further. When the plant was recently found in violation of federal safety rules company officials merely sought to be excused from the rules, as opposed to addressing the problems.

In the wake of Japan's crisis, our country's nuclear facilities should be bolstering their safety measures, yet Indian Point is looking to weaken its precautionary measures,” remarked New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

A spokesperson for the plant argued the company put in place alternative safety measures instead, as opposed to federal requirements and argued the plant was perfectly safe. Recent US Nuclear Regulatory Commission data indicated Indian Point is America’s most vulnerable plant to an earthquake since it rests near a fault line, however the NRC, who boasts an invested interests in ongoing nuclear energy, argues the plant is safe and in compliance even though exemptions were granted. ...the entire city of New York City lies in a potential evacuation zone if there was ever an accident.

Rt has an agenda but check this out :

Health officials in the US said rainwater tested in Massachusetts registered low levels of radiation, most likely from the Japanese nuclear power plant damaged by the earthquake and tsunami.

According to Massachusetts commissioner of public health John Auerbach radioiodine-131 was found in a sample of rainwater.

He noted the water supply in the state remained unaffected at present and expressed health officials do not anticipate any health concerns. Massachusetts is not the only state to have detected increased radiation levels in rainwater. A number of western states reported small spikes earlier. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has been performing tests statewide in conjunction with state health officials.

Thus far Nevada, California, Pennsylvania, Washington and other states have shown similar levels of radioiodine-131. Most states have now ordered additional testing to measure the spread and track any increases in radiation levels.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dvrt10
This thread is getting a bit quiet, so I'd thought I'd share a little story with you all.

So I'm at the gym tonight and as I'm walking through the treadmill area, I notice something unusual out of the corner of my eye. I look up and see some guy running on the treadmill wearing a gas mask (and I don't mean one of those flimsy surgical masks -- this was a full on, scary looking, "i survived a nuclear war" gas mask).

I had mixed reactions about this.

My first reaction was one of disbelief. It seems so absurd to me that someone would seriously be working out wearing a gas mask. It's like he was saying I'm really concerned about dying from radiation poisoning, but I can't possibly stop my workout routine and gain some weight. Also, I've never worn a gas mask before, but I cant imagine it's pleasant to breath in ... especially if you're working out and breathing heavily.

My next reaction was one of anger. It really upset me that this guy thought it was okay to go into a crowded public place (my gym is always packed) and scare other people. I realize this guy was scared as well but, seriously, I think it's foolish to go out in public (at this point in time in the US) wearing something like that -- if you want to wear it in private, be my guest.

It wouldn't surprise me if this guy reads this thread and, if so, I ask you on behalf of all the people who use that gym, to please stay away and work out in the privacy of your home while you insist on wearing that thing.

did you ask him if it was for radiation filtering? maybe it has something to do with cardio.
edit on 30-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: removed trollish part

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Thanks for the info.... I sent of a request for prices on the model 25 docimeters

www.owt.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

I agree, Wanderlei Silva trains in a snorkel/gas mask because it helps him focus on his breathing. Is it possible that this man was doing something similar?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I brought up the President being on the David Letterman to show that our commander in chief after getting off the phone with Japan went to New York for a fund raiser and stopped by and is still on the show like nothing in the world is going on.
I'm going to bed....
Thanks guys for your work.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
ohboyohoboyboyo, I hope he talks about the most important thing: basketball....

Here is an interest bit of information on Tepco's tight belt:

The utility had 432 billion yen in cash and equivalents at the end of December, according to its financial statements.
Of its roughly $64 billion in outstanding bonds, the company is due to repay $4.8 billion this year, and another $5.6 billion in 2012

Wow 432 billion in cash and equivalents, but :

"The Japanese government is receiving some advice, but they are relying on the already badly stretched resources of TEPCO to handle this," said Meshkati, ...."

I think 432billion can stretch quite a ways perhaps even to buying off some inspectors:

Inspectors with Japan's Nuclear Energy Safety Organization have recorded 18 safety lapses at Tokyo Electric's 17 nuclear plants since 2005. Ten of them were attributed to mistakes by staff and repairmen. They included failures to follow established maintenance procedures and failures to perform prescribed safety checks. Even so, Tokyo Electric was left on its own to set standards for nuclear plant staff certification, a position some IAEA officials had questioned in 2008. In March 2004, two workers in Tokyo Electric's Fukushima Daini plant passed out when the oxygen masks they were using - originally designed for use on an airplane - began leaking and allowed nitrogen to seep into their air supply. The risks also appear to have made it hard to hire for key positions. In 2008, Toshiba admitted it had illegally used six employees under the age of 18 as part of a series of inspections of nuclear power plants at Tokyo Electric and Tohoku Electric. One of those minors, then aged 17, had participated in an inspection of the Fukushima Daiichi No. 5 reactor, Tokyo Electric said then.

In the chaos of the early response, workers did not notice when the diesel pumps at No. 2 ran out of fuel, allowing water levels to fall and fuel to become exposed and overheat. When the Fukushima plant suffered its second hydrogen blast in three days the following Monday, Tokyo electric executives only notified the prime minister's office an hour later. Seven workers had been injured in the explosion along with four soldiers.

SOoo.. another lie it didn't get swamped by the wave IT RAN OUT OF FUEL BECAUSE IT WAS UNATTENDED , and whatever did happen to those injured?
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Now Sweden has gone the deep end.

Sweden tells citizens to begin taking iodide tablets if within 150 miles of Fukushima — Includes Tokyo

… [T]he Swedish Embassy is recommending on its website that citizens within 250 km of the Fukushima plant take [iodide tablets] once every three days.

An embassy official was unavailable for comment.

“The recommendation by the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority that all Swedes who are staying within a radius of 250 km from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant to take iodide tablets every three days is still valid,” the embassy’s website, last updated Saturday, says. “Best protection against radioactive iodine is to take iodide tablets before the exposure, as doing so afterward will prove too late.” …

This is it.

Evacuate Tokyo.

This recommendation has been changed:

Originally posted by Teknetium
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority (SRSA) has changed the guidelines for Swedish citizen in Japan. The SRSA no longer recommend people within 250 km from Fukushima 1 to take iodine tablets. Reasons for the new recommendations from SRSA is that the situation is stabilizing and that large radioactive discharge from Fukushima is not likely to happen especially Iodine since the reactors was stopped Mars 11, 2011 and the production of radioactive Iodine therefore also was halted and the half life is short so only small amount can be left. Still SRSA recommend not to make unnecessary trips to Japan and to stay away 80 km from the Fukushima 1.

source (in Swedish, use google translate):
www.stralsakerhetsmyndigheten.se...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
hi everyone

i have a couple of questions i hope you can answer... while my pc probs seem temporarily resolved, i'll quickly get them in...

excuse my ignorance & poor memory of what people have posted... i've been trying to follow the thread all along, but have missed much

anyway, what i'd like to know concerns # 3, the one with the spent MOX fuel in the pool above the reactor...

if it's spent fuel, is the plutonium & uranium mixed & classed as ONE fuel that's stored in that pool, as it's used/spent?

also, as # 3 deals with MOX, am i wrong in thinking both plutonium & uranium (separately/unmixed) would have been within the reactor building awaiting use.... or is the MOX actually prepared & supplied to the plant from elsewhere?

the latest bbc report says plutonium found inside & outside the reactors is "likely to have come from melted fuel rods"

www.bbc.co.uk...

therefore, if plutonium has been detected, which source do you think it'll be from - the MOX spent-fuel pool, or the unused plutonium, ready to be mixed for use?

what i mean is - if MOX is mixed elsewhere, other than the plant, then plutonium detected around the reactor buildings MUST come from the MOX spent-fuel?

i'm too tired & angry to get my head around it.... this beautiful planet is at stake :'(

also - while i can - i just wanna take the opportunity to thank everyone for their fabulous input in this thread, it's been so helpful having your shared knowledge, insights, & thoughts here - your time & research are fully appreciated, so thanks again

best wishes to you all

edit on 30-3-2011 by pattonisit because: being a blonde bimbo without the joy of the blonde hair... & mp

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
First post. Been lurking since the Gulf fiasco with BP. Many thanks to those explaining things for the rest of us.

Unfortunately humans seem to learn best from the school of hard knocks.

Being willing to use technologies where a loss of control is possible that can have enormous negative consequences is simply foolish and unacceptable.

The high number of nuclear reactors in the USA is a mighty risky method of creating energy. There are known phenomena that could put any one or all of these in great jeopardy.

For instance our sun has events called coronal mass ejections (CME). It basically throws some of it’s mass outward (as high as billions of tons) at speeds that can reach millions of miles per hour. This happened before in 1859 and is known as the Carrington event. It fried many of the existing telegraph systems in the USA and in Europe.

During peak times of sun activity it has about 3 CME’s per day. During the low activity part of the sun’s cycle 1 CME every 5 days is the norm. The sun’s current cycle is peaking in 2012. At the present time the earth’s magnetic field, (which along with the atmosphere is earths main defense against CME’s), is in a weakened state due to the ongoing pole shift.

If we get hit by a large CME it could take out almost everything that relies on electricity. Power stations, transformers, computers, satellites, vehicles, radios, televisions, cell phones and more could fail in a flash. Things could be severe enough to require years to rebuild the infrastructure.

So what happens to the nuclear plants if cut of from the power grid? I am not familiar enough with them to know what components could receive damage from the electro magnetic pulse and the effect this would have on plant operation. There are plenty of other concerns though. Assuming the generators still work do they have enough diesel on hand to run as long as needed to cool the reactors? Are plans in place to maintain the plant safely in the event of being cut off from everything that is taken for granted? Will employees stay on the job as long as is needed? Anyone who has lived is the USA for a while knows that in the event of a catastrophe along these lines many places would become dangerous (from humans) in very short order. Would you stay on the job with your family in danger?

How many meltdowns would it take to destroy us?

This scenario is unlikely in our lifetimes. Does that somehow make it worth the risk? If you insist on playing Russian Roulette with the universe it is not a question of if but a question of when.

Take action and let our leaders know no more nuclear power plants. Let us gradually phase out those already in existence. As far as I know we only have this one planet to live on. We lose this one and it’s over.
I like to think mankind could evolve into something better. Don’t steal that chance from our descendants.

An explanation of CME’s from NASA

science.nasa.gov...

From Digital Risk Management a brief on the risks and consequences of a CME hitting earth and the second a link to several articles on the crisis in Japan the most recent being Fukushima International Emergency: What is the solution?

www.mi2g.com...//www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/170610.php

www.mi2g.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

the specific Mox fuel was made by a french company and shipped to japan ready to use . The mox is a mixture of "surplus" weapons grade plutonium and uranium in the same rod, the plutonium could have come from either spot as it appears that all three reactor cores have had malfunctioning (read as : blown apart) vents since very near the begin (so they have been venting) and the hydrogen explosion scattered at least one of the "waste' storage pools, so some from column A some from column B

I think that Reuter's has thrown Tepco to the wolves (not that it is inappropriate) from their coverage of the story it is VERY apparent that the events at Fukushima could almost certainly been avoided

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
that link is safe, a military doc, I don't know why Google thinks it's unsafe)

That is typical for a .mil site... it is a tracking function and you must accept the certificate and exception. It stops the 'looky loos'

Nice paper thanks

TEPCO Chairman apologizes for the accident and says CEO is in hospital with illness

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Sorry if been posted

Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors Japan is to decommission four stricken reactors at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant, the operator says. Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) made the announcement three weeks after failing to bring reactors 1 - 4 under control. Locals would be consulted on reactors 5 and 6 which were shut down safely. Harmful levels of radioactivity have been detected in the area. More than 11,000 people are known to have been killed by the devastating 11 March earthquake and tsunami.

BBC

BREAKING NEWS to them but not to us.

and at least it got Japan back on the news again!

Now added to article

Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan has said the country is on "maximum alert".

Thank ..........!

edit on 30/3/11 by MissTiger because: added maximum alert.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

thanks for replying

sorry, my post was a bit garbled... can you clarify - whenever plutonium is detected anywhere outside of the buildings, it's actually MOX they're detecting?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Sorry Redneck, it appears we have a small problem, but there is no threat to human health. Radioactive seaweed washes up on BC shores...

Wait a minute... how did that radioactive spread through seawater THAT fast?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

OSAKA - JAPAN is considering draping crippled reactor buildings at the Fukushima nuclear plant with a fabric to reduce radiation, and using a tanker to siphon off contaminated water, a report said on Wednesday.

The government did not explicitly confirm the report, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Japan's leaders and nuclear experts were discussing 'every possibility, including those mentioned in the press'.

Source

They ARE reading these threads.

Wouldn't covering it just help prevent the spread of more harmful alpha radiation, such as uranium and plutonium?

top topics

<< 422  423  424    426  427  428 >>

join