It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 419.htm
<< 416  417  418    420  421  422 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
For you wonderful Canadians watching this thread, here's the latest CNSC (Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission) radiation readings for key points across the country. I've got to give the CDN government credit for being WAY more forthcoming than the US EPA, who will only say 'don't worry, levels are harmless' as opposed to providing the actual readings.

Heck, they even give you baseline readings for 2010 for comparison.

Source (scroll down and click the link for a .pdf file):

www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca...

Go Canucks! (Americans - that's a hockey playoff reference, Vancouver's team is kickin' a** this year!)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

They just announced there has been progress the lights have been turned on again and up till now they have been working in the dark.

errr how many times are they going to turn these lights on now?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
For you wonderful Canadians watching this thread, here's the latest CNSC (Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission) radiation readings for key points across the country. I've got to give the CDN government credit for being WAY more forthcoming than the US EPA, who will only say 'don't worry, levels are harmless' as opposed to providing the actual readings.

Heck, they even give you baseline readings for 2010 for comparison.

Source (scroll down and click the link for a .pdf file):

www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca...

Go Canucks! (Americans - that's a hockey playoff reference, Vancouver's team is kickin' a** this year!)

Hey be careful there, I'm a AVS fan to the core you guys already abused us. Go AVALANCH!!! I;m still a little touchy a about the subject.. On to the topic at hand.. Maybe its better to have a slow release like there having rather then one big melt down.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissTiger

France says it will send 3 more nuclear experts to Japan to help with efforts to remove highly radioactive water from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Two other French experts are already in Japan and holding talks with the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company. The 5 are from French-based AREVA, one of the world's biggest nuclear energy firms.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy will visit Japan as chair of the Group of 20 nations on Thursday. He will meet Prime Minister Naoto Kan to talk about the possibility of extending further technical assistance to resolve the nuclear crisis.

NHK

Hello, all. I have been lurking on this thread for several days and when I read this post about France "helping" Japan with this disaster I just had to comment. Just recently this French based company, AREVA, signed a contract with the Fukushima plant (and several other Japanese plants) to supply their nuclear needs. I think this Areva company has a vested interest in Fukushima. Which means I probably won't be able to believe a thing that comes out of their mouths. Sigh,. What else is new?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is a non-story now and won't be picked up again unless something big 'explody' happens or people start dropping like flies. Sorry folks, move along. GE/JapGov/TEPCO are free to go about their "dirty work".

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
This is a non-story now and won't be picked up again unless something big 'explody' happens or people start dropping like flies. Sorry folks, move along. GE/JapGov/TEPCO are free to go about their "dirty work".

I'm looking at the BBC news front page right now - there are 12 main stories and none of them are Japan related. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find anything. As far as the BBC are concerned, nothing much happening in Japan

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
KyodoNews headlines for 29th...notice anything missing? (BTW - Not formatted real well but you get the gist)

english.kyodonews.jp...

Honda to cut output in U.S., Canada due to parts supply shortage
BOSTON, March 29FEATURE: Boston doctor, ex-English teacher, rushes to aid quake-hit Kesennuma
LOS ANGELES, March 29Los Angeles mayor calls for long-term efforts to aid quake-hit Japan
WASHINGTON, March 29American Red Cross donations to Japan top $120 million
SENDAI, March 30Labor offices receive 7,000 job inquiries following quake
NEW YORK, March 29Toyota may face repair parts shortage in U.S.
LONDON, March 29Brit creates 'Quakebook' to help disaster victims
TOKYO, March 30Gov't eyes making quake-hit cities 'special zones' for reconstruction
ABOARD USS ESSEX, March 30U.S. commanders say to continue support for disaster-hit areas
ABOARD USS ESSEX, March 29FEATURE: U.S. forces assist quake-hit Japan in 'Tomodachi' operations
OSAKA, March 29Japan soccer fans call for overseas help at post-quake charity match
TOKYO, March 29Gov't may ask farmers to delay rice planting amid radiation scare
TOKYO, March 29Latest casualty figures for March 11 quake, tsunami
TOKYO, March 29British Airways willing to return to Haneda as soon as possible
TOKYO, March 29Hitachi, IHI resume plant operations in eastern Japan
TOKYO, March 29Kan eyes over 2 tril. yen extra budget for post-quake reconstruction
BEIJING, March 29Chinese ship with 20,000 tons of disaster-relief fuel heads to Japan
ABOARD USS ESSEX, March 29U.S. ship captain says to continue support for disaster-hit areas
OSAKA, March 29Japan soccer fans call for overseas help at post-quake charity match
SYDNEY, March 29N.Z. gov't announces authority to lead rebuilding of Christchurch
TOKYO, March 29Radiation scare overseas affecting steel exports: industry body chief
IWAKI, Japan, March 29Ghosn eyes reopening quake-hit Fukushima factory in mid-April
KABUL, March 29Afghan gov't donates $1 million to Japan as quake relief
TOKYO, March 29Gov't to push for solar energy in quake reconstruction plan: Edano
TOKYO, March 29Kan eyes 2-3 tril. yen extra budget for post-quake reconstruction
TOKYO, March 29Quake-hit Japan receives over 1 bil. yen in donations from abroad
SENDAI, March 29Students in quake-hit areas express hopes, despair in interviews
TOKYO, March 29Pandas to debut at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo Fri. after delay by quake
KABUL, March 29Afghan gov't donates $1 million to Japan as quake relief
TOKYO, March 29URGENT: Kan eyeing 2-3 trillion yen extra budget for reconstruction
TOKYO, March 29Sarkozy to visit Japan on Thurs. to show support, solidarity
BANGKOK, March 29Thailand to send 2 generators to Japan
TOKYO, March 29No confirmation of radioactive water overflowing into sea: agency
TOKYO, March 29Kan aims to create quake-relief budget within April
TOKYO, March 29Latest casualty figures for March 11 quake, tsunami
TOKYO, March 29Radioactive trench water not confirmed to have overflowed: agency
SYDNEY, March 29N.Z. gov't announces authority to lead rebuilding of Christchurch
PARIS, March 29France to send 2 experts to Japan to tackle nuclear plant crisis
TOKYO, March 29Freeze on planned corporate tax cut an option, suggests Noda
SENDAI, March 29FEATURE: JET program English teachers in Miyagi say they won't leave

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

To be fair, Kyodo News dedicated a whole separate page for Nuke-related stuff a couple of weeks ago ...

Nuclear crisis (now fully accessible)

Presumably, "full accessible" means without any subscription and probably also in multiple languages. But, I could be wrong about that,.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My next hair-brained idea:

Take some high temperature thermoconductive spines and out them in an iron maiden type device, use these spines to bleed off heat from the inner portions of the blob of corium. At the same time, you could cool the outer portion of the corium by circulating water. Perhaps they could even be needle-like spines to inject boron or other material into the main mass to break it up somehow.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Interesting "aerial photos" mentioned, but not the US-provided ones?

[NHK] Aerial photos reveal Fukushima plant damage

Aerial photographs of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant show the scope of the devastation caused by tsunami and hydrogen explosions.

NHK obtained the high resolution photos taken from an unmanned plane on March 20th and 24th. An aerial survey firm in Niigata Prefecture, Air Photo Service, took them at the request of the plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company.

One photo shows a large hole on the roof of the turbine building of the No.3 reactor. It was apparently created when debris hit the roof in a hydrogen explosion.
Part of a pipe is missing between the reactor building and an exhaust stack.

Heavy oil tanks were swept away from the pier by the tsunami and drifted 150 meters westward, blocking a road for vehicles needed for restoration work.

Containers and passenger cars are piled up at the foot of a hill to the west of the No.4 reactor.

Another photo shows pump trucks connected by hoses in a line that stretches from the pier to the first four reactors.
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:48 +0900 (JST)

Note: Emphasis in quoted material added by poster (i.e. me).

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
reply to post by mrbillshow

To be fair, Kyodo News dedicated a whole separate page for Nuke-related stuff a couple of weeks ago ...

Nuclear crisis (now fully accessible)

Presumably, "full accessible" means without any subscription and probably also in multiple languages. But, I could be wrong about that,.

Which would be great if there was any actual nuclear news evident. Now it's all smiley faces and human interest stories.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
reply to post by Teknetium

I guess their Switzerland is in an alternative universe in which the Fukushima Dai-Ichi reactors haven't been melting down ...

Sweden

Switzerland

Deny ignorance.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, I'm sure there are many hundreds like me that follow this thread minute by minute. We might not comment but we are very concerned. Thanks to you, Redneck and many others, I now know much more about nuclear power, reactors and meltdowns. I look to you and others on this thread for information and guidence. Many on here have busy lives but have spent time giving concise, pratical and logical information that warrents applause.
We all thank you

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The fact that some of you have reported that some folks wherever you may live believe that the nuclear Armageddon is under control, or safely controlled is as worrisome for me as the whole radioactive mess!

What is wrong with us, why are we so apathetic? when did we let them win and take away the few valuable things we had, like our feelings of empathy and our wholeness of being?
When did we stop caring about being educated, when was knowledge taken in as something negative? or "nerd like" right now someone educated that cares about the general state of things is told to "lighten up" or "get laid", or even worse labeled a "freak" as in abnormal.

This general state of ignorant denial selfishness is as I was pointing out earlier inculcated from a very young age, it seems as if we were only allowed to care for the new sports sensation or redundant gadget out there, the glorifying of the selfish basterd is on the other hand praised.

I´m weary of our youth, I´m weary of ourselves being incapable of resolving this deal breaking issue!

It would be great if we helped a bit by commenting possible solutions to the problems at hand ,a fresh set of eyes and minds can indeed turn the world around, answers can come in the most obtuse shapes.
Unfortunately, They wont move a finger, they have the greatest brightest minds working for them money or equipment isn't a problem for them they can conquer almost everything, we currently have some pretty amazing nanotech that could turn things around for the best, but guess what, they aren't doing it.
They aren't giving it all we have got technologically or scientifically. ATS members have come up with more options than just sandbagging the cores if anyone could really get near.
I agree with some members of ATS this is a clear indication of mass depopulation, its got all the wordings for it allow me:

-First of all, the builders ignored seismic records and only took into account less than 100 years or so
-The buildings where pushed to the Japanese by American and European contractors
-The plants themselves had a long history of cover ups and accidents over the years because they weren't being tended like they should
-MOX fuel was used in reactor 3, when clearly those plants weren't meant to be put to such stress, clearly a money making scheme
-The disaster strikes, things were destroyed, the structures severely compromised
-The media begins covering the matter in its usual sensationalist approach
-Things get really out of hand, possible meltdowns from the first week, or containment breaches unreported
-The media is told to shut up, instead covering the wars with G.
-The media and Japanese government say all is fine , but do not reduce the exclusion zone, and say radiation near the plant is getting worse
-No mention is ever made upon the ecological footprint of radiation, nature can take it they say.
-Misleading and doublespeak is the norm, no clear indication on official measurements as all are given with different metrics
-No official clear facts are known, all info is kept hidden
-The US monitors the situation with UAVs, and no info comes out of either side
-Weeks go by and they admit that building integrity was compromised from day one
-Plutonium is found in the plants in the first week
-The million times mistake comes, and the government forbids TEPCO to making any more mistakes, so info comes out even more filtered
-Independent sources are banned from taking their own radiation measurements in Tokyo

When your children come with different contradicting yarns about things they did you can just smell them lying, you dont even need much evidence when you know someone dear to you is telling lies.
They are lying for any reason they deem worth doing it, avoiding mass panic, human stampedes, human bacchanals in the streets, or simply because they feel we are either too stupid or otherwise, and simply do not care or seem to be unable to connect the dots
It pains me to see when they are right.

So am I reading too deep into things? Is the government doing all it can? are we kept well informed? have our best interests been put in first place instead of their wealth? do they really care for any of us?

I´m not writing this in a gloomy mood, or with any catastrophic mindset, I like to asses the problems with as much variables as I can gather, and then make up my mind, right now, my mind is set!
Adapt or be adapted by the awesome force of radiation!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Passing observations.

I see many references to the big bad nuclear industry, the big bad corporations and evident greed and corruption.

Well, you may be correct but welcome to the real world. Since we have a lull in the information chain right now I'll do some navel gazing of my own. Some of you won't like it, oh well.

I expect corporations to do all kinds of things to try to lower their costs and provide products and services to their customers at the lowest cost possible while at the same time returning as big a dividend as possible to their investors. It's what they are supposed to do to not only to gain market share but also to remain competitive with their adversaries. It's called capitalism and if you don't like it then move to the people's paradise of Cuba or North Korea.

People/customers demand low prices whether it's their Levis, food or home electricity and industry responds. I've seen people get more upset at a price increase of .25 in their Big Macs then the fact their gubmint takes 25-45% of their paycheck every week. But complaining about business cutting corners and trying to lower their costs is like giving out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. That's what their supposed to do and to whine about it runs contrary to the very goals we ask them to achieve.

Modern democratic societies set up a system where their interests are protected against abuses and safety concerns (like nuclear energy) by people and entities whose interest may not be the same due to the way our competitve capitalist system is set up, and that is our governments and elected officials. If there has been a breakdown then while we can certainly place blame where the rubber hits the road but ultimately we need to look at the people who have taken a solemn oath to look out for OUR interests.

I'm going to end this rant with the observation if something is broke in our political and social system it's the money that is allowed to influence our governments and representatives. There may be a limit on how much an individual, or corporation or trade union can donate to an individual candidate but when we allow those same entities to donate millions of dollars to political parties only a stooge would think that IOU isn't made good somewhere down the road. I'm not a fan of Alan Keyes but in his ill fated run at the presidency he made one comment that stuck with me. "If you don't vote, you don't contribute". In other words, only citizens should be allowed to donate to politicians or political parties (with appropriate maximums). Not corporations, not trade unions, not special interest organizations like trial attorneys or the nuclear or medical industry.

Until we get "big money" out of the political system the little guys like you and me will never be taken care of the way we should be or they way the system was originally supposed to work.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Good evening everyone.

I tried to keep up, but with this thread moving so fast, I had to skip a few pages. As I understand it, there are slightly elevated readings of I-131 across the US, TEPCO has finally admitted to at least one full meltdown, and they have found traces of Pu-239 across the Fukushima plant premises from spent MOX fuel rods.

Is that about correct?

If so, only one thing surprises me any, and that is that the I-131 levels are slightly higher than I expected. Here's what you need to do if you are concerned:

Showering, etc. is fine. Iodine is not absorbed through the skin, and the amounts are still in such low doses that external radiation effects are negligible. The main concern with I-131 is the accumulation in the thyroid gland, especially in young children. That accumulation cannot happen unless the I-131 is ingested.

So drink bottled water from other locations.

I am not going to advise taking KI pills just yet, as the readings are so low and seem to have stabilized at that level. If you feel you must take them, please please please do so responsibly and intelligently! KI pills are not a substitute for food; you only need one every two or three days to completely overload your system with iodine (which is the idea; if the body doesn't need iodine, it won't absorb as much). Also remember that KI pills have side effects... be alert to what your body is telling you.

I would avoid seaweed from the area (I understand some people eat the stuff?!?), as seaweed contains a lot of iodine anyway and therefore would act as a natural concentrator. The same with any produce that is high in iodine.

00nunya00 mentioned a while back buying powdered milk... useless. You have to add water, which is the culprit.

Basically stay calm and stay informed as much as possible. Worrying about cancer is probably more carcinogenic than I-131.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
00nunya00 mentioned a while back buying powdered milk... useless. You have to add water, which is the culprit.

Sure, unless you add bottled water.

And really, while you're on the subject, shouldn't you mention one of the MOST dangerous substances to avoid in the event of I-131 fallout----DAIRY?!? There's way more data on the bioaccumulation of I-131 in dairy than most other foods out there. Plenty of info on why dairy will be MUCH more dangerous than even iodine-rich produce in the coming months. One or two veggies? Not much. Cow's milk? TONS.
edit on 29-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
The fact that some of you have reported that some folks wherever you may live believe that the nuclear Armageddon is under control, or safely controlled is as worrisome for me as the whole radioactive mess!

What is wrong with us, why are we so apathetic? when did we let them win and take away the few valuable things we had, like our feelings of empathy and our wholeness of being?

When did we stop caring about being educated, when was knowledge taken in as something negative?
, or even worse labeled a "freak" as in abnormal.

So am I reading too deep into things? Is the government doing all it can? are we kept well informed? have our best interests been put in first place instead of their wealth? do they really care for any of us?

I´m not writing this in a gloomy mood, or with any catastrophic mindset, I like to asses the problems with as much variables as I can gather, and then make up my mind, right now, my mind is set!
Adapt or be adapted by the awesome force of radiation!

I think your article pretty much sums it up. The story is officially squashed, move along, there is nothing to see (They have made sure of that).

Today I read in various places that the core of reactor 2 has gone through the floor. This evening news in the USA was all about the excellent work being done to control the reactors and radioactive waste. They spent all of two minutes on it.

No mention that the head of the plant is missing. no mention of the reactor melting out the bottom of the pressure vessle, no mention about the evacuation zone being expanded, no samples from sea life in the area. No new numbers from the flooded basement.

It's a blackout, tomorrow there will be even less information, and posts to this thread will languish, who I wonder will have the last post to this thread?

Questions;
1> What is the latest analysis of the flooded basement water?
2> How many casualties are there from plant personnel?
3> Where did the plant manager go? Is he dead or just out of there?
5> Whats the story behind the dead body discovered near the plants? Who was he? Did they ever recover the body?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

i REALLI think they are EVERYTHING i read in the news is like this thread, crazy

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Bloomberg

Tepco’s Damaged Reactors May Take 30 Years, $12 Billion to Scrap
March 29, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT

By Shigeru Sato, Yuji Okada and Tsuyoshi Inajima

March 30 (Bloomberg) -- Damaged reactors at the crippled Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant may take three decades to decommission and cost operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. more than 1 trillion yen ($12 billion), engineers and analysts said.

Four of the plant’s six reactors became useless when sea water was used to cool them after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami knocked out generators running its cooling systems. The entire station north of Tokyo will likely be decommissioned, Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said yesterday.

The damaged reactors need to be demolished after they have cooled and radioactive materials are removed and stored, said Tomoko Murakami, a nuclear researcher at the Institute of Energy Economics, Japan. The process will take longer than the 12 years needed to decommission the Three Mile Island reactor in Pennsylvania following a partial meltdown, said Hironobu Unesaki, a nuclear engineering professor at Kyoto University.

“Lack of public support may force the decommissioning of all six reactors,” said Daniel Aldrich, a political science professor at Purdue University in Indiana. Tepco “will try to salvage two if it can find public support, which may be unlikely.”

www.businessweek.com...
edit on Tue Mar 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

top topics

<< 416  417  418    420  421  422 >>

join