It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 417.htm
<< 414  415  416    418  419  420 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

Well the thing is we here can do little else other than show the facts and interpret the real situation. If the people in Japan are not motivated to do anything about their own government there is nothing we can do

HOWEVER Last few days I have seen NHK news casters crying (literally) and starting to doubt the official story and asking hard questions.

The Japanese teens via Twitter have taken affirmative action and set up a network showing maps of roads blocked, bridges out, where to get food and medical help etc etc... One official report said no more warm clothing was needed in an area... a teen went down there with boxes of warm clothing and found they did indeed still need it...

So they are taking notice and are starting to take action

Even NHK listed a twitter address that you can send comments to.

And since we know Fox News is watching this thread, as are other media... I notice today Fox asked the same questions about where all the water being pumped IN is going to... nice to see them finally asking the same question

edit on 29-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes that would be good and one where the treeline does not obscure the view.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
reply to post by Destinyone

And what has been gained?
The media spin doctors have succeeded in smearing almost every group that dares to fight back through demonstrations in our so called "freedom of speech"
Chatting and commenting in facebook doesn't quite cut it as a political budging tool, unless its regarding some superficial menial matter.

Real issues are handled by real people, real HUMAN beings, face to face, now dont get me wrong, great idea that as many people as we can knows that the media isn't helping much to help solve the problem, but as linguists say, its all in the meaning of the words, the INTERNET is a "Virtual" place, its seems like a real place, but its not located anywhere, its made out of concepts, its made out of bits and bytes, naturally all the actions taken in and around the Internet are VIRTUAL.

We need better generations, less oblivious to the world in general, its the younglings the ones that will have to solve this issue, as it wont go away by itself, we need to help the younger generations to CARE about something other than themselves or the things they own!

The exception defines the rule, I know and have met very interesting individuals, teens and children and young adults that are aware and want to do something better, but the sad fact is that most simply dont care, or worse yet, dont want to care because its too depressing, too far away, too tired to do something else than play with video games or whatever kids do these days...

Virtual actions call for virtual solutions.
How can our modern societies be so jaded and disconnected from everything is for me a greater tragedy than the nuclear plants melting down, that we allowed the human spirit and imagination to get so tangled in disbelief and denial.

I´m afraid that the only sane solution would have been not building those plants in the first place, its similar to the "tragedy" of housing getting washed away when the dried river bed returns to life and water flows once more.
The answers aren't so obvious, the solution implies greater sacrifices, who amongst us will step up and take our lives back?

I´m a firm believer that the only things we can change are on a personal level, and if the change is true, the fractal nature of the universe will find ways to overflow our limitations and produce lasting effects in our environment, this time for the better!

That's all fine and dandy...unfortunately, my brain space is occupied by a far more urgent matter at the moment.

The possible, no, probable, multiple meltdowns occurring in Japan. BTW, I'm sure Egypt would have a different opinion of the importance of social networks.

I appreciate, and agree with much of what you wrote...but, I'm going to focus on hoping we HAVE a world for the next generations. The one thing that I can't shake is this....This is a whole new ball game...the old rules don't apply. I just Pray someone comes up with some new rules real soon. If not, we lose no matter what.

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Ok this could be stupid... Everyone is looking for high tech remedies. Maybe they could use a snow machine like they use at ski lodges? Would throwing something this cold at a reactor cause problems? What about ice from ice plants?

Could they also use sub zero air cooling around the reactor to help?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Thank you for your perspective.

Thank you also to everyone who's been posting ideas. It's near midnight and I must get some shut-eye but before I get outta here for the night I'd like to repeat something I said before. Forgive me for saying it again...

No matter how far-out your ideas may be, please...post anything that might lead to even a chance of a possibility of a solution. Let's support each other. Anything is worth considering.

People, I've got three grandchildren. I'm blessed. My only daughter's expecting her second one very soon and so that'll make four. I'm richly blessed. I know that.

But I look at that picture of the sun rising over Fukushima...

Oh, Lord...

You all know what I'm saying. You all have people you love.

You're all great. You care.

Goodnight. If you have some, please light some incense for the people of Japan.

Mike

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Ok this could be stupid... Everyone is looking for high tech remedies. Maybe they could use a snow machine like they use at ski lodges? Would throwing something this cold at a reactor cause problems? What about ice from ice plants?

Sadly due to the temps involved, it would just make more steam I fear...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I'm going to agree.

And as an off-topic aside, it's always funny when we try to judge a generation based on their teenage years. If our teens were any great indication of our future actions as adults, the world would have been done for around 3,000 BCE. Teens have never been knows as "wise thinkers" and "proactive leaders" so the actions of our latest generations are heartening to me, personally. I've seen some amazing things come from teens.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Could they also use sub zero air cooling around the reactor to help?

Doesn't sound stupid to me...here's a tag-on to your idea. Instead of snow, Dry Ice.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
Dry Ice is frozen carbon dioxide, a normal part of our earth's atmosphere. It is the gas that we exhale during breathing and the gas that plants use in photosynthesis. It is also the same gas added to water to make soda water. Dry Ice is particularly useful for freezing, and keeping things frozen because of its very cold temperature: -109.3°F or -78.5°C. Dry Ice is widely used because it is simple to freeze and easy to handle using insulated gloves. Dry Ice changes directly from a solid to a gas -sublimating - in normal atmospheric conditions without going through a wet liquid stage. For more information on carbon dioxide see: www.co2info.com...

HOW DRY ICE IS MADE
The first step in making dry ice is to compress carbon dioxide gas until it liquefies, at the same time removing the excess heat. The C02 gas will liquefy at a pressure of approximately 870 pounds per square inch at room temperature. Next, the pressure is reduced over the liquid carbon dioxide by sending it through an expansion valve into an empty chamber. The liquid will flash, with some turning into gas causing the remainder to cool. As the temperature drops to -109.3°F, the temperature of frozen CO2, some of it will freeze into snow. This dry ice snow is then compressed together under a large press to form blocks or extruded into various sized pellets. Dry Ice is much heavier than traditional ice, weighing about double.

DRY ICE MAKERS
Dry Ice machines are available in all sizes and use liquid CO2. Hand held ones make soft Dry Ice that dissipates quicker. Large commercial machines use hydraulic presses to compress the Dry Ice snow with up to 60 Tons of pressure. It can produce a 55 pound block in under 60 seconds.

ETA: the fact it doesn't melt to a liquid appeals to me...no pesky glow juice to collect and store.
Also, Japan already has huge dry ice making units for their shipping industry. Fish.It's also heavier than air, the gas produced by it would prevent fires. In WWII, (the U.S.) would flood the fuel supply tanks with CO2 to prevent fires.
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Has anyone seen any official news that they are now stating that 3 of the reactors are in partial - meltdown? I saw a breaking news banner on CNN that stated that, but that is the only place.

Also, two things I have to get off my chest:

1. I am hoping that SOME day our TVs will be touch screens and when they have these "Breaking News" banners they can be clicked on for more information. Wouldn't that be nice!! They would have to back things up with sources! Make the media conform to the ATS standard of "cite your source".

2. I heard a radio report on the anniversary of Ten Mile Island yesterday. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't TMI a partial melt-down of 1 reactor and rated a 5? So why is it that 2 (3?) reactors in partial-meltdown isn't rated higher?

OK.... I feel a little better now.... sorry for the "partial'-rant!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

also the guy said iodine has a half life of only 8 days ... shouldn't this mean it's at safe levels after a few weeks?

well it's all going to depend on the amount put out...it all just isn't going to go away in 8 days.. and at this point we don't know the amount put out yet...or when it's going to stop

If fission is ongoing it will continue to create radioactive iodine. Eventually there will be a plateau in the levels where just as much is decaying as is being created. So far when one fission reaction has stopped another seems to have started and we can look forward to elevated radioactive iodine levels for ... months?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That is exactly my point!
and what I´m trying to get across here!
PERSONAL MOTIVATION!

The same reason as you have pointed out, that we are here discussing these matters while we could as easily just be picking our noses!
Where is this same drive in the rest? why do we do not care as a WHOLE society, instead of being the HOLES in society!

If it not were for the collective think tank that ATS sometimes is, then we would have nothing!
Dont get me wrong, my area of research is the ontological noosphere, words and meanings my research subjects, there is so much we can do here and so much we CANT!

this is better than nothing, but why do we have to retort to being content with crumbs while the fat cats continue to corrode this world?, our future, the lives of our children?

I believe we are now at a turning point, either we break the molds and start taking matters in our own hands, such as, breaking the media headlock in Japan by organizing civilians who are motivated enough to report independent findings, privately funding satellite scans, organizing research efforts on radiation and long term effects by independent facilities.
We are told not to do stuff like children, the government takes a paternalistic approach to its policies, it tells us not to do things, but offers no real solution or course of action than staying put accepting our radiative fates!

This thinking out of the box is a start of course, ages ago we didnt even have this!
But still there is so much we can do, by doing what the government should be doing right now! keeping us informed and being honest about the situation, and that is not happening , or wont happen until we all glow in the dark!

Everyones comments are much appreciated, this is how civilization should work, by retroactively feeding information and reinterpreting data in an educated open mindset...

Still, some of us are on our way out, having lived full lives, what about the next generations? well, they should build on our foundations, not on our rubble!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Link to a post by EnhancedInterrogator in this thread with a summary of two partial and one full "suspected" meltdowns.

The level was updated a day or so ago on RSOE to a 7.

Malfunctioning at the cooling system (Susp. Level of INES 7- Chernobyl like - accident)

Not good.

edit on 29-3-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I am confused. If 2 or possibly 3 nuclear reactors are currently melting down shouldn't that be global headline news? I am barely seeing any mention of this in the press. A Guardian article and a Fox News piece but that is about it.

Did I misread something in the latest reports??? Someone help me understand the main stream view of the Fukushima crisis. Are the reactors melting down? How dangerous is this situation? Frankly I don't get it????

I am not a doom and gloom chaser. If the situation is stable and not serious could someone let me know. Seriously!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You would think a complete meltdown was more serious, especially as it seems to be an unknown, but there are so many conflicting reports that it can be hard to tell at times.

Maybe its all to minimise panic and control the masses (rather than the actual situation which appears to be beyond anyone's control now).
edit on 29/3/2011 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
I am confused. If 2 or possibly 3 nuclear reactors are currently melting down shouldn't that be global headline news? I am barely seeing any mention of this in the press. A Guardian article and a Fox News piece but that is about it.

Did I misread something in the latest reports??? Someone help me understand the main stream view of the Fukushima crisis. Are the reactors melting down? How dangerous is this situation? Frankly I don't get it????

I am not a doom and gloom chaser. If the situation is stable and not serious could someone let me know. Seriously!

General Electric built the nuclear plants.

General Electric owns CNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC.

General Electric pays no taxes and fills our heads with static.

What is really going on? Pull out your radiation meter and look at it yourself, it's the only true answer you will get today.

--
Who owns the New Media?
edit on 29-3-2011 by SDoradus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

It is NOT stable. It IS serious. The media has been in over their head playing catch up on all things nuclear. TEPCO has had an isolationist view and refused outside help when it could have mattered. I am not a doom or gloomer either, but this one has been steadily declining to the point of no return at this plant. My opinion. There are far more qualified experts on this thread who have said the only answer now is evacuation. We can only pray by some miracle that some new answers are found. The old answers don't even come close to addressing the crisis now. Sorry..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

General Electric build the nuclear plants.

General Electric owns CNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC.

General Electric pays no taxes and fills our heads with static.

What is really going on? Pull out your radiation meter and look at it yourself, it's the only true answer you will get today.

I thought the Rothchild clan owned the media? So are you saying that the Rothchild lot own general electric and the nuclea stations?????

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Yes I believe the situation is serious, that is my opinion also. I guess there are going to have to be bodies and mass panic before this is a "story".in the press.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Himal

Didn't a numerologist post a couple of days back in this thread that the big steam explosion would happen on April 2nd?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Isolation of the fuel rods and disaster potential compartmentalization:

All the fuel rods left in the pools or scattered on the ground need to be moved and secured, along with any additional radioactive “debris” from the “steam” explosions.
First we need heavy equipment “drones”. It’s time for the Japanese military to call an immediate meeting with top engineers and executives from Hitachi, equipment manufacturers, space industry, robotics industry, global nuclear experts, etc. The plan is to create a remotely controlled assembly (dumb-bot) to be placed into heavy equipment cabs. The assembly will be sized like a human and able to move controls on the equipment. If you have any experience with heavy equipment you will know that controls are hydraulic and have simple range of movements, unlike complex robots, relatively simple. The “human-like” dumb-bot allows for quick replacement of the control assembly, assuming high failure rate from the extreme conditions. The dumb-bot is equipped with 360 degree video cameras to view all directions (the dumb-bot’s head doesn’t need to move or “think”). All electronics and cameras are shielded (use space industry standards as on satellites).
Now for the operator; he can be anywhere that the control assembly signal can be relayed to as in drone aircraft. Just put him in a standard equipment cab with360 video screens and the controls are connected to the electronics.
Yes, this is a “Rube Goldberg idea”, I think it may have been in one of his drawings. But this could be up and running in 24 hours if we had a military chain of command and some true leaders at the top.

Another idea for the control rods. They must be hot. Lift them out of the pond with dumb-bot crane or machinery. They could be moved a few a time with a self aligning pickup plate (think bowling pin machine). As they come out they are spray coated with a mix of boric acid and ceramics, and maybe a temporary binding agent (adhesive like material that burns off). As the rod heats up it is encapsulated in ceramic and transfers heat out while protecting the fuel from the atmosphere. Rods are placed into lead lined dump trucks with N2 cooled water containers and moved miles offsite to temporary cooling ponds.

To all ATS members. Don’t tell me why this can’t be done. Add your input until we have workable ideas and then email them to those who can make them a reality. We need someone to put up a workgroup website and invite all concerned scientist, engineers, etc. What about the Union of Concerned Scientists? I challenge them to set it up and DO something. We no longer need concerned scientists we need working scientists.

I live on the West Coast. This is now an attack on my Country as well as the entire world. I hold responsible all those who could have helped and did not….governments, corporations, individuals. Today there was a meeting of Global suits to discuss divvying up of Libya. I hope to see an immediate meeting of all those who consider themselves Global leaders to muster the technology, knowledge, and skills of the globe to address this apocalypse of ignorance, incompetence, greed, etc.

To the “leaders”. The water, the land, and the air are being poisoned.
The ground has begun to shake beneath you. God has given you your station in life and He can take it from you. Has it not been written that there shall be a time of great troubles upon earth? And in those days that the Lord shall do mighty works as in the days of old? We have brought Fukushima upon ourselves, but woe unto us all when God shall rain down fire and Judgment from on High. If we have not reverence for the Creator, shall He not turn the whole Creation against us? Pray that God shall send us help, for He is plenteous in Mercy.
Be prudent therefore and do all that you can while you have time.

new topics

top topics

<< 414  415  416    418  419  420 >>

join