It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 414.htm
<< 411  412  413    415  416  417 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by lasertaglover

All that would do now is blast hundreds of tons of radioactive materials out in all directions..

That would likely make a bad situation itmuch, MUCH worse.

Not necessarily. Strategically placed explosive devices, could greatly alleviate the situation by separating the fuel rods, hence abating a good amount of the fusion activity...

It's a last means aggressive approach to cooling the rods. Dumping sea water didn't work.

Granted, it's the worst case scenario...But, we might be running into that brick wall real soon.

Des

ETA: for the politically correct... The Kinetic Rearrangement of Rods...

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
I hope you're wrong, if they are forced to abandon the site, then it is game over!

So do I but I have been watching closely for any signs that they are still working...

but..

CEO has flown the coup...
The workers are kept on site with minimal food (how can they keep up strength for all the work (spraying water, running wires, placing sandbags) that we hear reported daily?
Workers are sleeping on site under lead 'blankets" WTF???
They have no contact with the outer world
We keep hearing reports that TEPCO has no idea on where the leaks are, what the water levels are, no one is working in #2 at all so that one at least is abandoned...

WHY the government still lets TEPCO run the show is beyond belief at this point
As reported on FOX news the GE person says that #2 is in meltdown and the fuel is sitting on the floor under the reactor. Sure... that is why no one can go near that plant and work has been suspended.

It just is agravating that the NHK reports can say they abandoned work but don't state what that REALLY means
edit on 29-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Like we discussed here yesterday, it all comes down to some kind of weponizing of the spent fuel by Tepco and other government departments. Thats probably why all the secrecy and all....

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What if they drill under the plants diagonally and place directional charges in order to catapult the rods into the ocean? (Detonate Vacuum bombs)

I really just want to see bombs save the day for once.

edit on 29-3-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
What if they drill under the plants on a diagonally and place directional charges in order to catapult the rods into the ocean? (Detonate Vacuum bombs)

Yeah that's the ticket...bring in the Dudes from Myth Busters...they can do it

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Oh good grief...

The latest mishap came Tuesday, when three workers trying to connect a pump outside the Unit 3 reactor were splashed by radioactive water that gushed from a pipe. Though they were wearing suits meant to be waterproof and protect against high levels of radiation, nuclear safety official Hidehiko Nishiyama said the men were soaked to their underwear with the contaminated water.

They quickly washed it off and were not injured, officials said.

Soaked to their UNDERWEAR?

The contaminated water has been emitting four times as much radiation as the government considers safe for workers. It must be pumped out before electricity can be restored and the regular cooling systems powered up. That has left officials struggling with two crucial but contradictory efforts: pumping in water to keep the fuel rods cool and pumping out contaminated water.

Officials are hoping tanks at the complex will be able to hold the water, or that new tanks can be trucked in. On Tuesday, officials from the Nuclear Safety Commission, an expert panel of nuclear watchdogs, said other possibilities include digging a storage pit for the contaminated water, recycling it back into the reactors or even pumping it to an offshore tanker.

www.foxnews.com...

So they are hoping and waiting...

"The situation is very grave," Edano told reporters Tuesday.

Well they got one bit of truth out

edit on 29-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What if they drill under the plants diagonally

The plants are barely above sea level... not too sure drilling beneath them would work

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Yes there is worth, many claim they are difficult to transport but I think that is just being too careful. The fact of the matter is, a single fuel rod isolated away melting down is easier to manage than hundreds of them packed together in a pool. It would be so much easier to stop single rods from hitting the water table than all of them pooled into a single gooey blob of radioactive lava. I mentioned an idea to do this almost a week ago, although I think that window has almost entirely slammed shut.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why o Why???? Why is it still treated as a company-wide (TEPCO) problem? Why is the Japanese govt. not stepping in and taking charge? Why are the world leaders not having a G8 or a G20 emergency meeting over this?
Why do I feel like only the people on ATS have a true sense of what is at stake?

At what point in the disaster does it become a national problem?
At what point does it become an international problem?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonandStar
Like we discussed here yesterday, it all comes down to some kind of weponizing of the spent fuel by Tepco and other government departments. Thats probably why all the secrecy and all....

Odd isn't it that they just mentioned "Operation Yashima" in regards to this power problem, taken from a popular animated series dealing with saving power for a weapon...

Operation Yashima
smt.blogs.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
More on plume fallout in UK/Europe: Daily Mail

Radiation from the Fukushima leak has been detected across Britain, it was confirmed today as Japan was put on 'maximum' alert.

The Health Protection Agency revealed that radioactive iodine had already been discovered 5,500 miles from the stricken plant in Oxfordshire and Glasgow.

Air samples are being tested elsewhere in Britain over fears that much of the country could be hit by the radioactive plume.

Dr Michael Clark of the HPA said: 'Very low levels of radioactivity, traceable to Fukushima, have been detected at monitoring stations in the UK including Chilton, in Oxfordshire, and Glasgow, in Scotland.

'These traces have been found in Europe - Switzerland, Germany and Iceland - and in the USA.

'They're trace levels but of course with radioactivity we can measure very low amounts.'

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

What if they drill under the plants diagonally and place directional charges in order to catapult the rods into the ocean? (Detonate Vacuum bombs)

Two things here -- I don't wish to see bombs save the day because then there would actually be a reason to have them around for anything other than death and destruction. Currently we have no excuse, really. As for the vacuum bombs, how many vacuum cleaners do you suppose we need to load that bomb up with? Does it make a difference if they are hoovers or dysons? Do they tap into the vacuum and pull out zero point energy to explode or something? WTF is a vacuum bomb?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
And BBC

In a statement, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) also confirmed that radioactive iodine had been detected in air samples in Oxfordshire.

It said: "As anticipated, the UK is now beginning to see the minutest traces of iodine 131 associated with events at the Fukushima nuclear facility."

The agency said measurements taken at a monitoring station in Oxfordshire on Monday had recorded trace levels of iodine 131 at 300 micro-becquerels per cubic metre

How minute is 300 micro-becquerels? Was iodine 131 the one with the short-half life?

edit on 29/3/2011 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Hey I have my armchair here, I am trying to solve the worlds problems one asinine idea at a time. I have a new one too...

Rockets with Liquid Helium 3 payloads.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
More on plume fallout in UK/Europe: Daily Mail

Radiation from the Fukushima leak has been detected across Britain, it was confirmed today as Japan was put on 'maximum' alert.

The Health Protection Agency revealed that radioactive iodine had already been discovered 5,500 miles from the stricken plant in Oxfordshire and Glasgow.

Air samples are being tested elsewhere in Britain over fears that much of the country could be hit by the radioactive plume.

Dr Michael Clark of the HPA said: 'Very low levels of radioactivity, traceable to Fukushima, have been detected at monitoring stations in the UK including Chilton, in Oxfordshire, and Glasgow, in Scotland.

'These traces have been found in Europe - Switzerland, Germany and Iceland - and in the USA.

'They're trace levels but of course with radioactivity we can measure very low amounts.'

Of course they can detect the radioactivity in very low amounts, but they can't tell what ALL of the substances are in those really low amounts, in order to know that, you need a really big sample that takes time to get. Only things that are easy to distinguish are detected and therefore ever reported. Anything that doesn't won't be getting reported as "mysterious unknown particles emitting radiation", plus how easy is that to distinguish if it is masked out by other particles like plutonium. Nor does it state anything about those calibration issues with the EPA's rad net. Seriously, we've only scratched the surface on this one but they know their blithering incompetence will be masked by the more serious consequences that people will have to live with which your government will gladly cover up so you keep consuming and working slave labour for plastic trash and nutrient deprived food (unless if uranium and plutonium becomes a nutrient -- with the way this society is going that day could very well happen).

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Going thru all the different posts on ATS, it just stood out as a coincidence that this disaster happened during the seeding period of the TIMEWAVE theory ... as in the beginning

i51.tinypic.com...

Is there more to come in the days ahead????
edit on 29-3-2011 by Himal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

And what is that going to do? Please elaborate.
edit on 29-3-2011 by TheLastStand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Himal

Are you implying that people are vegetables? hmmm... well maybe tepco and IAEA and our politicians would qualify (if these people didn't flap their gums at the public all the time, then some of them would otherwise be). This timewave thing sounds like a modern rebranding of astrology.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
IMO...it's going to take thinking outside the box, to come up with a viable solution...and, time is running out.

As long and the rudderless SS Tepco is leading the way...we are doomed. Japans' Government and Tepco are so enmeshed, it's like trying to separate siamese twins sharing a single head.

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 411  412  413    415  416  417 >>

join