It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 413.htm
<< 410  411  412    414  415  416 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by lasertaglover

I appreciate all of that, but I just don't get how blocking a tunnel that is overflowing with radioactive water with sandbags is the right thing here.

They have no where else to put the water. Its a SHOW because the water is already leaking into the ocean as measurements have shown. If indeed they are placing sandbags. its just for show because it is already too late to stop the flow

Pardon me, but flushed out into the ocean for now, is far better than released into the atmosphere.

It could save lives in Japan... In my opinion, if they have no other option, then do what you have to do to both flush out the radioactive materials, and to cool the reactors... IMO

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at the Japan plant, says the radioactive core in the Unit 2 reactor appears to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel and on a concrete floor. "The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell," Lahey told the paper. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Seems to me Japan is fast approaching the doomsday worst case scenario.

If core no.2 isn't cooled, it will heat up and go through the concrete easily, and hit water, then steam explosion, nuclear material all over by the ton...

Then the whole place will be too radioactive for anything, humans, robots or planes to go close enough to fix anything.

That means, reactor 1-3 will go into total meltdown too, the pools too. That'll be thousands of tons of radioactive material into the air, a million + times worse than Chernobyl.

THEY ABSOLUTELY, LIKE THE FUTURE OF JAPAN DEPENDS ON IT, BECAUSE IT DOES, NEED TO AVOID THAT STEAM EXPLOSION FROM REACTOR 2!!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY.

Or Japan is OVER.

And probably California and British Colombia too.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Redneck and others suggested that Tokyo should evacuate, this problem got me thinking.
Will there be martial law and will they close the city down, turning it into a huge prison?
I don't want to go off topic in this thread, so I created this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
anyone remember seeing this tactic done before?

looks like the EPA may be trying to raise the safe limits according to this article

The agency now notorious for its infamous claim that the air was safe to breathe after 9/11 is now seeking to raise the PAGs (Protective Action Guides) to levels vastly higher than those at which they are currently set allowing for more radioactive contamination of the environment and the general public in the event of a radioactive disaster.

According to PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, the new standards would drastically raise the levels of radiation allowed in food, water, air, and the general environment. PEER, a national organization of local, state, and federal employees who had access to internal EPA emails, claims that the new standards will result in a “nearly 1000-fold increase for exposure to strontium-90, a 3000 to 100,000-fold hike for exposure to iodine-131; and an almost 25,000 rise for exposure to radioactive nickel-63” in drinking water. This information, as well as the emails themselves were published by Collapsenet on March 24.

Source

link   
reply to post by zorgon

Morning Zorgon,

As there are now reports of Iodine in Europe aswel as the US. If you boil the water will that get rid of the bad stuff?

I know that stuff like Flouride if boiled just makes it worse

link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you, I agree. Everything is a show now, and it is that point exactly that struck me when I first heard about the stupid sandbags in the first place.

And yeah, the quiet before the storm is always the thing to be weary of! It does really seem like new information is slowing down, and when you add that with all of the other BS, like sandbags, and especially the reports of the core melting, it equals a strong feeling of doom.

And for the record, I am normally a fairly anti-doom person, and always keep any doom crud away from all of my family, friends, and especially my kids as well, but these last few weeks of lies and disasters is definitely starting to shake these middle-aged army bones of mine. I haven't felt right since about a week before the eq. And now, with those pics you posted, and all of the most recent 'known' news, I think the clock is speeding up against them/us.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Pardon me, but flushed out into the ocean for now, is far better than released into the atmosphere.
It could save lives in Japan... In my opinion, if they have no other option, then do what you have to do to both flush out the radioactive materials, and to cool the reactors... IMO

I agree they have no options... I agree its better in the ocean than the air... i just don't see any evidence that anyone is still doing anything at this point

If the head of TEPCO has jumped ship... who is minding the store?

Okay they just repeated on NHK that work has been suspended st #2
edit on 29-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Was wondering if any worth in moving the spent fuel rods if possible away from the reactors?? I know it would be extremely difficult but if there is a meltdown and explosion it might reduce the damage and toxic effects.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The sand bags are a misdirection (to make you believe they're doing something useful) just as the water drops were.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Vacuum Bomb the plants... Infact I would bunker bust them then Vacuum bomb them, then again and if need be...again.

edit on 29-3-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

I agree they have no options... I agree its better in the ocean than the air... i just don't see any evidence that anyone is still doing anything at this point

If the head of TEPCO has jumped ship... who is minding the store?

I hope you're wrong, if they are forced to abandon the site, then it is game over!

Runaway nuclear reactions in at least three reactor cores, and spent fuel pools containing 100's of tons of extremely radioactive spent fuel rods running out of water and exposed to the air... all unattended.

That would absolutely be a worst case nightmare.

Lets hope they can keep working for as long as it takes to explore options and bring this to an END.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Funny how the nuclear expert on the Guardian says one true thing and then say another false thing.

He says that the core has melted through the containment chamber, while at the same time saying that there's no risk of explosion like at Chernobyl when it hit water.

Really? Guess what pal, you're lying.

The core won't cool down by itself, the nuclear reaction will continue, the water will evaporate, and unless it is constantly filled with new water, the core will become naked again and heat up again and go through the cement like butter and then reach the water underground and then it'll go boom.

That is exactly what I was wondering. Thank you so much for raising that issue from this article. How can six reactors (or the spent fuel pools therein) that could all fail or burn if situations become too dangers for anyone to survive there and maintain the "firehose" - how can this not be worse than Chernobyl? The odds of one of those plants blowing seem to be rising.

He literally says it in the same sentence -

Richard Lahey, who has worked on the plant at Fukushima, told the Guardian officials seemed to have "lost the race" to save the reactor, but added that there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

Source

Again, thanks for raising this issue. I fear it is giving people in harm's way a false sense of security.

edit on 29-3-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Boiled no... distilled yes.... and I have been drinking fluoridated water all my life and I see no ill effects

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

Thanks for that!

I do wonder if a large enough device, nuclear or non-nuclear, would be better than a total meltdown of all of the reactors. I'm sure that has been asked somewhere in this Godzilla-sized thread already, and apologies if it has, but with the core melting through now, and the possibility of having to completely evacuate the area, do they look at the 'bomb' option honestly? Do we the US look at it, or does China or Russia? Should we?

Never mind, I don't think I want to know that answer anyway.

MOAB

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

All that would do now is blast hundreds of tons of radioactive materials out in all directions..

That would likely make a bad situation much, MUCH worse.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Was wondering if any worth in moving the spent fuel rods if possible away from the reactors?? I know it would be extremely difficult but if there is a meltdown and explosion it might reduce the damage and toxic effects.

Fuel rods:

Overall assembly length, m 4.470
Fuel rod length, m 4.064
Assembly total weight, kg 319.9

www.nucleartourist.com...

very heavy and you need a crane to lift them... but at this point no one can even get close to them

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
do they look at the 'bomb' option honestly?

Explosion and Nuclear reactor should never appear in the same sentence.... bad very bad

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

It's hard to say really and what happens if they melt-down to the water table... What happens if the reactions can not be stopped and it continues to contaminate everything around including the ocean...

Would a vacuum bombs stop the reaction?
Would they incinerate the dust particulate?

To me it's hard to say but from where I sit the longer the reaction we start to get into death by a thousand paper cuts territory. I am running with the assumption here that worst case scenario is already playing out as we speak.

-Regards

edit on 29-3-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Yeah, thinking about it more, that would not be the best of ideas I think.

What a FUBAR situation!

top topics

<< 410  411  412    414  415  416 >>

join