It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 412.htm
<< 409  410  411    413  414  415 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

I have stated several times now that I get what you are saying.

But why can't they sand bag it and then place a lead shield over that? Or something else?!?!

My obvious concern is additional radiation (on top of the unkown amounts already) leaking into the atmosphere. I understand that they are trying to prevent it from getting into the ocean, but they should have thought about that before the built their reactor in a historically proven, tsunami-prone location.

I get that you are the 'sandbag defender and spokesperson of the universe' already, but I find you come off rather arrogant. And after looking through your other posts in this thread (I love that feature under the member tab), I think it is a real shame, becuase you seem to have some kind of decent knowledge about this subject.

All of us on ATS have a reason for coming here, and a lot of people join up in times of disaster. I joined during the Iceland volcano eruption last year myself, seeking more information than what the meida was reporting.

I am glad to see that you just joined up and are focused so much, and only on this thread.

However, this is just another stupid example of the Reactor people going "Hmm, let's try this!!!! Oopps..stupid idea! What now? I know, let's try something new and stupid!?"

Quite frankly, in light of everything else more important going on right now that other people are posting about here (and again, kudos to almost everyone here), can you just stop with the sand bag ultimate knowledge thingy?

I saw it on the NHK report, I reported it here and stated how I felt about it. Same thing I have done for the last year.

I thought the sandbags were stupid when I saw them, and even after all of your responses to me, I still think it is stupid to try and block radioactive flooding with sandbags alone. THEY CAN DO MORE!

But really, I don't think that all of the awesome members on here care to read more than a couple of lines of you defending the Company decision to use sandbags to stop a radioactive flood. U2U me if you like, but on to bigger topics!

ATS is the best place for information on the web, but it is the awfully nice family of members that make this place so unique for me.

I saw that you joined yesterday...welcome to ATS!

Cheers, and have a great day!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Going to repeat the explosion sequence...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Iodine 131 has reached us here in the uk now , that pretty much means is covered the entire globe .... Best stock up on bottled water before the panic.

www.tntmagazine.com...

Sky news
edit on 29-3-2011 by ljonesyuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That is the most amazing and horrible scene! Wow, look at that death cloud.

Thoughts and prayers with those in Japan!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here is the NHK Twitter account.... I don't do twitter, but thought I would post it for those that do. Maybe we can get them to ask some real questions

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I live on top of a mountain in the N. Ga. Appalachian chain. My water well here is 250 ft. deep, through solid rock. The mountains up here are riddle with fractured crystalline rock aquifers, Mother Nature's amazing filtration system.

Also, have a fully stocked pond in front yard, that is fed by 5 underground natural springs, have an overflow pipe from pond running underground to feed overflow back into creek.

So, IF things get really bad, will be glad to share water with whomever needs it. The hunting is great up here too...and yes, I've actually in the past, cured a deer hide the old fashioned way with salt. Old hippy here

Once again, Thanks and Kudos to all, contributing to the accumulated store of knowledge here.

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
That is the most amazing and horrible scene! Wow, look at that death cloud.
Thoughts and prayers with those in Japan!

Yup and they are still telling us they are working to restore the plants... and plug the leak

Personally I don't see ANY signs of ANYONE still working on the site. We have seen no pictures of activities on site since the three workers got exposure. Seems the head of TEPCO flew the coup...

The sandbags to stop the water escaping? I believe that is both useless and a red herring... WHO is putting these sand bags? We already saw the volume of water pouring out of the sea vents... There are four reactors with water leakage and they each have three trenches. That is a LOT of sandbags to place... while being exposed to high levels of radiation.

They already said that #2 is so high they have no one near it and have no idea where the leaks are. Why? because no one can get close enough to LOOK.

They say they are still pouring water on the reactors... yet NO recent images show any water spraying... Edamo last night said the volume of water required them to cut back, but that means temps will rise...

I may be wrong but I think they have abandoned that site... I would like to see some recent footage to show work in progress. We have had a defense force helicopter take videos just yesterday... I saw NO WORK or spraying in that flyover

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hey man. Can I come join you. I am in Vancouver.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Kewl
We will be expecting bottled water with the Destinyone label to reach ATSers if the SHTF

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
www.osti.gov... go to this site and do a search on Fukushima neuclear plant and the plethora of info is staggering. Specially, "Spent Reactor Fuel", "Soil Structure Interactions", and "IAEA Safeguards", just to mention a few. It also has many other subject clusters. Enjoy.

link   
Heres an idea.. how about instead of putting more water in the system just re-pump what liquid is in the trenches back onto the parts that need to be cooled while you prepare a larger trench to store the crap in a lagoon lined with concrete/lead ?

I'm a farmer and we move and store lot of crap.

edit on 29-3-2011 by rbrtj because: I miss spelled and didn't look smart enough to post. lol

link   
Funny how the nuclear expert on the Guardian says one true thing and then say another false thing.

He says that the core has melted through the containment chamber, while at the same time saying that there's no risk of explosion like at Chernobyl when it hit water.

Really? Guess what pal, you're lying.

The core won't cool down by itself, the nuclear reaction will continue, the water will evaporate, and unless it is constantly filled with new water, the core will become naked again and heat up again and go through the cement like butter and then reach the water underground and then it'll go boom.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Sounds awesome! If things go downhill, my four kids and I are headed to Georgia!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Young hippie here, and I'd like to claim 3.5 spots! LOL. I'm in Charleston, SC, and on my way to buy 6-10 boxes of organic powdered milk. This is, I think, the first truly alarmist thing I've posted as of yet. I'm not allowing my daughter or unborn child to drink milk this year, at least for 3-6 months. The math I did last night after those Berkeley numbers is truly frightening. I invite everyone to do their own math and assess whether your investment in powdered milk is feasible for your family. First-exposure rainwater is just the tip. Build-up and re-depositing by future rains is going to create an unsafe dairy situation, IMHO. You can only stock up on milk produced BEFORE the I-131 deposits. We're closing that window right now.

I invite everyone to read this analysis of the I-131 situation in regards to the data we have from 1962 in Utah (read the intro, but concentrate on the July 1962 stuff). It's not just an 8-day threat.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
www-nds.iaea.org...

There is a chart on that page, which shows you all the scope of the problem. First we'll start with isotopes, instead of being a straight line this graph shows the shotgun blast extending the periodic table to include isotopes of elements. You can observe the decay by-products as well as other properties of these isotopes. What this chart lacks, is the extended chemistry of these isotopes. How many of these different isotopes are difficult to detect, or impossible to differentiate using the sensors that they are using??
This is what I am getting at -- many on the list have been detected because of specialized instrumentation that is not really used anywhere else.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
[Jijij Press] 27 Residents Near Fukushima Nuke Plant Refuse to Evacuate

Fukushima, March 29 (Jiji Press)--Despite the government's evacuation advisory, a total of 27 people in 19 households remain in a northeastern Japan city near the damaged Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, it was learned Tuesday.
Municipal officials have tried many times to persuade the residents in Minami Soma, Fukushima Prefecture, to follow the advisory, issued for people living in areas up to 20 kilometers from the nuclear plant of Tokyo Electric Power Co. , which has been discharging radioactive substances since it was hit by the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
But the 27 people eventually decided to stay, the officials said, quoting many of them as saying they should take care of domestic animals or they do not want to leave their hometown.
The officials also said some evacuees have temporarily returned to their houses as they are tired of prolonged stay in shelters.
Meanwhile, the city found there remain some 150 residents, mostly the bedridden elderly, who cannot take refuge on their own in "voluntary evacuation" areas 20 to 30 kilometers from the plant.
(2011/03/29-21:55)

Regarding "they should take care of domestic animals", I think the authorities will likely wind-up shooting all the wildlife (including domestic animals) in the area to prevent the spread of contanimation. So, either way "fluffy" ain't going to make it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I noticed that too, hence why I cut that crap out of my post.

What a load of bs...and yes, its going to melt through like butter.

reply to post by zorgon

Red herring, agreed, its rather quiet the last 12 hours.
I hope I am proved wrong on this one...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Look at nuke-crater valley in Nevada for example; What do you do with a whole nuked out valley? You use it to bury nuclear waste in.

Yes which is why it is TOTALLY STUPID for then to stop putting it into Yucca Mountain. The ground beneath is so saturated in plutonium already what difference will a few more tons of material be?

The problem really is the transportation... people are afraid of it passing near there town on the way to Yucca. So they would rather keep it in their backyards..

Hu-mons are basically stupid... nothing we can do about that

The 'hot' material is stored in a small steel container, shielded in lead and put into a concrete cylinder. If there was an accident n the road the cylinder may kill you by the shear weight before any radiation could touch you
edit on 29-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Young hippie here, and I'd like to claim 3.5 spots! LOL. I'm in Charleston, SC, and on my way to buy 6-10 boxes of organic powdered milk. This is, I think, the first truly alarmist thing I've posted as of yet. I'm not allowing my daughter or unborn child to drink milk this year, at least for 3-6 months. The math I did last night after those Berkeley numbers is truly frightening. I invite everyone to do their own math and assess whether your investment in powdered milk is feasible for your family. First-exposure rainwater is just the tip. Build-up and re-depositing by future rains is going to create an unsafe dairy situation, IMHO. You can only stock up on milk produced BEFORE the I-131 deposits. We're closing that window right now.

I invite everyone to read this analysis of the I-131 situation in regards to the data we have from 1962 in Utah (read the intro, but concentrate on the July 1962 stuff). It's not just an 8-day threat.

Good for you Girl Friend...I've been using spray dried whole milk for 4 months now, just had a +feeling+ and stopped buying milk back then...it makes awesome yogurt too.

Sad to say, I do think this will be the way of things for awhile. It's going to take someone from the International community to step in and take over the SS Fukushime, as the captain has jumped ship.

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

I appreciate all of that, but I just don't get how blocking a tunnel that is overflowing with radioactive water with sandbags is the right thing here.

They have no where else to put the water. Its a SHOW because the water is already leaking into the ocean as measurements have shown. If indeed they are placing sandbags. its just for show because it is already too late to stop the flow

top topics

<< 409  410  411    413  414  415 >>

join