It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 409.htm
<< 406  407  408    410  411  412 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you here for the constant updates and discussion. I've been checking in throughout the day, every day for all the latest. Good article here with some thought provoking commentary at the end from posters responding to the article.

Is Fukashima about to Blow ? Doomsday Scenario is Unfolding...

I'm in the UK. I understand that plutonium aside, the stuff spewing out has a short life span so even if we get to the doomsday scenerio where the whole plant goes to [snip] and this stuff spreads around the globe in larger quantities, is there really anything to worry about if we live in Europe do you think ? And what about if the Plutonium keeps leaking ? I understand it's a heavier element so cannot travel the way the lighter particles can ...but is there any risk to people in Europe if for example reactor 3 leaks its' contents along with reactor 3's spent fuel pond ? I'm starting to wonder now as it looks highly likely that this is not going to get any better, just a whole lot worse.
edit on 29/3/11 by argentus because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Honestly, I never anticipated this type of disaster. I don't know if I can really protect myself from it. I just took a shower and I was thinking, no matter how much bottle water and food I hoard (and it will never be enough) I can't protect myself from radiation in the shower water or the air.

Trying desperately to survive is just prolonging fate now. I think I just want to enjoy myself and try to live more before things get inevitably worse.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

I've done the exact same thing. Why live in constant fear and turmoil? I have supplies for me and my family to last up to about a week for a natural disaster or the like. But I would not like to try and scrap to survive in a Fallout or The Road type of world.

edit on 29-3-2011 by EVILteddie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
For now Europe and America are safe so stay calm

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

I'm having trouble locating the brake pedal for these reactors.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Wow, turns out that the plutonium, like other radioactive isotopes, is actually good for you!

opinion.financialpost.com...

The researchers’ findings, which appeared in an article entitled Carcinogenesis from inhaled 239PuO2 in beagles: Evidence for radiation homeostasis at low doses?, add weight to the growing evidence that low levels of radiation, contrary to conventional wisdom, have health benefits. That portends good news for all mankind, and for mankind’s best friend.

....and your little dog too!

ETA: ....and the comments below the 'article' are priceless.
edit on 29-3-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Results from the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority's monitoring of Iodine-131 in Swedish air:
Stockholm: 27-28 of March 2011: 0.82 millibecquerel/cubicmetre (mBq/m3) in air. It has increased since the first measurements. The readings has been: 0.27, 0.06, 0.22, 0.03, 0.06, and today 0.82

source:
www.stralsakerhetsmyndigheten.se...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
reply to post by 00nunya00

I don't know if I believe everything at the P-S website, but this is straight from Berkeley NUC.

It says rainwater is over the legal limit for I-131 in Berkeley, California.

Next Question: how is the Hetch-Hetchy Water in the water faucet?

Chakotay,

Someone answered that with this:

BTW the link that you posted:
www.atsdr.cdc.gov...

This is not a CDC standard, but an EPA Occupational standard. The drinking water standard is much more strict; 3 pCi/L.

www.epa.gov...

Presumably the occupational standards are more relaxed due to the assumption that all exposure on-the-job will be to adults. Where general drinking water standards need to apply to children, the most vulnerable to ingesting radionuclides
www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

So...looks like Berkeley's water is 3p Ci/L and its reading over the limit...

Uummm....I will be looking to verify this.
edit on 29-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
reply to post by 00nunya00

Here's the law: I-131 in Water

and here's the Berkeley Raw Data for Rainwater.

So the spin doctors are playing word games with us now: "Over the legal limit? Sure, but it's still safe..."
edit on 29-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED
I starred this post.

Thank you Chacotay.

"Oh, don't worry, the levels are 75X lower than what we need to worry about". This is what we were told here in Pennsylvania yesterday when they detected radioactive iodine, you know, the stuff that can't even make it over here?
Source:WITF

Don't worry Federal, State and Local governments...... I stopped believing you guys years ago!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EVILteddie

The movie "The Road" is exactly what comes to mind. The main character and his wife stayed in their home for about 10 years before they ventured outside. I did the math. The apocalypse in that movie had started before the child was even born, remember?

I couldn't live like that. Even worse, when the main character finally ventured out with his son he was starting to come down with some sort of sickness, coughing up blood and stuff. They never say what caused the annihilation in that movie, but I'm guessing it was nuclear in nature.

I had a dream last night that I was watching a press conference an one of the reporters asking questions was a young Asian woman with radiation burns and red sickly eyes. She could barely speak.

I fear this is what's coming.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Continued kudos to all of you for your dedication to this.

The reporter on NHK was just talking about the need for sand bags at the end of the flooded tunnels, especially in Reactor 1 as it is within 10 cm of flowing out of the tunnels.

So hey experts, help me out here! Sandbags vs. radioactive water???

Isn't that, well...like, bad?

???

www3.nhk.or.jp...
edit on 29-3-2011 by lasertaglover because: forgot linky

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
Continued kudos to all of you for your dedication to this.

The reporter on NHK was just talking about the need for sand bags at the end of the flooded tunnels, especially in Reactor 1 as it is within 10 cm of flowing out of the tunnels.

So hey experts, help me out here! Sandbags vs. radioactive water???

Isn't that, well...like, bad?
www3.nhk.or.jp...
edit on 29-3-2011 by lasertaglover because: forgot linky

Despite the 'high-techy' sciency feel most of the problems and solutions are as old as civil-engineering it's self. If you have a flood, you build a dam. Want to move water from x to y, you use a pump, want to keep something in or keep something out, build a wall.

A sandbag works just as well against radioactive water as it does real water.
--
Idea! Here's a solution to this whole problem that no one has mentioned. Blow the reactors up! If the problem is that there is a fire (nuclear reaction) and you can't get close enough to it to put it out, BLOW it up! Sounds crazy I know, and it would make a mess, but the mess would stop getting worse every day if we seperate the fuel rods.

(See, the action 'Blow it up' works for any engineering problem.)
edit on 29-3-2011 by SDoradus because: Idea!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

Ok.

But what in the heck do you do with a radioactive sandbag?

It just baffles me for some reason.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This one has me conflicted......does radioactive seaweed cancel itself out? i.e. radiation = bad for thyroid but seaweed = source of iodine to protect the thyroid.

Uh.......yay?

VANCOUVER — A slight increase in radioactivity in seaweed and rainwater has been detected along the West Coast but the expected hike poses no risk to human health, researchers announced Monday.

www.ctv.ca...

Oh, and again, it's not dangerous so nothing to worry about, move along now, keep your head down and spend, spend, spend. We've got an economy to resuscitate you know.

edit on 29-3-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

Ok.

But what in the heck do you do with a radioactive sandbag?

You keep using it to stop radioactive flooding until you don't have a problem. The dirt you will use to create the sandbag (or beach sand) is already radioactive anyway, you aren't taking pure garden dirt. Look at nuke-crater valley in Nevada for example; What do you do with a whole nuked out valley? You use it to bury nuclear waste in.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

poses no risk to human health

seems like that is becoming the new catch phrase here like it is in Japan

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I appreciate all of that, but I just don't get how blocking a tunnel that is overflowing with radioactive water with sandbags is the right thing here.

So the workers will bring these sandbags to the edge of the tunnel and drop the bags (or machine). Water keeps rising since the only solution is more water on the reactors, so more sandbags are needed. Now we are stacking sandbags on top of radioactive sandbags, which they now quickly become radioactive.

I get that sandbags are the best for flooding. I remember filling a heck of a lot of them when I was stationed down South years ago when I was in the Army. However, maybe it is just me, but I think radioactive flooding needs a better fix than sandbags. I mean, aren't they still trying to pump more water in, and are having all kinds of problems with where to put all of this radioactive water in the first place?

What about radiation leaking into the air from all of this water in the tunnels, besides all of the tons of other problems at these reactors? I am really not trying to add anything bad here, I just see it as just one of many very stupid things they are doing over there.

It was startling to hear the reporter going off about the flooded radioactive tunnels in the first place, and then to hear that the water was within 10 cm of cresting, and then to hear that they are going to use sandbags....just added up to a pile of crud to me.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
not going to quote, its back a few pages.

they said PUDDLES were found in the trench at #1 as well (when talking about #2) .. then go on to describe the trench as ~4' deep and such and such wide and long. and how its 10cm from overflowing.

how is that a puddle?

translation issue?

also a comment on the allowable levels here in the US. the levels were set very very conservatively because of the uninformed publics possible reaction. Like most here who are worried about ANY extra radiation (or any radiation at all actually). If they made the legal levels closer to what will actually harm you then there would be disbelief, so they make them much much lower to placate people.

harm is relative, of course additional radiation will harm us, its the degree I am talking about.

The radiation is here, no denying it ..and there is no denying that it may get to the point where it does increase cancer risk, but there is nothing we can do about it. nothing at all (as some are realizing). We are getting increasing risks all the time, from non radioactive sources. Its just part of the world now, increasing population, pollution, waste, dust, etc..

can't stress out about it. something about tilting at windmills.
edit on 29-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: eta clarification of harm

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenzen
reply to post by Destinyone

Although Japan's constitution forbids the use of aggression (war), even last year there was talk of encouraging arms manufacturers to become exporters of Japanese military 'equipment', for the economy, of course.
I would really like to believe that nuclear weapons production is not involved.

I sincerely hope Japan doesn't go that route. Making weapons for economic purposes, is a trap. Their economy will become increasingly dependent on it. When can you ever stop?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

I feel so much safer now.

new topics

<< 406  407  408    410  411  412 >>

join