It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 408.htm
<< 405  406  407    409  410  411 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Oh my.

And the limit on the yearly exposure that's "normal" or "safe" or whatever is 4 millirems/year. Infants will get almost twice that to the thyroid after 1 liter of rainwater if their parents are using this as their primary water source for baby formula. Lots of people do this more and more, because it's eco-friendly and free.

Or, they're watering their gardens with it and feeding that to their kids.....cows are eating it and producing milk for those kids......jesus.

And apparently "old" I-131 in rain can absolutely be an issue even months into the future.

This is getting really sad, really quick.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I hate to say it but the way things are going, all hell is going to break loose soon.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

TOKYO — In normal times, Masataka Shimizu lives in The Tower, a luxury high-rise in the same upscale Tokyo district as the U.S. Embassy. But he hasn’t been there for more than two weeks, according to a doorman.

The Japanese public hasn’t seen much of him recently either. Shimizu, the president of Tokyo Electric Power Co., or Tepco, the company that owns a haywire nuclear power plant 150 miles from the capital, is the most invisible — and most reviled — chief executive in Japan.

www.washingtonpost.com... toafriend

Don't know if it's been posted yet...but this is very disturbing...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm in Washington State inland 60 miles and we are suppose to get 6 to 8 inches of in the coming days.
it has rained off and on and the wind is coming from the southwest.
This sight has proven to be invaluable to me the past week since joining.
thank you all.
By the way... I'm Rbrtj not my real name.

Thank you for your help.
Our cities water resivoirs were covered after 911 and moist of our water here comes from the ground.
on a second note.
Last summer I came upon a couple pallet loads of radiation detection kits with our civil defense markings on them in a garage next to our mental health facility.
No one i have talked to is aware of them being there. Perfect place to hide them.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I hate feeling helpless...
I cannot afford to donate much (in terms of money)-
but I did use all of my iTunes gift cards- presents from my students over the past few years,
and purchased multiple copies of the "SONGS 4 JAPAN" album- almost $200.00 worth.

The proceeds go to the Japanese Red Cross- hope it ACTUALLY does go to providing food/fresh CLEAN HEALTHY water/shelter to those in need.

And when I shared this with some of those students (who had given me the giftcards) last week, they started crying and hugged me,
and just kept asking why something so bad would happen to so many good innocent people.
(I teach 3 year olds through adults/the particular ones to which I'm referring are between 6-12 year olds)

I could hardly hold back the tears myself, and all I could say to them was that,
(paraphrasing):

"Sometimes bad things happen, even to really good, nice, loving people.
And though we may not know or understand why,
we can reach out to them through prayer and love and support.
Maybe that's the reason.
So we can stop fighting over silly things and come together and love each other."

It's been difficult discussing all these current events with these kids, the topics themselves are complicated enough, but are compounded exponentially by the growing number of fanatical, paranoid, control-freak 'helicopter parents', who threaten to sue if you don't tie their child's shoe 'just so'.
Yet, it's these children who are the most in need of answers and comfort, because the parents are never around/work all the time,
and the few times they are around, they put their focus and energy into attacking others who genuinely love and care about the well-being of their children and are only trying to help, instead of devoting it to the kiddos.
Just another sign of the times I suppose.

Praying for EVERYONE.
God help us all.

peace and love

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
typo we are expecting 6 to 8 inches of "rain"
OOPS.. my bad

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

WHEW!!!
Thought maybe you meant 6-8 inches of Radiation sleet

DONT EAT THE YELLOW SNOW.
(it's not a lemon sno-cone)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hi, first post here on the forum from here in Japan approx. 660km NNW of 3/11 ground zero.

Thanks to everyone posting here - this is so far the most informed and reasoned discussion I have seen related to this nuclear emergency. Strangely, I feel calmer for being able to see the information.

My comment is regarding the possible existence/production of nuclear weapons at Fukushima/in Japan. My apologies for it not being directly verifiable as is the spirit of this thread, but perhaps it will jog something in the collective memory.

It's been a while now (several years?), but I do remember there being several articles in the MSM talking about shipping of 'spent fuel' for recycling between countries, notably from the UK but I think it was France and the USA too. At the time, I thought why are they shipping 'A' from one place and then shipping different product 'B' from there back to the origin of 'A'? Don't they produce enough of this hazard themselves to deal with it themselves? (end flashback). If I remember correctly, extraction of plutonium was mentioned. There was a cute little world map with boats and everything.

A look at wikiP reveals that Tomaimura, next to Fukushima, is involved in reprocessing.

Although Japan's constitution forbids the use of aggression (war), even last year there was talk of encouraging arms manufacturers to become exporters of Japanese military 'equipment', for the economy, of course.

I would really like to believe that nuclear weapons production is not involved.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority (SRSA) has changed the guidelines for Swedish citizen in Japan. The SRSA no longer recommend people within 250 km from Fukushima 1 to take iodine tablets. Reasons for the new recommendations from SRSA is that the situation is stabilizing and that large radioactive discharge from Fukushima is not likely to happen especially Iodine since the reactors was stopped Mars 11, 2011 and the production of radioactive Iodine therefore also was halted and the half life is short so only small amount can be left. Still SRSA recommend not to make unnecessary trips to Japan and to stay away 80 km from the Fukushima 1.

source (in Swedish, use google translate):
www.stralsakerhetsmyndigheten.se...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknetium

I guess their Switzerland is in an alternative universe in which the Fukushima Dai-Ichi reactors haven't been melting down ...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I just saw this on RT and thought WTF.. rt.com...

"The Japanese government has raised the state of alert level at the Fukushima-1 nuclear plant to the maximum"

I've been on maximum alert for over 2 weeks now - what have they been doing -having a holiday??

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Twitter 1203, 29 Mar
SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: Traces of radioactive iodine from Japan's Fukushima 1 nuclear plant found in Glasgow.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
japan quake

And right now another 6.3 quake in Japan

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by 00nunya00

Oh I don't think it'll be dripping through, lol. It will be a couple thousand degrees by the time it hits what is left of those graphite plugs, they will be destroyed within minutes as best. It's like trying to use a plastic spaghetti strainer on lava, it won't do much but melt right through it.

Uranium doesnt conduct heat well, so the internal temps are way higher than external temps. Heres the graph showing temps vs distance from a small pellet.

Now a massive blob of molten stuff, is prob way hotter on the inside. Dont add water.

Ironically, the cooler it gets, the more it increases reactions, since its atoms go closer together.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
local news here in Russia say that head of Tepco Masataka Shimitsu (I may have spelled it wrong) could had commited suicide

found an article in English -

TEPCO CEO Hasn't Been Seen In Weeks, And There Are Rumors He Has Fled Or Committed Suicide

His company is in the midst of an existential crisis that may see it go bankrupt or nationalized. So where is TEPCO CEO Masataka Shimizu.

The Washington Post runs a startling report noting that he hasn't been seen in two weeks at his upscale Tokyo apartment, nor is he showing up in public, nor did he join the head of the country's nuclear safety board in front of the Diet.

There are rumors in Japan that he has fled the country or committed suicide, More likely, however, is that he's basically gone into hermitude, not unlike Toyota's CEO during the recent brake pedal controversy.

Politicians are furious, calling his absence inexcusable.

Meanwhile, TEPCO shares have crashed hard for the second straight day as the odds grow that a nationalization will wipe out all the equity.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I found a BWR simulator here www.acme-nuclear.com...

Now you too can be a wannabee Tepco engineer.

And another program/app simulator too with 'failure' sim www.microsimtech.com...
No download links there, but just google for 'pctran download' , im sure google can locate it.

edit on 29-3-2011 by mrrad because: Added pc tran

Also here is a rad accident simulator that shows how accidents spread, very cool stuff. www.microsimtech.com...

edit on 29-3-2011 by mrrad because: Added rad sim

A major update allows users to use online map service to choose anywhere in the world as the spot of RDD event. Initial explosive ground shine, external exposure, ingestion and inhalation are included in the dose projection. It is the state-of-the-art tool for state and local radiation protection agencies, Homeland Security and law enforcement personnel. For normal plant release, the site's Emergency Planning Zone map is used as background for dose projection
edit on 29-3-2011 by mrrad because: added more description

They also have a full Fukushima assesment page using their sims with pics and all at Assessment

edit on 29-3-2011 by mrrad because: added assessment

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
First, let me start by saying that I have nothing but the highest respect for anyone who puts their life on the line for the benefit of others. I realise that it is sometime necessary for people to do that if larger catastrophes are to be avoided. However, regarding the Fukushima workers...

Is there one good reason why they can't be fed decent meals?

Each of the employees .... is given 30 survival food crackers and a 180 milliliter pack of vegetable juice for breakfast after getting up just before 6 a.m.

The workers are given no lunch.

Supper is also survival food item -- dried rice and only one can of chicken or fish for each person.

The workers eat their meals quietly...
...it has become a practice for them to clap their hands together at the call of an officer. It is then followed by a chant from others, ''Gambaro!'' (Let's keep it up!)

Why on earth can't they transport them to another location after they've finished work? It looks like Tepco is holding them hostage.

They sleep in conference rooms and hallways ...

The radiation level within the building is 2-3 microsievert per hour.

To shield them from radiation from the floor, they cover themselves with lead-containing sheets before they put on blankets.

Surprise, surprise... no contact with the outside world.

Mobile phones cannot be used as no signals reach there.

''The workers are doing their best while they cannot even contact their family members,''

I hope that these people are actually helping the situation and are not just been used "for show", as some have suggested.

"We can't guarantee the lives of our personnel. This is an extremely dangerous mission."

"Saying, 'I won't allow you to pull out,' is like saying, 'Get exposed to radiation and keep going until you die,'" one member of the company commented.

Where has the president of Tepco been whilst his workers have been putting their lives on the line for their country?

The head of the Japanese power company at the centre of one of the world's worst nuclear disasters has all but vanished from the public eye.

...he has yet to visit the crippled nuclear power plant north of Tokyo that was badly damaged in the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck on March 11, and where 300 workers are desperately trying to find ways to cool down the reactors.

Question for the Japanese people - Do you feel it is acceptable to treat your "heroes" in this manner?

Sources
Kyodo News
Mainichi News
Mainichi 2
Reuters
Quote edits by me

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mrrad

soooooooooo....
what you're saying is...
I can recreate the LOST island?!?!
AND
REDO the FINAL season
and give it a proper going-away party?!?
Instead of a giant middle finger to the fans?!?!
(falling just short of the Sopranos cut to -------------------- )

SIGN ME UP!

****PS- what I'm trying to say is- I HAVE NO IDEA what to do with that link lol****
derp derp derpity drrrrrrrrrr BLONDE!

edit on 29-3-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: PS

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Didn't the Japanese police find a body about 5 miles from the plant yesterday?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
local news here in Russia say that head of Tepco Masataka Shimitsu (I may have spelled it wrong) could had commited suicide

found an article in English -

TEPCO CEO Hasn't Been Seen In Weeks, And There Are Rumors He Has Fled Or Committed Suicide

His company is in the midst of an existential crisis that may see it go bankrupt or nationalized. So where is TEPCO CEO Masataka Shimizu.

The Washington Post runs a startling report noting that he hasn't been seen in two weeks at his upscale Tokyo apartment, nor is he showing up in public, nor did he join the head of the country's nuclear safety board in front of the Diet.

There are rumors in Japan that he has fled the country or committed suicide, More likely, however, is that he's basically gone into hermitude, not unlike Toyota's CEO during the recent brake pedal controversy.

Politicians are furious, calling his absence inexcusable.

Meanwhile, TEPCO shares have crashed hard for the second straight day as the odds grow that a nationalization will wipe out all the equity.

www.businessinsider.com...

TEPCO other Japanese Nuclear utilities and AREVA recently signed a 15 year contract to supply MOX.

This could have drastic effect on both AREVA the French government and Japan's economy!!!
It's almost enough to make a CEO walk into a reactor and hug it for 1 min. Then go outside and just lie down and die!!!

www.areva.com...

"Japan: MOX pluthermal program is passing a new milestone

Press release

ACTIVITIES / BACK END

January 24, 2011

The Takahama nuclear plant, operated by Japanese electric power company KANSAI Epco started commercial operation with AREVA MELOX’s MOX fuels on January 21st 2011.

Following the contract signed in 2008* a delivery of fuel assemblies took place on June 2010 and a next one is scheduled in 2011. The MOX fuel fabrication by AREVA MELOX contributes to Japan’s nuclear fuel recycling program. Contracts have been signed for more than 15 years with Japanese utilities : TEPCO, KANSAI, CHUBU, KYUSHU, SHIKOKU, EPDC, CHUGOKU and HOKKAIDO.

In December 2010, the MOX loading operations took place in unit 3 of the Takahama Nuclear Power Plant. This recycled fuel was fabricated on 2009 at AREVA’s MELOX plant in southern France using the plutonium recovered from the treatment operations of used fuels performed at AREVA’s La Hague plant. "

edit on 29-3-2011 by Procharmo because: spelling

top topics

<< 405  406  407    409  410  411 >>

join