Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

hi this is an earlier source that also states 1000x normal radiation level at Fukushima nuke plant.

how dangerous is this..?

link

thanks..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
AFP are reporting radiation levels at the plant as being 1,000 times that of normal background radiation. Seems likely the reactor core & fuel elements, or at least part of them, have become exposed.

*cross posted with the contributor above*
edit on 11/3/11 by Niall197 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Fox news just said the reactor is getting worse and the temp is continuing to rise.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

BBC reporting radiation levels increasing outside the plant. Evacuation radius now increased to 6 miles.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yeah, Los Angeles Times is picking-up on the "release" of radioactive material also ...

... the one from earlier today ...
Japan nuclear power plant, damaged in earthquake, plans to release 'slightly radioactive' vapor

... also, this one from about 40 minutes ago or so ...
Japan trying to prevent meltdown at nuclear plant in Fukushima

Ironically, the plant must use externally generated electricity to keep the coolant flowing through the pond and cooling towers. Otherwise, all the coolant will boil off, the fuel rods will melt and there is a possibility that radioactive material will escape from the reactor's containment dome.

"If they can't get adequate cooling to the core, it could be a Three Mile Island or worse," said nuclear physicist Edwin Lyman of the Union of Concerned Scientists, which is working to improve the safety of nuclear power. The loss of coolant at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station in Pennsylvania for only 30 minutes led to a 50% meltdown of the core in that 1979 accident.

The electrical grid in Fukushima province was badly damaged by the tsunami, so power is not available from that source to cool the fuel rods. All reactors have diesel emergency generators to provide backup electricity, but apparently those at Fukushima No. 1 were damaged by the tsunami and are inoperable.

The reactor also has backup batteries to take over in such an event, and authorities were able to bring those on line and restore the flow of coolant after less than an hour. But those batteries have a life no more than about eight hours, according to nuclear expert Kevin Kamps of Beyond Nuclear, an organization working to "free the world from nuclear power and nuclear weapons.".

edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Fixed time-line, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This is a very bad situation, and to make matters worse the water engulfing the countryside. It is almost like an insult to injury, considering the other monumental tasks the Japanese people are going to have to contend with after the quake and tsunami. Hopefully, they can get this situation under control?

If this continues unabated, it could very well be on scale with Chernobyl or worse. Furthermore, any kind of real evacuation seems almost futile for those living near the power plants and have found themselves water logged. It has been said in the news that this could be the costliest natural disaster in all recorded human history. Definitely keeping an eye on this, and thanks to everyone for the updates.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Another qoute from that same LA Times Article ...

The reactor uses a single cooling loop and does not have a containment dome, but rather uses a smaller containment vessel around the reactor core. "These first-generation boiling water reactors have the least margin of safety of any reactor design," said Frank N. von Hippel, a Princeton University physicist and former White House advisor.

Note: Emphasis in the quote added by the poster (i.e. me)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that some radioactive vapour has already been released to reduce the pressure.

I will try to find a link.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If this is true, sounds like Japan just dodge'd a couple of nuclear-bullets ...

NOTE: I just found out this is the wrong plant. Please see later post further down!

Plant Status of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (as of 5AM March 12th, local/Tokyo time)

Regarding reactor #1:

Unit 1 (shut down at 2:48PM on March 11th)
- Reactor is shut down and reactor water level is stable.
- Offsite power is available.
- Control rods are fully inserted (reactor is in subcritical status)
- Status of main steam isolation valve: closed
- Injection of water into the reactor had been done by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System, but at 3:48AM, injection by Make-up Water Condensate System begun.
- At 6:08PM, we announced the increase in reactor containment vessel pressure, assumed to be due to leakage of reactor coolant. However, we do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel at this moment.

Regarding reactor #2:

Unit 2 (shut down at 2:48PM on March 11th)
- Reactor is shut down and reactor water level is stable.
- Offsite power is available.
- Control rods are fully inserted (reactor is in subcritical status)
- Status of main steam isolation valve: closed
- Injection of water into the reactor had been done by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System, but at 4:50AM, injection by Make-up Water Condensate System begun.
- We do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel.

Some other weird notes about personnel injured, etc. (which I had not heard before ):

Indication from monitoring posts installed at the site boundary did not show any difference from ordinary level.
No radiation impact to the external environment has been confirmed.
We will continue to monitor in detail the possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack or discharge canal.
There is no missing person within the power station.
We are presently checking on the site situation of each plant while keeping the situation of aftershock and Tsunami in mind.
A seriously injured worker is still trapped in the crane operating console of the exhaust stack and his breathing and pulse cannot be confirmed.
A worker was lightly injured spraining his left ankle and cutting both knees when he fell while walking at the site. The worker is conscious.

Note-1: Times are local time in Japan/Tokyo area.
Note-2: Emphasis in quotes added by poster (i.e. me)
edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added notes, etc.
edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added note about wrong plant. See later reply further down about "Fukushima Daiichi" plant!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Been following this particular development all day at work.

There has just been an announcement on BBC News that pressure is rising beyond control in a second plant. Trying to find a link

EDIT: Thanks to this Youtube uploader who captured the news broadcaster announcing the issue:

A 2nd Japanese Nuclear Plant Unable To Cool Its Reactor
edit on 11-3-2011 by MattC because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

So apparently the previous release (about that specific nuclear plant), is somewhat contradicted by a later release about the over-all status of all of the company's facilities ...

Plant Status of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (as of 5AM March 12th, local/Tokyo time)

*Measurement of radioactive material (Iodine, etc.) by monitoring car indicates increasing value compared to normal level. One of the monitoring posts is also indicating higher than normal level. We will continue monitoring discharge of radioactive material from exhaust stack and discharge canal, etc.

*We have decided to implement measures to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment vessel for those units that cannot confirm certain level of water injection by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System, in order to fully secure safety.

Of course, that doesn't mean any sort of conspiracy - just better information becoming available after the previous press release.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to www.tepco.co.jp..." target="_blank" class="postlink">post by EnhancedInterrogator

Well, if I have followed this correctly, the Nuc. Facility was not struck with the Earthquake... So what would be the reson for this man's potential death???? Oh, and according to this feed, there are STILL no problems with the reactors.

"A seriously injured worker is still trapped in the crane operating console
of the exhaust stack and his breathing and pulse cannot be confirmed.
A worker was lightly injured spraining his left ankle and cutting both knees
when he fell while walking at the site. The worker is conscious."

www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
If this is true, sounds like Japan just dodge'd a couple of nuclear-bullets ...

Sorry folks. My (big) mistake. That's the "other" Fukushima nuclear power plant ("Daini", the 4-reactor plant) that they are saying is just fine. The Fukushima "Daiichi" (6-reactor plant) is still F-d.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

Pretty much all of Japan was affected by the quake.
It was even felt in China, the facility was most certainly affected.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I would check some other sources if I were you.
just sayin
edit on 11-3-2011 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Lets be clear if it is 1000X normal levels this is within the containment zone and most definitely not outside of the plant!!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yeah, it's confusing, but if you think it through it makes sense ..

The whole region was struck by the Earthquake, including Tokyo (which was 230+ miles South-by-South-West from the Epicenter). They evacuated buildings and stuff in Tokyo and are dealing with various fires and other damage all the way down there.

The Tsunami had the greatest impact to coastline further north - closer to the epicenter. Somewhere on-line I'm sure one (or more or all) of the news agencies has a good map.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
ca.news.yahoo.com...

US is sending water coolers, money and manpower to Japan.

Good work =)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

The Denver Post has a good map on-line ...
Interactive map: Japan earthquake

I believe the Tsunami footage shown on the news is from Sendai.
edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fixed formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Sorry, I've been misunderstood. What I'm saying is... The Earthquake didn't get this guy... He was apparently too high to be swept away (according to pictures shown on CNN of the large towers) they are still standing... So what has killed the guy in the area attached to the Nuclear Towers???

And to top that, there has been conflicting information coming from the Nuclear Facility the whole day. I'm with the guy that said, get out of fallout way. And there's even a report here a few pages back of buses at the facility. Sounds like a possible evacuation of employees to me. Praying I'm completely wrong, of course.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join