It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 39.htm
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

Thanks for the link. Hopefully just a precaution by the French government, to me that's confirmation that we shouldn't trust what the Japanese government are saying about the disaster. As I have said since the tsunami struck the Japanese authorities have a history of understating emergency situations.

link   
Another one - sadly

A pump within the cooling system of one of the reactors at the Tokai nuclear power plant has stopped working, according to the Kyodo news agency. The plant is located in the Naka district of the central prefecture of Ibaraki, and is operated by the Japan Atomic Power Company. The 1,100MW Tokai plant, about 120km (75 miles) north of Tokyo, was automatically shut down after Friday's earthquake. comment by Daily at 3/13/2011 4:20:29 PM11:20 AM

Source

Are you kidding me...

(Reuters) - The company at the center of a nuclear reactor crisis following the biggest earthquake in Japan's recorded history has had a rocky past in an industry plagued by scandal. The Japanese government said on Saturday that there had been radiation leakage at Tokyo Electric Power's (TEPCO) Fukushima Daiichi plant following an explosion there. The blast came as TEPCO was working desperately to reduce pressures in the core of a reactor at the 40-year-old plant, which lies 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo. In 2002, the president of the country's largest power utility was forced to resign along with four other senior executives, taking responsibility for suspected falsification of nuclear plant safety records. The company was suspected of 29 cases involving falsified repair records at nuclear reactors. It had to stop operations at five reactors, including the two damaged in the latest tremor, for safety inspections. A few years later it ran into trouble again over accusations of falsifying data.

Emphasis added. wow. I would say there are serious grounds for questioning the reports coming from this agency.

Source
edit on 13-3-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

link   
Above post is probably reuters saying the tokai 2 plant has a "cooling system pump that has stopped working"

wolves post above does a better job of explanation of mine- he posted direct link info
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hermes8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The cooling system pump has stopped at the Tokai No.2 nuclear power plant in Japan's Ibaraki prefecture, Kyodo news are reporting

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Japans Nuclear And Industrial Saftey Agency -

Last Five Reprorts - Most Recent Shows Radiation Increasing

Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency
Seismic Damage Information(the 19th Release)
(As of 08:30 March 13, 2011)

(2) Readings at monitoring post
The measurement of radioactive materials in the environmental monitoring
area near the site boundary by a monitoring car confirmed the increase in
the radioactivity compared to the radioactivity at 04:00, March 12 now.
MP4(Moitoring car data at the site boundary, North-west of Unit1):
40microSv/h(03:08, March13)
MP6 (at the main gate) 0.07microSv/h(04:00, March 12) ->
3.1microSv/h(04:50, March13)
3.2microSv/h(05:50, March13)
MP8 (at the observation platform) 0.07microSv/h(04:00, March12)

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...
edit on 13-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Japan Atomic Power says 2 of 3 diesel generators for the Tokai No. 2 plant are down, but the remaining generator is sufficiently cooling the reactor. -Reuters

Hopefully this last one holds out and doesn't go on vacation like the other two.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There should be automatic backups for every pump in the place... probably multiple backups.

As for the diesel generators, one is sufficient to more than run all the cooling systems. And they do still have batteries even if the last one fails.

As long as they have power, these reports are really minor issues. I'm more concerned at this point about unknown structural/containment issues from the earthquakes.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ok if you go by RSOE, there is now a total of 8 reactors in peril. 2 at the Onagawa Nuclear Plant. And 6 at the Fukushima Nucelar Power Plant. RSOE Scroll down for the listing of the 2 plants.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Latest situation update on Fukushima from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 21
On 13.03.2011 at 16:40 GMT+2

The level of coolant water in the Number Three reactor at the Fukushima Number One power plant dropped on Sunday, leaving the fuel rods exposed by two meters. The situation continued for at least until 3pm, possibly causing a partial melting of the rods. As a result, masses of hydrogen gas have accumulated in the inside top of the reactor building. The gas may cause an explosion similar to that which occurred at the Number One reactor on Saturday. Tokyo Electric Power Company, also known as TEPCO, is considering ways to remove the hydrogen from the structure. The Number One reactor and its containment structure are being pumped with seawater in an effort to secure cooling. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the amount of seawater should entirely fill the reactor structure, and that the building should be safe as long as the water flow continues. At the Number Two reactor, the amount of coolant continues to be lower than usual, and the pressure within the containment vessel is above normal. TEPCO attempted to restore the functioning of an electrical pressure-relief device by connecting a generator, but has not succeeded. The company is considering other means to relieve the reactor pressure, such as releasing air from the containment vessel. Inadequate cooling is also occurring at the Fukushima Number Two power plant, where the pumps to send seawater to cool the Number One, Two and Four reactors have failed due to the tsunami. TEPCO says it will try to restore the cooling systems by replacing the pump motors overnight.

Latest situation update on Miyagi

Situation Update No. 4
On 13.03.2011 at 16:19 GMT+2

Excessive levels of radiation at a second Japanese nuclear facility at Onagawa after Friday's earthquake have led authorities to report a state of emergency, the UN nuclear agency said. "Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first or lowest state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," the International Atomic Energy Agency said. The alert was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. "Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation."

edit on 13-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The cooling system pump has stopped at the Tokai No.2 nuclear power plant in Japan's Ibaraki prefecture, Kyodo news reported, in the wake of the massive earthquake that has crippled other reactors in the country. [ID:nL3E7EC0D6] The plant, located about 120 km (75 miles) north of Tokyo, had suffered a nuclear accident in 1999. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Chris Gallagher)

af.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

"Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation."

You have to be kidding me. The authorities are looking for the source of the radiation right outside of a reactor that is going into, or already has begun, meltdown? You never know it could be coming from somewhere else?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

they suspect that the readings were fall out of the exploded reactor......

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

They are probably looking to see if there are any containment breaches. Even if they know that the reactor is leaking, they need to know where it is leaking in order to know how to proceed.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Okay, fine, let me post this then:

Any news about the serious nuclear situation, or does anyone know where the conversation about this disaster has moved to? I can't believe no one has posted about this for an hour.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I found this on another thread.(Thanks Whisper67)It is a blog by Michio Kaku that has some good information in the post and also the comments. He will also keep it updated.
bigthink.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I think we're just in like cruise control right now, nothing new is happening really. Some new news should come within the next three - four hours i would guess. We can only speculate as fast as we get information from the japanese officials on site.
edit on 3/13/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I am still keeping an eye on this thread... just not much new to report so far. It looks like everything is in lock-down mode, i.e. the worst is over if there are no more events. I'm sure the response teams are busy trying to ascertain the danger/damage, the operators are monitoring pressures/coolant, and the police/militia/whatever they have are spreading the iodine tablets to protect against I-131 exposure.

Well, one thing happened: last night as I was going to bed, CNN finally realized there was a controlled meltdown underway.

ATS: where real news breaks first.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hi

Ive been following these threads, this one and the original one, and firstly I just wanted to thank everyone involved in updating the threads and posting links.

There is a question that I wonder if anyone could answer for me.

Do these reactors ever cool down to the stage where they don't need coolant to be pumped constantly round?

The reactors that are still 'OK', are they having coolant pumped round them still? and will this be able to stop at any stage?

Thanks in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join