It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 38.htm
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
seems like the press are being tight lipped about a few things?
just to let all the welsh people know what happened over HERE after chernobyl...
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
just read about a 60 year old man they rescued that got swept out to sea 9 miles on the roof of his house!
a 60-year-old man had a miraculous escape two days after being swept nine miles (15km) out to sea by the tsunami.

Hiromitsu Shinkawa was discovered clinging to the wreckage of his house by the Maritime Self-Defence Force in waters off Fukushima prefecture.
uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation

Below I reproduce a summary on the situation prepared by Dr Josef Oehmen, a research scientist at MIT, in Boston. He is a PhD Scientist, whose father has extensive experience in Germany’s nuclear industry. This was first posted by Jason Morgan earlier this evening, and he has kindly allowed me to reproduce it here. I think it is very important that this information be widely understood.

bravenewclimate.com...

Excellent article there for those interested.

That IS a very good article. Thank you for posting. It really is a must read for those who are not aware of what nuclear power is and how our protection of it's dangers are well though out, engineered, and built.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
BREAKING (German News): Nuclear Emergency at the Onagawa Reactor.

Just came in,no Links yet
edit on 13-3-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
BBC recieves breaking news fom IAEA claiming a second nuke plant, ONAGAWA ?,is undergoing a nuclear emergency!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
aljazeera reporting that the japanese government has said that 2 of the reactors could possibly be in meltdown.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
shortly said.... ALLcostal powerplants in the tsunami line are malfunction....

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Loud rumble just now reported in Koriyama, near Fukushima plant. Another aftershock? or explosion?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Aljazeera reports as follows:

1:22pm With three nuclear reactors at the Fukushima facility under states of emergency, the International Atomic Energy Association says that the Onagawa nuclear power plant is also reporting a state of emergency. Onagawa contains the most modern nuclear reactor in all of Japan, but it's not yet clear if that is the unit affected. Like the Fukushima facility, it is also operated by the Tokyo Electric Power Co

11:10pm An explosion in No.3 reactor would be much more dangerous than yesterday's blast due to its mix of plutonium and uranium, nuclear scientist Imad Khadduri tells Al Jazeera. More from him soon

The latter is obvious, however worth mentioning.

11:30pm More on the developing emergency at the Onogawa nuclear facility, 155km north of the crisis-hit Fukushima plant. The IAEA statement says: The alert was declared as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation.

edit on 13/3/2011 by LilFox because: Addition

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

11:30pm More on the developing emergency at the Onogawa nuclear facility, 155km north of the crisis-hit Fukushima plant. The IAEA statement says: The alert was declared as a consequence of radioactivity reads exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation.

Wow, another plant at risk of meltdown or in partial meltdown. This doesn't look good.
edit on 13-3-2011 by 2012TheEnd because: typo

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i hope iran is looking at these events very very closely!! concidering its also in a earthquake zone hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

12:14am More on the situation at the Onagawa nuclear facility. The "lowest level of a state of emergency" was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant", said the International Atomic Energy Agency. But, according to Japanese authorities, the three reactor units at the Onagawa nuclear power plant "are under control". The IAEA, the UN's nuclear watchdog, said that venting of the damaged Onagawa reactor unit had started at 9:20am in Japan "through a controlled release of vapour." The operation was intended to lower pressure inside the reactor containment. Following the failure of the high pressure injection system and other attempts of cooling the plant, the authorities had first injected water and then sea water into the unit. The authorities have informed the IAEA that accumulation of hydrogen is possible ... The IAEA is continuing to liaise with the Japanese authorities and is monitoring the situation as it evolves.

12:04am Japanese safety officials say the cooling system at the quake-damaged Onagawa nuclear plant has not been damaged, and the rise in reported radiation levels is due to a radiationleak at another plant nearby.

Well, at least the ECCS should work... I hope..
edit on 13/3/2011 by LilFox because: formatting

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
A cooling system pump has stopped at Tokai No. 2 Nuclear Power Plant in Ibaraki, Kyodo, according to area's fire department. -Reuters

Something tells me that none of these reactors are going to be in working shape after this.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
no they have said that after they have cooled them with sea water, the pipes used to carry it will be useless and more than likely they will never reopen the plants again.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
on rt news now experts recon that the 20km exclusion zone may not be large enough.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I believe this may be of interest..
Radiation emergency medical management

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
france24. they are now telling citizens to leave tokyo.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

Can you confirm this with a link please?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good morning everyone.

I have been reading Dr Josef Oehmen's report linked to earlier, and it sounds pretty accurate on most points. However, there are a few things that don't make sense, and I wanted to point them out. If anyone can correct my thinking on these, please do so:

• Within the 8 hours, another power source had to be found and connected to the power plant. The power grid was down due to the earthquake. The diesel generators were destroyed by the tsunami. So mobile diesel generators were trucked in.

This is where things started to go seriously wrong. The external power generators could not be connected to the power plant (the plugs did not fit). So after the batteries ran out, the residual heat could not be carried away any more.

I am at a loss to understand how plugs not fitting can lead to such a delay. I have yet to see two wires that cannot be connected in minutes, and in an emergency situation, did no one think to just cut the plugs loose and straight-wire the thing?

• What happened now is that some of the byproducts of the uranium decay – radioactive Cesium and Iodine – started to mix with the steam. The big problem, uranium, was still under control, because the uranium oxide rods were good until 3000 °C. It is confirmed that a very small amount of Cesium and Iodine was measured in the steam that was released into the atmosphere.

As I mentioned previously, the appearance of more than a trace amount of Cs-135 is an indication that the control rods are not working properly, since the presence of the Xe-135 should have been converted to Xe-136 instead of decaying into Cs-135.

• Some radiation was released when the pressure vessel was vented. All radioactive isotopes from the activated steam have gone (decayed). A very small amount of Cesium was released, as well as Iodine. If you were sitting on top of the plants’ chimney when they were venting, you should probably give up smoking to return to your former life expectancy. The Cesium and Iodine isotopes were carried out to the sea and will never be seen again.

Cs-135 has a half-life of 2.3 million years, according to my physics books. It is a very low-intensity radiation source, so based on the Cesium levels, his metaphor to smoking would be apt, but a half-life of 2.3 million years is far from never being seen again.

Iodine, now, specifically I-131, is a different story. It is one of the more abundant fission products and with a half-life of 8 days it produces a good bit of radiation quickly... in the form of gamma rays and beta (electron/positron) emission. But if I-131 was released, does that not also mean general fission products were not also released? Meaning a breach of the physical containment? I-131 has about a 1-2mm depth penetration into flesh (if memory serves), so I would think a steel pressure vessel and several feet of high-density concrete would stop it short.

• I also noticed on his drawing that he does not show the secondary containment wall I mentioned earlier. He shows the primary containment wall (a concrete shell around the reactor itself), but in the plant where I worked, there was another concrete wall a few feet beyond that. (Please note I am talking primary and secondary containment as outside the reactor vessel, where he includes the reactor vessel and the fuel rod housings as containments.)

• Speaking of containment... he is including the casings around the fuel rods as the 'first containment'... but this is only a physical containment. It cannot be a nuclear containment, because it is the close proximity of the fuel rods to each other which allows the nuclear chain reaction to take place. The control rods are inserted between the fuel rods to effectively separate them from each other in a shutdown. What would be the use of the control rods if the fuel rods acted as a nuclear containment themselves?

Sounds like even this guy is downplaying things...

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join