It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 378.htm
<< 375  376  377    379  380  381 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

The Japanese have one of the lowest birth rates on the planet and one ( if not the ) highest longevity, one of the only places on the Earth currently with a NEGATIVE birthrate, you are looking at the end of a culture as we know it

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I will admit. It takes a lot, and I mean really a lot, to get me angry. It goes against my personal belief systems...

But, this whole steaming pile of crappolla from Tepco, has pushed beyond my boundaries...I'M MAD AS HELL

I feel so helpless, utterly completely, helpless. I want to do something to help, I just don't know what, except to keep researching and posting in this thread, in hopes that someone else reading here, will be in a position to help.

I guess that's all I can personally hope for. It's times like this, being an empath sucks.
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: Partial meltdown of fuel rods believed to be temporary: Edano (11:52)

BREAKING NEWS: Radioactive water from No. 2 reactor due to partial meltdown: Edano (11:53)

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Am I wrong, or is this the first press conference where he's actually started saying that there ARE melting rods, for sure? As in, we totally admit to the meltdown now?

Yup first one I heard... they are repeating that now...

But he said it was temporary melting

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT
BREAKING NEWS: Partial meltdown of fuel rods believed to be temporary: Edano (11:52)

BREAKING NEWS: Radioactive water from No. 2 reactor due to partial meltdown: Edano (11:53)

english.kyodonews.jp...

Breaking to who???? We've known it here for going on two weeks...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
But he said it was temporary melting

Maybe 'temporary' as in years.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It is temporary. The corium will solidify in a few years... or decades...

It will still be radioactive, though.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah, like the sun is temporarily warm.

It was a bit of a shock to me, to hear him say "melted rods" without any qualifier like "possibly" or "but it's uncertain at this time". My husband got it too, as he's the only one who listens to me about this and even HE knows what this means without ever having read a single post in here for himself.

ETA: Redneck: I said basically the same thing "yeah, temporary until it crusts over for a little while, then heats back up and melts even further....." UGH! Getting so old to hear this BS!
edit on 27-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Not sure how much longer I can listen to these bozzo's. And these reporters are not asking the right questions, though they are asking some. Seems the fishermen are more savy

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT

english.kyodonews.jp...

Of course it is temporary.
Partial meltdown is the temporary state between normal operation and full meltdown.
Maybe they can stop it at partial meltdown, like TMI, but judging by TEPCO's PR history. They are probably at or close to full meltdown now.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

fisherman by nature have to be both practical an intiutive and never ever ignore the odd wave , cloud or wind..

governments live in the opposite place

edit on 27-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

As far as I know "partial meltdown" is a 'new' and in real terms to
tally meaningless term. you either have uncontrolled fission or you don't
if it's uncontrolled you either have uncontrolled thermal productions or you don't (have control)

period
edit on 27-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Yes, you have a point there. But the history of Japanese Culture goes back 10,000 years with inhabitants of Japan rumored to have come from China and Korea. What I think will happen is that the Japanese who survive this calamity may move to other lands and mix with people from other cultures, but the Japanese culture will remain (?)

It's a longshot, but I hope this does happen.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I agree. "Partial meltdown" means MELTDOWN.

Wow, these execs try to understate everything to the very end!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well well...seems the general public is not as stoically brain dead, as Tepco/Gov't think.

A Kyodo survey showed 58.2 percent of respondents disapproved of the government's handling of the nuclear crisis.

au.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Ummm, that's a good point.

I think I was the first one in this thread to use the term 'partial meltdown', in an attempt to clarify the stage between intact rods and corium... but in reality, it is not a technical term; I made it up on the spot. Now TEPCO is using it?

Are they reading this thread to find out what to do next?

On the outside chance they are...

EVACUATE!

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by windwaker

I agree. "Partial meltdown" means MELTDOWN.

Wow, these execs try to understate everything to the very end!

Agree. Even if some of the reactors really are in 'partial' meltdown, full meltdown cannot be prevented now.

link   
reply to post by windwaker

I have no doubt the power they represent will come up , as nothing is more dangerous than a man(culture) with nothing to lose, his path is as trackless as the wind, and push these "quiet people" and they will become something new.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
To the experts on this board especially Zorgon and Redneck. I came across some interesting information in a Washington Post article published tonight and wanted to see if this 'new' information changes your opinions of this situation.

Unlike in newer reactor designs, the older boiling water reactors at Daiichi are pierced by dozens of holes in the bottom of their reactor vessels. Each hole allows one control rod — made of a neutron-absorbing material that quickly stops nuclear fission inside the reactor — to slide into the reactor from below, as happened when the earthquake shook the plant March 11. During normal operations, a graphite stopper covers each hole, sealing in highly radioactive primary cooling water, said Arnie Gundersen, a consultant at Fairewinds Associates with 40 years of experience overseeing boiling water reactors. But at temperatures above 350 degrees Fahrenheit, the graphite stoppers begin to melt. “Since it is likely that rubble from the broken fuel rods . . . is collecting at the bottom of the reactor, the seals are being damaged by high temperature or high radiation,” Gundersen said. As the graphite seals fail, water in the reactor will leak into a network of pipes in the containment buildings surrounding each reactor — the very buildings that have been heavily damaged by explosions. Gundersen said that this piping is probably compromised, leaving highly radioactive water to seep from the reactor vessels into broken pipes — and from there into the turbine buildings and beyond.

Washington Post

This is the first time I have heard of this design problem. It seems like it would answer almost all of the questions Redneck had about how water could travel through out the entire plant.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this 'new' news.

BlackSheep
edit on 27-3-2011 by Black Sheep because: TS

edit on Mon Mar 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ever get the feeling you're creating reality in your mind?

This whole thing has been making me feel like we're in the Matrix, and I've never even seen that movie. This whole thing has got to be some bad dream.

top topics

<< 375  376  377    379  380  381 >>

join