It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 372.htm
<< 369  370  371    373  374  375 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
NHK has an article about the new video I posted earlier.

Of note:

On the video, a professor Sekimura Naoto University of Tokyo was "broken hard, especially the reactor building of Unit 3 by a hydrogen explosion, a crane to move the fuel should be in the ceiling, appeared to fall on top of the fuel pool look. itself and fuel level of the pool is visible, there is a possibility that the damaged fuel rods by the crane fell,

edit on 3/27/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

We all share the sentiment. TEPCO is a joke at this point, and their lies AND lines are worthy of nothing but ridicule. And unfortunately, that's the only source of info coming from the plant. Greeeaaaat......

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kismetphayze
Did those of you who were watching the NHK feed notice the guy in the offices behind the news anchor walking around with the mask on?

That is normal in Japan... they wear the masks when they have a cold or flue...so they do not spread germs to other people.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

make sure you send the proper plugs...
we see what happens when you don't have the right one

They came from Tokyo, silly. They seem to have had no problem getting them to Vegas

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

So far this thread has very little ego massaging and lots of facts and thoughts. Most of us don't care if someone makes a slight mistake in atomic theory if it has very little impact on the subject at hand.

Back to the good stuff.

Is it possible NHK have started talking about Pu-239 and MOX because the world infiltrated the internet with our MOX and plutonium worries for the last 2 weeks?

Face it, we have all learned so much about the atomic energy it has become harder and harder for authorities and media to cover up the complexities.

In the past nuclear physicist were thin on the ground as were text books. Today the world is a different place....!
edit on 27-3-2011 by Procharmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Great blog here with some interesting articles and regular Fukusima updates.

By way of qualifications, my training is in physics in which I have a bachelor's degree. I also worked for five years at Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station in New Jersey. Like the Fukushima plants, Oyster Creek is a GE BWR-I with a Mark I containment. It has a power rating roughly 1/3 higher than Fukushima Daiichi 1.

There's loads of stuff so I will post a few excerpts...

I believe I have a possible mechanism for how the water got to both the turbine building and also the ocean.

Now here is one of those dirty little secrets that may come into play in this circumstance. It is almost a certainty that some number of heat exchanger tubes have leaks. This is almost inevitable over time in an operating plant, nuclear or otherwise, especially one which uses saltwater as the cooling medium. It would not be noted under normal operating conditions because the radioactivity of the water would not be that great.

Fukushima Status Update 3/27 (Reactor water is in the ocean)

Likely-case scenario

Given the difficulties of the working environment and the problems with the leaking water I think it is optimistic to think they will have core cooling systems returned to service within the next week at any of the units. This will mean more feed and bleed to remove heat. Also, they will need to track down the exact pathway(s) water is taking to get to the turbine building and ocean. They may or may not be able to isolate the problem and stop the leaking. Next best would be to be able to contain the leak at its source and drain that container continuously. Obviously this doesn't work if there are heat exchanger leaks but it may be possible to isolate this system using locally controlled manual cutoff valves.

I'm really not sure what is likely to happen with the leaking fuel pools. I fear that concrete entombment is likely in the future for at least one of them, possibly both units 3 and 4.

I expect the releases will need to continue for the next week at least, likely more until they get alternate means of heat removal back online. I also fear the ocean releases will continue for that same period of time, perhaps longer depending on the condition of the heat exchangers.

Cleanup and decommissioning may not be done as thoroughly as possible due to dose rates all around the site. They may well end up covering everything with sand, gravel, or other more suitable materials to contain the surface contaminants. I expect the site to eventually be abandoned and reactors 5 and 6 to also be decommissioned.

Blog here

Any comments on these theories?

edit on 27-3-2011 by Moonbeams771 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

LOL, I know, I've been here since the beginning! It's been an excellent thread. Which is why it's sad when disagreements from other threads get brought in here when people can't let those truly insignificant disagreements go.

I'm proud that this thread has (mostly) managed to be free of those types of posters.

On topic, CNN was reporting via TV broadcast about half an hour ago that 19 workers had been exposed to dangerous levels of radiation, but I'm not finding a headline for this on even their webpage, nor Kyodo or whatnot. Anyone else hear this or can shed some light on this figure?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well, the generators they initially tried to install came from Japan as well, and they didn't fit Japanese power plants....

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This is an astute observation to take note of:

Many experts have shied away from describing worst-case outcomes, which are terrifying to contemplate and risky to mention. The risk isn’t just panicking the public. Crying wolf can threaten one’s expert status.

Bloomburg

We've even seen this to some degree with our own resident thread experts on nuclear stuff, and not because they're worried about their reputations----but because it's just a horrible, horrible thing to even think about, let alone plant as a possibility in people's minds who don't already share in the macabre knowledge of what can *truly* be the consequences of such a "worst case" outcome. We're lucky to have members who can let us know in time.

Hearty applause for our "thread experts" who are braver than most to not only explain what the most possible outcomes may be, but also why they might happen so we aren't completely dependent on the official warnings of those who may not hold our best interests above their own reputations. This whole situation is degrading quickly in the last day or two.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This might be a stupid question from wacky freethinker, but isn't there something else that could be used in stead of water to put some kind of hold to this?
If I am informed correctly by this forum it seems that it is just a matter of time before the next explosions will happen.
Can't they use Dry Ice in stead of water to keep the reactors cool?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Here are the outputs from the Geiger Counter in the office in Azabujuban, Tokyo:

Denphone Tokyo Office Geiger Counter
edit on 27-3-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

yes, like what happened last night and now they say oops we had a false reading abcnews.go.com...

Japanese Nuclear Plant Officials Apologize Over Radioactivity Scare
An Inaccurate Reading at Unit 2 Showed Levels 10 Million Times Higher Than Normal in Reactor's Cooling System

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

These plants are normally cooled by massive amounts of water fed through the undersea heat exchangers. All the dry ice on the planet probably wouldn't be enough to keep them stable for an hour. And that's not counting the fact that these masses are probably at thousands of degrees already.

Plus, keeping them cool is a useless effort at this stage anyway. The problem is that the rods melted and therefore are in direct contact with each other and there is no way to separate them now. As long as they stay in contact with each other, they will produce both heat and radiation... remove the heat until they are frozen solid and they will still be producing radiation (and more heat).

There is no way to stop them from producing radiation unless someone can figure out how to separate that puddle into thousands of little puddles without getting close to it and without melting anything used for the separation. You come up with that idea, and I'll email TEPCO and the NRC with it personally.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
You can’t compare yesterday’s technology to today’s standards. Hindsight is always 20/20.

edit on 27-3-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
...and the ripples grow wider...

www.nytimes.com...

HONG KONG — The economic disruptions from Japan’s crisis have cascaded into another, crucial link in the global supply chain: cargo shipping.

Fearing the potential impact on crews, cargo and vessels worth tens of millions of dollars, some of the world’s biggest container shipping lines have restricted or barred their ships from calling on ports in Tokyo Bay over concerns about radiation from the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant

Hapag-Lloyd, a German container shipping line that is one of the world’s largest, halted service to Tokyo and Yokohama after the tsunami swamped Fukushima Daiichi. The shipper has not resumed service to those ports.

Reuters reported that another German shipper, Claus-Peter Offen, has also stopped calling at Tokyo and Yokohama.

OOCL, a shipping line based in Hong Kong, said late Friday that the company had decided to halt all traffic to Tokyo and Yokohama.

Merchant vessels may have to be scrapped if quarantined even temporarily for radioactivity, because they would face extra coast guard checks for years at subsequent destinations, said Basil M. Karatzas, the managing director for projects and finance at Compass Maritime Services, a ship brokerage in Teaneck, N.J.

It is not only commercial ships that are giving the radiation region a wide berth.

A senior nuclear executive said on Friday evening that the United States Navy had moved nuclear-powered vessels like the Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier far from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant after officers became concerned that radiation from the plant could enter the ships’ air ducts.

The worry is not that the radiation would pose a threat to the vessels’ crews, but that even trace contamination of the ducts could create problems in the extremely sensitive equipment aboard nuclear-powered vessels that is intended to detect any hint of a radioactive leak from onboard systems, said the executive, who insisted on anonymity to protect business connections.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Your third picture:

There was a wind change direction a while back, towards Tokyo... anyone know if it coincided with the spike shown here (the 22nd)?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Another 6.5 aftershock just hit

MAP 6.5 2011/03/27 22:23:58 38.300 142.400 10.0 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 27-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by Kailassa

I understood fine. I told you it was called "transmutation" and not half-life (but you didn't quote that did you?). Transmutation is a result of the process of decay that happens and is measured in half-life. Explaining transmutation is not the same as explaining half-life. When you were asked "what is half-life" you answered with the definition of transmutation.

No misunderstanding by me, anyways.

"Transmutation is a result of the process of decay that happens and is measured in half-life."
At least you're getting some understanding at last. Congratulations.

Half-life is the time it takes for half of a substance to transmute into another substance.
Half-life cannot be explained without explaining transmutation, they are part of the same process.

If you want to play with semantics to create an argument, feel free. *shrug*

I won't quote you from another thread, that may be against the T&C, but your original misguided claim about half-life is here.

As someone you should respect said in this thread:

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The concept of losing half its radioactivity is that the quantity of radioactive particles will be about half of what it was, not that the individual particles are half as radioactive. A sample of a radioactive substance will show only half as much radioactivity, but only because there are only half as many individual radioactive particles as there was before.

In the case of Pu-239, that means that an individual particle can retain its radioactivity for literally millions of years... an active particle found today could have been created when dinosaurs roamed the planet.

The Pu-239 theRedneck mentions has a half-life of 24100 years, because, in that space of time, half of any quantity of Pu-239 turns into U-239. Half-life and transmutation are inextricably part of the one process because matter and energy are inextricably linked. An isotope can't give off radiation, becoming less radioactive in the process, and remain the same isotope. The loss of energy changes the isotope to a different substance.

ETA: and, like I replied in that thread days ago, I'm not willing to give you my further time on this matter. If you want to fight about this, please keep it in the thread where it began.

It's not all about you, and no-one twisted your arm to make you reply to a post that was not addressed to you.

I posted here in a direct, on topic answer to JustMike, when he asked a question specifically about this topic.

edit on 27/3/11 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Wow, that's actually REALLY significant.

I used to work for OOCL, doing bills of lading for each container on a ship; my job was data input, taking a draft and typing it in and making sure it was PERFECT, typos and all. They had to be perfect because if there was a mismatch at the receiving end, the container was denied to the person claiming it.

To suspend shipments to and from Tokyo alone is going to mean a huge, huge, HUGE cut to OOCL's business. They will not have made this decision lightly.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Would you care to please leave your childish attempts to bait me into a fight in the thread you keep trying to get people to go to? I invite them to go there. They will see I let this disagreement go DAYS ago.

Please stop trying to derail this thread because you cannot let the issue go.

top topics

<< 369  370  371    373  374  375 >>

join