It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 371.htm
<< 368  369  370    372  373  374 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

That helicopter was flying awfully fast!

FUBAR... How are they ever going to bury such a large area in cement, if they can at all?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker

That helicopter was flying awfully fast!

That was my thought as well, that video was obtained by a FOIA request...

So they were forced to release something. I think they sped it up...imo.

Japan’s Nuclear Industry Safety Agency also said on Sunday that the level of radioactive iodine in the seawater off the Fukushima coast near reactor No 3 had risen to 1,850 times the legally permissible level.

Monitoring by Nisa and Tepco showed the level of iodine-131 had risen again after falling on Saturday to 750 times the legally permissible level from 1,250 times that level on Friday
www.ft.com...

edit on 27-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
NHK presenter just reported that "TEPCO cannot detect Pu-239 with their equipment in soil samples. They have sent the samples to a State laboratory for analysis." He added "Pu-239's radiation can be blocked by paper and paper masks. However it is dangerous if inhaled"

That is the first time I've heard NHK mention Pu -239 !!!1

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike, could it be that the French government and Areva have more experience with MOX than anyone else worldwide and immediately realised the enormity of the reactor 3 explosion! Or the enormity of any civil suits from French citizens in Japan.......!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Many Thanks to the Redneck for his excellent contribution, he should me made instantly head of TEPCO!
I hope that his predictions don't come true, but I'm afraid it will happen. I forgive you that you had the wrong type of reactor in mind, hell, it was a real shock to find out that it was this kind of reactor.

Redneck and all other members that keep us up to date, once again, thank you!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Thank you, but I would consider even having to look at anyone from TEPCO right now an insult to my eyes.

After reading what Mike wrote about the Emperor (remember guys, I have no knowledge of Japanese tradition or culture, outside of having to see my kids watch "Power Rangers" and play "Pokemon" a few years back), I can't help but wonder what the Emperor is personally thinking of TEPCO and his country's government right now...

Beautiful post Mike.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I would think the Emperor is thinking how badly Tepco has "shamed" Japan, and her peoples.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
i know japan is not very big..landmass wise are they as big as california? they have a tremendous population with no place to go when the panic finally strikes. this worries me a great deal.

Not only is Japan a tiny country but, according to Wikipedia, only 27% of it is suitable for habitation or agriculture. Thus the residential areas are densely packed already.

The sinking of part of the east coast due to the earthquake is already exacerbating this.

So the residents of Tokyo cannot be evacuated to safer areas within Japan. There's no room for them.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm very sorry for the victims but can you believe this?

In downtown Tokyo, a Reuters reading on Sunday afternoon showed ambient radiation of 0.16 microsieverts per hour, below the global average of naturally occurring background radiation of 0.17-0.39 microsieverts per hour.

www.rte.ie...

Just like the US-prison camps in Germany after WW2. These "Rhine Meadow Camps" had a significant lower deathrate than the normal deathrate in thise days.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Fukushima International Emergency: What Is The Solution? (Revised)

Now that the radiation levels in some zones of the Fukushima nuclear plant stand at 100,000 times above normal (latest revision), what avenues are left to solve this crisis? Should Japan seek expert international intervention because at these levels of deadly radiation most easy-to-deploy domestic solutions can no longer be implemented? The likely human cost in terms of radiation exposure is too horrendous to contemplate in terms of land, sea and air intervention despite the joint efforts of the Japan Self-Defence-Force and the US military. The alternative may be to deploy robots but at this heightened level of radiation even their software-driven semiconductor brains could malfunction.

Leaked water outside nuclear reactor number 2 is emitting 1,000 milliSieverts per hour (mSv/hr) -- 100,000 higher than normal -- according to the latest revision by TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company). That’s higher than the dose that would cause vomiting, hair loss and diarrhoea, according to the World Nuclear Association. The US Environmental Protection Agency says a dose of 1,000 millisieverts is enough to cause hemorrhaging.

Current average limit for nuclear workers worldwide is 20 mSv/year. So an emergency worker at the Fukushima nuclear plant's affected zones may be exposed to 50 times more radiation in one hour than s/he is safely permitted to absorb in one year per international regulations. The Japanese government and TEPCO have elevated the limit for Fukushima emergency workers to 250 mSv/year and even that exposure limit is likely to be crossed in just 15 minutes at this extremely high level of radiation. This makes it very difficult to carry out emergency work at the nuclear plant, hence the workers have had to be evacuated from the most affected nuclear reactors.

www.businessinsider.com...

Bolding emphasis mine.

Statements today are this crisis could continue for months.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

thanks for that link.

months we would be so lucky how long did it take just to contain Chernobyl and it was not sitting on a beach.

I dont think japan will ever recover from this not to their former glory.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I understood fine. I told you it was called "transmutation" and not half-life (but you didn't quote that did you?). Transmutation is a result of the process of decay that happens and is measured in half-life. Explaining transmutation is not the same as explaining half-life. When you were asked "what is half-life" you answered with the definition of transmutation.

No misunderstanding by me, anyways.

ETA: and, like I replied in that thread days ago, I'm not willing to give you my further time on this matter. If you want to fight about this, please keep it in the thread where it began.
edit on 27-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have been doing my best over the past couple of days to digest the magnitude of this disaster and I simply cannot,
It seems only a matter of time now. These are the cards we have been dealt...read em and weep.

I was angry before now I am sick.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

japan...i have found out is only about the size of the state of montana!!! smaller than i thought and if only a small part of that is habitable!!!!!????

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

JustMike;

I think that is safe to say that the evacuation of Tokyo, besides being a nightmare logistically, would likely spell the de facto end of Japan, at least as a world power.

Is it safe to assume that, even if the government of Japan were to order such a drastic move, there would be a great deal of restistance amoung the populace to obey the order?

Under the circumstances, would it fall to the Emperor to spur his people to "Abandon ship"?

Would he? Could he even bring himself to do such a thing?

Would I be correct in assuming that, should the Emperor make another speech, saying something like:

"Japan is more than a beloved homeland, Japan is her people. Wherever there are the Japanese people, there Japan exists."

we can then believe that Tokyo is toast?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That's one scary scenario

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
I think they should come up with a new term for that job- expendable, temporary, part-time workers.

There is such a term here in the US CF's Cannon Fodder

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
there you go...

CNN removed any trace of a news regarding the Japanese nuclear disaster

here is the list of news on their main page :
Obama hopes rebels topple Gadhafi
Libya: An opening for al Qaeda?
Live | Interactive map | Photos
Send iReport | Twitter | CNN Arabic
Other news
Gates: Gadhafi faking airstrike deaths
Official: Syria to lift emergency law
Yemen fights al Qaeda amid protests
Utility: Radioactivity spike report wrong
Radiation traces detected in China
I.Coast's Ouattara rejects AU envoy
Afghan police say Taliban kidnap 50
Palestinians: Israeli airstrike kills 2
F1: Vettel triumphs in Australia GP
Deadly Egyptian cobra missing from zoo

i was wong..there is one : Utility: Radioactivity spike report wrong

edit on 27-3-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Oh, they sure know about MOX! But also, their Embassy staff (like most) would be incredibly astute. It's my guess that they'd been reading between the lies of what TEPCO had announced thus far, and then when the Emperor made his unprecedented speech...

Whoops...I did it again...

I mean.... The lines. They'd been reading between the lines.

Apologies to anyone who might be offended by my flippancy. I know this is serious. I just wish TEPCO's bosses would acknowledge how serious it is.

top topics

<< 368  369  370    372  373  374 >>

join