It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 364.htm
<< 361  362  363    365  366  367 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Did those of you who were watching the NHK feed notice the guy in the offices behind the news anchor walking around with the mask on? That can't be a good sign. How far are they away from the plants? ....Is it so bad that he felt the need to have a mask on indoors? ...and if so, I guess that means the news anchor is putting herself at risk reporting without one.

ETA: Looks like they are in Tokyo if my information is correct.
edit on 3/27/2011 by kismetphayze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
Many work for associated companies such as Hitachi, Watanabe's employer, Toshiba, and Toden Kogyo.

Hitachi COMMA Watanabe's employer IE TEPCO COMMA, Toshiba, COMMA and Toden Kogyo.

It's a matter of how you are reading it
Now play nice

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

make sure you send the proper plugs...

we see what happens when you don't have the right one

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

The core pumps in Chernobyl were at about 50 sV/h. And many people were exposed to the core which was pumping out about 300 sV/h.

Crazy stuff that Chernobyl...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
US embassies in Tokyo passing out potassium iodide pills to all American citizens and their family members

(Posted March 26, 11 a.m. JST)

As a precautionary measure, the U.S. Embassy is continuing to make potassium iodide (KI) tablets available to private U.S. citizens who have not been able to obtain it from their physician, employer, or other sources. We do not a recommend that anyone should take KI at this time. There are risks associated with taking KI. It should only be taken on the advice of emergency management officials, public health officials or your doctor. For more information about KI, see this fact sheet from the Centers for Disease Control, or contact your doctor.

At this time, the tablets are available Monday through Friday (until further notice) at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo at 1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and at the New Sanno Hotel at 4-12-20, Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday (until further notice) there is also distribution at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo from 12 noon to 4 p.m.

Allotments of KI tablets will be provided only upon presentation of a valid U.S. passport. U.S. citizens may obtain an allotment for each family member's valid U.S. passport presented. If you do not have a valid passport, please contact the U.S. Embassy at 03-3224-5000. An allotment of tablets will also be made available to a U.S. citizen for his/her non-citizen immediate family members upon presentation of satisfactory evidence of the relationship. Each adult family member age 18 and over must appear in person and sign a liability waiver form in order to receive their allotment.

link

Sounds like they are expecting this to get much worse.

I noticed that until yesterday, potassium iodide pills were only being distributed to US government workers and their families in Tokyo. Now they are making them available to all American citizens and their families in Tokyo. TSHTF moment?

Check out the earlier posting on the US Tokyo embassy site below:

(Updated March 22, 8:30 p.m. JST)

Potassium Iodide: U.S. citizens can consult CDC guidance on the use of potassium iodide (KI) in the event of a radiological emergency, available online here. U.S. citizens are also encouraged to monitor information provided by Japanese authorities regarding the use and availability of KI. On March 21, consistent with NRC guidelines that apply to such a situation in the United States, the U.S. Government decided to make KI available as a precautionary measure for U.S. Government personnel and family members residing in the areas of Japan for which voluntary departure of family members is also authorized. The recipients of the medicine have been told they should consume it only after specific instructions from the U.S. Government. There is no indication that it will become advisable to take KI, but it has been provided out of an abundance of caution to be used only upon direction, if a change in circumstances were to warrant. In the event of a radiological release, sheltering in place or safely departing affected areas remain the most effective means of protection.

For private U.S. citizens seeking information about KI, we advise you to contact your doctor or employer.

link
edit on 27-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

...seawater tested about 1,250 times higher than normal, Nishiyama ...said the area is not a source of seafood and that the contamination posed no immediate threat to human health.

They keep on using that word ( no (and) immediate ) I do not think it means what they think it means.

Given the fact the we have Radiation should not Mr. Nishiyama be speaking in terms of what threats there actually ARE? I mean I think even Skeletor would have to admit it's about time for that , because there is no longer a rug big enough to sweep this one under
edit on 27-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
For anyone who hopes that this disaster might spell the end of the nuclear industry - I found this record of all 'reported' nuclear accidents www.atomicarchive.com... - We are doing well at learning so far aren't we!!!

"December 12, 1952
A partial meltdown of a reactor's uranium core at the Chalk River plant near Ottawa, Canada, resulted after the accidental removal of four control rods. Although millions of gallons of radioactive water poured into the reactor, there were no injuries.

October 1957
Fire destroyed the core of a plutonium-producing reactor at Britain's Windscale nuclear complex - since renamed Sellafield - sending clouds of radioactivity into the atmosphere. An official report said the leaked radiation could have caused dozens of cancer deaths in the vicinity of Liverpool.

Winter 1957-'58
A serious accident occurred during the winter of 1957-58 near the town of Kyshtym in the Urals. A Russian scientist who first reported the disaster estimated that hundreds died from radiation sickness.

January 3, 1961
Three technicians died at a U.S. plant in Idaho Falls in an accident at an experimental reactor.

July 4, 1961
The captain and seven crew members died when radiation spread through the Soviet Union's first nuclear-powered submarine. A pipe in the control system of one of the two reactors had ruptured.

October 5, 1966
The core of an experimental reactor near Detroit, Mich., melted partially when a sodium cooling system failed.

January 21, 1969
A coolant malfunction from an experimental underground reactor at Lucens Vad, Switzerland, releases a large amount of radiation into a cave, which was then sealed.

December 7, 1975
At the Lubmin nuclear power complex on the Baltic coast in the former East Germany, a short-circuit caused by an electrician's mistake started a fire. Some news reports said there was almost a meltdown of the reactor core.

March 28, 1979
Near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, America's worst nuclear accident occurred. A partial meltdown of one of the reactors forced the evacuation of the residents after radioactive gas escaped into the atmosphere.

February 11, 1981
Eight workers are contaminated when more than 100,000 gallons of radioactive coolant fluid leaks into the contaminant building of the Tennessee Valley Authority's Sequoyah 1 plant in Tennessee.

April 25, 1981
Officials said around 45 workers were exposed to radioactivity during repairs to a plant at Tsuruga, Japan.

April 26, 1986
The world's worst nuclear accident occurred after an explosion and fire at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. It released radiation over much of Europe. Thirty-one people died iin the immediate aftermath of the explosion. Hundreds of thousands of residents were moved from the area and a similar number are belived to have suffered from the effects of radiation exposure.

March 24, 1992
At the Sosnovy Bor station near St. Petersburg, Russia, radioactive iodine escaped into the atmosphere. A loss of pressure in a reactor channel was the source of the accident.

November 1992
In France's most serious nuclear accident, three workers were contaminated after entering a nuclear particle accelerator in Forbach without protective clothing. Executives were jailed in 1993 for failing to take proper safety measures.

November 1995
Japan's Monju prototype fast-breeder nuclear reactor leaked two to three tons of sodium from the reactor's secondary cooling system.

March 1997
The state-run Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation reprocessing plant at Tokaimura, Japan, contaminated at least 35 workers with minor radiation after a fire and explosion occurred.

September 30, 1999
Another accident at the uranium processing plant at Tokaimura, Japan, plant exposed fifty-five workers to radiation. More than 300,000 people living near the plant were ordered to stay indoors. Workers had been mixing uranium with nitric acid to make nuclear fuel, but had used too much uranium and set off the accidental uncontrolled reaction."

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
NEWS ADVISORY: Gov't orders TEPCO to find cause of radioactive water in No. 2 reactor (16:43)

Kyodo News

Sounds like a one-way suicide mission to me. Right now the TEPCO bosses are probably suiting up all those temporary, expendable, part-time workers to go into reactor 2. Remember... 1,000 millisieverts per hour.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I'd have to say yes definitely a TSHTF moment.

That and across the board we are seeing big media "creep" away from the be happy don't worry shore

I believe today's radiation burst is the result of them trying yesterday to cover-up or stop the sea-water polluting which resulted in a an criticality event sometime last night, or early this morning (Japanese time).

The beast of the deal is that a steam explosion now will wipe out most of the condemning evidence at the plant and based on how political pressure for the pro-nuke agenda has been eating crow and driving the propaganda bulldozer at the same time I would place the chances higher than just the physical nature ( as bad as it is ) would seem to indicate

Remember... 1,000 millisieverts

not to mention the neutron radiation that has to be pretty thick in there

...and ghost if the worst happens do try and not live up to your name

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

That is British understatement. Thank you, and please keep yoo chin up and stiff, well. carry on...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan, thousands of anti-nuclear demonstrations erupted on the streets

China news agency, Tokyo, March 20 (Reporter Sun Ran) - 20, the streets of Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan broke out thousands of anti-nuclear demonstrations. Side of the procession of people holding a "please stop the core" of the yellow signs, while shouting loudly through Tokyo's bustling Shibuya streets.

The march by the entire school with the Executive Committee of Japan and Japan launched the national labor exchange center portfolio. Participants to the nature of students and groups around the main trade unions. They have from Sendai, Hokkaido, Osaka, Okinawa came only a few hours to participate in the procession.

Anti-nuclear demonstrations have been held at several times after the earthquake, 20, Shibuya nearly two thousand people march participants, the Japanese National Police Agency dispatched hundreds of police to maintain order.

link

These large protests are still being ignored by the Japanese mainstream media. Looks like things are finally start to slowly break down in Tokyo.
edit on 27-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Understood. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I think they should evacuate japan right about now. All countries should volunteer ships/flights and every country should take a percentage of Japanese till this crisis is over. Keeping the stock exchange open in Tokyo is and should be the last priority.

Every country should bring over all the tools needed for the reactors and drop them beside the workers, if japan chooses not to use them, it's their own fault. At least after everyones evacuated they are only playing with their own and their employees lives.

Things need to be done, we should give them all the options available and if they still continue to decline, we take over.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I agree. But my personal feeling is that most Japanese people would rather die in Japan than flee to a foreign country. Roots run deep in Japan.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Stupidity is no reason for death. No one is implanted in a country, these are lines that we have made up, the earth is the earth, and if they loved the earth they would be excited to be anywhere on it.

I understand the pride, but there is no reason to let pride get in front of preserving your family.

It doesn't matter if your Japanese, we are all brothers and sisters and if you choose to accept it, I am sure ANY country will accept you with open arms, our goals are human life and not corporate greed, as should be the entire planets...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I agree with you if things get worse i fear they may have to evacuate the entire country how are they going to stop the runaway meltdowns now? With such high radiation i feel very bad for the poor people having to work at reactors trying to keep them undercontrol but never in VAIN!.

If they are releasing this information imagine what information they are withholding this is VERY BAD NEWS

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

I agree, just as in Chernobyl they are lying, they know things and they are in uncharted territory and have no idea what to do. Now that's okay, but to not accept any help is wrong, there are plenty of lives that hang on the line, so the problem should have as many bright minds on it as possible.

We need transports in japan, free of charge, to help people with at least the choice to leave the country.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kismetphayze
Did those of you who were watching the NHK feed notice the guy in the offices behind the news anchor walking around with the mask on? That can't be a good sign. How far are they away from the plants? ....Is it so bad that he felt the need to have a mask on indoors? ...and if so, I guess that means the news anchor is putting herself at risk reporting without one.

ETA: Looks like they are in Tokyo if my information is correct.
edit on 3/27/2011 by kismetphayze because: (no reason given)

Pollen allergy. Half of tokyo wears them this time of year. Every year.

top topics

<< 361  362  363    365  366  367 >>

join