It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 361.htm
<< 358  359  360    362  363  364 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
And now this:

Status Reports on the Reactors at Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Plant: Table

No. 1: Contaminated water in the turbine structure contains 10,000 times the radiation of regular cooling water, NHK said. The company has started removing contaminated water from the basement of the turbine building and will prepare more pumps to drain the water, the agency said. The unit has been damaged since a March 12 hydrogen explosion destroyed the building’s walls. The seriousness of the reactor’s threat to safety is rated level five on an international scale of 1-7.

No. 2: Contaminated water in the turbine structure contains 10 million times more radiation than normal cooling water, NHK said. The company plans to remove contaminated water as early as today, the agency said. The company plans to start using freshwater on fuel pool from March 28, the agency said. The containment chamber may have been damaged in a March 15 explosion, and a power cable was reconnected to the unit on March 19. The reactor is rated a level-five threat.

No. 3: Contaminated water in the turbine structure contains 10,000 times the normal radiation, NHK said. The company is considering ways to remove the contaminated water, the agency said. A March 14 explosion damaged the unit’s fuel cover. The reactor is rated a level-five threat.

No. 4: The company plans to spray water in the spent-fuel cooling pool this afternoon, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said. The agency said on March 17 there may be no water in the pool. It’s rated at three on the threat level. This reactor was undergoing maintenance when the earthquake hit.

No. 5: The unit was idle for maintenance before the earthquake.

No. 6: The reactor achieved cold shutdown at 7:27 p.m. on March 20 when the temperature fell below 100 degrees Celsius, the company said. A backup generator was fixed March 19, according to a company press release. The unit was idle for maintenance before the earthquake.

link

Sounds like reactors 1-3 might be going into meltdown. How long until they won't even be able to get close to the plant?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
In the Tokyo metro area, there are 13 million people. I can't even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare that would be to evac everyone. They may have had a chance to pull this off, a week ago.

Now? I don't think that would be pretty. That would be, wow i can't even picture it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

The valves I am used to seeing are motor-driven both ways. If the power fails, they simply freeze where they are. It sounds like the isolation valves malfunctioned when the quake/tsunami hit and the power failed.

And that is why you always use a secondary loop!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

It was supposed to help get this area back on its feet economically; we are in pretty bad shape. Unfortunately, it is looking like it may be scrapped now, despite the fact that it is the PWR design and pretty safe (actually the same reactor used at TMI, but retrofitted with new safety systems after their incident) IMO.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Web cam shots from reactor

If you look at the last 2:00 shot it looks like the panels are there. 3:00, no panels. The 4:00 shot looks like the panels are back on, but it is hard to tell. 5:00 looks either way..... humm.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

It would be nice if they could put those figures into Sv/h... but would that be more panicky than 10,000,000 times normal?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

It would be nice if they could put those figures into Sv/h... but would that be more panicky than 10,000,000 times normal?

TheRedneck

Just change what is "normal". No problem!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Just checking back in I see 10 pages to catch up

Just tuned in to NHK

They were interviewing a University prof regarding the situation at the plants..

Highlights (will catch details next time around)

Radioactive water now in ALL turbine buildings
#2 high level showing traces of elements from core. products of fission
#2 level in water 1000 time higher than #3

#2 'damage' to nuclear fuel indicated in leakage water
#2 damage to suppression system
#3 work still suspended.
Lack of qualified personal on site to manage radiation checking and exposure

TEPCO is investigating source of leak... they have not identified the source

As to the high level in sea water 30km off shore "It is assumed that with time the material will be diluted"
TEPCO has not yet identified where the water that is going into the ocean is coming from

Level in seawater off shore yesterday 1250 level today 1850

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

TheRedneck

Maybe. I do have to wonder how many Sv/h 10,000,000 above normal is.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Web cam shots from reactor

If you look at the last 2:00 shot it looks like the panels are there. 3:00, no panels. The 4:00 shot looks like the panels are back on, but it is hard to tell. 5:00 looks either way..... humm.

No, they are still off.
It's just harder to see with clouds behind it and the sun no longer highlighting it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

TheRedneck

One Sv/h.

Yeah, doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

TheRedneck

Leaking water at reactor 2 has been measured at 1,000 millisieverts/hour - 10 million times higher than when the plant is operating normally.

Japan workers pulled out of reactor, as radiation soars

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This huge update being covered all over the place about 10,000,000 times normal levels of radiation,and what is Fox News covering?

....Lawrence Taylor's wife talking about him and his prostitute pedophilia

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I've tried to write this post for the past half hour and have had to start over several times, I'm just not sure how to proceed but have finally decided I just have to jump in and see where it takes me.

I realize that I am very new to ATS and therefore have not earned the trust and respect of my fellow ATS-ers but I cannot let that deter me. I also have to be careful in that what I'm sharing with you could get me in a lot of trouble if it were to somehow get linked back to me in the 'real' world as I've been warned not to share this information with even my family.

I am a volunteer fireman with my local city's fire dept. in a suburb of a large metropolitan city on the west coast. We're required to attend a weekly 2 hour fire training exercise and are also required to attend a couple of special full-day training events throughout the year which are scheduled far in advance; 3 of these events have been scheduled to take place over the course of 2011.

I received a call from our fire chief yesterday (Friday) instructing me that a special training event involving several FD's in the greater metro area had been scheduled for Sunday and he asked if I was able to attend on such late notice. I told him that unfortunately I had a family commitment that I could not miss and that I would not be able to make it and I asked him what brought on the last minute training as this was completely out of the ordinary, all of our events are always scheduled WAY in advance. He basically said that he could not go into detail on the nature of the training and that was all he could tell me at this time.

Well, this really got me curious as this has never happened in the 8 years I've been a volunteer. After I got off the phone I decided to call the deputy chief to try to get more info as he and I are pretty close (our boys are in soccer together). When I finally got hold of him tonight he basically told me that they had been instructed to assemble all FD personnel possible for a 5 hour exercise related specifically to emergency response / medical treatment for a natural disaster event. I found this odd in that we have had many disaster training events over the years and I pushed him for information on the specific nature of the training and why it was being organized in such a rush.

He basically told me that he could not go into detail and that he strongly suggested that I attend if there was any way for me to make it work. As I've been closely following the developments in Japan I immediately began to worry about the possibility of these events somehow being connected and I asked him directly if they were. At that point he told me that he could not give me any more information outside of the training event but that if I was concerned about the Japan event impacting us locally then I should 'definitely attend if at all possible' and that was all he could say to me at this point.

I'm not trying to suggest that emergency services in my area are being set up to deal with a radioactive event but at the same time, I'm certain that he was basically telling me that the training was at least, in part related to this.

Again, I'm not trying to fear monger here but at the same time I really believe that we are about to be trained on how to deal with a radioactive event in some way, shape or form. This could very well be simply a precautionary event due to the uncertain nature of the situation unfolding in Japan. It would certainly make sense to ensure that first responders are prepared for a worst case scenario here on the west coast.

Please take this for what it is; I'm sharing this with you as I feel that I am pretty well insulated from any repercussions due to my relative anonymity on this site. Again, this is probably just our regional officials attempting to ensure that our local FD's are in a position to assist in the event of a worst-case scenario, nothing more.

Unfortunately I just can't drop everything and go so I won't be able to confirm for you the specifics of the training but again, I'm fairly certain it has to do with the nuclear event in Japan.

I'm going to connect with a few other volunteers tomorrow night and if I do find out anything more I will share it with you all.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kennypowers

How would you know? Unless you are watching FOX. Why do all posts come to hate mongering??????

Cant we just stick with the subject at hand?????????

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The valves I am used to seeing are motor-driven both ways. If the power fails, they simply freeze where they are. It sounds like the isolation valves malfunctioned when the quake/tsunami hit and the power failed.

Each steam line penetrating the containment of a BWR is fitted with two MSIVs, one inside containment (inboard) and one outside containment (outboard), which are designed to perform the following safety functions:

(1) Prevent damage to the fuel barrier by limiting the loss of reactor coolant water in the event of a major leak from steam piping located outside the primary containment;

(2) Limit the release of radioactive materials by closing the nuclear system process barrier in the event of a gross release of radioactive materials from the reactor fuel to the reactor coolant water and steam;

(3) Limit the release of radioactive materials by closing the primary containment barrier in the event of a major leak from the nuclear system inside the primary containment.

Each MSIV is operated by a combination air and spring actuation system. Helical springs surrounding the spring guide shafts close the valve if air pressure is not available. Each inboard MSIV is supplied with air from the containment drywell pneumatic or nitrogen system. These air supplies are supplied through check valves into accumulator tanks which provide a pneumatic reserve for the closing of each valve.

www.nrc.gov...

I highly doubt that the both MSIV's failed. My view is that the containment was damaged due to the hydrogen explosion, caused by an incident that was beyond design basis, caused by inadequate preparation towards natural disasters and an inadequate mk-1 containment design, which has long been criticized. We already know that the suppression pool of one of the reactors is damaged, which may be resulting in leaks of radioactive water.

I see no reason to criticize the fundamentals of Boiling Water Reactors when they actually have many advantages over Pressurized Water Reactors. Only early Boiling Water Reactors were built with this style of containment, others have full PWR style containments.
edit on 27/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Japan Self Defense Force members in protective clothing prepare to transfer to another hospital workers who were exposed to radiation at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, at the Fukushima Medical University Hospital in Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan March 25, 2011. REUTERS/Yomiuri Shimbun THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

Alertnet

Please tell me that isn't brown tape they have round their legs?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Sounds like officials are preparing for possible elevated radiation levels on the west coast.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Low-paid, part-time Fukushima reactor worker loses trust in nuclear authorities, speaks his mind

Like much of Japan, Watanabe is in awe of their bravery. "Of course, someone has to go and do the job and maybe the people who went wanted to do the right thing," he said.

He does not want to be asked to make the same sacrifice. The 35-year-old had been working as a caretaker at an old people's home when he got his first job at another nuclear plant three years ago. Since then, he has bounced from job to job in the industry, working for below the average monthly wage.

A number were seasonal workers, using a job at the plant to supplement livelihoods as small farmers. Some, like Watanabe, have been hopping between jobs at nuclear plants for years.

At the outset he had few concerns about his safety at Fukushima – he says that he was never issued with protective gear. "They were always bragging about safety. They would say the plant was strong, that it could withstand an earthquake."

"Now I have no trust in that place," said Watanabe. The only way he thinks he will return to work at Fukushima is once the authorities declare radiation levels are low enough to demolish it. "They said they would close the plant. If that happens, there could be work again, tearing it down," he said.

link

Sounds like they are using temporary, part-time workers in those nuclear plants. And from what I have heard, these types of workers are less dedicated than full-time 'lifers' in Japanese companies.

edit on 26-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

They use contract workers so when the shat hits the fan and workers die the sub companies declare BK and the families get nothing.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kennypowers
This huge update being covered all over the place about 10,000,000 times normal levels of radiation,and what is Fox News covering?

....Lawrence Taylor's wife talking about him and his prostitute pedophilia

JUST REPORTED ON FOX NEWS.

top topics

<< 358  359  360    362  363  364 >>

join