It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 357.htm
<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Here you can see in the US design that the water in the reactor vessel is kept seperate from the water in the steam generator that touches the turbines. This eliminates the possibility of radiation leaking from the steam line.
www.aaenvironment.com...
edit on 3/26/2011 by Erasurehead because: source

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Also, clearly, if that's where the leak is/was, and it's too radioactively dangerous to work in there, then all that stuff about sorting things out by re-establishing power was clearly BS - no?

And, does that possibly explain why there's loads of 'hot' water flooding down into sea waste-gates - i.e. if cores also have molten/overheated and they are HAVING to attempt to cool them by running water in even though it's pouring out from leaky pipes outside the core body/main structure?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The six reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant, which had explosions on Saturday and Monday, are all GE-designed boiling-water reactors, known in the industry as BWRs. Five have containment systems of GE's Mark I design, and the sixth is of the Mark II type. They were placed in operation between 1971 and 1979.

A fact sheet from the anti-nuclear advocacy group Nuclear Information and Resource Service contends that the Mark I design has design problems, and that in 1972 an Atomic Energy Commission member, Dr. Stephen Hanuaer, recommended that this type of system be discontinued

The NRC database of nuclear power plants shows that 23 of the 104 nuclear plants in the U.S. are GE boiling-water reactors with GE's Mark I systems for containing radioactivity, the same containment system used by the reactors in trouble at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant. The U.S. reactors are in Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Vermont.

openchannel.msnbc.msn.com...

This is not good news...can you say oops?
edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Lmao.

Today on a Japanese tv talk show, a funkily-dressed Tokyo clown 'tv talento' was talking about how rain is good for the current situation, as it safely washes the radiation away.

What scares me is that masses of Japanese people get their 'information' from such unreliable sources.
edit on 26-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Styrge

You are right, and I have been wrong on that point this whole time. the Fukushima plants do not use a secondary contained loop. The reactor water is sent directly to the turbines themselves.

I have been following this very closely and missed this as well. God help us, we're up the creek! Now it is all making sense, the core is wide open to the primary loop, which is of course designed to leave the containment of the reactor building, and circulate to turbines, only cooling in a secondary loop to the sea as a heat sink. Obviously now there are all sorts of routes for core water to escape, and even cross over to the seawater cooling through a damaged heat exchanger. It is worse than I thought. Will have to think on this some more... I guess that's why the electricity is so important. It must be wide open, draining just as fast as it can be filled...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Actually I think we're both wrong, here's what the article says

But the rest of the workforce, from firefighters to welders to electricians, are drawn from a pool of semi-skilled labour who work for low wages. Many work for associated companies such as Hitachi, Watanabe's employer, Toshiba, and Toden Kogyo.

Source

*underlined by me.

What's up with the defensive attitude MedievalGhost? Did I insult you?

edit on 26-3-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Live conference on NHK now............where is Zorgon!?

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

thanks for the news on the global hawk i must have missed that hopefully that information gets out but im not gonna hold my breath the level of conflicting information from the media and tepco is staggering i just wish we could get more accurate unbiased news on it with out all the corporate spin if people are in danger they need to be told and told immediately

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Actually I think we're both wrong, here's what the article says

But the rest of the workforce, from firefighters to welders to electricians, are drawn from a pool of semi-skilled labour who work for low wages. Many work for associated companies such as Hitachi, Watanabe's employer, Toshiba, and Toden Kogyo.

Source

*underlined by me.

It seems like he was possibly working for both at the same time (maybe at the Fukushima reactor on Friday-Sunday?). The article doesn't clarify that. But it is clear he was working in Fukushima reactor number 1 on Friday when the quake hit. Scary to think that they are always rotating out these temporary part-timers.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by brocktoon

website

It says on this site that...

These pellets are then put into a long tube made of Zircaloy (an alloy of zirconium) with a failure temperature of 1200 °C (caused by the auto-catalytic oxidation of water), and sealed tight. This tube is called a fuel rod. These fuel rods are then put together to form assemblies, of which several hundred make up the reactor core. The solid fuel pellet (a ceramic oxide matrix) is the first barrier that retains many of the radioactive fission products produced by the fission process. The Zircaloy casing is the second barrier to release that separates the radioactive fuel from the rest of the reactor. The core is then placed in the pressure vessel. The pressure vessel is a thick steel vessel that operates at a pressure of about 7 MPa (~1000 psi), and is designed to withstand the high pressures that may occur during an accident. The pressure vessel is the third barrier to radioactive material release.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes folks, you to can make your own homemade nuclear reactor! These folks did (or maybe not, this can't be real!)

and this guy too

BBC report, man in NY makes his own reactor

edit on 26-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

After the incident, TEPCO examined the reactors and found that not only Number 3, but both the Number 1 and 2 reactors have highly radiated water in their basements. The company says it will pump the water out of the Number 1 reactor's basement and pour it into a condenser. TEPCO says it plans to drain the basement of the Number 2 reactor on Sunday and it is considering various means of removing the water inside the Number 3 reactor building.

NHK

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Lmao.

Today on a Japanese tv talk show, a funkily-dressed Tokyo clown 'tv talento' was talking about how rain is good for the current situation, as it safely washes the radiation away.

What scares me is that masses of Japanese people get their 'information' from such unreliable sources.

I did not know that they showed CNBC in Japan,,Funky dressed Clowns has to be CNBC!!!
edit on 26-3-2011 by rancher1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

Then all the barriers this guy is crowing on about have failed, if we are seeing the concentrations of radio-nucleotides we are seeing in the "basement water". To me, this is indicating at least partial meltdown.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Int'l commission recommends Japan temporarily increase radiation limits for public

The institution pointed out that even if the power plant comes safely out of the critical situation, areas affected by the accident will remain radioactive for many years to come. Therefore, it suggested, even after the power plant crisis is resolved, the government should keep the upper limit at 1 to 20 millisieverts per year before it gradually brings it back to its original 1, in order to prevent residents of Fukushima Prefecture from abandoning their hometowns.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Yes, that is the type of reactor design I am familiar with. I actually thought all water-based reactor designs were derivations of this design, but obviously I was wrong.

That double cooling loop is a final defense against catastrophic radiation release... I still cannot believe someone decided to delete it. If there is anything that could turn me against nuclear power, this is it.

I mean, I am not even a nuclear physicist... just a guy with a lot of experience in design and an insatiable desire to know how things operate... and I can see the inherent danger in such a system!

Incidentally, in light of this realization, I am increasing my personal alert for Japan. Get out, and pray you make it. The whole island. This could release more radiation than I initially realized. China had better get prepared as well. The US may still be OK, but the western Pacific is gonna be a mess for a long long time. If I was in Alaska, I would start watching very close just in case.

Level 8 on the INES scale. Yeah, I know they'll have to add a level.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancher1

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Lmao.

I did not know that they showed CNBC in Japan,,Funky dressed Clowns has to be CNBC!!!
edit on 26-3-2011 by rancher1 because: (no reason given)

Trust me. Many Japanese tv talk show clowns make CNBC commentators look like nuclear experts.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted plus people might have missed it.

The operator of a stricken Japanese nuclear plant has been berated by officials for a lack of transparency and failures to protect workers. The government said Tokyo Electric Power Co had to provide information more promptly. The nation's nuclear agency said the operator of the Fukushima plant had made a number of mistakes, including worker clothing.

The UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has now sent extra teams to the Japanese nuclear plant.

He said Tepco also knew of high air radiation at one reactor several days before the incident at the Fukushima Daiichi plant 240km (150 miles) north of Tokyo.

bbc

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Erasurehead

Yes, that is the type of reactor design I am familiar with. I actually thought all water-based reactor designs were derivations of this design, but obviously I was wrong.

That double cooling loop is a final defense against catastrophic radiation release... I still cannot believe someone decided to delete it. If there is anything that could turn me against nuclear power, this is it.

I mean, I am not even a nuclear physicist... just a guy with a lot of experience in design and an insatiable desire to know how things operate... and I can see the inherent danger in such a system!

Incidentally, in light of this realization, I am increasing my personal alert for Japan. Get out, and pray you make it. The whole island. This could release more radiation than I initially realized. China had better get prepared as well. The US may still be OK, but the western Pacific is gonna be a mess for a long long time. If I was in Alaska, I would start watching very close just in case.

Level 8 on the INES scale. Yeah, I know they'll have to add a level.

TheRedneck

What are we talking about here Redneck? A slow release or a "squib" or a big boom? How about the west coast of Canada, do you now think I should leave and how soon?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

That is a little misleading. For example, the zircaloy casing is only a physical containment, not a containment for the neutron radiation. Zirconium is chosen specifically because it does not contain the neutrons and therefore allows a chain reaction to occur when the control rods are removed.

There are only three neutron containments present: the control rods, which are removed for operation, the concrete shell around the reactor itself (the 'primary containment wall' in PWR units), and the water itself in the steam lines. There is no additional safety containment should one of these be breached.

Beta and gamma emissions containment is provided by the steel of the reactor and of the schedule 120 piping (please don't anyone tell me they used thinner pipe too!) that holds the water/steam.

Each type of radiation needs a different type of containment, and the material used to physically hold the materials in place is considered as a containment in that article. It's like trying to discuss growing vegetables, but including weeds in the discussion and referring to everything as plants.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join