It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 356.htm
<< 353  354  355    357  358  359 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Maybe this will help, if it doesn't come up big enough maybe someone could enlarge it......

The diagram shows, 5, core spray inlet and 7, feed water inlet and 18, inlet. It seems to show that the core has it's own water inlet or is that wrong?

Also, number 7 will be what The Redneck was on about when he explained how they were injecting water in manually as number 18 uses a pump and that is what has lost power.

edit on 26/3/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Social media "foursquare" style rad monitoring! Yay! RDTN.org

the japan readings actually show ~Gy/h and ~Sv/h but the US west coasters are just showing cpm

ah except for you Dave Martin of TX.
edit on 26-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: gooo dave

edit on 26-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

That's because the data (as they state) is coming from RAD.net on those readings. They haven't had enough ppl sign up with their own counters yet. If you click on the readings from Jap and and elsewhere you will see what the reading is based on how the instrument is calibrated.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

catching up on this thread so aplogize if this has already been said

yeah were not technicly at war with gadaffis country and definatly not at war with japan but i think why we ask politely to get footage of japan is they have advanced tech that would spot our drones and it would be kinda bad if we tried tp sneak in there and take pictures

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by curioustype

catching up on this thread so aplogize if this has already been said

yeah were not technicly at war with gadaffis country and definatly not at war with japan but i think why we ask politely to get footage of japan is they have advanced tech that would spot our drones and it would be kinda bad if we tried tp sneak in there and take pictures

Uhh... whaaa...

See this post...

If you aren't Team America clearance or above, it just stays blank.

edit on 26-3-2011 by Chakotay because: If you give her a star, you might gets clearance...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Compared to many of the other threads in this section of ATS, this one has been a breath of fresh air... the most intelligent, informing, and mature of them all. This is very important, especially for those of us who are currently living in Japan. I want to thank TheRedneck, Zorgon, and many other members here for their professional opinions, contributions and analysis. I really hope it remains this way and doesn't devolve into disinformation, mudslinging, and far-out crap like so many of the other threads here.

edit on 26-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Compared to many of the other threads in this section of ATS, this one has been a breath of fresh air... the most intelligent, informing, and mature of them all. This is very important, especially for those of us who are currently living in Japan. I want to thank TheRedneck, Zorgon, and others members for their professional opinions, contributions and analysis. I really hope it remains this way and doesn't devolve into disinformation, mudslinging, and far-out crap like so many of the other threads here.

Yes,I am in total agreement.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Low-paid, part-time Fukushima reactor worker loses trust in nuclear authorities, speaks his mind

Like much of Japan, Watanabe is in awe of their bravery. "Of course, someone has to go and do the job and maybe the people who went wanted to do the right thing," he said.

He does not want to be asked to make the same sacrifice. The 35-year-old had been working as a caretaker at an old people's home when he got his first job at another nuclear plant three years ago. Since then, he has bounced from job to job in the industry, working for below the average monthly wage.

A number were seasonal workers, using a job at the plant to supplement livelihoods as small farmers. Some, like Watanabe, have been hopping between jobs at nuclear plants for years.

At the outset he had few concerns about his safety at Fukushima – he says that he was never issued with protective gear. "They were always bragging about safety. They would say the plant was strong, that it could withstand an earthquake."

"Now I have no trust in that place," said Watanabe. The only way he thinks he will return to work at Fukushima is once the authorities declare radiation levels are low enough to demolish it. "They said they would close the plant. If that happens, there could be work again, tearing it down," he said.

link

Sounds like they are using temporary, part-time workers in those nuclear plants. And from what I have heard, these types of workers are less dedicated than full-time 'lifers' in Japanese companies.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by checkmeout

This question has entered my mind as well. If things do take a turn for the worse and a large portion of the population of Japan needs to be evacuated, where will they go? As a people, they are quite industrious and would be an asset to any country that would take them in. It would not surprise me if the USA would offer them safe refuge. This could even help boost the economy and turn around the depressed housing market. Assuming the same thing does not happen here and we end up in the same situation someday.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

I wasn't really suggesting that the issue was about gaining permission to fly USA UAVs over the site(s), given that the news that these were being used I think was first mentioned in a Japanese government briefing, (as I recall it was the first Wednesday of the event and said that a Global Hawk flight was scheduled for Thursday, but was not accompanied by any [further briefings until*] very restricted releases of imagery quite some time afterwards. I consider it even more rstricted given that there have been subsequent statements infering that the USA have been monitoring the incident with at least Global Hawk but also with sniffers and satellite/navy monitoring EVERY day throughout the incident).

No, what I was getting at was about the control of the entirety of information subsequently held by the USA and others (France, UK) about the situation there, and whether that may, or may not, square completely with their simultaneous rhetoric about humanitarian causes to protect the safety of civilians elsewhere - i.e. Libya.

My comments were in the context of what was emerging a couple of days ago on this thread about the cracked core/2001 repair history, and other knowledge, surely held, and discussed, by the USA, French and UK governments in relation to the history of safety concerns in all manner of areas from the initial GE designs, to the French MOX fuel safety guidelines and upgrades...

So should we, and the MSM be letting our governments get away so easily with witholding what must surely have been from very early on at least as detailed view as we can hope to see in this thread (I suspect we only know the half of it even now), and intelligence on the likely or actual status of this incident?

It just seems to me to get too close to being complicit in supporting what most of us clearly suspect is criminally negligent practices by Tepco in relation to both their safety practices and suspected misinformation campaign, that could well hurt many people in harms way in Japan and further afield?

Perhaps I've got it all wrong and they feel they need to lock-down their information release in synch' with Japan for fear of further antagonising China, or world markets over the incident?

Keep up the good work! Time for me to retire for the evening.
edit on 26-3-2011 by curioustype because: typo corrected

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Before people start slinging mud at TEPCO, the man in the article is (was?) employed by Hitachi.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Before people start slinging mud at TEPCO, the man in the article is (was?) employed by Hitachi.

Wrong. Did you even read the %&!# article? I didn't think so.

I guess I'll have to quote it for you:

Fukushima plant worker Tomotake Watanabe, who was inside reactor No 1 when the earthquake hit, says he no longer trusts the nuclear authorities.

The last time Tomotake Watanabe turned up for his shift at the No 1 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear plant, he was thrown to the ground by Japan's powerful earthquake and showered with broken glass and ceiling plaster.

Now he awaits a call to join a mission to regain control of the plant whose danger is terrifyingly evident. "I feel under pressure that I might be called back," he said. "I don't feel I need to volunteer, but I worry about what I will do when I get called."

The only way he thinks he will return to work at Fukushima is once the authorities declare radiation levels are low enough to demolish it.

link

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Styrge

Sometimes, one can be staring directly at the Hope Diamond and see nothing but the mud around it.

You are right, and I have been wrong on that point this whole time. the Fukushima plants do not use a secondary contained loop. The reactor water is sent directly to the turbines themselves.

The only thing I can offer in my defense of my ignorance is that I cannot fathom who in their right mind would even consider allowing radioactive water at that severe intensity out of a tightly controlled primary loop. The very concept even yet is boggling my mind. But, indeed, that is what has been done in Fukushima.

That means I have to amend my observations up to this point: the reactor core water can reach the turbine room. It is actually designed to be piped through the turbines themselves. God help us.

The rest of my observations do still stand, including the probable sources of the observed isotopes, the presumed damage to the reactors, and the effects that can be expected. The only error is again, that the radiation in the turbine room would have been the result of a leaking pipe, and would not necessarily be accompanied by damage in the suppression chamber (although such damage can exist; it simply doesn't have to exist).

I also want to go on record as saying that every single reactor that uses this design should be immediately de-commissioned, worldwide. This design is ludicrous! GE should be fined out their wazoo, possibly denied the ability to ever produce another reactor, for ever even considering such a crazy idea.

Sorry guys, redneck make a boo-boo. I still think I have a better track record than TEPCO though.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

Aren't the rods still surrounded by their own water though and cased in and the fresh water surrounds it? Or does that water actually touch the rods?

In the US, yes, but in this plant... NO!

In this plant, the same water that covers the fuel rods is sent directly to the turbine... which means that a leak in the main steam line would always leak highly radioactive water. An entire 'wall' of defense has been totally eliminated purposely by design!

Sorry again for any confusion caused by my ignorance of how stupid humans can be.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

every single reactor that uses this design should be immediately de-commissioned, worldwide. This design is ludicrous! GE should be fined out their wazoo, possibly denied the ability to ever produce another reactor, for ever even considering such a crazy idea.

Kind of shows everyone complicit in clearing and signing off supply and transit of MOX (government and corporate and IAEA) to those same plants years later when they really should have known better (did I hear such upgrades weren't only restricted to Japan's earthquake/tsunami prone sites?) in somewhat of a bad light too wouldn't you say?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Perhaps the realisation of that and the use of MOX was one of the reasons the Japanese government were so visibly P"$%ed off with Tepco in those early stages?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

There's nothing to apologise about.

You've been wonderfully enlightening with your explanations, even the one time you were wrong, because reading that, and then reading how the water system really is, is very helpful to understanding the situation and the problems with it.

It's a good man who can admit to having been incorrect.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by MissTiger

Aren't the rods still surrounded by their own water though and cased in and the fresh water surrounds it? Or does that water actually touch the rods?

In the US, yes, but in this plant... NO!

In this plant, the same water that covers the fuel rods is sent directly to the turbine... which means that a leak in the main steam line would always leak highly radioactive water. An entire 'wall' of defense has been totally eliminated purposely by design!

Sorry again for any confusion caused by my ignorance of how stupid humans can be.

TheRedneck

No need to be sorry.

I put up a picture of the wrong reactor!

Wouldn't they know where that water came from!!!??? If the steam is always radioactive. Plus I'm sure someone said there is now radioactive water in two other plants.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

wow, what you said about the type of reactor being the one where the water is in direct contact with the rods and not in a seperate containment system and cooled/headed via that is a real eye opener!

i had only read about these types of reactors and am shocked that their in use so close to so many people!

i remember reading about these years ago and thinking "wow, thats a really bad idea".

absolute crazy ... the amount of radiation that must be coming out of the water must be crazy at the moment ... esspecialy if their is a leak somewhere!

top topics

<< 353  354  355    357  358  359 >>

join