It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 354.htm
<< 351  352  353    355  356  357 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

been posted a few times
Chernobyl Disaster Documentary
www.abovetopsecret.com...

First one is OP second one is on page 2

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Could somebody start a radiation monitoring thread? I am a new user so I am not allowed to start one. My suggestion is to report:
The radiation rate, preferably in Sieverts, for example microSieverts/hour
Location: coordinates, city/town, country, and a short description on what was measured i.e. ground, etc...
Date and time,
The model of radiation detector.

My apologies if such a thread already exist

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Teknetium

wow that would take some input, and education to know what we were seeing and what is normal. like for instance stick a detector next to the bananas in the supermarket..."we are gonna die" would be ones thought but not the case at all. see what I mean?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why is it beginning to feel like the solution to every disaster is to douse it, make it sink, as far to the bottom of the ocean as possible to make it disappear? I mean seriously this might explain their spraying agenda, to just brush as much of the radiation into the ocean so that people on land get less of an impact, to the detriment of our oceans? I saw a similar strategy in the bp gulf disaster, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's a good part of what they are trying to do.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hGO0QjaKSQvRoL07uEqfWLmWnaew

Stricken Japan reactor marks 40th anniversary

(AFP) – 8 hours ago

OSAKA — The Japanese operator of a stricken Fukushima nuclear plant Saturday marked 40 years since the first reactor started commercial operations with a boast of safety "unthinkable elsewhere".

"It is extremely disappointing to mark the 40th anniversary this way," Sakae Muto, vice-president of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), told a news conference. "And we feel very sorry."

The 9.0-magnitude quake and huge tsunami on March 11 paralysed the cooling systems of the Fukushima Daiichi (No.1) plant 250 kilometres (155 miles) northeast of Tokyo, leaving it on the brink of a catastrophic meltdown.

Emergency workers have sprayed huge amounts of water on the reactors -- including the 460,000-watt number one reactor -- to prevent the fuel rods becoming exposed and spewing out dangerous amounts of radiation.

US giant General Electric started construction of what was TEPCO's first nuclear reactor in September 1967. It began commercial operations on March 26, 1971.

(...)

The 1977 Japanese-language video, which was entitled "The Nuclear Power of Fukushima" and updated in 1985, hailed the plant as a "model of technological innovation in nuclear power generation".

The film, available online at www.kagakueizo.org/2011/01/post-332.html, documents the construction of the plant on rocky foundations by the Pacific.

(...)

edit on 26-3-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Happy 40th Anniversary, Tepco!!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknetium
Could somebody start a radiation monitoring thread?

That would require us having an independent trust worth source of such radiation from each region

We don't have that, hence the confusion

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks buddy. I was hoping for names, but I'll go figure them out. I hate watching stuff on my computer, or iPad, much prefer to watch on a tv.

Chernobyl was a crazy incident, and I find while watching it I kind of get anxiety. I feel for the people.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by Teknetium

wow that would take some input, and education to know what we were seeing and what is normal. like for instance stick a detector next to the bananas in the supermarket..."we are gonna die" would be ones thought but not the case at all. see what I mean?

Yes I see what you mean. It is a problem. And non-calibrated detectors would give the wrong readings, might underestimate or overestimate the actual values. When Chernobyl happened a hobbyist in Sweden was among the first in the world to report abnormal radioatin level. He was measuring the radiation in the forest in Sweden and found that "everything was radioactive". He reported to the local newspaper but the newspaper did not believe him, they perhaps thought he was a lunatic.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by checkmeout

didn't Cliff Hi predict Emigration?,,,bet he didnt see it happening in Japan

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
March 26, 2011, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Radiation spikes in sea off Fukushima plant

www.marketwatch.com...

The spokesman said he was unsure about the cause.

“Radioactive substances may have been transmitted through the air, or contaminated water could have drained from the plant somehow,” he told reporters Saturday “I don’t have further ideas.”

In addition to heightened levels of iodine-131, the nuclear agency said the seawater contained 117 times Japan’s legal limit of cesium-134 and 80 times the threshold for cesium-137.

A person drinking half a liter of water with the latest level of contamination would be consuming 1 millisievert, the equivalent of a full year’s acceptable consumption, according to the Journal.
The seawater contamination is the latest in a long list of problems that, beyond regaining control of the reactors and spent-rod pools before they overheat and release massive amounts of potentially deadly radiation, includes reports of increased radiation levels in Japanese crops, milk products and drinking water. Several nations have banned imports of Japanese food.

edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Anyone besides me, getting damn tired of hearing "I don't know"...: from Tepco ???
edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The Tide would create 'back-flow' from differential air pressure created bu the tide in an 'open' drain pipe. Lots of coastal cities have had the same problem when they use direct to sea sewage dumping . Seattle Washington use to have such a severe problem that sometimes people on the second story of sea-level dwellings would have water coming (bursting is a better word)out their toilets and drains at high tide,
At any rate If I had built the system it would have back flow preventors in case an accident ( so that pressure levels could be kept under control) happened and it may be that these had manual controls outside the main builds that were accessible. It would answer zorgon's questions and explain a lot of other 'little' mysteries. If they had decided to open the back flow preventors to get the seawater (without pumps) to at least some part of the cooling system AND the sea level is now higher the tidal pressure may have been their initial pumping system.

Anyone care to compare tidal charts with our first few initial 'steam out" incidents?
edit on 26-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by predator0187

been posted a few times
Chernobyl Disaster Documentary
www.abovetopsecret.com...

First one is OP second one is on page 2

Is that the one with a child who has the brain outside the skull?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

As frustrating as it is to say 'I don't know' - I think in the Japanese culture that is a huge NO NO.. I am only basing this on my experience of teaching English in China and their concept of 'face'.. for example.. my friend and I were paid in cash and had to take this to the bank.. we were given directions and the address written in Chinese.. we got a bit lost and asked people where the bank was.. the first people said - its up there 2nd street on the left.. so off we plodded in the hot midday sun.. after 20 mins - no bank so we asked again - the second people said - oh its down there.. on the right - about 3rd street across.. ok thank u (confused now!) - so we searched for a while longer (and almost got robbed!) we asked again and got a totally different answer - finally we found the bank by pure chance.. but the point was the Chinese people could not say 'I don't know' because they would lose face.. they had to give an answer.. so I am thinking that the fact that the TEPCO folks are saying 'I don't know' means all hope is lost

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
AFP agency provided a good video about Fukushima. But no English translation.

See edit above or click www.kagakueizo.org/2011/01/post-332.html

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Power increases or power uprates are typically broken down into 3 categories
Less than about 2% increase can be achieved by simply reloading the core with more NEW fuel bundles, or fuel bundles with more U-235 in them, i.e. more highly enriched which will generate more thermal energy. Cores are reloaded usually with only about 1/3 new fuel bundles , the other fuel is left in there from the previous cycle.

Increases up to about 6 % can be achieved can be achieved by adding more new fuel
and changing instrumentation over to newer more accurate instrumentation.

Over 6 or 7% power increases usually require plant modifications to plant equipment such as main turbine controls, condensate/feedwater pumps and other supporting systems which requires more capital investment.
edit on 26-3-2011 by fltcui because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by checkmeout

I'm beginning to feel that way too...TY for the reply.

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I bet if you google your plant there will be pics online somewhere

I'm starting to like you....

Source: www.panoramio.com...

There she is, in all her radioactive (sic) glory... j/k, no fuel on site...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 351  352  353    355  356  357 >>

join