It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 350.htm
<< 347  348  349    351  352  353 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Here's another funny thing, they are making a very big deal out of the freshwater injections, fair enough it's better than continued sea water, but all that did was stop the salt build up in the reactor vessel which some estimate at thousands of pounds each. So what they are doing is pumping in fresh water...and turning it into salt water.

In other words, there still is salt water in those reactor vessels, it's still eroding the materials and still building up on the rods. Until they come up with a way to completely flush those vessels, that's not going to change. And I don't think they can do that until someone walks in, opens the RV access plate and does it by hand.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
www3.nhk.or.jp...

Repeating report right now

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Never mind i think i got this wrong! Sorry!

edit on 26-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

I think that poster was actually supporting us, and not insulting us. I think the "hundreds of hours of collective research" referred to this thread. I could be wrong, though.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

good post Zorgon.

was this tsunami new like today or yesterday new?

all this water could be from the ground if japan has sunk in places 3 meters (an it has) then the water table IS higher both for saltwater and fresh.

no matter where its from That much water coming out of a Nuke plant full of holes is VERY concerning!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
At this point, two weeks after the event, maybe it's okay if coverage of this starts winding down. The damage has been done and is irreversible. A lot more people will die, that's for sake sure.

There IS no solution and we screwed up the planet. Happy Earth Day, everyone.

No use crying over spilt radioactive water.

Eat, drink and have as much sex as possible. Life is short...(No, seriously.)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

But government officials said Saturday night they are not sure whether the primary containment vessels have been breached and are still researching the source of contamination. Analysts say it could be from reactors or from cooling pools where used nuclear rods are stored.

so urce

Yeah, I know. Washington Post...

But it illustrates more of "we REALLY don't know what's going on or how to deal with it, but we're going to keep trying anyway."

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Yeah i think you are right!
I cancelled my comment. Besides, I don't Want any fights

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
From the horses' mouth....

Conditions at the site remain "very grave and serious," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said. "We are not in a position where we can be optimistic. We must treat every development with the utmost care."

The situation at the stricken plant remains unpredictable, government spokesman Yukio Edano said Saturday, adding that it would be "a long time" until the crisis is over.

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. is now rushing to inject the reactors with freshwater instead to prevent pipes from clogging and to begin extracting the radioactive water, Hidehiko Nishiyama of Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said Saturday.

www.usatoday.com...

Des
edit on 26-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Mar 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Here's another funny thing, they are making a very big deal out of the freshwater injections, fair enough it's better than continued sea water, but all that did was stop the salt build up in the reactor vessel which some estimate at thousands of pounds each. So what they are doing is pumping in fresh water...and turning it into salt water.

In other words, there still is salt water in those reactor vessels, it's still eroding the materials and still building up on the rods. Until they come up with a way to completely flush those vessels, that's not going to change. And I don't think they can do that until someone walks in, opens the RV access plate and does it by hand.

good point. this might be a reason we are seeing a rush of water from the plant into the sea right now?

how long till the salt dries and clogs the piping system? is that possible?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I don't know how many thousands of tons of water they claim have sprayed on the buildings (sometimes even IN), for the most part to fill the spent fuel pools, but I've been monitoring the water levels in these pools and the injections into the reactors from the beginning of data and have not seen an appreciable change in the stated levels.

So where the hell is all that water been sprayed on? Has Tepco been lying all along about injecting saltwater into the reactor vessles and suppression pools (via emergency fire suppression valves) and actually been using those firetrucks to hose down the PCV because that is the only way to keep them cool?
edit on 26-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: added reactor info

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

See that big Water sewage into the sea?
It's probably underwater. That's where the water is going.

Funny how some official reports state (cannot find the links , i'm with iphone)
"the water injected has already returned to the sea" or something.

As if the water was walking ...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The reality of the situation is likely somewhere in the middle

We need to remember that the current reality is already much worse than the "middle" range of outcomes most thought likely at the beginning. When there is little solid data, "in the middle" can cover a very wide range.

The best evaluation of the present situation for most us is that it remains highly uncertain, not clearly winding down or clearly spiraling out of control to global disaster. And not clearly in the middle.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
It has been 2 weeks. The only big problem appears to be reactor 3.
This nuclear accident seems to be winding down.

Really?

Well that is great news

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
reply to post by zorgon

See that big Water sewage into the sea?
It's probably underwater. That's where the water is going.

Funny how some official reports state (cannot find the links , i'm with iphone)
"the water injected has already returned to the sea" or something.

As if the water was walking ...

I can't help but wonder, based on the extreme amount of water in photos posted above, IF just if, some of that water is coming from a breach in the ground under the plant. They were built right on the coast. Toss in a level 9 EQ, tsunami...aftershocks...who knows. Wonder what the tide was doing when those photos were taken...hmmm.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Stick with the gloom and doom and you'll get more stars, and everyone will agree with you.

Tell you what... since the situation is under control, how about you fly over and get us a first hand report... I am sure we can get some people to chip in to buy you a ticket

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

There is no way that volume of water could be coming off the spraying as it occurs. I'm wondering if they got some basement pumps working and are pumping water out of all the buildings water has accumulated in after 10 days of spraying and injections into spent pools and cracked reactors.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Also, number three vessel may not be "cracked" ... Reports are showing that the leakage came from piping in the turbine housing not from the vessel itself... But that is still unconfirmed.

I hope that is spun reporting. That water came from wherever the corium is, and I really, really, really hope it is not flowing in the pipes to the turbine room.

Of course, corium would melt the pipes... but my point is, don't listen to the spin. The water came form around the cores. I am certain of that.

TheRedneck

To back up what TheRedneck is saying,(please correct me if I am wrong!) even if the plant was in 100% condition, the pipes to the turbine room should never contain radioactive water. The radioactive water is contained in sealed pipes in another room, these pipes heat up a tank of fresh clean water that then goes to create steam to turn the turbine. Think about how an old fashioned kettle looks like inside.

See picture for explanation.

If the water in the turbine room is contaminated it can only mean there is a breach starting back from the reactor and the water is mixing together in the two pips.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I am thinking it might be seawater from the spraying that had pooled in areas of the building... so it would contain radioactive levels proportional to the exposure in those areas.

I am also wondering... we do have plants which are cooling actively (#5, #6), and it appears this plant is using aquathermal cooling instead of aerothermal cooling... in other words, while my plant used cooling towers, huge radiators with a venturi-shaped shell that aided air flow, it appears that Fukushima used coils underneath the ocean to exchange heat and cool the steam lines. Fukushima's design was probably more efficient than ours.

But here's the if... and I am not saying I believe this has happened at this time, only that I am looking at it as a possibility... IF those undersea pipes were damaged by the original quake/tsunami, they could have allowed seawater to travel back along them into the plant (assuming of course that there was a reason for the backflow... areas below sea level, pressures created, etc.). If those same pipes are deteriorating due to radioactive exposure, pressure from trying to start the cooling systems, or even from time, then they could be opening the entire area of the plants up to the ocean through these submerged lines, releasing any trapped backflow as well as any pooling from the spraying operations.

That's all I have come up with yet. Somehow, we have water pooling in the turbine building, obviously having been in close proximity to the fuel, water pouring out into the ocean of a highly radioactive nature, and continually higher radiation readings from inside and around the plants. I tend to think they would all be related, and the main steam lines do run from reactor to turbine to ocean and back.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

that makes perfect sense thank you very much for the lessons!!

do you think this release of water all at once it seems. is caused by the plant operators or an overflow? just thought of a breach in a water gate?
what terrible news can we see if water is still coming out?

top topics

<< 347  348  349    351  352  353 >>

join