It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 347.htm
<< 344  345  346    348  349  350 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
yesterday I have seen a very useful picture showing the layout of whole site of fukushima Daiichi and the underground sewage where water flows into the sea, below sea level.

I can't find it anymore. Does any of you have the link to the picture?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by reg
Just wanted to give you guys (and gals) keeping us up to date on the situation in Japan.

I havn't seen this mentioned all week on the TV/radio here in the U.K, they seemed to have found something better to report on with Libya. Pretty pathetic really how they have the power to decide what news we get to hear about, Thank god for ATS.

I completely agree with the statement reg makes above ... I'd also like to add that I have followed this thread from day 1 ... and continue to check it several times a day (every day) so as to keep abreast of the situation.

TheRedNeck and Zorgon (and a few other dedicated members) have worked so hard ... and educated us so well ... thank-you so much for continuing to keep us informed with truthful and detailed information ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has followed this thread without actually posting who feels the same ... and I just want you to know that your efforts are truly appreciated ... this is what makes ATS stand head and shoulders above the rest

Woody

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
And people are being told that water is not safe to drink...

But really, how many parents know that SHOWERING, or BATHING in that water is as bad? And they do it anyway? Even if 10-20% don't know that, that's still 10-20% of 35+million of Tokyo + the other cities around Fukushima.

Seriously, because parents would have to use bottled water to clean their kids and themselves. That might be ``tolerable`` for them for a few days, but not weeks, especially when they have to go to work/school.

This is just sad.

And give me a break just wash the vegetables and all radiation is cleaned. Hell those vegetables, for the last few weeks, grew drinking contaminated water. Even if you clean the exterior of it, the vegetables still drank radioactive water, so there's radiation IN IT.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yes, thank you for stating this reality. I'm disallowing my wife and son to travel through Narita on her trip to the UK this next week due to my concerns for our 4 month old. The in-laws aren't willing to understand and appreciate the situation at all. I'd really like to hogtie'em down and have them read this thread in its entirety.

In addition to what you'd mentioned I'm pretty sure the linens in the hotel she'd have to stay in overnight for the layover aren't washed in bottled water either. So, add to a population that maybe drinking bottled water but walking about rubbing shoulders in clothes contaminated with Iodine-131 from the laundry doesn't sound like an environment I'd allow my family given the choice. I feel so deeply for the Japanese right now and for the lack of knowledge they apparently having to suffer on these issues.

Also, I'm a bit put off by the term "water injection" that gets used in the media to describe what is happening at the Fukushima plant. That term seems to br something used to comfort people that something of a more complex nature is being done than just spray and pray effort.

Thank you so much to everyone participating in this thread. Been here from it's start and to comment here is the reason I created my account last week.

Soul

edit on 26-3-2011 by Soulwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Good report.

Austrian Der Standard reported another, Cobalt-58 March 22nd.

Japans Sicherheitsbehörde: "Waren zu optimistisch"

derstandard.at...

French news -

Radioactivité anormale dans l'eau de mer près de Fukushima

Créé le 21/03/2011 à 18h26

www.rtl.fr/actualites/international/article/radioactivite-anormale-dans-l-eau-de-mer-pres-de-fukushima-7670449259

AFP - Radioactivité dans l'eau de mer: appels à des contrôles sur le poisson
23 Mars 2011

www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iXiHrtaPq7FrDMHRKTFEp3IRu-1w
edit on 26-3-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It's about time! You can never trust corporations and company men.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarLightStarBright2
Hi, i am well over 200 points and i can not access this link you posted.....I keep getting a 404 error....Do you know why?...Or anyone else know?...Thank you.

I'll answer your question! Looks like your post count is 170, you only have 30 more to go to access SilentThunder's RATS thread.

With everything going on, I'm sure you can get there quickly.

OiO

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavis

A little off topic, but heres an older game video trailer of a FPS game at the Chernobyl plant.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I don't fully trust Greenpeace as I think they have an agenda however some of this is/maybe interesting.

Greenpeace radiation monitoring team begins Fukushima assessment

Scope of the monitoring: This preliminary monitoring work sees the team spend several days documenting radioactive contamination and dose rate levels in the areas north-west of the Fukushima evacuation zone (20km radius from nuclear plant) that have been most affected by the radioactive releases.

Source

I don't know how I feel about GreenPeace either; but they were the ONLY ONES shouting to anyone that would listen about the dangers of using MOX fuel, and this was in 1999. At that time, they were trying to get people to to take notice of a huge shipment of MOX to FUKUSHIMA and another Japanese Nuclear Facility nearby. Seems ironic now, that here we are 12 years later staring the danger straight in the face with many people like myself wondering how MOX ever got approved for use in reactors that weren't originally tooled for using it. The link I added about the GreenPeace stance on this subject goes back about 100+ pages.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Washington Post has posted a really great breakdown of what is going on at the nuclear plant. Page 2 has great diagrams of how each unit is designed.

Japan’s nuclear emergency

Please visit the link for more!
Japan’s nuclear emergency
edit on 26-3-2011 by OneisOne because: add link twice

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

That is an amazing graphic, if it is accurate then the only real worry is the #3 MOX fueled reactor.

1 and 2 seems to be stable, and crews are going to begin fresh water injection in unit 2 today.

Also, number three vessel may not be "cracked" ... Reports are showing that the leakage came from piping in the turbine housing not from the vessel itself... But that is still unconfirmed.

So, IF they can get unit three cooled down and supply constant cooling ... The worst will be over.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Unit 3 has been cracked since 2001. Go back about 10 pages and find the post about this. #3 is definitely, for certain, 100% cracked. In multiple places. And then basically tied together with wire.

#1 and #2 are far from okay.
edit on 26-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

ETA: this is the same thing I run into with people in real life. They see one thing that looks positive and hopeful, and suddenly "it's all almost over, everything's going to be fine." But when you keep up with every post in a thread like this, I mean every.single.post, you realize everything is FAR from okay, but it's pretty hard to explain that when the context and facts aren't there. You just have to hope they read. Nothing against you personally, it's just that "the worst is almost over" is just laughable at this point.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
the radioactive water was below all 3, n1, n2 and n3

The puddle below n.1 contains CL38 which indicates fission is still taking place. But they claim there is no breach in the containment.

For n.3, the puddle below the surface contained levels of radiation from 2Sv to 6 Sv per hour ( we say per hours as reports posted earlier indicate the workers stayed in the water 50 minutes and got these levels of radiation) but there is no crack in the reactor, just some damaged pipes

They will throw all this water at sea in order to be able to access the basements to pave the road for fresh water cooling.

levels of deniability are still ok

edit on 26-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Unit 3 has been cracked since 2001. Go back about 10 pages and find the post about this. #3 is definitely, for certain, 100% cracked. In multiple places. And then basically tied together with wire.

No, No. Remember that it's not the same reactor. The report posted yesterday was about damages and replacements of parts at Fukushima DAINI n.3, not DAIICHI
edit on 26-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It looks like recent problems aren't the time that they have had issues:

May 25 (Bloomberg) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co., Japan's biggest power utility, said it shut down a nuclear reactor at its power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, northern Japan, because the reactor's cooling system wasn't functioning.

Source

In regards to the Washington Times article, it almost sounds like spin doctoring. It also fits in with the incremental release of information that has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

ETA: this is the same thing I run into with people in real life. They see one thing that looks positive and hopeful, and suddenly "it's all almost over, everything's going to be fine." But when you keep up with every post in a thread like this, I mean every.single.post, you realize everything is FAR from okay, but it's pretty hard to explain that when the context and facts aren't there. You just have to hope they read. Nothing against you personally, it's just that "the worst is almost over" is just laughable at this point.

I seen the reports about the cracks and repairs when it was posted. No one here at ATS is qualified to make any assessment on that failure and repair in relation to this event

I didn't say it was almost over, I said the worst may be over.

The process of clean up and containment will take years and there will be devastating impact on the environment, if the worst was over today ... The first step is to control the situation, and from that graphic they are making progress. with some serious setbacks at unit three... You and I are not there and can only go with what is made public, and when sourced from outlets out of Japan, it gives it a bit more creditability.

What should be more alarming than your frustration with any optimistic news on this subject is your immediate dismissal of it, and your equally uninformed assumptions that it is worse than it may be.

Is it such a bad thing to have a little optimism when and where there is reason to?

Or should we all just walk away now and say there is no hope, the world is going to end, we are all going to die, Japan is dead... etc?

edit on 26-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I agree nunya !

My problem is that even when TEPCO knew about these problems,they brushed the data aside,risking ALL the inhabitants of Japan. What greed can do...................

The cascade of events at Fukushima had been foretold in a report published in the U.S. two decades ago. The 1990 report by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, an independent agency responsible for safety at the country’s power plants, identified earthquake-induced diesel generator failure and power outage leading to failure of cooling systems as one of the “most likely causes” of nuclear accidents from an external event.

While the report was cited in a 2004 statement by Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, it seems adequate measures to address the risk were not taken by Tokyo Electric, said Jun Tateno, a former researcher at the Japan Atomic Energy Agency and professor at Chuo University.
Accident Foretold

“It’s questionable whether Tokyo Electric really studied the risks,” Tateno said in an interview. “That they weren’t prepared for a once in a thousand year occurrence will not go over as an acceptable excuse.”

Japan Nuclear Disaster Caps Decades of Faked Reports, Accidents

FUKUSHIMA EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI STATION BLACKOUT ACCIDENT.pdf

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You just have to hope they read. Nothing against you personally, it's just that "the worst is almost over" is just laughable at this point.

I think we need context. Here's an interesting article with a good point that I think applies.

Nuclear: The Optimist’s Conundrum

When I was at that low, I realized something about why people don’t usually stand up like I did. There is risk involved in taking a positive stand. I call that risk: “The Optimist’s Conundrum”. It goes something like this:

An optimist and a pessimist both look at a situation. The pessimist says: “It is going to fail. A terrible tragedy. People will die.” The optimist says: “It’s OK, it will work. No one will die.” Events unfold. Things neither one predicted happen. The situation resolves and all can see the result.

If the pessimist was wrong, he can say: “We were lucky. The next time People will die.” BUT, if the optimist was wrong, people died. That is a terrible burden. And one that makes many afraid to be the optimist.

We, who are out there, declaring that things will be OK, are the optimists, but each and every time something happens, we have to step up to that plate and take a swing. And each and every time, we have to hit the ball. Those of us that have stepped out worry, pray, and struggle with doubt when things go awry.

www.stumbleupon.com...

Whereas people making absurd statements (e.g. "Japan should be evacuated!!!" or "this could kill MILLIONS of people") can get away with it because they can just claim "oh that was close, that's what almost happened". I've seen absurd statements from both sides.

I think the best we can do is acknowledge that the situation is very serious and that we should wait until it's finished before making judgment.
edit on 26/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 10987654321
On the Numerology front the 2nd of april look auspicious.

For you americans the day is written first.and zero is not a number

2 + 4 + 2 + 1+1 = 10 so the number is 1

Now every letter has its number in numerology, so fukushima will read as follows.

F= 6 U = 3 K = 2 U = 3 S = 1 H = 8 I = 9 M = 4 A = 1 total = 37 and 3 + 7 = 10 = 1

Now take the word Nuclear and read its number.

N = 5 U = 3 C = 3 L = 3 E = 5 A = 1 R = 9 total = 29 2+9 = 11 as the number 11 is a master number it stays the same

Now the word Explosive.

E = 5 X = 6 P = 7 L = 3 O = 6 S = 1 I = 9 V = 4 E = 5 total = 46 so 4 + 6 = 10 or 1

And so there seems to be words and dates ending in the number 1 , does numerology fortell the future, well we only have a few days to waite for that answer,

Further to my numerology post above.

Ive noticed that the numbering of these reactors also produces the number 1.

There are 6 reactors, but only 4 of them are in trouble, 1+2+3+4 = 10 zero not a number so again we have 1

So will the 2nd of April be a bad day at Fukushima. as 2 + 4 + 2+ 1+ 1 = 10

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
And yet more past problems:

March 28 (Bloomberg) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co., Asia's biggest utility, will delay completion of two nuclear reactors after admitting that an accident was covered up in 1978, the latest blow to public confidence in Japan's atomic power program.

Fukushima Daiichi's seventh and eighth reactors will be finished in October 2013 and 2014, a year later than planned, the utility said today. The company may have to report safety breaches in addition to a possible chain reaction during a shutdown three decades ago, said President Tsunehisa Katsumata.

source

And

Japan's biggest nuclear utility, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), admitted that it has found cracks in the pipes of two reactors that were destined to burn mixed oxide (Mox) fuel made at BNFL's Sellafield Mox Plant in Cumbria.

Details of the cracks have been kept secret for more than two years. Tepco has shut down the two reactors at Fukushima Daiichi and Kashiwazaki Kariwa and has delayed restarting them until hundreds of pipes are checked.

source

And

Aug. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co., Asia's biggest power producer, said some radioactive water spilled from storage pools into ventilation systems of three nuclear reactors because of an earthquake that shook Japan two days ago.

``The amount of radiation found in the leaks was not very dangerous,'' spokesman Keiichi Yoshida said by phone today. ``In all cases, the water was easily cleaned up, and none of it escaped outside the plants.''

A total of 24.5 liters (6.5 gallons) of water leaked, the Tokyo-based utility said in a statement yesterday.

source

And

Tepco admitted the 'dishonest acts' in a press release issued in late October, During the two annual inspections at Fukushima Daiichi 1 (Fukushima I-1), plant staff knew that the containment leak rate was too high. When government inspectors carried out the leak tightness test the staff injected air via the main steam isolation valves to reduce the leak rate. Reportedly the actual rate was 2 per cent per day compared to the allowed maximum of 0.45 percent per day. By manipulating the valve, the rate was reduced to 0.12 per cent per day.

source

So it seems as though there is a long string of problems and mishandling by Tepco that is well-documented. How can anyone think than this company will be forthcoming about current problems when they have a demonstrated history of trying to cover up previous mistakes?

top topics

<< 344  345  346    348  349  350 >>

join