It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 34.htm
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
does anyone know why japan is mobalizing their defence forces ?
its the biggest since world war 2

they are mobilizing anyone they can, i think

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
does anyone know why japan is mobalizing their defence forces ?

This is the biggest civil emergency they have had since WWII. So, no big surprise there. They got thousands of people to help in various ways. Find survivors, gather them up, get them to shelter, feed them, clean and clothe them, gather-up and dispose of the bodies of the victims (to avoid the break-out of various diseases). It's a very big deal.

Not to mention all the dismantlement and clearing of infrastructure that's been damaged. That's probably why they need all the help they can get from both their own military (for helicopters, bulk transport in various forms, etc), as well as US military going to help (helicopters and fixed-wing craft running supplies and looking for survivors, operating from our carriers).

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Well, "deforming" might refer to the ballooning that can happen within the reactor core rods in bad situations. But I think it's a lame stall before admitting meltdown.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

# 0656: Yukio Edano, the government spokesman who's been giving regular updates to the press, tries to provide further reassurance by saying that the radioactivity so far released into the environment does not pose a threat to human health.

Considering we have reports of up to 30 people hospitalized for radiation, how can they honestly say this?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Sounds like they're trying to avoid using the term "melt-down".

Yes, meltdown is just so overused by the alarmists lately. I believe a gradual diffusion of material is far more appropriate at this point. Nothing to worry about really, it's just a gradual diffusion of material at two, I mean three locations now. Plenty of sea water to go around. Let's get that fresh sea water on those nasty cores real good now. All around now, that's it.

Japanese authorities are operating on the presumption that possible meltdowns are under way at two nuclear reactors, two days after a massive earthquake, a government official said Sunday.

www.cnn.com...

Japanese officials struggled today to contain a widening nuclear crisis in the aftermath of a devastating earthquake and tsunami, saying they presumed that partial meltdowns had occurred at two crippled reactors and that they were facing serious cooling problems at three more.

www.boston.com...

I can see why they wouldn't want to cause panic though. I mean what if they just threw up their arms and told everyone to run? At least this way we know someone is trying to get something done.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Do you think they can observe the deformation if they are retracted and in shut down mode? I would assume thats possible isn't it?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

link is here

Mobilization of Self-Defense Forces in Japan is the largest since World War II - nytimes nyti.ms...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Yeah, they're afraid of the term "melt-down". Probably because they are worried people will assume that a "melt-down" will equal burning/melting through the bottom of the various containment mechanism's (inner and outer structures) - the so-called "China Syndrome". If it got that far, obviously that's a big contamination of the surrounding environment, etc. But, just because the core "melt's-down", doesn't mean it leaves the containment measure's - which is basically what happened at TMI back in 1979.

I suspect, they don't want people jumping to that worse-case contamination scenario, nor do they want to be compared to TMI. However, I think the TMI comparison is moot point for them at this point. So, they should just accept that and move on.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might be better to tell people "No it won't be another Chernobyl, just another TMI. The reactor's will be junk now, but we're not going to kill people and wreck the environment (for hundreds or thousands of years) for miles of surrounding area."

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added additional thought.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I watched a video on you tube one time. It was someone going down the stairs during the Chernobyl meltdown. The video had no sound but someone added text. They said it was a film that the KGB had made during the crisis. It also went on to say that the individual who filmed it died very quickly. I couldn't find it again but your post reminded me of it.

As far as filming the deformation, I doubt it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

The active rods stay in one place, it's the control rods that retract. If the control rods aren't in place, it would be easy to see the fuel rods. I'm pretty sure they have cameras in each room, and if those have been damaged, they're probably using robotic cameras.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Okay thanks for explaining that.
It sure would be nice to see that feed wouldn't it :-)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Ok, so CNN needs to get a real "expert" on there.
Bill Nye the Science Guy? seriously? that's the best you can do CNN?

Can't they at least roll-out Jimmy Carter?

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fomatting, spelwing adn grwhmer.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Definitely would be. That's why I'm glued to ATS because I simply can't monitor all news sources at once AND look up # on Wikipedia, LOL. We all gotta add our pieces.

ETA: oh, wait, you're saying it would be nice to see the video feed from the reactor. LOL, yes it would be! I totally misunderstood your comment!
edit on 13-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I was wondering ,caught a glimpse of MSM on tv and the are talking about wind directions from Japan.
No worries,just some storms,local weather,thats all.
Going to sleep now,on the list for tomorrow,iodine stuff.
Till the End

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

I watched a video on you tube one time. It was someone going down the stairs during the Chernobyl meltdown. The video had no sound but someone added text. They said it was a film that the KGB had made during the crisis. It also went on to say that the individual who filmed it died very quickly. I couldn't find it again but your post reminded me of it.

As far as filming the deformation, I doubt it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This is slightly off topic , but I just had a thought.
How long will it be until North Korea says that if any radiation crosses into NK it will be seen as an act of war? I expect it any time now........

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Oddly enough, I seem to recall during part of the TMI incident, they did actually have some remote camera inside the facility on live television (no Internet back then though). Maybe it was just the control room, but looking at the control-room's remote display of what was going-on with the control rods, etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
How long will it be until North Korea says that if any radiation crosses into NK it will be seen as an act of war? I expect it any time now........

If anything, it gives them something to blame for radiating their own people in the event of another failed nuclear warhead test. But, yes - off-topic. So, let's leave it at that.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

North Korea wasnt even reporting the earthquake to its people until today.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
At least 160 being tested for radiation exposure in aftermath of #quake. on.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join