It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 330.htm
<< 327  328  329    331  332  333 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomjones69
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

The guy without his head and face gear on is essentially just saying, "ahh, we're f*cked."

LOL

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
reply to post by zorgon

like in this pic

Okay so that gives us reference points for these pics

(AP Photo/Tokyo Electric Power Co. via Kyodo News)

the live feed pics last night

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

ahhh thanks for that I've been waiting for them to find out how much idiocy the seawater thing is. I posted on IAEA facebook group about that, then posted here, then dropped the subject seeing as I knew it would be figured out sooner or later (later by them having more problems, lol, too predictable).

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

March 25: Workers, who stepped into radiation-contaminated water during Thursday's operation at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, are shielded with tarps before receiving decontamination treatment at a hospital in Fukushima, northeastern Japan.

Emphasis added.

The tarp shielding was explained last night as normal by a Japanese person on line. It is to afford privacy to the workers from the cameras. It is common practice in Japan

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

You are right, it is predictable!!!

I came across a Kyoto news article today that has the worst spin ever in regards to the change from seawater to saltwater.

As a step to bring the reactors under control, authorities are eager to replace seawater with fresh water in cooling the reactor cores and the pools, as crystallized salt could form a crust on the fuel rods and prevent smooth water circulation, thus diminishing the cooling effect.

english.kyodonews.jp...

I have no doubt that could be true, but they failed to mention that using the seawater made the situation worse because of the corrosive effects. But why share that bad news......

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ev0luti0nist
Another strong quake in Japan today
earthquake.usgs.gov...

when do they stop calling these aftershocks

When the source of the quake is at a different location. As long as they are related to the big one they are aftershocks

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I am guessing they paint it all green, as green is good for you, in reference to green being natures colour.
It kind of makes me want to pull out the deck chair have a cold one and take a dip.
edit on 25-3-2011 by marsend because: typo, addition for completness

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

That report actually makes sense.. 2-6 Sv/h in a short time period can burn skin pretty easily, and would be consistent with core levels around a cracked reactor in partial meltdown. The readings were 400 mSv at the surface level of the water and lower in the air above it, indicating that the source of the contamination was inside the water,

The big concern up until now seems to be iodine-131, but iodine is not very soluble in water. My gut is telling me that this is neutron-enhanced water, resulting from close proximity with decaying uranium. More indication that the water in the turbine building is coming from the reactor containment area, which in turn is more indication that there is both a breach and a meltdown.

There are two operable transport mechanisms for radioactive contamination of the surrounding area now... the overhead airborne radiation, which will enter the ecosystem through rainfall and settling during downdrafts; and the neutron radiation, which is contaminating the water supply directly, and which is more intense and long-lived than the airborne radiation.

I am expecting the evacuation zone to expand to the 80km radius established earlier by the US very soon now. And sadly, I now believe it is inevitable that this will devastate Tokyo itself, and possibly beyond. This is why I made the unpopular statement a few times to just walk away and be ready to contain the radiation instead of wasting time trying to control an uncontrollable beast. All these herculean efforts, all the pain and suffering of those on the ground, and all the lies and spins have only expanded the areas involved and placed more highly populated areas at risk.

At least we seem to be getting actual reports. The downside is, we are getting them at a time when even the best spun info will no doubt be horrific.

TheRedneck

edit on 3/25/2011 by TheRedneck because: fixed units correctly

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
reply to post by TheLastStand

You are right, it is predictable!!!

I came across a Kyoto news article today that has the worst spin ever in regards to the change from seawater to saltwater.

As a step to bring the reactors under control, authorities are eager to replace seawater with fresh water in cooling the reactor cores and the pools, as crystallized salt could form a crust on the fuel rods and prevent smooth water circulation, thus diminishing the cooling effect.

english.kyodonews.jp...

I have no doubt that could be true, but they failed to mention that using the seawater made the situation worse because of the corrosive effects. But why share that bad news......

Ahhh...not to mention the 60+ tons of salt build-up in the reactors....sheesh....frying pan into the fire, right in front of our eyes.

SALINITY AND ITS VARIABILITY...
Oceanographers report salinity (total salt content) and the concentrations of individual chemical constituents in sea water -- chloride, sodium, or magnesium for example -- in parts per thousand, for which the symbol o/oo is used. That is, a salinity of 35 o/oo means 35 pounds of salt per 1,000 pounds of sea water. Similarly, a sodium concentration of 10 o/oo means 10 pounds of sodium per 1,000 pounds of water.

The salinity of ocean water varies. It is affected by such factors as melting of ice, inflow of river water, evaporation, rain, snowfall, wind, wave motion, and ocean currents that cause horizontal and vertical mixing of the saltwater.

bromine (brmn)
Symbol Br
A reddish-brown volatile element of the halogen group found in compounds occurring in ocean water. The pure form is a nonmetallic liquid that gives off a highly irritating vapor. It is used to make dyes, sedatives, and photographic film. Atomic weight 79.904; atomic number 35; melting point 7.2°C; boiling point 58.78°C; specific gravity 3.12; valence 1, 3, 5, 7. See Periodic Table.

Des
edit on 25-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nghtshd

I think someone needs to invite these 'scientists' to this thread. You all figured this out days ago!!!

Surely you don't think that they just came to realize the corrosive nature of sea water and the possible implications.

After listening to that press release last night... I would have to say they really don't have a clue what is happening or what to do about it. It was scary

Unfortunately I had no way to record it. I will see if NHK has an archive on it.

Here is the key statement...

It said 3.9 million becquerels of radiation was detected from 1 cubic centimeter of water sampled from the floor of the building. The radiation level was about 10,000 times higher than the water inside a normally operating nuclear reactor.
www3.nhk.or.jp...

THIS should be more than enough to scare the crap out of anyone
edit on 25-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
And the insanity continues :

MOX shipment to leave in April

PARIS (Kyodo) A ship carrying nuclear fuel processed in France is expected to leave for Japan in early April, environmental group Greenpeace France said Thursday.

The uranium-plutonium mixed-oxide (MOX) fuel slated for the shipment is the same type as that used in the No. 3 reactor at the quake-crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, it said.

I mean COME ON.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
It was 10,000 from the press release yesterday

from here... my post

Originally posted by zorgon
UPDATE

TEPCO just announced levels 10,000 time higher than normal in the water that they walked in and cesium 144 detected in the water. Cesium 144 is a product of fission

3,9 million Bq/kilogram....

www.livestation.com...

Ok some observations:

according to the formula being used by the society of gynecologists and obstretricians to calculate the sievert (body harm) measurement from the bequerel (total radiation output):
Bq * 2.2 / 100 = uSv

1000 uSv = 1 mSv
1000 mSv = 1 Sv

3.9 million Bq/kg = .086 Sieverts (not the 2 to 6 that the radiological doctors reported) = I believe the doctors

2nd observation: every time a 'high' millisievert measurement is given, its always 400. It seems like a few standards, either under 100 or 100 when they compare with the 250 maximum, or 400 when they talk about exceeding. Theres no way this is accurate, and its proven now with the doctors saying that about the workers foot exposure.
edit on 25-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

Originally posted by 10987654321
On the Numerology front the 2nd of april look auspicious.

For you americans the day is written first.and zero is not a number

Since this is a minor derail I have to ask: If the numbers only work for a specific way of representing the date how is that conclusive? Why is Day-Month-Year any more correct that Month-Day-Year

2 + 4 + 2 + 1+1 = 10 so the number is 1

Now the word Explosive.

E = 5 X = 6 P = 7 L = 3 O = 6 S = 1 I = 9 V = 4 E = 5 total = 46 so 4 + 6 = 10 or 1

explosive and not explosion? Why would you choose that word? is it because the numbers don't work if you use 'explosion'?

That is the case of course,that the word explosion does not result in the number 1 , but in your rush to point that aspect out and gain some qudose from the crowd here, you are missing the point of what a particular word means,

I dont see this site resulting in a nuclear explosion, but there could well be another type of event that causes the situation to be described as explosive, so the word used in the right context is valid , in my view.

PS, where did i say using the day first was more correct than other ways. ?
edit on 25-3-2011 by 10987654321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Reminds me of how CNN got a hard-on in trying so hard to tell Americans that levels of radiation reaching the west-coast were a billion times less then any that can do damage. I guess that hard-on got soft because now they are saying the number is 1000 times less then the an amount that could be damaging. They are equally as excited to bring home the point that these levels are not a threat. God I hate CNN.
edit on 25-3-2011 by tomjones69 because: added

edit on 25-3-2011 by tomjones69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That is the case of course,that the word explosion does not result in the number 1 , but in your rush to point that aspect out and gain some qudose from the crowd here, you are missing the point of what a particular word means,

I don't care about kudos, I was genuinely curious.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

As for the tarp. Someone stated a few pages back that they could be using that to protect the identity of the workers per Japan's privacy laws.

yes... glad someone is paying attention
trouble with this big thread is all the work done last night probably isn't even being read

I just checked at NHK and thought they have the picture of the press release, the actual recording is gone (or I haven't found it yet) and the info has been changed this morning. I HOPE someone on youtube caught the actual interview... I will repost the highlights

Press conference...
www.livestation.com...

Seems there are still issues at #5 and #6 they needed to replace a pump at #6...

The rest was just more we would LIKE to get power going we would like to switch to fresh waters etc... then he started about the workers...

I guess he read something in his notes he did not like as he interrupted the speech to consult with his staff

When he came back he admitted that radiation management at the plant was flawed and more important... he mentioned that while the water feeding from the boiler(reactor) to the turbines is radioactive, it is normally in secure containment... however the presence of this contaminated water where the workers were indicates that there is 'damage to the nuclear fuel' (from translator)

So #3 reactor containment is confirmed damaged. Hopefully this will be followed up soon in other news sources

This is the place the video should be

www3.nhk.or.jp...

but the story is different and marked 25_29 Last night it was 25_22 I will try to back track the url to find it

edit on 25-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks

What do you think about the other stuff reported to be in the water?
Cerium for example, I have heard that this not stuff that would travel easily out of the core

The company says 3.9 million becquerels of radioactive substances per cubic centimeter were detected in the water that the workers were standing in. That is 10,000 times higher than levels of the water inside a nuclear reactor in operation. The level of radioactive cerium-144 was 2.2 million becquerels. Also, 1.2 million becquerels of iodine-131 was measured. These substances are generated during nuclear fission inside a reactor.”

www3.nhk.or.jp...

This is from another source and it does not include cerium

The company was trying to determine where the water came from. According to TEPCO and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA), the water was found with 3.9 million becquerels of radioactive substances per cubic centimeter, about 10,000 times the level of water used to cool reactor cores. Cobalt-60, iodine-131, cesium-137 and other substances, which do not normally exist in cooling water, were detected, the officials said[

www.asahi.com...

edit on 25-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Oh boy , oh boy... I remember my self saying that the minute those explosions took place, became the moment things gone out of human control. Guess i was right.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

You spoke very well and true in that post but why is it that we can not correlate the threat that is in Japan to us here on the West Coast of North America and throughout North America. After Chernobyl, it was proven that Cancer's were cause and deformed babies were born as far away as the South of France. Now, we are now at a level 6 with no end or solution in sight. How long until your post will be what people are demanding here on home soil. It's no secret that this has the possibilty of being far worse then Chernobyl. Chernobyl on steroids if you will.

top topics

<< 327  328  329    331  332  333 >>

join