It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 327.htm
<< 324  325  326    328  329  330 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Nothing we don't know...Just for the record.

Latest situation update from: hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 60
On 25.03.2011 at 11:31 GMT+2

Residents living between 20 and 30 km from the wrecked Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant are being urged to "voluntarily evacuate" amid difficulties in obtaining daily necessities and the possibility of further radiation leaks, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Friday. While stressing that current radiation levels in the area do not necessitate immediate evacuation, Edano said notices have been sent out to municipalities asking them to be ready to work closely with the central and regional governments in the event an evacuation order is issued.

"With the lack of business and logistics, people's lives are becoming increasingly difficult within the 20 to 30 km radius, and we cannot rule out the possibility that more radioactive material might leak and an evacuation order be issued," he said. "Based on this situation, municipalities need to expedite their living support and voluntary evacuation of residents, as well as prepare for a scenario in which an immediate evacuation order is issued."

Three workers battling to stop a nuclear meltdown in Japan have been rushed to hospital with radiation poisoning after tainted water got into their suits. The men, two in their 20s and one in his 30s, were exposed to double the safe limit of radiation at the Fukushima plant’s number three reactor. A government spokesman said yesterday: “They were standing in irradiated water.” The country’s death toll stands at 9,811, with 17,541 missing.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I would think having 10000 times the amount of normal radiation,would be a death sentence anyways. All those trying to fix this,are at risk. Yes,those photos show that human precaution to radiation is NOT being kept.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Those photos are them transferring the workers to a new hospital. They are not near the power plant.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Does local hospital mean NEAR the reactors? If so, I would be in a suit all day long,if I was ANYWHERE in a 20 mile radius of them.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Another 6.4 quake in Japan.........

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thanks very much for posting the link to that report entitled "Radiation Spread From Japanese Nuclear Power Plant Continues". I began reading it with the expectation that it would basically rehash what other reports have said, but my jaw hit the floor when I saw this:

Japan's trade minister, Banri Kaieda, blames a "safety lapse" for exposing the men to 100,000 times the normal level of radiation found in water used for reactor cooling.

(Bolding mine. Report link posted by OneisOne but for T&C's sake, I'll post it again here .)

All the other reports, quoted Hidehiko Nishiyama of the Japan nuclear and industrial safety agency (if they quoted anyone), and he says that the figure was 10,000 times above normal, not the 100,000-times figure given by Minister Kaieda.

Now, it could be that in the report quoting Kaieda, the 100,000 is just a misprint and it should be 10,000, or else it could be a mistranslation, or it could be that it's accurate and Nishiyama's quoted figure is therefore incorrect. After all, one of those figures has to be wrong!

To get this clarified, I have just emailed VOA news.com and asked them to confirm the figure of 100,000 is correct, and if it is, to please provide any backup (link or document) for it.

As soon as they get back to me (assuming they do!) I'll post the results.

Mike

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Last nite my geiger counter alarm went off, over 0.81 microsieverts.. the peak dropped away very slowly.. Not good. I have never seen background that high.

For comparison, the maximum safe for normal buildings (not reactors or other buildings containing radioactive materials) is 0.30 microsieverts.

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I would think so too, but they must be somewhere near the plant because the cut line on the same photo now on Fox News says the workers had not gone through decontamination treatment yet in this photo.

March 25: Workers, who stepped into radiation-contaminated water during Thursday's operation at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, are shielded with tarps before receiving decontamination treatment at a hospital in Fukushima, northeastern Japan.

source

Emphasis added.
edit on 25-3-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a few fresh reports.

remember a story of 2 workers out of 3 taken to the hospital?

On March 25th, remaining worker was also transferred to Fukushima Medical University hospital. All 3 workers are now being transferred to National Institute of Radiological Sciences in Chiba Prefecture. We will assess radiation dose of 2 worker's leg skin by beta ray. We thoroughly instruct our employees and workers of cooperative companies to recognize APD alarm and evacuate when the alarm rings. We will explain this event, together with appropriate measures to be taken, to the government and to people concerned in order to fully secure the safety in relation to radiation dose management and operations associated with radiation exposure.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Detection of radioactive materials from the seawater around the discharge canal of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station(5th release) - a few reports here - www.tepco.co.jp...

JAIF detailed report (PDF) www.jaif.or.jp...

JAIF eathquake report -

Here is information regarding the status of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power
station from the news reports aired by NHK in this afternoon and evening on
March 25.
 Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency pointed a possibility that radioactive
material from damaged fuel rods would have leaked into the environment
based on the fact that water containing high amount of radioactive material
was found at unit-3 on March 24. (19:18, March 25)
 The self defense force released video image of the nuclear power station
taken from a helicopter. Steam rising from the spent fuel pool of the unit-3
was observed. (18:21, March 25)
 Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency ordered TEPCO take preventive step
after the accident in which three workers were exposed to radiation at unit-3
on March 24. (18:50, March 25)
 It has been pointed out that the reactor will become eroded if seawater is
injected continually. The self defense force and U.S forces made decision to
consolidate a system to feed freshwater from a large ship of U.S forces.
(16:30, March 25)
End

www.jaif.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

previous reports mentioned some hospital at fukushima-2... It's somewhere about 10 km from Fukushima-1 if I'm not mistaken. But maybe they do have another hospital now

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Oh God, are they carrying alive person wrapped in plastic like that?

edit on 25-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I'm thinking it was a misprint. I could not find another source for that number, everything points back to the VOA report. But then again, just last week they were saying that the radiation was just 1,000 times normal! I would not be surprise if next week they do admit to 100,000 times normal!!!

reply to post by sonnny1

I agree with that. The one source I could find for where the workers just stated they were taken for treatment at a nearby hospital. www.dailymail.co.uk... It's the Daily Mail.....

From the twitter feed I posted earlier, Steve Herman.

Here's where the 2 workers are being transferred: National Institute of Radiological Sciences (I don't take this as a good sign).

I do not take that as a good sign either.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Silverlok
I mean this quote from zorgon's post is simply a staggering statement from the "professionals":

... We don't have any word on how to proceed at this time

Pumps were inspected at the No.2 and 4 reactors. Inspectors are said to be facing difficulty at the No.2 reactor due to high levels of radiation.

I've got an idea of how to proceed. Rig up some type of robotic/wheeled camera thingie & have it take a look. You cannot tell me this can't be done no matter how crude. Does nobody in this situation have any ingenuity? For god's sake try something out of the ordinary.

edit on 25-3-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_ID=e8a6b69c-9a06-a2e4-eb1e-2ed705f85bd6

FULL COMMITTE MEMBER MEETING: to provide an update on the recent events at the Tokyo Electric Power Company’s Fukushima Daiichi reactor complex due to the earthquake and tsunami that occurred on March 11, 2011 (Hearing Room SD-366).
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
10:00 AM
Energy Committee Hearing Room - SD-366

The purpose of the meeting will be to provide an update for Committee Members and their staff on the recent events at the Tokyo Electric Power Company’s Fukushima Daiichi reactor complex due to the earthquake and tsunami that occurred on March 11, 2011 (Hearing Room SD-366).

The meeting will be open to the public, and will be webcast live on the Committee's website. An archive video will be available shortly after the meeting is complete.

Witnesses

Panel 1
Dr. Peter Lyons, Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Nuclear Energy, U.S. Department of Energy
Mr. Bill Borchardt, Executive Director for Operations, Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Panel 2
Mr. David Lochbaum, Director, Nuclear Power Project, Union of Concerned Scientists
Mr. Anthony R. Pietrangelo, Senior Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer, Nuclear Energy Institute

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

that's disturbing to say the least.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Another strong quake in Japan today
earthquake.usgs.gov...

when do they stop calling these aftershocks

link   
Just like I did yesterday's I will post today's report from the IRSN in paris (dated 25th of march 8 am, paris time)
(institute of radiation protection and nuclear safety)

I will translate only things that we didn't fully know before or updates

www.irsn.fr...

- n.5 Spent Fuel Pool- Yesterday they were reporting that the pump had stopped working again and it was being repaired. Today they report the pump has been repaired and cooling is working

.they are extremely worried about the situation of reactors n1 n2 and n3 due to the presence of salt and the lack of a permanent system to release pressure. This precarious situation, they claim, will last weeks even months.

- they are assessing the possible impact of the rupture of the reactor tank at n.3

-regarding reactor n.1 (yesterday they were reporting that there were problems in balancing pressure and temperature). Today they claim pressure is stable. There should be no need to release it.

-no particular news on reactor n.2 (possible damage to containment) .Other than the fact that today they expect that power in the control room will be restored

-reactor n.3. Yesterday they had reported that they feared that there could be a breach at the bottom of the reactor tank with curiom (metal and fuel) interacting with cement at the bottom of the contaiment vessel. No major updates today. Like yesterday they state they suspect this reactor to be the source of the majority of unfiltred radioactive leaks

-They state that the 3 injured workers were checking the equipment to open the road to injections of fresh water , as opposed to seawater. However these works have now been interrupted.

www.irsn.fr...

edit on 25-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
I think someone needs to invite these 'scientists' to this thread. You all figured this out days ago!!!

Surely you don't think that they just came to realize the corrosive nature of sea water and the possible implications.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
BTW, can anybody explain what is the point of bringing fresh water for reactors from USA by sea?
Aren't there any closer sources of fresh water?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yes, I also hope it was a misprint, but all the same it's good to have it on the thread as another reference and hats off to you for digging it up.
These days we're getting such a hodge-podge of "information" from various "officials" that it's hard to know who's telling something near the truth -- if any of them are.

By the way, I noticed that you posted "tweets" from Steve Herman. As he's also the journalist who wrote that article with the "100,000" figure, is there any way to contact him direct? Might actually be faster than waiting for a reply from VOA News.com.

Mike

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

OK, I got that photo confused with the other one where they are being transfered. All those white suits and blue tarps.

As for the tarp. Someone stated a few pages back that they could be using that to protect the identity of the workers per Japan's privacy laws.

Originally posted by nghtshd
Surely you don't think that they just came to realize the corrosive nature of sea water and the possible implications.

No I don't. I should have worded that better. I was trying to convey that it was not news that the sea water is corrosive, meaning what ever kind of kind of disinfo they are trying is not working. I'm sure ATS is not the only website having these discussions.

new topics

top topics

<< 324  325  326    328  329  330 >>

join