It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 326.htm
<< 323  324  325    327  328  329 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

FYI That's the elevator which in other pictures stands behind the bridge above the spent fuel pool

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissTiger
Internet NHK back online

Yeah but I get audio only He just talked about the picture with the green thing that he believes is a crane... Dang I want VIDEO BACK Arrggg

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If you have an iPhone you can download the NHK World Live iPhone app. That works now.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Okay thanks... I assume that smoke is coming from the tank then

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Story a couple days ago... 5 and 6 stable

Story today

Efforts are ongoing, too, on the Nos. 4, 5 and 6 reactors -- each of which have their own concerns, though less pronounced because the units were on scheduled outages when the quake struck. None of these three units had nuclear fuel inside their reactors, though efforts are ongoing to control temperatures inside the spent fuel pools.

www.cnn.com...

What will the story be tomorrow?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Picture too zoomed in to see if it's a green crane. Steam coming out of opening at side of reactor 2, believed to be spent fuel pool.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
They have changed the evac zone to 18 miles. Funny how they built up to this. Earlier they offered help to those between 12 and 18 miles, if they wanted to leave. I think this was to avoid a mad rush and panic.

Residents within 18 miles of the hobbled Fukushima plant are urged to leave; the previous limit had been 12 miles.

Japan expands nuclear plant's evacuation zone

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

like in this pic

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Reactor number 2

NHK TV

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissTiger
reply to post by zorgon

Picture too zoomed in to see if it's a green crane. Steam coming out of opening at side of reactor 2, believed to be spent fuel pool.

Oh well I was looking at this picture

(AP Photo/Tokyo Electric Power Co. via Kyodo News)

This is #3

AP Photo/Tokyo Electric Power Co. via Kyodo News) Hide caption In this photo taken Wednesday, March 16, 2011 and released by Tokyo Electric Power Co. via Kyodo News Friday, smoke billows from wrecked unit 3 at Japan's crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Okumamachi, Fukushima Prefecture

Ah got another feed

www.ustream.tv...

Okay got the feed pics... yup looks like the same green thing to me

I hope that most of the silly comments are merely the result of the translator..

edit on 25-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Okay got the feed pics... yup looks like the same green thing to me

It looked like it wasn't enclosed in the building on the footage which I tried to upload but UK broadband too slow.
edit on 25/3/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well I am out for the night... will see if they are still there in the morning

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We have seen many mSi ratings of the readings taken in and around the reactor. For comparison, here is what was measured at Chernobyl

en.wikipedia.org...

Approximate radiation levels at different locations shortly after the explosion:[26]

Location Radiation (roentgens per hour) Sieverts per hour (SI Unit)
Vicinity of the reactor core 30,000 300
Fuel fragments 15,000–20,000 150-200
Debris heap at the place of circulation pumps 10,000 100
Debris near the electrolyzers 5,000–15,000 50-150
Water in the Level +25 feedwater room 5,000 50
Level 0 of the turbine hall 500–15,000 5-150
Area of the affected unit 1,000–1,500 10-15
Water in Room 712 1,000 10
Control room, shortly after explosion 3–5 .03-.05
Gidroelektromontazh depot 30 .3
Nearby concrete mixing unit 10–15 .10-.15

Only 3.5 tons of fuel exploded into the air.

Some of the Japan numbers look way higher.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Dangerous breach suspected at Japanese nuke plant

TOKYO – A suspected breach in the reactor core at one unit of a stricken Fukushima nuclear plant could mean more serious radioactive contamination, Japanese officials said Friday, revealing what may prove a major setback in the mission to bring the leaking plant under control. The uncertain situation halted work Friday at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex, where dozens had been working feverishly to stop the overheated plant from leaking dangerous radiation, officials said. Suspicions of a possible breach were raised when two workers waded into water 10,000 times more radioactive than normal and suffered skin burns when the water splashed over their protective boots, the Nuclear and Industry Safety Agency said. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 25-3-2011 by Calender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The thread moves too fast for me to keep up with, but I got what I think is a new link from armscontrolwonk showing thermals from the 24th.

The link is Japan's Ministry of Defense.

Armscontrolwonk shows part of the translation and thermals, but the original from the MOD is here.

Note: The JSDF has made available thermographs from March 20, March 23 and March 24

Oh, I just noticed the MOD's YouTube Channel, with a video flyover from the 23rd was just posted 4 hours ago.

edit on 3/25/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ok, two rather big claims:

FUKUSHIMA: Reactor Core #3 Is Probably Damaged; Radiation May Increase; Japan Advises Locals To Flee from www.businessinsider.com...

Fukushima Raised To Level 6 On INES Scale: Now Officially More "Serious" Than 3 Mile Island
HOWEVER, this isn't from a news site, so not sure it can be trusted: www.zerohedge.com...

And meanwhile the Yahoo NZ news says "...life is slowly starting to get back to normal." after the Tsunami. Who are they kidding? The photos they have above the tagline don't show anything remotely approaching normal. nz.news.yahoo.com... Off topic, this kind of reminds me of the false prophets Jeremiah talked about: "They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace."

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wow. Translated that web site and trolled around. And what do I find 3/4 of the way down?

Beware of chain letters
東北地方太平洋沖地震に関連して、チェーンメール、電子掲示板、ミニブログなどで、誤った情報が流れていま す。 Related to the northeastern Pacific Ocean earthquake, chain mail, electronic bulletin boards, such as mini-blog, flowing incorrect information. 報道や行政機関のウェブサイト等の信頼できる情報源で真偽を確かめ、これらのチェーンメール等に惑わされな いようにしましょう。 Confirm the truth in a reliable source of news and government websites, etc., etc. Try to not be fooled by these chain letters.
また、チェーンメールを転送することは、いたずらに不安感をあおることにつながります。 Also, you can forward mail to the chain, leads to unnecessarily incite a sense of insecurity. チェーンメールを受け取った時は、すみやかに削除して転送を止めてください。 When you receive a chain email, please delete it immediately stop the transfer.

www.mod.go.jp...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I found a great twitter feed from a Voice of America journalist that is in Japan. He his entire feed is the nuclear crisis & EQ updates. He just posted there was another quake. Steve Herman

A few of his postings from last night:

@W7VOA: Yomiuri: TEPCO detected zirconium 95 at 0.23 Bq 330m south of Fukushima-1 drainage outlet on Wednesday.

@W7VOA: This would indicate nuclear fuel cladding melting from rods in spent fuel pool.

And from earlier in the night.

@W7VOA: Asahi Shimbun, quoting Japan NRC, says #Fukushima event has become a Level 6 on INES scale.

Here is a nuclide analysis of the seawater report he posted from TEPCO:
Zirconium 95 release confirmed by TEPCO

Here is a link to his report on the VOA website:
Radiation Spread From Japanese Nuclear Power Plant Continues

Lots of info in all of that, most of it disturbing.

EDIT:
Regarding this report:
Radiation Spread From Japanese Nuclear Power Plant Continues

t would replace the sea water being used that is causing corrosion because of an accumulation of tons of salt.

Scientists say chloride in the salt could also break open the zirconium alloy layer of protection around the fuel rods which prevents volatile radioactive elements from escaping.

I think someone needs to invite these 'scientists' to this thread. You all figured this out days ago!!!

The article above also a 'corrected' version, he changes the "has become a Level 6 on INES scale." to "considering raising the assessment"

Japanese government agencies say they are considering raising the assessment of the nuclear crisis to a level six or "serious accident" on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale. Currently, the Fukushima accident is rated a level five, which is considered to "have wider consequences."

edit on 25-3-2011 by OneisOne because: correction.....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The water three men were exposed to while working at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant had 10,000 times the amount of radiation typical for that locale, an official with the Japan nuclear and industrial safety agency said Friday.

Water radiation 10,000 times above normal spurs leakage fears

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Something seems wrong with this picture today out of Japan...

Japan investigation into nuclear plant radiation leak

The Japanese government says an investigation is under way to establish the source of the radiation leak at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant, which left two workers in hospital. The plant's operator says dangerously high radiation levels recorded in water at one reactor raise the possibility its core has been damaged.

The two workers, who remain in hospital, had reportedly not been wearing the correct protective boots and had ignored a radiation alarm at the plant.

Something does not seem right in this photo. Wouldn't correct protective boots and clothing anywhere near these plants be standard issue gear to workers during a nuclear crisis? It appears not.

new topics

<< 323  324  325    327  328  329 >>

join