It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 317.htm
<< 314  315  316    318  319  320 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

[Kyodo News] People may be urged to move further from nuclear plant for convenience

Yes, staying alive can be a convenience.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

[Kyodo News] People may be urged to move further from nuclear plant for convenience

Yes, staying alive can be a convenience.

Yeah, I thought that was a really weird way to put it.
But then I thought ... "convenient for who?".

edit on 2011-3-24 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Formatting, spelling, grammar, broken links, etc.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

They saying it's convenient because very few supplies are coming near the fallout zone, regardless of the safety assurances, doctors are leaving hospitals, etc. Of course it's not safe, but they're talking about the inconvenience of having no food or access to bottled water, medical attention, etc.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
There is a great amount of both fuel of the mox type and also spent fuel rods.In the named reactors1234 they are at higher thannormal temps or out of control and getting hotter....The water is obviously not getting to where its needed, and the pumping is more cosmetic than practical.
Plus all the runoff which they pump is turning raadioactive and draining into the environment be it the sea or the land.
Honestly.isnt it time to evacuate a large portion of the people say within 100 km of the plants?
If the meltdown continues to devour the fuel rods and turn them intto spewing radioactivity, how much possible contamination is on site?
My guess is 100s of hiroshimas worth.....correct me if im wrong......
This is NOT small potatoes, and i dont quite understand why there isnt a mad scramble to relocate people more urgently.....
There is NO easy fix!
Reality says none are available.There is going to be long term radiation damage to the surrounding countryside, but why let it get the people too?
This is also what constitutes crimes against humanity ........

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Sounds like there is (overdue?) discussion about expanding the evacuation radius ...

Yup posted that earlier... The news anchors are now anxiously asking how this can be spreading so far now.. (considering they have been saying not to work, no health risks all along)

The Chiba prefecture... no vegetables allowed to be shipped. Farmers are getting upset facing majoe finacial loses over this. One farmer destroyed his crop, just to be safe

Contamination area expanded (drinking water and vegetables) Consumers now worried about eating the food. NHK has contracted an independent testing institute to check the vegetables

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Japanese scientists have found "measurable" concentrations of radioactive iodine-131 and caesium-137 in seawater samples taken 30 km (18.6 miles) from land, the U.N. nuclear watchdog said on Thursday.

Reuters

30km out to sea? That a TON of water to have been able to dilute this stuff! "Detectable" levels? How about some facts, guys?!? Jees, this is getting old.

We're screwed.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
We're screwed.

Well I guess the crisis is over... NHK is talking about baseball

:shk:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

NHK has lost it's signal on my tv....................are you sure that baseball isn't pre recorded??

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

People are starting to wake up. People who didn't believe before, believe now. I think it has something to do with water not bring safe in Tokyo. Water is the most important thing necessary for human survival and on a subconscious level hearing of water shortages creates panic in people.

The government and media cannot cover this up for long.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

TheRedneck,
I heard somewhere that by TEPCO running seawater into (or maybe it's through?) the reactor core, it will be causing salt from the seawater to cake-up on the control and/or fuel rods and other apparatus in the core - possibly making it harder to cool, or maybe making the reaction easier (by conducting heat among the components)? Is either piece of that accurate?

edit on 2011-3-24 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Formatting, spelling, grammar, broken links, etc.

PS: Here's a relevant link ...
Japan reactors' salt buildup might hurt repairs

After cooling pumps failed at the Fukushima nuclear plant in the natural disaster's aftermath, salt has built up from the gallons of seawater pumped in to cool the plant's reactors, which the Times reports "could cause them to heat up more and, in the worst case, cause the uranium to melt, releasing a range of radioactive material."

edit on 2011-3-24 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added a source link.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissTiger
NHK has lost it's signal on my tv....................are you sure that baseball isn't pre recorded??

The baseball was an announcement postponing the start of season

UPDATE that 'bozo' that keeps telling us how safe it is...

is now saying the priority is to get the cooling going and get power to the plants.

he doesn't know how long this will continue

Seems he will soon be suffering from classic footinmouth disease...

Posted priorities

Cesium 137 detected at twice normal level in vegetables grown at a research center in Tokyo... these were not for market but its the first instance of veggies grown in Tokyo showing contamination

www.livestation.com...

edit on 24-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

From what I have read, they will use boron to stop the fusion process, then they cover the material in sand and then cement.

Boron stops the flow of neutrons, and so can stop the fission process. Boron rods are what is used to control the fission process.

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

Apparently Japan has been mixing boron with the sea water, but somehow this hasn't been given any mainstream press. I wonder why?

www.koreatimes.co.kr...

Korea plans to transfer its reserve boron to Japan to help the country stabilize quake-damaged nuclear reactors that have started to release radioactive material, the government said Wednesday.

The Ministry of Knowledge Economy said that Tokyo has requested assistance of the key material vital for stopping fission nuclear reactions after its own stockpile has been largely used up at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Boron is the main material that goes into control rods used to halt or slow down fission reactions at nuclear reactors. Japan has mixed large amounts of boron with seawater and poured them into the reactors as an emergency measure.

From what I have read, they would inject boron to shut down the fission process, and then entomb the reactors, because even when the fission process has been shut down, the plant with remain radioactive for a long time, and continue to pollute the local environment.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I am pretty sure the guy on the right is the NHK science reporter.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by monica86
Picture taken yesterday from control room at n.3

From reuters.com

I am suspicious of that photo... here is why...

When they first showed pictures of the control room on NHK it was these images

Then later they showed these

Here is my problem...

The pics in the series showing the spent fuel pool... the ROOF is intact so those images are from BEFORE the explosion. Now look at the clock on the desk in this set... Shows 11:30ish

Now look at the clock in the first set... SAME TIME and there are NO WORKERS in the picture...

The other thing that got me in general was the mess in the control room, not exactly a clean room environment.

I suspect that they used an old image to show us and claim it is a current image

I can't really say anything about the roof issue other than you are probably right that they are older pictures. Otherwise yes, they are all the same pictures but no one is claiming otherwise. The japanese on the screen says they are from 22 nichi (day). Except for the pictures of the pipes and stuff all the pictures say the same 22 nichi day so you are right, they are all the same and the new agency is even saying that themselves. I am sure something is being covered up but this isn't like the BP disaster where they made REALLY bad edits to photos and passed them off as real.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by zorgon

I am pretty sure the guy on the right is the NHK science reporter.

So, he's their "Bill Nye the Science Guy"...
... aka "Speed Walker"?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

I'm working my way through the thread as quickly as I can, but your post caught my attention and I just had to respond. Forgive if this has been mentioned, if it has consider this strengthening of the argument.

A tsunami washes over an area and KEEPS COMING for a good period of time washing massive amounts of debris along with it. Go watch some of the videos Zorgon has posted and you'll see what I'm talking about. Then it washes BACK the other way just as much. Granted, these plants are right on the coast, so the scouring effect will be lessened somewhat, but a tsunami moving that much water will dislocate an incredible amount of material. Quite effectively.

Please tell me that the ground level pool did not contain any fuel.

Please.

If it did, it's very possible that anything in that pool(s?) got picked up by the tsunami and carried away.

DEFINITELY NOT GOOD

Excuse caps. I'm a bit worked up over this and am appalled by the amount of unawareness I see around me. I'm a restaurant manager and see a lot of people every day and most attention is paid to the TVs that we have tuned to sports rather than the one we have on news.

But then when you've something shiny to waive the bull will follow the distraction for the most part.

Thank you to all who have been providing updates and also to the professional analysis that has been occurring as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

From what I have read, they will use boron to stop the fusion process, then they cover the material in sand and then cement.

Boron stops the flow of neutrons, and so can stop the fission process. Boron rods are what is used to control the fission process.

Doesn't it have to be INJECTED into the core to do that? Spraying it outside the reactor (the Boron) does what?

Apparently Japan has been mixing boron with the sea water, but somehow this hasn't been given any mainstream press. I wonder why?

Wouldn't that boron'water mixture show wash out to sea with the seawater?

The only electricity they have told us so far is they turned the lights on in a control room. Since the fire made them evacuate there has been no further activity. They have still NOT announced that they have sent any workers BACK unless I missed the announcement of a return to work.

So what is happening then with no one minding the store?

From what I have read, they would inject boron to shut down the fission process, and then entomb the reactors, because even when the fission process has been shut down, the plant with remain radioactive for a long time, and continue to pollute the local environment.

They first have to repair those pumps before they can eject ANYTHING into the core... unless they are already cracked open

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Please tell me that the ground level pool did not contain any fuel.
Please.
If it did, it's very possible that anything in that pool(s?) got picked up by the tsunami and carried away.

You know... in all this NO ONE has really mentioned the other building with the spent rods... I have no idea of the status of that one at all

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tonosama
I can't really say anything about the roof issue other than you are probably right that they are older pictures. Otherwise yes, they are all the same pictures but no one is claiming otherwise. The japanese on the screen says they are from 22 nichi (day). Except for the pictures of the pipes and stuff all the pictures say the same 22 nichi day so you are right, they are all the same and the new agency is even saying that themselves. I am sure something is being covered up but this isn't like the BP disaster where they made REALLY bad edits to photos and passed them off as real.

Thanks for that info. I don't think they edited the photos. But that control room ... not one thing fell off the desk after a 9.1 quake and getting slammed with a tsunami. I am thinking they don't have a picture of the control room after the lights came on.

And the BP stuff shows we just can't trust ANY government or mainstream media to give us the real scoop... we are on our own when the SHTF

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You know... in all this NO ONE has really mentioned the other building with the spent rods... I have no idea of the status of that one at all

yup they have mentioned it in passing a few times...and yes it contains spent fuel rods as well

Common Use Spent Fuel Pool

In addition to pools in each of the plant's reactor buildings, there is another facility -- the Common Use Spent Fuel Pool -- where spent fuel is stored after cooling at least 18 months in the reactor buildings. This fuel is much cooler than the assemblies stored in the reactor buildings. Japanese authorities confirmed as of 18 March that fuel assemblies there were fully covered by water, and the temperature was 57 °C as of 20 March, 00:00 UTC. Workers sprayed water over the pool on 21 March for nearly five hours, and the temperature on 23 March was reported to be 57 °C.

Source

top topics

<< 314  315  316    318  319  320 >>

join