It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 316.htm
<< 313  314  315    317  318  319 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by 00nunya00
30km out to sea? That a TON of water to have been able to dilute this stuff! "Detectable" levels? How about some facts, guys?!? Jees, this is getting old.

Well there goes their fishing industry. Iodine will not be an issue in a few months AFTER they stop, but the cesium is 30 years. Anyone have data on what Cesium does to humans? All we hear about is the iodine

It's not nice i can tell you that, and no use shielding urself in lead, it passes through

Link

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Latest-available press releases (most recent first, some possibly already posted previously):

Latest JAIF releases (in English):

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I've thought all along that the tsunami could have washed radioactive water, particles, or materials inland. Remember, they've mentioned a common spent fuel pool that was on ground level & had some windows broken by the wave. If the wave swept over that pool it very easily could have taken contaminated water with it & that water would then sink into the soil. Seems possible to me.

**EDIT TO ADD**
Could also explain why sea water contamination has been found so far out.
edit on 24-3-2011 by ethancoop because: adding stuff

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
As was learned at Chernobyl, the sand then concrete mixture over teh 'out of control' reactor acts like a thermal blanket and exacerbates the overheating of the nuclear materials, it's why they are letting all that toxic crap into the air (it helps dissipate heat) and sea .

Actually at Chernobyl the sand mixed with the molten fuel and vitrified (made glass) thus stopping and further radiation emissions. I posted that earlier but you can see it in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The mixing with the sand (provided by the nuclear lava itself from the outer containment unit) kept the fuel from hitting water. So it was a good thing. But scientists didn't know that happened until the emissions stopped and they went back in to find out why

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ain't deregulation wonderful. You can claim anything you want about anything, as long as you use the right slippery words, and sell it to people, and even if you are selling poison as baby food, as long as you used the right slippery words, the government will not do anything to you.

This ongoing debacle in Japan's handling of this nuclear crisis, and the clear lack of honest journalism by mainstream news media seems to be a waking up moment for the pubic of the world. We knew things were bad, but didn't want to face the reality that things are this bad, when the radioactive contamination of a large area of our Earth is being swept under the table, or at least mainstream media is attempting to sweep it under the table.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Here's a snap-shot from the JAIF release mentioned above.

Link to copy on ATS

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Times 80 kilos, that is 3.52 mg. I wonder.... is this for regular cesium or radioactive cesium? This is quite a troublesome figure, I would expect massive deaths from cesium poisoning alone in japan. It's not hard to pick up a few mg's of the stuff, but my guess, we might have to wait a month before reports of massive death start flooding in.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by 00nunya00
30km out to sea? That a TON of water to have been able to dilute this stuff! "Detectable" levels? How about some facts, guys?!? Jees, this is getting old.

Well there goes their fishing industry. Iodine will not be an issue in a few months AFTER they stop, but the cesium is 30 years. Anyone have data on what Cesium does to humans? All we hear about is the iodine

Re Caesium-137, (also spelled Cesium-137,) it's unique in that it is anthropogenic. It is never found occurring naturally. Some uranium, when it absorbs neutrons and undergo fission, turns into Caesium-137.

(Caesium-137) has a half-life of about 30.17 years, and decays by beta emission to a metastable nuclear isomer of barium-137: barium-137m (137mBa, Ba-137m). (About 95 percent of the nuclear decay leads to this isomer. The other 5.0 percent directly populates the ground state, which is stable.) Ba-137m has a half-life of about 2.55 minutes, and it is responsible for all of the emissions of gamma rays.

It's the decay of the barium isotopes which Caesium-137 turns into, to barium, which creates the danger, as the barium isotopes, decaying into the ground state of stable barium, emit dangerous gamma rays. Radiation is the energy released by one substance breaking down into another substance, but some forms of radiation are worse than others, and gamma radiation is one you particularly want to avoid.

The body cannot detect the difference between Caesium-137 and potassium, so it incorporates Caesium-137 into all parts of the body as if it were potassium.

Health Effects of Caesium-137

Like all radionuclides, exposure to radiation from caesium-137 results in increased risk of cancer. Everyone is exposed to very small amounts of cesium-137 in soil and water as a result of atmospheric fallout. Exposure to waste materials, from contaminated sites, or from nuclear accidents can result in cancer risks much higher than typical environmental exposures.

If exposures are very high, serious burns, and even death, can result. Instances of such exposure are very rare. One example of a high-exposure situation would be the mishandling a strong industrial caesium-137 source. The magnitude of the health risk depends on exposure conditions. These include such factors as strength of the source, length of exposure, distance from the source, and whether there was shielding between you and the source (such as metal plating).

With open fires involving fuel rods inevitably releasing massive quantities of these deadly isotopes into the air, the surrounding area, including Tokyo, is going to be contaminated for many years.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by zorgon

when the radioactive contamination of a large area of our Earth is being swept under the table, or at least mainstream media is attempting to sweep it under the table.

They really are. I have been getting all my news from the sources on this thread, last night I didn't have internet and was trying to find stuff on msn, cnn, fxn, and local news .. hardly ANYTHING ..I was pissed.

The excuses I heard from a few political pundits was that since there was so much confusion regarding levels and units of measurement that it was irresponsible to report anymore .. BS!

the only thing I found was sanjay gupta talking on cnn and he at least was honest .. will this radiation affect us - yes, will it increase health risk - yes, but 1) its already everywhere so theres nothing to be done, and 2) the affect is just added on top of the radiation we already get on a daily basis which is miniscule .. not good, but not going to kill us

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand

Times 80 kilos, that is 3.52 mg. I wonder.... is this for regular cesium or radioactive cesium? This is quite a troublesome figure, I would expect massive deaths from cesium poisoning alone in japan. It's not hard to pick up a few mg's of the stuff, but my guess, we might have to wait a month before reports of massive death start flooding in.

yeah all that stuff about cesium exiting the body quickly doesn't mean anything when the cesium is an isotope ..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

They really are. I have been getting all my news from the sources on this thread, last night I didn't have internet and was trying to find stuff on msn, cnn, fxn, and local news .. hardly ANYTHING ..I was pissed.

Indeed. And what's really frustrating is that it's not as if a lot of information hasn't been published in the mainstream media -- they just bury it under stories that sometimes directly contradict it. I saw someone on another thread smugly insisting that anyone who thinks there's a problem must not be paying attention to know the power is back on! I guess that person is a great example of exactly why they bother to lie so blatantly that all you have to do is turn the page to find the real story. Because it works. And they know most people will just go by what they hear in the background on television for thirty seconds.
edit on 24-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
KAILASSA: about Cesium decay - beta-radiation is more harmful inside the body as all the energy of the emitted electron goes into ionizin (=destroying) the surrounding tissue. Altought gamma is usually (but not always) more powerful it interacts less and travels out of your body, positioning the rest of its energy elsewhere.

But it's a good point that these substances often turn into other radioactive isotopes which keep zapping you further.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If I where you I would be making preparations if you live in California. Never hurts to be prepared with a 72 hour bug out bag and some jerry cans of gas.

When the plate moves that much on one side, it will naturally move on the other side...

Sumatra 2004, Chile 2010, Japan 2011.... all along the same plate. Not fear mongering, but be prepared. The recent fish kill of Redondo Beach was caused by METHANE released from the fault off the coast of Redondo Beach. A huge mud volcano has formed over that ridge.
walrus.wr.usgs.gov...

A day after the fish kill there was a series of quakes about 30 miles away in the Gulf of California... as a matter of fact one just happened today as I went to fetch the data

24-MAR-2011 02:04:42 27.76 -111.78 4.1 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
18-MAR-2011 01:44:12 25.42 -109.71 4.5 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
17-MAR-2011 10:52:42 25.32 -109.70 4.2 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
14-MAR-2011 01:43:49 25.45 -109.74 4.0 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 16:07:34 25.29 -109.75 4.6 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 05:54:25 25.28 -110.08 4.0 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 02:50:11 25.44 -109.76 4.6 24.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 21:58:39 25.31 -109.84 4.5 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 20:16:58 25.42 -109.73 4.3 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 17:54:18 25.51 -109.79 4.7 14.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 17:13:01 25.48 -109.72 5.1 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 14:11:04 25.40 -109.65 5.3 12.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 13:26:02 25.35 -109.93 5.5 17.6 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 12:03:42 25.26 -109.96 4.4 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

www.iris.edu...

So all I can say is BE PREPARED...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just a typical day here in Southern California.
All is good.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Depending on the dose, I guess we'll have to see. But then again, they might also chalk those deaths up to things like contagious illnesses spread through the evacuation shelters, shared resources, etc.

We already have people "dying of hypothermia" a week and a half after the tsunami.....I guess they never got warmed up properly....

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

and the alternative is more of the government's regulation and tyranny? I think we need to put these elites and the government in their place, neither of these parties has the right to run things like this without our blessing and I sure as heck am not going to give it to the nuke industry. In fact, we should all take a stance against centralized power distribution like this, that way if a disaster were to strike the effects would be minimal. There is a recent article on pesn regarding the potential hazards of the rossi and foccardi home fusion reactor. For those of you that think this is a joke, it is actually being built on a large scale by greece in a 180mw power plant. I however do not agree with this power plant, I think we should have these in our homes and not be dependent on a wasteful grid just so some government or business can regulate when we are allowed to turn on our lights and charge us up the ying yang for what is cheap and plentiful and virtually limitless electricity. The time to overthrow the system is when we have this device put on the market -- because we won't be need the system for much else beyond that, with power we win.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
I saw someone on another thread smugly insisting that anyone who thinks there's a problem must not be paying attention to know the power is back on! I guess that person is a great example of exactly why they bother to lie so blatantly that all you have to do is turn the page to find the real story.

yeah that 'power is on" story is such a joke considering at the same time they announced black smoke and ran for the hills. It is VERY likely that the smoke was cause by a short circuit when they switched on the lights

They still keep pushing that story on NHK that they turned on the lights at 11:30... but nothing else about it... no pictures inside since... and the smoke started at 11:30... uh huh everything is fine... water spraying continues...

Ummm wait... WHO is spraying the water if they all evacuated?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Today a group of people at the shelter get internet view of the damage to their homes. This is the first time they have seen that their town is literally wiped off the face of the Earth

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styrge
KAILASSA: about Cesium decay - beta-radiation is more harmful inside the body as all the energy of the emitted electron goes into ionizin (=destroying) the surrounding tissue. Altought gamma is usually (but not always) more powerful it interacts less and travels out of your body, positioning the rest of its energy elsewhere.

But it's a good point that these substances often turn into other radioactive isotopes which keep zapping you further.

Thanks for the info.

It's always good to be informed.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sounds like there is (overdue?) discussion about expanding the evacuation radius ...

[Jiji Press] Japan Mulls Evacuation within 20-30 Kilometers of N-Plant

Tokyo, March 24 (Jiji Press)--The Japanese government is considering urging people living within 20 to 30 kilometers of Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s troubled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant to leave the area, a top government spokesman said Thursday.
Following a series of accidents at the plant, after it was badly damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, people living within 20-30 kilometers have been advised to stay indoors.
However, the government is reviewing whether it can expect people to remain indoors much longer.
Apart from the risks caused by radiation, the government has to consider the social aspect, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said at a press conference.
He added that the government has to avoid sending out the wrong message.
(2011/03/24-20:22)

[Kyodo News] People may be urged to move further from nuclear plant for convenience

edit on 2011-3-24 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Formatting, spelling, grammar, broken links, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 313  314  315    317  318  319 >>

join