It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 30.htm
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Two weeks ago sources from the British Crown asked me to consider the use of nuclear weapons in causing tidal waves for whipping out naval forces, with vague referances to such use in the Indian ocean,and now this happends. Wheather they were talking about an actual nuclear device or wheather they mentioned it to give me an idea of what kind of tidal waves to think about, I don`t think what happend in Japan is unrelated to what was discussed with me. I have no idea why they would do such a think, the act is a terriable atrosity I cant imagine anyone having the heart to cause for any benefit.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

1 Rem = 10,000 µSv.

The readings shown cannot account for the other reports of sickness, nor for the increasing evacuations.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by butcherguy
I saw Bill Nye(the science guy) on CNN earlier tonight. He stated that he had info that boron or borate was being added to the sea water that is being pumped into reactor #1. This is to absorb neutrons and slow the reaction.

yup. its basically a last ditch effort. However, they are using fresh water in #3, which i find curious

Nothing curious about it. That reactor is fueled with a different type of rod, one that uses MOX, which has been discussed here...though I have been researching all day about this, and brought it up hours ago, no one has seemed to notice. What scares me is lack of any decent info regarding the comparisons of MOX to typical fuel rods. Still looking for credible info...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Ummm... I would like to add to my last post about the radiation levels...

I looked up Sieverts (before I saw Tranny's post above... thank you for that!) and realized something. There have been reports of a few workers being diagnosed with severe radiation poisoning and rushed to the hospital, but that dose would have had to have been on the order of 8 or more Sieverts, or 8,000,000 µSv, orders of magnitude above the PDF report I went over. That means either we are being lied to about the amount of radiation in that report, or that report is from areas which are not receiving contamination.

I tend to go with the latter at this point.

But either way, that report has to be at best unrepresentative of the situation. So I withdraw my conclusion that no major neutron emission occurred, and the mention of warnings to stay indoors should it rain would confirm this. Rainwater contamination is definitely from neutron emission.

Sorry guys, redneck do a boo-boo.

TheRedneck

woah woah wait a second here....'rainwater contamination is definitely from neutron emission'? from a physics viewpoint this makes no sense at all. Maybe what you mean is, the radioactive emissions from the plant (undergoing some sort of core melt) are contaminating the rainwater? the contaminated rainwater would contain things like radioiodines, cesium, etc...? these aren't neutron emitters though. Anyway please lets not spread any more rumors.

link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Boron is typically added to water to absorb the neutrons better, so I don't doubt that it is being added. Strangely enough, the salts in sea water also help the absorption, if I am not mistaken.

TheRedneck

link   
Unfortunately, I lot of the recent media reports of "a meltdown likely underway", etc. are all based on very old news. It's not really a change in status in about 8 hours or so. This is not to say that a melt-down is not underway, It';s just that it's no firmer confirmed/known/debunked than prior to this morning.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

I saw Bill Nye(the science guy) on CNN earlier tonight. He stated that he had info that boron or borate was being added to the sea water that is being pumped into reactor #1. This is to absorb neutrons and slow the reaction.

yup. its basically a last ditch effort. However, they are using fresh water in #3, which i find curious

Nothing curious about it. That reactor is fueled with a different type of rod, one that uses MOX, which has been discussed here...though I have been researching all day about this, and brought it up hours ago, no one has seemed to notice. What scares me is lack of any decent info regarding the comparisons of MOX to typical fuel rods. Still looking for credible info...

Sorry I got diverted from another thread by the mods (for some reason) and am just getting caught up in this one.

I still dont quite understand why they would use saltwater on #1, and fresh on #3 unless they were trying to save #3.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
Unfortunately, I lot of the recent media reports of "a meltdown likely underway", etc. are all based on very old news. It's not really a change in status in about 8 hours or so. This is not to say that a melt-down is not underway, It';s just that it's no firmer confirmed/known/debunked than prior to this morning.

Well, with cesium being detected, its clear meltdown has been underway for about 16 hours, in my opinion

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a guy on the japan quake thread posted a link saying asia just got hit with a 8.0

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

Sorry I got diverted from another thread by the mods (for some reason) and am just getting caught up in this one.

I still dont quite understand why they would use saltwater on #1, and fresh on #3 unless they were trying to save #3.

What you said makes sense, why use salt water on unit 1 and fresh on unit 3, exactly that... unit 1 is probably beyond repair at this point, whereas unit 3 can be salvaged.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

All ionizing radiation is “line of sight” (LOS) There has to be an unobstructed path between you, and the emitter.

Ionizing radiation is a point source. It gets weaker as you move away from that point. If you have a bunch of sources around you (in the air), then it becomes a distributed source.

The sensor is outside the reactor buildings. If a worker was inside one of the buildings and come across a pool of contaminated reactor core water, and walked through it, then he would have some problems. But the radiation won’t show up on the sensor outside the building because the radiation from the water is shielded from the sensor by concrete and metal. The source is also relatively small, and isolated, so as long as your are not close to it, you won’t receive much radiation, nether would a sensor detect much.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

A few pages back, a poster quoted some great info on the MOX fuel and its effects and whatnot. Good reading. Hadn't known any of it before, and it adds up so well now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
a guy on the japan quake thread posted a link saying asia just got hit with a 8.0

And provided a link to the original quake on 11th March

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What is happening with the sea water that is being used to cool the reactor? I mean after it has taken on the heat of the core. Are they dumping it back into the ocean? It is obviously being used as primary coolant if they are adding boron. If they are dumping it onto the ocean, that is absolutely horrible.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by porky1981

Cesium, specifically Cs-135, is not extremely radioactive in itself; the concern over the appearance of Cs-135 is that it indicates by its presence that something is amiss in the reaction. Typically Xe-135 is converted to Xe-136 before Cs-135 forms. Thus, the presence of Cs-135 means the control rods are not working correctly.

The real contamination issue is with energetic neutron and gamma emission. Gamma emission is not held in stasis by water as energetic neutrons are. Thus, if there is concern over rainwater contamination, it would be concern that the rainwater is contaminated from neutron emissions from the uranium decay process.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

That's possible, but if there were no crack in the primary containment wall, then there wouldn't be any way for gamma radiation to escape to an area where it could be encountered. I can promise you that no workers are inside the primary containment wall, lead suits or otherwise, and it is doubtful that any would be inside the secondary containment wall.

We're still looking at a containment breach.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
"0352: The news coming from Japan remains bleak. Government spokesman Yukio Edano: "We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred - it is inside the reactor, we can't see. However, we are acting, assuming that a meltdown has occurred and with reactor number 3 we are also assuming the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

"0406: More on the specific dangers of Fukushima 1 plant's reactor 3: The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says the reactor is fuelled with uranium and plutonium, meaning the consequences of a meltdown are much more severe than at the other uranium-fuelled reactors."

"0411: Shaun Bernie, from lobby group Greenpeace, tells the BBC that using plutonium as fuel increases the risk that something could go wrong because plutonium-fuelled plants operate at a higher temperature. He also says plutonium is far more dangerous if it's released into the environment."

"0349: CNN presenter Piers Morgan tweets: "Nuclear expert Bill Nye just said situation at Japan plants sounds 'way more serious' than authorities saying. Deeply worrying."

"0421: If you've just joined us, here are a few pointers about the nuclear crisis now unfolding as a result of Friday's earthquake. The problem centres on one of two nuclear power plants in Fukushima prefecture, which stand 11.5km (7.1 miles) apart. The plant, Fukushima 1, has six reactors. On Saturday afternoon local time, a hydrogen explosion reportedly hit the building housing the No 1 reactor but the container of the reactor remained intact. Early today local time, it was reported that the emergency cooling system of Reactor 3 had failed. The reactor's fuel rods were reportedly exposed and a partial meltdown was believed to be under way."

www.bbc.co.uk...

Scroll down the left side of the page to see this info on the link. BBC news to seems to have a lot more on the ball at the moment.
THIS IS VERY, VERY, VERY BAD.

edit on 12-3-2011 by odd1out because: added quotes

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Stop spreading fals rumors.

I posted the event discription update on the original quake....

Learn to read the links provided

This is the link.hisz.rsoe.hu...
edit on 12-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Plutonium vs uranium. Scroll down to Proliferation and safety problems of MOX use .

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Stop spreading fals rumors.

I posted the event discription update on the original quake....

Learn to read the links provided

This is the link.hisz.rsoe.hu...
edit on 12-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

i think it is you who needs to stop you provided that link with vague explanation and the event decription said 8.0 which i did not think was the one in japan because it was an 8.9 then 9.1

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join