Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 296
<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The situation is going from bad to worse.

I think the government are clutching at straws trying to contain this. It's irritating know we are being lied to. I just pray for the sake of the people in Japan that the government wise up and start trying to protect them instead of lying to them.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
On CNN they just showed a video of the smoke from above the 3rd rector building from a chopper and the smoke was coming from a narrow plume from directly in the center of the top of the building. I assume that is where the reactor is. So that is unsettling.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

That was an amazing interview. Everyone should watch it. It's a shame that the people who need to see it most won't see it.

So I am trying to figure out why any organization or "cabal" would want to sink Japan? One more directed 9.0 quake and they may succeed. This is Lex Luthor evil we are talking about here...but we have no superheroes to save us.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Pilot

That was an amazing interview. Everyone should watch it. It's a shame that the people who need to see it most won't see it.

So I am trying to figure out why any organization or "cabal" would want to sink Japan? One more directed 9.0 quake and they may succeed. This is Lex Luthor evil we are talking about here...but we have no superheroes to save us.

I doubt its manmade...but even in the slim Chance it was,the Destruction of Japan "could" mean an Economic Collapse...Worldwide. Maybe good for the US,since they are on the brink themselves

Back to Topic please...

You know whats sad about this Disaster? They could have evacuated Tokyo,maybe even a part of Japan,by now...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
A recent North Korean news, interesting to compare.

Damage by Radioactivity, Quake and Tsunami Increases in Japan

Pyongyang, March 22 (KCNA)

www.kcna.co.jp/item/2011/201103/news22/20110322-37ee.html

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I just read this article from The Wall Street Journal regarding ostracism and anger that foreign ex-pats returning to their Tokyo offices may face. It's this type of enslavement to job and job culture that makes my blood boil:

Expatriates Tiptoe Back To The Office (wsj.com)

To me, considering the current state of affairs in Japan, these people are stupid for even going back to Tokyo! If anyone in that office gave me lip, I'd tell then to go kiss the asses of their lying government officials!

This stupid Japanese pride is really starting to annoy me. I'm starting to lose sympathy for them because of it.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Pilot

If it's a 'cabal' using pink robots in their diabolical scheme then worry not my friend, Yoshimi will save the day.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
AFP - France urges European controls on all Japanese produce
22/03/2011

www.expatica.com/fr/news/local_news/france-urges-european-controls-on-all-japanese-produce_137553.html

France has urged the European Commission to impose "systematic controls" on imports of fresh produce from Japan into the EU, amid fears of nuclear contamination, the agriculture ministry said Tuesday.

On Monday and Tuesday "France has called on the European Commission to introduce a harmonised European control scheme and therefore put in place systematic controls for all fresh produce reaching Europe's borders," from Japan," a ministry official said.

(...)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Is this thread dying, or did i just hit a slow moment?

Anyway, here are the latest situation updates from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 56
On 23.03.2011 at 04:25 GMT+2

Workers at Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant temporarily halted work on Wednesday at the complex's reactor No.2 because of high radiation levels, the nation's nuclear safety watchdog said. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the workers had withdrawn after radiation monitoring showed levels of 500 millisieverts per hour, which is into the danger zone. There are hundreds of workers at the plant trying to avert nuclear disaster and, at times, they have had to withdraw from parts of the complex as radiation levels spike.

Situation Update No. 55
On 23.03.2011 at 04:13 GMT+2

The temperature within part of Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear reactor has risen above design limits, but there is no immediate danger, the nation's nuclear safety watchdog said on Wednesday. The agency said the temperature had climbed to near 400 degrees Celsius within a pressure container at reactor No.1 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, compared with a design limit of 302 degrees.

Situation Update No. 54
On 23.03.2011 at 04:08 GMT+2

Two workers at Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant were injured on Wednesday while working to restore power to its No. 1 reactor, Kyodo news agency said. It gave no further details. Hundreds of Tokyo Electric Power Co workers are trying to restore power to the utility's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, but have been hindered by debris, water damage and spiking levels of radiation.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Picture taken yesterday from control room at n.3

From reuters.com

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have no idea what this is but it doesn't sound good.

Neutron beam observed 13 times at crippled Fukushima nuke plant

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday it has observed a neutron beam, a kind of radioactive ray, 13 times on the premises of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after it was crippled by the massive March 11 quake-tsunami disaster.

Even worse...

The utility firm said it will measure uranium and plutonium, which could emit a neutron beam, as well.

In the 1999 criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant run by JCO Co. in Tokaimura, Ibaraki Prefecture, uranium broke apart continually in nuclear fission, causing a massive amount of neutron beams.

...measured neutron beam may be evidence that uranium and plutonium leaked from the plant's nuclear reactors and spent nuclear fuels have discharged a small amount of neutron beams through nuclear fission

Source

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I just saw this news come across Twitter...

Source

Austrian authorities release detailed data on Japan radiation

Austrian scientists have released what appears to be the first clear, independent data concerning radiation levels in the immediate aftermath of the Fukushima radiation leak.

By releasing data from two monitoring stations of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) from Japan and California, researchers from the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics in Vienna have calculated backwards to estimate the true levels of radiation from Fukushima.

"The releases of the volatile radionucleotides, like iodine and cesium, are very likely in the same order of magnitude as happened during the Chernobyl accident," he told Deutsche Welle, adding that CTBTO member states, like Austria, only received data 72 hours after it was gathered via e-mail and private websites.

Let's hope there was some flaw to their backwards calculations. (which I kinda doubt)

"likely in the same order of magnitude as happened during the Chernobyl accident"....

Am I reading that correctly? This is as bad as Chernobyl? Please someone tell me I'm reading it wrong.

---edit to add----

OK, there was also this, so some hope maybe??

However, other scientists are not ready to put the Fukushima fallout into Chernobyl territory just yet.

"My speculation is that it's going to be significantly less than Chernobyl fallout, but we're not going to know that until we get more data," said Jim Smith, an environmental physicist at the University of Portsmouth in the United Kingdom, in an interview with Deutsche Welle. "We're not seeing data from the immediate 20 kilometer radius of the plant."

Thoughts?
edit on 23-3-2011 by OneisOne because: add additional quote.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
edit on 23-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

This stupid Japanese pride is really starting to annoy me. I'm starting to lose sympathy for them because of it.

I'm glad someone feels this way. The hubris of "yamato damashii" causes more problems than not. It's really not that great at all, and I couldn't help but scoff while watching some of the initial interviews conducted by mass media at the inception of the crisis.

That was a definitely a good article, though. I was wondering about whether or not the people who left would be ostracized upon their return--the reason being that I of course mailed people who I knew in Tokyo to make sure they were okay. One of the persons mailed back to me and essentially said, "I'm fine. I'm staying in Tokyo, unlike the rest of my cowardly coworkers." He is American, but looks like he's been indoctrinated pretty well into the "For the Company" mindset.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Noscible because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Good morning everyone. I have stepped back from this thread for a few days to watch how this unfolds.

Things are still very bad despite the authorities making a big deal that they restored power to the control room. Too bad everything else is still too damaged to work. Its like making a big deal that you got your dashboard light to work in your car but the engine still doesnt work. Pretty useless.

The core temp of reactor #1 is over 750deg f. many believe that it is just about in full meltdown. The fuel rods are basically a pile of radioactive goo. #2 is not far behind. The workers were evacuated today again due to high radiation.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Black Smoke

That looks really bad... Worst I've seen yet, I hope that isn't the graphite in the containment base burning, if it is then the core has melted to the bottom.

They did hook up power to this unit, and were conducting tests, so this could have something to do with that, maybe electrical fire, or some other failure.

No way to know, can't trust anything from TEPCO.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Reuters: FLASH: Japan nuclear agency: Radiation level at Fukushima reactor No.2 at highest level recorded so far

But eh, all is going well! And it's all improving!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
www.tepco.co.jp...

At 4:20 pm on March 23rd, light gray smoke was observed belching from Unit 3 building. The situation was reported to the fire department at 4:25 pm on March 23rd. The parameters of the reactor, the reactor containment vessel of Unit 3, and monitored figures around the site's immediate surroundings remained stable without significant change. To be safe, workers in the main control room of Unit 3 and around Unit 3 evacuated to a safe location.

I love TEPCO, nothing bad happened, but they evacuated everybody, just in case

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just read up on the Tokaimura Criticality Accident

Here

The events of 30 September placed Japan’s entire nuclear enterprise under scrutiny. Critics of the IAEA assessment contend that the accident also resulted from lax government oversight of the nuclear industry. Critics were particularly concerned by what they perceived as a slow and inadequate initial repsonse to the accident, a poor emergency plan, and poor enforcement of occupational health and safety procedures on the part of the government.

On paper, the government-appointed Nuclear Safety Commission acts as the industry watchdog. But some question its independence--they say it is dominated by pro-nuclear scientists with official ties. The commission even works out of the offices of the Science and Technology Agency, the bureaucracy that regulates the industry. These analysts called for an independent nuclear regulatory safety committee in Japan.

When will they ever learn?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

They hire Homer!

top topics

<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join