It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 295.htm
<< 292  293  294    296  297  298 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
Thanks.
Problems seem to come in pairs.
But maybe that's just because they managed to get thermomètres working yesterday

yeah the biggest problem is you take a lunch break and the news has changed. Almost impossible to keep up. They just repeated the Tokyo water contamination. It was 210 then dropped to 190. mayor is saying no immediate risk (they really like that word) and is asking people to remain calm and use the water 'properly' and not give it to babies or use it in powdered make

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Associated Press via Fox local affiliate, reports Iodine-131 detected in Arizona state.

0.1 millirem detected.

using 1 mSv = 100 mrem, it equals 0.001 millisievert.

Trace of Japan nuke plant radiation in Arizona

Associated Press

Posted on March 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM

www.fox11az.com/news/local/118474119.html

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
BREAKING

black smoke from #3

They don't know where its from

About 4:20 PM

www.livestation.com...

Repeating over and over workers evacuated

edit on 23-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well crap. #3 MOX fuel. Great. Yeah of course they don't know where it is coming from.
(Watching on the NHK link)
"The smoke could possibly contain radioactive materials." & they just stated that the smoke went from grey to white to 'invisible' and now it is black. Well, something is certainly going on.
edit on 23-3-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: added

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Oh noes...

NEWS ADVISORY: Black smoke seen rising from Fukushima Daiichi's No. 3 reactor, workers evacuate - Kyodo

TEPCO says white smoke coming from No. 3 reactor at stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Here we go again...

It seems it was already posted... sorry.

TEPCO: Reactor 3 area evacuated, reason for the black smoke there not clear.

Again, TEPCO doesn't know what the hell is going on.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
They are saying that "it's not favorable" and operators have left the site. The cause is not known. They did say the smoke would contain radioactivity

This is just escalating...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

TEPCO executive vice president, Sakae Muto, said the core of reactor No.1 was now a worry with its temperature at 380-390 Celsius (715-735 Fahrenheit). “We need to strive to bring that down a bit,” Muto told a news conference, adding that the reactor was built to run at a temperature of 302 C (575 F)

Well ain't that a b**** for the Japanese government. Not a day ago they were saying everything was fine and the temperature was only in the 80-90C range and now it's 4 times that.

Gee, now TEPCO is becoming more honest than the Japanese government? Is that a change of policy or a mistake? I hope they realized that BSing people wasn't working and they will stop...

Japan plant released half as many radioactive isotopes as Chernobyl

Over a four-day period last week, Japan's crippled reactors released about half as much radioactive Cesium-137 as Chernobyl had nearly 25 years ago, scientists say.

Data gathered by a UN agency's global network of detectors — including four in Canada — indicate the Fukushima power plant emitted "about 50 per cent" of the Cesium-137 as Chernobyl and 20 per cent of that disaster's total emissions of Iodine-131, says an Austrian team at the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics in Vienna.

Over four days... and it's been what... 12 days now? I bet as much Cesium 137 has been released, if not more. Same thing with Iodine 131... not to mention, Chernobyl lasted for MONTHS... and this ain't over by a long shot... so you can bet it'll be worse than Chernobyl.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Oh GREAT!!!

Now announcing that they can't measure the radioactive material in the atmosphere so they are going to estimate it based on a simulation

WTF???

www.livestation.com...

Okay 100 millesieverts per day even outside the 30 km range...

Yukio Edano now admitting the radioactive material is spreading and rain is making it worse

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Radiation Would Have Spurred U.S. Evacuation .

Sure...
They sure showed how ``forthcoming`` and ``following safety procedures`` they were when they did nothing for days as TMI was on the verge of going full meltdown, not to mention that lots of radioactivity was released in the atmosphere, from the people who were there back then, they said that air tasted metallic! When air taste metallic, that means there's heavy metals from the nuclear power plants in the air and you probably ate/breath radioactive material.

So please, US government, you lie about everything, so this is easy to say ``we would have evacuated everyone if that happened in the US`` when it's not you, when it comes to do it for real... well I call BS.

You didn't evacuate anyone in NY when the radioactive/cancerous dust from the WTC was all over the city... and you said the air was safe... and what happened? TENS OF THOUSANDS ARE DEAD AND DYING because of your lies!

SO GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK THAT YOU CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE, YOU DON'T.

REUTERSFLASH Japan nuclear agency: Smoke at Fukushima no.3 unit is from building that houses reactor

At least it's not the spent fuel pools...

U.S. halts Japan food imports

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Okay 100 millesieverts per day even outside the 30 km range...

Yukio Edano now admitting the radioactive material is spreading and rain is making it worse

Okay, so I did totally hear him say even outside the range, but I think I also heard him say "could grow EVEN HIGHER even outside the range".

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Asked if the situation at the problem reactors was getting worse, Mr Muto said: "We need more time. It's too early to say that they are sufficiently stable."

Radiation 1,600 times higher than normal levels was detected 20km from the power station, the limit of the evacuation area. While radiation at that level is not considered high for a single burst, it could harm health if sustained.

Miniscule amounts of radioactive particles believed to have come from Fukushima have been detected as far away as Iceland. AGENCIES

www.todayonline.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Maybe there's some problem with electricity? They said that light in control room of #3 was turned on (were they sitting in the dark all that time?)

-At approximately 10:45 pm on March 22nd, the light in the main control room was turned on.

-Until March 22nd, Units 1 through 6 were started to be energized from the external power source.

Also, could anybody explain this -

-At approximately 10:00 am on March 23rd, we started spraying water to Unit 4 using the concrete pumping vehicle.

is there a mistake, or they really mounted concrete pump just to spray water?

And look here -

-At approximately 10 pm on March 22nd, 1 worker who had been working on setting up a temporary power panel in the common pool was injured and transported to Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station where the industrial doctor is.
-At approximately 1 am on March 23rd, 1 worker who had been working on setting up a temporary power panel in the common pool was injured and transported to Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station where the industrial doctor is.

all info from TEPCO - www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
Okay, so I did totally hear him say even outside the range, but I think I also heard him say "could grow EVEN HIGHER even outside the range".

yeah and the news announcer was scared after that last press release... you could see it in his face, he was stuttering and running his finger along his read notes...

The minister said it would go on for some time... said not to buy more bottled water than you need, but stay calm and no immediate danger. He said they are doing what they can to minimize radiation.... yet they just evacuated all the workers

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Stopping monitoring radiation and relaying on simulations IS PURE INSANITY!! I mean, if you didn't think the Japanese government was lying up to now, what do you think now? I mean COME ON!!!

Not even the Soviets did that! They did lie about the real amounts of radiation, but they still kept taking readings!

This is just CRIMINAL.

Tokyo, Yokohama firefighters have stopped spraying water on reactor 3 at the Fukushima N-plant because of the gray smoke sighted minutes ago

So... the reactor they were spraying started smoking.... real good job there.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
is there a mistake, or they really mounted concrete pump just to spray water?

yeah they can use a concrete pump for water... but the info is so muddled you can't trust anything. One report says they are doing something and got it under control, the next report has them evacuating and black smoke is spewing out.

Nice catch on that worker

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Black Smoke

Current winds blowing over Fukushima then curving back over Tokyo

Also since the area that the Quake hit also sank about a meter, some of the land is now below sea level. The weather anchor know gives high tide warnings

Iodine 137 in water in these areas...

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgonyeah they can use a concrete pump for water... but the info is so muddled you can't trust anything.

I hope that they will start using something more effective than water soon.
I've read about Chernobyl not so long ago - they started using sand, concrete, even lead nearly immidiately. Of course there were mistakes too, but kept trying. And Japaneese are just spraying water for a week already

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
i dont trust a single thing they are saying!
12 days of it supposidly being under control and theres still smoke rising.
for instance if i had a microwave or anything else electrical for that matter and it exploded badly........the last thing i would do is put a new plug on it and try plugging it back in.
something is seriously wrong here and the government are lying and letting people die.
we will never find out how many actually died from radiation because they will just write them up as deaths from the tsunami.
just my 2p

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Strong quakes in Tohoku region at 6:55pm. 5+ on Japanese scale. Magnitude 4.7, depth 10kms under Fukushima. No tsunami alert - NHK

But it was still 50km from the plant.

6:55pm quake was 5+ in Iwaki, which is about 50kms from Fukushima 1 plant.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Both France and Russia have stated that they believe this to be a level 6 incident...I have been trying to find details of a similar incident and came across this one which I had never heard of before..

en.wikipedia.org...

"In September 1957 the cooling system in one of the tanks containing about 70–80 tons of liquid radioactive waste failed and was not repaired. The temperature in it started to rise, resulting in evaporation and a chemical explosion of the dried waste, consisting mainly of ammonium nitrate and acetates (see ammonium nitrate bomb). The explosion, estimated to have a force of about 70–100 tons of TNT threw the concrete lid, weighing 160 tons, into the air"

"The fallout of the cloud resulted in a long-term contamination of an area of more than 800 square kilometers, primarily with caesium-137 and strontium-90"

"the CIA knew of the 1957 Mayak accident all along, but kept it secret to prevent adverse consequences for the fledgling American nuclear industry"

Interesting reading... I'm not scientific enough to know how this event compares to the Fukushima incident.. the only reason there weren't catastrophic fatalities in this incident was the sparse population....

top topics

<< 292  293  294    296  297  298 >>

join