It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 292.htm
<< 289  290  291    293  294  295 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Germany has a large, somewhat unassimilated and somewhat discontent Turkish community, some of whom may fear similar treatment in Germany and some of whom may encourage such fears.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Food shortages in the area just outside the evacuation area. Drivers don't want to deliver to the city because of radiation fears.

So food stores are empty, people can't go back to work so money will run short to even have money to shop. manufacturers can't keep production going because of fuel shortage and power outages as well as getting supplies.

In short this one incidence will still have long lasting consequences

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

Don't worry that was a satire from a comedy website called the onion. They make up stuff all the time to show the absurdity of things.

Werthog - this is why you shouldn't put stuff like that in a thread where people are scared and paranoid.

Ya, my bad. Sorry if I offended anyone.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Close and small limit breaches, but posting to spread information... comes from Jiji, a 'good source'.

(Update) Japan Bans Infants' Tap Water Intake in Fukushima Municipalities

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011032201166

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Breaking news, and sounds extremely bad. These levels give a lethal dose in just four hours. I wonder exactly where these levels were measured - was this outside the reactor building, at the gates to the plant, or somewhere within the building? It sounds like the levels just spiked...

NEWS ADVISORY: No. 2 reactor power repair work halted, 500 millisievert per hr radiation found

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Kyodo News is also reporting that the temperature is rising in reactor 1. I wonder if the shaking from the recent aftershocks knocked out a bunch of fuel pellets from already damaged/melted fuel rods, and they collected together to go into a critical reaction

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive
Kyodo News is also reporting that the temperature is rising in reactor 1.

Ohh ,number 1 ? i'm missing something or number 1 was the most stable from all four (1,2,3,4) critical reactors ?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive

NEWS ADVISORY: No. 2 reactor power repair work halted, 500 millisievert per hr radiation found

english.kyodonews.jp...

Inside or out?

Someone please tell me they have at least some of the pumps running by now?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I'm worried that the shaking from the recent aftershocks upset the already damaged fuel rods, and some have collapsed together and gone critical, or dropped fuel pellets which are going critical at the bottom of the reactor core.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Edited - Old news, old reply.
edit on 22-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAlive

Those last 3 quakes today surprised me that they didn't create a tsunami, glad they didn't but strong
enough. All the aftershocks could have further weakened the reactors in who knows what kind
of condition they are in now. Pretty scary to think about - things are so very bad right now and
I have to look close and far to find reports coming out of Japan - also confusing when we do get
information.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
9:51 PM EDT - Japan nuclear regulation official says temperature in Fukushima’s No.1 reactor above designed limit but no immediate danger.

10:37 PM EDT - Workers at Japan nuclear plant unable to continue work at reactor no.2 due to high radiation levels, says Nuclear safety agency.

-Reuters.com
edit on 3/22/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Latest TEPCO press-release (dated/timed about 2 hours ago, not available in English yet) ...

News and conditions in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Plant (currently 10:00 am on 23 March)

Regarding each reactor (not necessarily new information):
  • Reactor #1:

- Around 2:30 this morning and began injecting water into the reactor water supply system.
    - We conduct water injection into the reactor continuously.

• Reactor #2:

• Reactor #3:

- Around 10:45 pm on March 22, a central control room with the lights lit.

• Reactor #4:[nothing new/decipherable from Engrish]
  • Reactor #5:

2:30 pm - March 20, the reactor was stopped cold now.

• Reactor #6:

1:27 - 7:00 pm March 20, the reactor was stopped cold now.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Latest JAIF press-release (in English) ...

This is the color-coded spreadsheet-like summary.

Reactor Status and Major Events Update 26 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 10:00 March 23

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow

The power company is also ready to test a feedwater pump at the No. 4 reactor to cool down the reactor core.

I thought #4 didn't have any fuel in the reactor?

THAT has been the biggest problem... they are constantly confusing the details. Just a while ago they were saying on NHK that the fire trucks were sprayin water to cool the CORE as well as the pools... How the hell are they using the fire trucks to cool the CORE? Just the casing?

Breaking right now ORDER just put out to NOT consume 11 vegetables cabbages, cauliflower,spinach, broccoli, radishes 165 times above normal of cesium 137 radishes Government saying they will reimburse farmers

Japanese consumers are now concerned and wanting accurate information

www.livestation.com...
edit on 22-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Fukushima Engineer Says He Covered Up Flaw at Shut Reactor #4

Mitsuhiko Tanaka says he helped conceal a manufacturing defect in the $250 million steel vessel installed at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi No. 4 reactor while working for a unit of Hitachi Ltd. (6501) in 1974. The reactor, which Tanaka has called a “time bomb,” was shut for maintenance when the March 11 earthquake triggered a 7-meter (23-foot) tsunami that disabled cooling systems at the plant, leading to explosions and radiation leaks.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The power company is also ready to test a feedwater pump at the No. 4 reactor to cool down the reactor core. I thought #4 didn't have any fuel in the reactor?

yeah that is something I have been confused about...seems like those rods were reported to have been taken out before the quake for maint.....but yet..the core is needing cooled????

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Its all falling apart now... right now the news anchors are asking WTF do you mean by 'no immediate concern. The grocers are pulling ALL vegetables from the area so they don't ruin their own reputations. Shipments have been halted, people being asked NOT to eat those that they were told were safe just before. Now people are really concerned

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
New photo of reactor building #4

*edit. I think this is a still from video shown on NHK.

edit on 22-3-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Yeah, heard about that one on the news a few days back. It might be posted in this thread somewhere too.
Since, they're going to have to scrap this plant anyway, sounds like they dodged a potential nuclear bullet.
The sad part is, now that the plant's going to be scrapped; there probably will never be any further investigation.
But, then again, maybe that was never going to happen anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 289  290  291    293  294  295 >>

join