It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 290.htm
<< 287  288  289    291  292  293 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hi

Not sure if this latest update has been posted www.iaea.org...

Interesting they are sending another team to monitor the radiation levels in the Tokyo area?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
Latest TEPCO release (from 11 PM yesterday - Tokyo time, about 3 hours ago, not available in English yet) ...
News and conditions in plants Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (now 11:00 PM March 22):

Latest English JAIF release (#25, from 11 PM yesterday - Tokyo time) ...
Reactor Status and Major Events Update 25 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 21:00 March 22
... that's the one with the color-coded spreadsheet.
Latest English NISA release (#43, from 6:00 PM yesterday - Tokyo time) ...
Seismic Damage Information (the 43th Release)(As of 18:00 March 22nd, 2011)

Here's the English version of that last TEPCO press-release ...

Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 11:00 PM Mar 22nd) [English]

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
To all those who are concerned about the media not getting information out:

The media's business isn't about informing us. It's about entertaining us. There is a big difference. They make money based on how well they deliver this entertainment. They do try to entertain us with "News", but this news is crafted to entertain and engage us.

If we were to see the "real news" of the world you'd be mostly bored, but sometimes, sometimes alot of us would get a bit fiesty and rebellious, so obviously, very few "real news" agencies are allowed to exist and those that do don't get much market share because all the other "fake news" channels are entertaining everyone so well.

We're all guilty of preferring the blockbuster to the low-budget indy film, it's the same thing on a massive scale, and we're to blame for creating the "market forces" that make these folks feed us what we prefer to hear. I do exempt a lot of ATS folks since most of you all are at least making an effort to find alternate sources of news aside from your 'fake news'.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Good points. However, it's incredibly ironic when I feel like I get better "news" analysis from The Daily Show, then from CNN, MSNBC, or FoxNews. It's not just more entertaining, they stab directly at the issues - instead of either side-stepping them or exaggerating them in one direction or the other.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, etc.

PS: Don't want to take this thread off-topic. There's another thread kind of about this type of thing here.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added post-script.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A few pieces of info that I got today

This article claims that

Efforts to restore electrical power and cool the overheating reactors at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant suffer a setback after water pumps from reactor No.2 were found to be damaged beyond repair.

www.presstv.ir...
Not sure how realiable this source is

Also please note this comment regarding the n.1 reactor:

TEPCO executive vice president, Sakae Muto, said the core of reactor No.1 was now a worry with its temperature at 380-390 Celsius (715-735 Fahrenheit). “We need to strive to bring that down a bit,” Muto told a news conference, adding that the reactor was built to run at a temperature of 302 C (575 F). ca.reuters.com...

I also asked an opinion on the thermal pictures on pro-nuke blog (www.bravenewclimate.com) and I was given reassuring info on all reactors but for n1. For this one, someone expressed the following doubt

“Image of reactor 1 is somewhat disconcerting, because the peak heat areas appear to be above the reactor pressure vessel proper and not the SFP. This could indicate leaks around the top shields or their circumferencial support plugs, but is inconclusive”

edit on 22-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Update from NHK on power hook-up at some of the reactors ...

Thermometers working again at 3 reactors

Tokyo Electric Power Company says thermometers are working again at 3 of the reactors at the quake-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The March 11th earthquake and tsunami cut off power and the reactors' measurement equipment stopped working.

TEPCO tried to restore the instruments' functions with make-shift power sources, including batteries. It says the thermometer at the Number 3 reactor started working again last Saturday morning.

At that time, the temperature of the reactor's external surface was 366 degrees Celsius, much higher than normal. The company increased the amount of sea water it was using to cool down the reactor.

The thermometers for the Number 1 and Number 2 reactors were restored on Sunday.

The power company says it will pour more water onto the Number 1 reactor, as its temperature was 394 degrees on 3:30 PM on Tuesday.

TEPCO says the functioning thermometers, along with devices to measure pressure and water levels, will provide better information about the condition of the reactors.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 06:12 +0900 (JST)

So, the "temperature of the reactor's external surface":
#3 was at 366-Degree's C,
#1 was at 394-Degree's C,
No word on #2's temperature yet.

Note: Emphasis in quoted material added by poster (i.e. me)

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
If we were to see the "real news" of the world you'd be mostly bored, but sometimes, sometimes alot of us would get a bit fiesty and rebellious, so obviously, very few "real news" agencies are allowed to exist and those that do don't get much market share because all the other "fake news" channels are entertaining everyone so well

Why would anyone get bored with watching real news and getting the truth, doesn't make sense, back in the day I watched the news to get the news, no more, ATS and the internet are my news souces now. If people get bored they can always watch the mineless reality shows, American Idol and or Dancing With The Stars, good way to keep your head buried firmly in the sand. I choose to keep my TV off, that is what that off/on botton is for.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What information do people want or feel should have been reported?
Factual ? Speculation ?I've seen plenty of speculative and a little factual info but it seems that if the information released by the media doesn't correlate to someones expectations then it's not good enough.

Just to clarify ....... No ones died as far as we know as a direct result of radiation poisoning right? Mmmmmmm thought half of cali was meant to have gone down with it by now ?!?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Interesting because earlier this morning the temperature at n.1 was 380 degrees and by the time your report came out it's already 394 degrees...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Not sure how realiable this source is

Well presstv is quite reliable... when no politics are involved. And I also saw that report on other websites.

Japan nuclear crisis: Why are the spent-fuel pools so hard to control?

Though electric lines have now been hooked up to all six reactor units, the pumps that circulate cooling water inside reactor buildings are not yet working. Some have been damaged and will need to be replaced.

It is also possible that one or more of the pools is leaking. The sides of the pools have doors, which open to allow cranes to move fuel-rod assemblies from the reactor to the pool. These doors have inflatable seals that guard against leakage.

“If a seal is deflated, that is fairly significant damage,” said Lochbaum.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
This articles claims that

Efforts to restore electrical power and cool the overheating reactors at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant suffer a setback after water pumps from reactor No.2 were found to be damaged beyond repair.

There's a lot of talk about #3 being a big deal because of the MOX and the top being blow-off.

But, #2 is the one I've been the most worried about.

I seem to recall #2 is the one that we had the first indications of a "breach" with - possibly with material from the RPV (reactor-pressure-vessel) dripping/dropping down into the "wet-well" / "suppression chamber". I've been going back through the thread and the Internet(s), looking to see if there's any confirmation of that, or it was just speculation. Nothing definitive yet. I hope that was just wild speculation.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

yes, and also the fact that this building is intact seems to pose a problem in terms of getting water to the SFP

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If all the raectors somehow have beyond normal leaks(which we are sure that they are), how the are they gonna get in there and fix them without droppind dead?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ljonesyuk
What information do people want or feel should have been reported?
Factual ? Speculation ?I've seen plenty of speculative and a little factual info but it seems that if the information released by the media doesn't correlate to someones expectations then it's not good enough.

Just to clarify ....... No ones died as far as we know as a direct result of radiation poisoning right? Mmmmmmm thought half of cali was meant to have gone down with it by now ?!?

I see your back again....

Well i heard a few firemen died..... and as the governments haven't disclosed autopsy reports on the Japanese yet, well i doubt there will ever be any done anyway...

Anyway.....move along, nothing for you to see here. This is for people above the age of 12...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
**Breaking**

Japanese tv... 5.7 quake just hit close to Fukushima nuclear plant.

edit on 22-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonandStar

Originally posted by MoonandStar
If all the raectors somehow have beyond normal leaks(which we are sure that they are), how the are they gonna get in there and fix them without droppind dead?

There is no "normal" leak of nuclear material, if it is leaked out, it's always catastrophic and horrible.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonandStar

Unfortunately, at this point the presumption really is that many of the people working on these endeavor's at that plant are going to die from being over-exposed. It may be a long time before we know how many, what % of the people involved are effected that extremely, and what their names are/were.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Saw this on another thread, and thought it was relevant here ...

Japan nuclear firm admits missing safety checks at disaster-hit plant

The power plant at the centre of the biggest civilian nuclear crisis in Japan's history contained far more spent fuel rods than it was designed to store, while its technicians repeatedly failed to carry out mandatory safety checks, according to documents from the reactor's operator.

According to documents from Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), the company repeatedly missed safety checks over a 10-year period up to two weeks before the 11 March disaster, and allowed uranium fuel rods to pile up inside the 40-year-old facility.

.. no big "surprise"?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Plus there are reports of Tepco using homeless and immigrants to fight the problems of the plant.(sourced this couple of pages back)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Good catch..I think it is the same one USGS just posted at 5.4. But it is only 47 miles from the reactors and it was pretty shallow. Probably scared the crud out of them.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 287  288  289    291  292  293 >>

join