It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 29.htm
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
they were tested and made to withstand a mag 7.9 with out damage not an 8.9 and certainly not 9.1 !!! skinny guy said otherwise such bs

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is horrible news. I hate doom and gloom threads.

In November 1992, a fuel rod was broken through a handling error, and MOX dust was released during the mounting of MOX fuel rods to fuel assemblies in the fuel fabrication facility adjoining the MOX facility in Dessel, Belgium. In the event of such accidents, if the ICRP recommendations for general public exposure were adhered to, only about one mg of plutonium may be released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg) of uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure. A one mg release of plutonium can easily happen during various smaller incidents.30

edit on 12-3-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ummm... I would like to add to my last post about the radiation levels...

I looked up Sieverts (before I saw Tranny's post above... thank you for that!) and realized something. There have been reports of a few workers being diagnosed with severe radiation poisoning and rushed to the hospital, but that dose would have had to have been on the order of 8 or more Sieverts, or 8,000,000 µSv, orders of magnitude above the PDF report I went over. That means either we are being lied to about the amount of radiation in that report, or that report is from areas which are not receiving contamination.

I tend to go with the latter at this point.

But either way, that report has to be at best unrepresentative of the situation. So I withdraw my conclusion that no major neutron emission occurred, and the mention of warnings to stay indoors should it rain would confirm this. Rainwater contamination is definitely from neutron emission.

Sorry guys, redneck do a boo-boo.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Man, I want to kiss you (I'm a chick, so don't feel weird, LOL).

This is a great post. Not only a retraction, but a great explanation and your opinion holds a lot of weight. Thank you.

ETA: so yeah, like I said.....they're taking the measurements from the *other* side of the huge crack in the wall, right? LOL
edit on 12-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
the desprete attempts to cool the reactors with sea water look to have failed and now the other reactor is progressing worse, goverment expanding contamination zone and distributing iodine pills and a special military unit has been dispacted in to clean up radioactive material

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Beavis

n the event of such accidents, if the ICRP recommendations for general public exposure were adhered to, only about one mg of plutonium may be released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg) of uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure.

Holy... That MOX stuff is very very very very toxic then...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reporter with cnn states that japan goverment needs to be more transparent regarding this nightmare with the plants

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
48 hours into this disaster so many conflicting reports about this
why are waiting on the japan goverment ? do we not have american
experts on the scene ? why have we not heard there reports ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
More on the specific dangers of Fukushima 1 plant's reactor 3: The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says the reactor is fueled with uranium and plutonium, meaning the consequences of a meltdown are much more severe than at the other reactors. -Reuters

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavis
This is horrible news. I hate doom and gloom threads.

In November 1992, a fuel rod was broken through a handling error, and MOX dust was released during the mounting of MOX fuel rods to fuel assemblies in the fuel fabrication facility adjoining the MOX facility in Dessel, Belgium. In the event of such accidents, if the ICRP recommendations for general public exposure were adhered to, only about one mg of plutonium may be released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg) of uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure. A one mg release of plutonium can easily happen during various smaller incidents.30

Any source for that?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
48 hours into this disaster so many conflicting reports about this
why are waiting on the japan goverment ? do we not have american
experts on the scene ? why have we not heard there reports ?

There are american experts there.

I had a quote in the 'other thread' but thats a lot to go back through and find....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
of course, jackbauer beat me to it. He is jack bauer, afterall

edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
It appears that #3 is the one to be most worried about...

reactor 3: The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says the reactor is fueled with uranium and plutonium, meaning the consequences of a meltdown are much more severe than at the other reactors.

Can anyone say how much worse? What does this add to the "problem"?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I saw Bill Nye(the science guy) on CNN earlier tonight. He stated that he had info that boron or borate was being added to the sea water that is being pumped into reactor #1. This is to absorb neutrons and slow the reaction.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
More on reactors: At least 210,000 told to evacuate area around quake-stricken nuclear plants - nytimes nyti.ms...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

this is all ive found so far

# 0411: Shaun Bernie, from lobby group Greenpeace, tells the BBC that using plutonium as fuel increases the risk that something could go wrong because plutonium-fuelled plants operate at a higher level. He also says plutonium is far more dangerous if it's released into the environment.

link   
Tyranny & Redneck ...Thank you for your chart... but what does this mean...Hourly radiation at the site was measured at 1204 micro sievert, in excess of the allowable level of 500? I'm only familiar with REMS.
Thank you!

Ektar

link   
Two things I have been so very afraid of thru the years.
Radiation and poison snakes.
13 years ago I lived 1/4 mile from a Nuclear Facility -
went by it every day, thought of it every day and after 5 months
I couldn't take the idea of being that close and moved much
further away. Now here we all are with great concerns -
something tha cant destroy so many people, earth and animals.
I must be having a nightmare.

link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Hey, everyone makes mistakes. Some people just don't seem to be able to admit it.

Maybe the other side from the crack, but I'm thinking below it. The explosion was in the top of the building, and the superheated steam would rise quickly. That means any energetic neutrons in that water/steam would rise as well, and not be detected at ground level. The gamma readings confuse me though... apparently there is enough gamma radiation around there to send a few people to the hospital, but not enough to matter on the sensor? I'm thinking there has to be a crack in the primary containment wall as well for that to happen.

Man, I want to kiss you (I'm a chick, so don't feel weird, LOL).

Awwwwww....

And thanks for the last part of that.

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I saw Bill Nye(the science guy) on CNN earlier tonight. He stated that he had info that boron or borate was being added to the sea water that is being pumped into reactor #1. This is to absorb neutrons and slow the reaction.

yup. its basically a last ditch effort. However, they are using fresh water in #3, which i find curious

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join