It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 288.htm
<< 285  286  287    289  290  291 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

As far as contaminating the Pacific Ocean, isn't dilution the solution?
I saw on the news that water from the fire trucks is pouring onto reactor 3 and then draining
into the ocean.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You can get a bit more easily understandable perspective on how much bad stuff there is in total at Fukushima here:

news.sciencemag.org...

The Daiichi complex had a total of 1760 metric tons of fresh and used nuclear fuel on site last year, according to a presentation by its owners, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco). The most damaged Daiichi reactor, number 3, contains about 90 tons of fuel, and the storage pool above reactor 4, which the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's (NRC's) Gregory Jaczko reported yesterday had lost its cooling water, contains 135 tons of spent fuel. The amount of fuel lost in the core melt at Three Mile Island in 1979 was about 30 tons; the Chernobyl reactors had about 180 tons when the accident occurred in 1986.

The spent fuel pools can contain much more than the reactor cores... As reported above reactor #4 contains 135 tons of spent fuel.

edit on 22-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Well didn't the "Fat Man" Atomic bomb that blew up over Nagasaki have a "plutonium" core? 50 years later Nagasaki is fully recovered. I visited there when my ship pulled into Osaka, Japan. There is a statue there that is pointing up in the air. The bomb went off 500' above the statue. There are beautiful trees around the memorial.
True enough.

What isn't in the picture that you paint, would be all the tumors and cases of leukemia.

There was pounds or less of plutonium in "Fat Man"

Reactor #3 alone contains 90 TONS of MOX fuel.

FYI

yes but thats not 90 tons of plutonium ..

Isn't the MOX fuel comprised of 6 or 7% plutonium though?
That would be roughly 11-13,000 lbs of plutonium in the mix.
Better than 90 tons, but still enough to do a bit of damage right?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
[

Isn't the MOX fuel comprised of 6 or 7% plutonium though?
That would be roughly 11-13,000 lbs of plutonium in the mix.
Better than 90 tons, but still enough to do a bit of damage right?

It depends on the reactor also as far as I can tell Reactor#3 was not 100%MOX fueled and the percentage of plutonium changes with spent fuel. Regardless there is more than enough plutonium there to be a cause for concern

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Just a month before a powerful earthquake and tsunami crippled the Fukushima Daiichi plant at the center of Japan’s nuclear crisis, government regulators approved a 10-year extension for the oldest of the six reactors at the power station despite warnings about its safety.

I think we can safely say ...
... they've been "over-ruled" by mother-nature at this point.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
People need to learn the difference between a nuclear fallout from a nuclear reactor and a nuclear fallout from a nuke.

1 percent of (90 short tons) = 816.466266 kilograms

Well ain't that nice. That's 6.8 X 816 Kg.. 5.551 tons of PU... and one ton of PU can kill a trillion humans or so. You do the math... We'll need to do lots and lots of babies to ``drain`` that PU... Let's start already with the 24/7 sex!
It's for the earth of course!

edit on 22-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
flipping through channels on cabel,

wind change- radiation heading directly towards tokyo.

not sure how old or if posted already.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thevolunteerwino
reply to post by 00nunya00

exceptionally above average for the epa site, vegas or denver numbers compared to seattle oregon etc

LOL, FAIL. Try to get information before you claim to know something about it:

Vegas:

Denver:

Unless that tinfoil hat is covering your eyes, you'll see both those places had much higher levels of radiation BEFORE the quake. So, what's your explanation for that?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've been looking for information on xe-133, ways to protect oneself from it, and toxicology. It's funny because it's used in medicine for imaging yet I can't find much on google. I don't think potassium iodide will help for xe-133, am I right in thinking this? Just wondering how this stuff influences the body.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Catching-up on the latest press releases ...

Latest TEPCO release (from 11 PM yesterday - Tokyo time, about 3 hours ago, not available in English yet) ...
News and conditions in plants Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (now 11:00 PM March 22):

Latest English JAIF release (#25, from 11 PM yesterday - Tokyo time) ...
Reactor Status and Major Events Update 25 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 21:00 March 22
... that's the one with the color-coded spreadsheet.

Latest English NISA release (#43, from 6:00 PM yesterday - Tokyo time) ...
Seismic Damage Information (the 43th Release)(As of 18:00 March 22nd, 2011)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
I've been looking for information on xe-133, ways to protect oneself from it, and toxicology. It's funny because it's used in medicine for imaging yet I can't find much on google. I don't think potassium iodide will help for xe-133, am I right in thinking this? Just wondering how this stuff influences the body.

Here is the MSDS for Xe-133, it has a half life of approx 5 days.
Xe-133 MSDS

ETA: what did you search on? my first search was toxicity of xenon 133, tons of info out there
edit on 22-3-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
News from NHK

Vegetables being rejected at grocery stores even if from safe regions. Minister made announcement that said all good that are being released for delivery are safe...

Head of TEPCO visiting shelters and apologizing to the people. They are asking when they can go home. He promised to do his best to get it under control

Soil samples taken near the plant were showing high levels so that a person living in that area for 1 year would get 4 times normal exposure. I missed the actual location so will have to catch that next round

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is from JiJi Press ...
(from about 2.5 hours ago)

External Power Connected to All 6 Reactors at Fukushima N-Plant

Tokyo, March 22 (Jiji Press)--Tokyo Electric Power Co. on Tuesday succeeded in connecting external power cables to all of the six reactors at the earthquake-damaged Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.
The company thus moved a step forward to run cooling systems for the reactors and spent fuel pools at the nuclear power plant, which was ravaged by the March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunami and brought about a serious crisis.
Utilizing Tohoku Electric Power Co.'s power lines, external electricity can be transmitted to supply lighting to the central control rooms and power measuring equipment at the No. 3 and 4 reactors.
At 10:43 p.m. (1:43 p.m. GMT), the No. 3 reactor's control room was lit up, with external power supplied to the reactor for the first time since the disaster.
The power company is also ready to test a feedwater pump at the No. 4 reactor to cool down the reactor core.
(2011/03/22-23:44)

Note: Emphasis in qouted material added by poster (i.e. me)

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

Is that it? That is so weak it doesn't tell me very much. This is something that is administered in medicine there has to be better and more specific information, this msds is so vague it is almost useless.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00you'll see both those places had much higher levels of radiation BEFORE the quake. So, what's your explanation for that?

No worries... we eat radiation for breakfast down here in Vegas
Though we did wait for the winds to blow to Utah before detonating all those nukes

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Jees. Very sad. From Reuters, here's how many people he has to apologize to so far:

Number of people evacuated: A total of 263,915 people are in shelters around the country as of 1400 GMT on Tuesday after being evacuated, the National Police Agency of Japan said. The government expanded the evacuation area around a quake-stricken nuclear plant in northeastern Japan to a 20-km (12 miles) radius from 10 km on March 12. Since then, around 177,500 residents have evacuated from the zone.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is from Kyodo news ... seems maybe older than that recent Jiji Press article.
Unfortunately, Kyodo doesn't time-stamp their articles - just dates.

Status of Fukushima nuclear power plants Tuesday night

Fukushima Daiichi plant

-- Reactor No. 1 (Operation suspended after quake)

Partial melting of core, cooling failure, vapor vented, building housing containment of reactor damaged by hydrogen explosion, roof blown off, seawater being pumped in, work to restore electric power in progress.

-- Reactor No. 2 (Operation suspended after quake)

Damage to reactor containment structure feared, cooling failure, seawater being pumped in, fuel rods fully exposed temporarily, vapor vented, building housing containment of reactor damaged by blast at adjacent reactor No. 3, blast heard near suppression chamber of containment vessel, access to external power restored Sunday, steam seen rising Monday, pool holding spent-fuel rods filled with water on Tuesday with water temperature at 51 C.

-- Reactor No. 3 (Operation suspended after quake)

Partial melting of core feared, cooling failure, vapor vented, seawater being pumped in, building housing containment of reactor badly damaged by hydrogen explosion, seawater dumped over spent-fuel storage pool by helicopter Thursday, water sprayed at it from the ground for six days through Tuesday, workers temporarily forced to evacuate due to grayish smoke seen billowing from roof on Monday, lighting back on in control room on Tuesday.

-- Reactor No. 4 (Under maintenance when quake struck)

No fuel rods in reactor core, renewed nuclear chain reaction feared at spent-fuel storage pool, fire at building housing containment of reactor, only frame remains of reactor building roof, temperature in the pool reached 84 C on March 14, water sprayed at pool for three days through Tuesday.

-- Reactor No. 5 (Under maintenance when quake struck)

Some fuel rods left in reactor core, cooling in spent-fuel storage pool resumed Saturday, cold shutdown at reactor on Sunday, access to external power restored, power source switched to external power from emergency power on Monday.

-- Reactor No. 6 (Under maintenance when quake struck)

Some fuel rods left in reactor core, emergency power generator and cooling functions restored Saturday, cold shutdown at reactor on Sunday.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Exactly. It makes me wonder if they were doing some digging or something in the area of those old nuke tests to produce that huge 1000 spike a day or two before the quake. Y'all must be hearty and healthy if Ann gag-me-with-a-spoon Coulter is right!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
NHK Story about power to #3 ...
This one is very recent (~30 minutes ago)

TEPCO restores power to No.3 reactor

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has restored the electricity supply for the control room of the Number 3 reactor at the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. TEPCO said lights in the control room were switched on again on Tuesday night.

Eleven days have passed since the massive earthquake devastated northeastern Japan and cut off external power to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

TEPCO reconnected power cables to the Number 3 and Number 4 reactors earlier on Tuesday. The lights are now working in the control room of the Number 3 reactor. This will make it easier to repair the reactor's cooling system. TEPCO will now try to reactivate vital monitoring systems in the control rooms, such as those for measuring temperatures inside the reactors and water levels in the spent fuel storage pools. TEPCO says it will transmit electricity to the cooling pump for the Number 3 reactor on Wednesday. The company says if the pump functions normally, it will begin cooling the reactor and the spent fuel storage pool.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 02:01 +0900 (JST)

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
This is from JiJi Press ...
(from about 2.5 hours ago)

External Power Connected to All 6 Reactors at Fukushima N-Plant

Tokyo Electric Power Co.

The power company is also ready to test a feedwater pump at the No. 4 reactor to cool down the reactor core.

Why would they try to cool a reactor that was shut and all fuel removed prior to the earthquake?

edit on 3/22/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 285  286  287    289  290  291 >>

join