It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 287.htm
<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Nevermind... move along.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wash the radioactive dust particles off...with radioactive tap water?

If there was ever a sign to head for the hills, that was it!

Cesium-137 has a half life of 30 years! I wonder if most Japanese citizens even know that?

In a week Plutonium will come on the scene, no doubt. That has a half-life of 24,000 YEARS!!!

Japan may be doomed.

Well didn't the "Fat Man" Atomic bomb that blew up over Nagasaki have a "plutonium" core?
50 years later Nagasaki is fully recovered. I visited there when my ship pulled into Osaka, Japan.
There is a statue there that is pointing up in the air. The bomb went off 500' above the statue.
There are beautiful trees around the memorial.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Well didn't the "Fat Man" Atomic bomb that blew up over Nagasaki have a "plutonium" core? 50 years later Nagasaki is fully recovered. I visited there when my ship pulled into Osaka, Japan. There is a statue there that is pointing up in the air. The bomb went off 500' above the statue. There are beautiful trees around the memorial.
True enough.

What isn't in the picture that you paint, would be all the tumors and cases of leukemia.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

All we need is a best case scenario.

Best case would be to apply electric power to the cooling systems at the reactors and if that all works, the worst is over. It can be controlled, and quickly contained... IF the existing equipment, pumps etc are operational and everything functions...

Realistic best case, they are able to continue cooling the reactor cores and keep the water levels up in the spent fuel pools with better alternative methods for a long enough period of time to plan and execute a massive entombment construction project that could take several months, or perhaps years to complete. There will be continued contamination throughout this process, extreme environmental damage from radioactive contamination, including dangerous long life elements which will likely leave a great deal of the northern half of Japan uninhabitable, for an unknown period of time. A large portion of the pacific ocean could also be contaminated, and some of these issues are already occurring.

Longer term impact from contamination and ecological systems damage, unknown.. But will be likely far worse than anyone will expect it to be.

Good thing, you didn't ask for a worst case.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Best case would be to apply electric power to the cooling systems at the reactors and if that all works, the worst is over.

first step acheved - I just read in local news that all electric lines are connected and working. Now going to step 2 - checking if it will work.
I hope that it will.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Well didn't the "Fat Man" Atomic bomb that blew up over Nagasaki have a "plutonium" core? 50 years later Nagasaki is fully recovered. I visited there when my ship pulled into Osaka, Japan. There is a statue there that is pointing up in the air. The bomb went off 500' above the statue. There are beautiful trees around the memorial.
True enough.

What isn't in the picture that you paint, would be all the tumors and cases of leukemia.

There was pounds or less of plutonium in "Fat Man"

Reactor #3 alone contains 90 TONS of MOX fuel.

FYI

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted. I just heard it on the news and it's relevant.

Radiation levels at Fukushima exceeds norm 1,600 times - IAEA

Source: rt.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lubilou
Sorry if this has already been posted. I just heard it on the news and it's relevant.

Radiation levels at Fukushima exceeds norm 1,600 times - IAEA

Source: rt.com...

That news is about 24 hours old now... Go back a few pages and you'll find it.

What is it NOW?

Who knows?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Yeah, windwaker you're right. And, they are told not to drink the water, but it's ok to bathe in. They obviously don't realize that the human skin is the largest organ of the body and is permeable to ALL substances. An example would be: Nitroglycerine cream. A dose is measured out and rubbed on the skin. This is a comedy of errors that, TPTB, are letting happen on purpose. Taking full advantage of a catastrophe to depopulate. The Japanese are told to behave, and they are for now. The real show hasn't even begun. TPTB should be thoroughly be entertained when panic sets in, gladiator style.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Thanks for letting me know, this thread moves so fast.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gr82m8okdok

Actually unbroken skin is actually pretty resistant to alpha radiation. Light clothing will block most alpha radiation. Ingested particles of alpha is however bad stuff.
edit on 22-3-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

That reactor 3 appears to be a fountain of radiation.
What if...................helicopters dropped sheets of lead on top?
I'll try anything now.
------------------------------------
What if a barge was moved in with long sheets of lead?
Attach a cable to the sheet. Drop the cable over the building. Hook it up to one of those
fire trucks on the other side and pull the sheet up over the reactor 3? Repeat the process 20 times.
-- Desperate times breed desperate actions. --

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

True enough.

FYI

yes but thats not 90 tons of plutonium ..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Lead would probably help.

I think it would be better to smother it with boron and sand. When it melts, it will move the fuel apart to slow the reaction and it would congeal in the end to contain radioisotopes.

See Zorgons excellent Chernobyl info.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

It would be more than just a couple of pounds though,

would you agree?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Anyone interested in a survey of the facts, opinions, and status of the controversy over hormesis, as this phenomenon is called, should take the time to read the Wikipedia articles on hormesis and radiation hormesis. Here's a quick summary, subject to my biases in favor of being unbiased (and ironic).

There is no real controversy that many substances are needed for life in small quantities but toxic in larger amounts. Magnesium, potassium, and water come to mind. Alcohol (the benefits of a glass of wine a day versus none or too much) is a possible example of hormesis.

Hormesis is the claim that this phenomenon is widespread. There is some evidence that quite a few toxic chemicals may have beneficial effects in very low doses. But this theory is relatively recent, not widely accepted, and there is not a lot of evidence in existence - either way. Nor is that much investigation going on, as this is not a politically popular avenue of research for legislative or agency funding. Industry assumes, quite rightly I suspect, that if it funded studies that supported hormesis the public and government would probably not accept them however strong the results seemed.

As to radiation specifically, there are some studies and proposed mechanisms suggesting beneficial effects of very low levels of radiation in comparison to almost none at all. But they haven't persuaded most government regulators and scientists, much less the general public. Neither have the claims of serious hazards for very low levels or radiation. The reigning theory is that the risk decreases linearly in proportion to the dose of radiation.

Actually, there is not all that much evidence directly supporting that model either. But it fits the needs of bureaucracy and politics today fairly well. It allows some perhaps occasionally overcautious and expensive regulatory protection, but also allows some limits on costs so that economic benefits aren't totally eliminated. It would be enormously expensive and problematic in a number of respects to conduct studies sufficient to answer these questions rigorously. People of every opinion on this are going with their biases and general senses of morality and practicality to a significant extent.

So this is one of the few things I've heard from Coulter that isn't totally wrong, though it's as distorted, opportunistic, and self-aggrandizing as ever in her mouth. I might be in fairly close agreement with her on addition and long division, at least for pretty small numbers. I'm not going to let it worry me either way.

link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

True enough.

FYI

yes but thats not 90 tons of plutonium ..

Right, it is a mix of plutonium, uranium, reprocessed uranium, or depleted uranium.

It was thought to be a good way to use weapons grade plutonium reclaimed from nuclear bombs.. Hasn't worked out too well in this case, has it?

edit on 22-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

link   

FYI

The reactor alone or does that include the spent fuel stored in the reactor building?

For light water reactors using MOX fuel, the NAS calculates that residual plutonium in the spent fuel would range from 1.6 percent (for a 33% MOX core with 4% plutonium loading) to 4.9 percent (for a 100% MOX core with 6.8% plutonium loading). Ranges of 2.5 percent to 6.8 percent plutonium loading have been suggested. In the case of a CANDU reactor using a 100% MOX core, the percentage of plutonium in MOX spent fuel would be between 0.8 and 1.4 percent for MOX fuel containing 1.2 percent and 2.1 percent plutonium, respectively.

1 percent of (90 short tons) = 816.466266 kilograms

source
edit on 3/22/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/22/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lubilou

Thanks for letting me know, this thread moves so fast.
Thanks for the heads up lubilou. I need to get more versed about Nuclear effects on and in the Human body, just in case. My education is in Palliative/Hospice care.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wash the radioactive dust particles off...with radioactive tap water?

If there was ever a sign to head for the hills, that was it!

Cesium-137 has a half life of 30 years! I wonder if most Japanese citizens even know that?

In a week Plutonium will come on the scene, no doubt. That has a half-life of 24,000 YEARS!!!

Japan may be doomed.

Well didn't the "Fat Man" Atomic bomb that blew up over Nagasaki have a "plutonium" core?
50 years later Nagasaki is fully recovered. I visited there when my ship pulled into Osaka, Japan.
There is a statue there that is pointing up in the air. The bomb went off 500' above the statue.
There are beautiful trees around the memorial.

There are different types of plutonium, and the plutonium used in bombs has a much shorter half life than the stuff used in reactors.

top topics

<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join