It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 285.htm
<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by 12345lonestar
reply to post by KaiserSoze

And what Ann Coulter said actually does hold a bit of truth. Similar to a virus. You body learns or more quickly reacts to radiation in your body with regular exposure to radiation. Mainly from everyday radiation you are exposed to. If you are exposed to very little amounts of every day radiation your body does not repair itself as effectively if you are then exposed to higher levels of radiation, But if you re exposed to higher levels of everyday radiation your body effectively repairs itself as their is more of a need for your body to react to it and if exposed to higher levels you will recover more quickly than someone who has been exposed to little to no radiation. I guess think of it like building a tolerance to alcoholic. You build a bit of a tolerance for radiation with regular exposure. But this is just low levels.

Poisons, like alcohol, can cause the body to build up a tolerance by stimulating the liver.
However there is no similar system for detoxifying radiation damage.

So please show proof or stop spouting bullcrap.

I think Ann Coulter's been watching too many superhero movies.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12345lonestar
reply to post by Kailassa

I am not spouting cr@p off the top of my head.

radiationhormesis.com...

First decent article i found.

With the way radiation damages your cells and DNA you body has to repair that. This is how many cancers are caused by radiation. DNA can be repaired incorrectly and cause mutations which lead to cancer. These cell and DNA damages happen everyday from the low level radiation you get from the environment. Not goign to affect you. With higher low level radiation your body's response to repairing these damages is quicker and more accurate because your body has to do these repairs more frequently. People with lower amounts of low level radiation do not recover as quickly because their body does not have to cope with it. So if both people experience a spike in radiation, the person who experiences higher levels of radiation regularly will more effectively heal and correctly repair their DNA. Like anythign with this is subject research is scarce

Just because something sounds backwards to conventional thinking doesn't mean it is wrong.

You call That a decent article? Radiation MAY do this and radiation MAY do that, and the totally unsubstantiated claim that: "other observed benefits include but are not limited to elimination of yeast/fungus/mold/candida in your body, anti-aging/longer life span, and alkalizing effect on the body."

Funnily enough, one problem for women having radiation therapy is candida, which the irradiated body can't fight off.

And all this is on a site selling radioactive rocks as jewellery...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I never said it was fine. I said the limit is not 250mSv/year.

Well seems you are WRONG

Elevated limit for workers during Fukushima emergency: 250 mSv/year

en.wikipedia.org...

Normal background radiation varies from place to place but delivers a dose equivalent in the vicinity of 2.4 mSv/year annually, or about 0.3 µSv/h.[295][296] The international limit for radiation exposure for nuclear workers is 20 mSv per year, averaged over five years, with a limit of 50 mSv in any one year,[296] however for workers performing emergency services EPA guidance on dose limits is 100 mSv when "protecting valuable property" and 250 mSv when the activity is "life saving or protection of large populations."[297] A 250 mSv dose is estimated to increase one's lifetime risk of developing fatal cancer from about 20% to about 21%,[298] and chronic exposure of 100 mSv per year is the "lowest level at which any increase in cancer is clearly evident," according to the International Commission on Radiological Protection.[299] Symptoms of radiation poisoning typically emerge with a 1000 mSv total dose over a day.[

en.wikipedia.org...

Nuclear Radiation and Health Effects

The maximum annual dose allowed for radiation workers is 20 mSv/yr, though in practice, doses are usually kept well below this level. In comparison, the average dose received by the public from nuclear power is 0.0002 mSv/yr, which is of the order of 10,000 times smaller than the total yearly dose received by the public from background radiation.

Public dose limits for exposure from uranium mining or nuclear plants are usually set at 1 mSv/yr above background. In most countries the current maximum permissible dose to radiation workers is 20 mSv per year averaged over five years, with a maximum of 50 mSv in any one year.

www.world-nuclear.org...

Dose limit examples

1) Criterion for relocation after Chernobyl disaster: 350 mSv/lifetime[10]
2) In most countries the current maximum permissible dose to radiation workers is 20 mSv per year averaged over five years, with a maximum of 50 mSv in any one year. This is over and above background exposure, and excludes medical exposure. The value originates from the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP), and is coupled with the requirement to keep exposure as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) – taking into account social and economic factors.[15]
3)Public dose limits for exposure from uranium mining or nuclear plants are usually set at 1 mSv/yr above background.[15]

en.wikipedia.org...

50 mSv/yr Former routine limit for nuclear industry employees. It is also the dose rate which arises from natural background levels in several places in Iran, India and Europe

100 mSv/yr Lowest level at which any increase in cancer is clearly evident.

350 mSv/lifetime Criterion for relocating people after Chernobyl accident

400 mSv/hr The level recorded at the Japanese nuclear site, 15 March

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 22-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
2:27 AM EDT - Japan nuclear safety agency says white smoke rising from reactor no.2 of stricken plant likely to be steam from spent-fuel pool.

-Reuters.com

Yes, very likely.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well seems you are WRONG

Well it seems you are LATE

edit on 3/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Well it seems you are LATE

What? because it took me a few minutes to look up the data to throw at you?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Okay, I must admit that I laughed outloud at that one.

Zorgon, go back a page......someone beat you to it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kismetphayze

edit on 22/3/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
This from the French nuclear corporation AREVA's website:

An expert’s opinion on the Japanese nuclear crisis
4 questions for Bertrand Barré

LINK
Seeing the article was the 17th I wonder what would be said today on the Fukushima event?

See also: Completion of MOX fuel shipment to Japan

Here is some interesting details:

The contract details are commercially confidential and despite calls for their disclosure have not been made public. What is know is that 483 kg of total plutonium is to be fabricated for TEPCO, which on the basis of a concentration/enrichment of 5% (average) amounts to 9666 kg or just under 10 tonnes of MOX. Approximately half of this, amounting to 32 plutonium MOX fuel assemblies (around 5 tonnes including the uranium), is destined for transport during 1999 to Japan. There it is planned to be loaded into the Boiling Water Reactor Fukishima I-3 in Fukui Prefecture on the Sea of Japan/East Sea coast, west of Kyoto.

LINK
edit on 22-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: removed misinformation.... sorry..... added another link too

edit on 22-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kismetphayze
Zorgon, go back a page......someone beat you to it.

And your point? On a 285 page thread I answer posts as I get to them. And your only contribution to this whole thread is to express your amusement?

edit on 22-3-2011 by zorgon because: Chadwickus talked to ArMaP to convince Phage to do it, even though Aliens abducted him

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
there was another after shock 6.6 as per usgs
pdate time = Tue Mar 22 7:36:28 UTC 2011

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region
MAP 6.6 2011/03/22 07:18:48 37.249 143.956 26.5 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

NHK: Total dead/missing from quake/tsunami now at 22,000.

NIKKEI looking up 9,608.32 +401.57 +4.36%

Crazy...

Last quake: off Fukushima, depth 10 km, magnitude 6.3

japantimes : Tepco confirms spread of contamination in seawater near Fukushima nuclear plant

DailyYomiuri Water spraying on the No 3 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant has begun, to last for 1 hour, according to the fire department

REUTERSFLASH: Japan nuclear safety agency: White smoke rising from reactor no.2 of plant likely steam from spent-fuel pool

Well duh.
People should be "properly afraid" of Fukushima radiation, particularly in food, Japanese nuclear expert says

Japan Extended Reactor’s Life, Despite Warning

Just a month before a powerful earthquake and tsunami crippled the Fukushima Daiichi plant at the center of Japan’s nuclear crisis, government regulators approved a 10-year extension for the oldest of the six reactors at the power station despite warnings about its safety.

W7VOA In N. Ibaraki city 北茨城市 radiation level tripled between Sun. PM and Tues. AM

Ibaraki City is about 70 miles/110 km from Fukushima.

But if you watch the MSM, if they EVEN talk about the Japan situation, they say all is getting better.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
For anyone who is interested...

The EWI Energy Center has organized a conference call and webinar that will give you access to experts from the nuclear industry regarding the situation at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. They will provide you with the chain of events, without sensationalism or hypotheses, regarding what has transpired in Japan over the last week and half. You will hear directly from the experts and will have an opportunity to get your questions answered.

HERE

The webinar takes place Tuesday, March 22, online, 2-3pm EST. It is open to the public and the news media.

More info

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Dutch media reports that the firefighters from tokyo were forced to cool the reactor.

A Japanese minister in Tokyo forced firefighters for hours to cool a reactor with water while radiation was released.

Report via Google translate
www.nu.nl...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I've been following this thread from the beginning. I tend to read more than I comment. I just thought it was kind of funny and I commented. Why comment now, on something so unimportant? On a whim (seemingly a poor choice). It wasn't anything personal.

Apparently though, I've caused a distraction, and I don't want it to take up any more of this thread. You've done good work on your research, and my amusement was not meant to suggest otherwise. If that's how it came across, that is not what was intended. The humor, I thought, was a nice tension release....but obviously I stepped in the middle of something that was more serious than I thought.

Apologies for offending...I guess this is why I read more than I post.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well this is new(at least for me). Acorrding to a Turkish daily newspaper, TEPCO sent homeless and immigrants to Fkujima to fight the leaking radioactivity. News papers source is German WDR TV. TEPCO also avoided the necessary reporting and checks af the plant some weeks ago. Forged false reports too..

GREEN CARDED KAMIKAZES( headline says)

Source is in Turkish though:

Source

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
URGENT: Radiation 1,600 times normal level 20 km from Fukushima plant: IAEA

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said the level of iodine-131 was 126.7 times higher and caesium-134 was 24.8 times higher than government-set standards.

But eh, all is well...

Well, I noticed your post, even if others didn't. Looks like they were wrong with their 20 km evacuation zone.
edit on 22-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonbeams771
For anyone who is interested...

The EWI Energy Center has organized a conference call and webinar that will give you access to experts from the nuclear industry regarding the situation at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. They will provide you with the chain of events, without sensationalism or hypotheses, regarding what has transpired in Japan over the last week and half. You will hear directly from the experts and will have an opportunity to get your questions answered.

HERE

The webinar takes place Tuesday, March 22, online, 2-3pm EST. It is open to the public and the news media.

More info

Does anyone think it might be possible for us to make a list of some questions that no one has been able to answer so far and submit them to the website mentioned above? I don't know anywhere near as much as what alot of people on this thread know and I wouldn't want to waste time asking things that aren't important.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

South Korea has raised 58.1b won (US$52m) in public donations so far for quake victimes - Yonhap

That's good, but this is nothing compared to what the Japanese government has printed just last week for the stock market or the currency market. The government will gladly print billions to save the stock market, but will not print the same money to hire people to go get those in the evacuation zones that are stuck there, or provide them with blankets, clean food and clean water.... or rebuild their homes...

The bankers and corporations win again.

NISA: Chances of spent fuel going re-critical is extremely low & don't anticipate any possibility of total meltdown of reactor cores.

Except they never anticipated anything that happened so far. And total meltdown... yeah, it's unlikely. But there's already partial meltdown in 3 reactors, and no one knows how many of those used fuel rods experienced partial meltdown, could be dozens of them, if not hundreds of them.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I am pleased that the SKs sent money.

Historically, those two countries are not the very best of friends, but time does heal (most) wounds.

I wish I could wake up a week from now and everything at Fukushima would be hunky-dory, but I just don't have a very good feeling about all of this. The lies are catching up with the Japanese govt and TEPCO.
I feel that every new nuclear accident takes the operators into uncharted territory. It can be an identical reactor to one that has happened in the past, but each location and situation will be unique.

top topics

<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join