It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 283.htm
<< 280  281  282    284  285  286 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Yeah, I know that lead itself is a human poison but I happened to be doing a little circuit modification and was just struck with how easily the solder wire flowed into a moltern pool of solder on a contact.

Lead can be vaporised, true, but so can Plutonium and lead poisoning can be remediated somewhat.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

ummm NO it wasn't

Umm. Yes it was. Please note the context of the statement.
The readings were for areas away from the reactors.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The readings were for areas away from the reactors.

So 1 kilometer is not 'away from the reactors?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Okay, maybe I'm in the minority of folks who totally missed this awesome freakin' link but it's about the coolest thing since sliced bread and canned beer. Not only can you query the RadNet EPA data, but you can GRAPH it too! (And that's where you got those cool graphs, Phage! I thought you had paid for some software or something!)

It's very neat, and especially cool to see in a local context, for your area. Now, as Phage said earlier, all I gotta do is archive some data for a while, and I'm down the rabbit hole again.....

Edited to fix link
edit on 21-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
# NEWS ADVISORY: Smoke from Fukushima plant's No. 2 reactor is steam: defense chief (11:02)

# NEWS ADVISORY: Smoke from Fukushima plant's No. 3 reactor likely from burning debris: defense chief (11:00)

link

I hope that 'burning debris' in reactor 3 isn't plutonium rods.

Those buildings are reinforced concrete and steel. They are designed as a containment structure and are not built of flammable materials. If it had been just building materials on fire, the fire-fighters, spraying for days, could have put it out. However, once the rods are too hot, applying water can induce radiation decay, increasing heat and making the fire worse.

Not only is the smoke from burning fuel rods in what little is left of R3, it's from burning MOX (plutonium) fuel rods.

At least I hope it's "only" the spent* fuel rods. Otherwise it's the core.

*spent = having INCREASED radioactivity.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I get this ...

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processException(RequestProcessor.java:545)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:486)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:274)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the JBossWeb/2.0.1.GA logs.

Awesome!

edit on 2011-3-21 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hey guys, remember when we were talking about living near military bases, and their activity lately? And I told you I live near a C-17 base in Charleston, SC?

Now, remember that military possible mandatory evacuation article a few pages back, from today, about how they can evacuate that Navy base south of Tokyo really quickly, using C-17s and "grey tails" or something like that?

Well, I've heard two C-17s tonight already (just heard/saw another). Not claiming ANYTHING from or about this, but I don't often hear them. Will keep you updated if I hear more. It feels really skeevy to post this, but I just wanted to get it on the record, in case there's speculation later about what's going on over there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

That's funny, because in the thread I just got the link from, one person was saying the same thing and taking it as proof of conspiracy, LOL! Maybe try again in a little while? I'm using Firefox, if that makes any difference.

OH WAIT! I'm a moron, sorry. Proper link

(Do not copy query result URL, duh)
edit on 21-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
General question:

Are peoople forgetting about Japan and moving on the the Libyan news cycle?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It's not in the range of the testing we were talking about.The testing in the surrounding area.
edit on 3/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarnished Templar
General question:

I'm not, but the "main-steam media" (MSM) certainly are.
To be fair, the "fall-out" (pun-intended) from the Japan Nuke situation probably won't be really known/over for days (or weeks even). So, it doesn't meet the MSM requirement for "excitement now" anymore - unless there's another explosion or something. Before the explosion's, they didn't seem interested at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

General question:

Absolutely not!

There hasn't been a lot of new recent developments, that could be good or bad... No one is going to forget this, or the Japanese people.

Libya will be big news for a few weeks, the aftermath of the earthquake, tsunami and current nuclear disaster in Japan will be a dominant story, and on the majority of minds for years... The cycle will expand and contract with the flow of news, but to think that this is going to be forgotten, or that people will just move on from it is silly.

Even if this nuclear crisis ended right now, it will still not go away.

Japan has what, the 3rd largest economy in the world?

Stay tuned... This saga is just beginning.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tarnished Templar

I think its the fact the only thing being talked about on the news is about Libya. I dont think its that big of a deal. Those middle eastern countries are ALWAYS doing this. I would only find it news worth if they all stopped fighting. Then i would know the end was near. I cant watch anymore news now. I was watching for any updates for the nuclear situation but now they only mention some old news as BREAKING NEWS that is 24 hours old and only mention it briefly every hour or so. And it is probably another 20 year old pretending to be rescued again. But i think most people see this and just assume the Japan story is over and all cleared up. Most people have been raised on sensationalism and now have a really short attention span and need new exciting things to stay entertained. People dont understand the nuclear situation, dont realize how potentially devastating it is, and all the Americans and Western Europeans have heard is "It wont have any affect on you".So to the general public, its old news and doesn't pertain to them any longer.

link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
OH WAIT! I'm a moron, sorry. Proper link

You're not a moron, you just made an honest mistake - without big consequences.
It's not like you built 4 nuclear reactors, backed-up against one-another, in a seismically active zone, along the seaboard of a country famous for tsunami's, and stored the spent fuel-rods on top of the reactors; or entered into (yet) another war in the middle-east; or anything like that.

link   
The Japanese are being lied to by their media about safe radiation doses.

Work to restore power delayed as smoke seen at Fukushima reactors

Japan's nuclear agency, meanwhile, said one of seven workers who were injured following a March 14 hydrogen explosion at the No. 3 reactor was found to have been exposed to radiation amounting to over 150 millisievert per hour. The level is lower than the maximum limit of 250 millisievert per hour set by the health ministry for workers tackling the emergency at the Fukushima plant.

The limit was raised to 250mS a YEAR, not an HOUR!
- And even this is 5 times higher than that allowed for nuclear industry workers in America.

After exposure to that limit, any worker should be removed from the radioactive environment immediately and permanently.

I'm afraid these men are going to be kept working till they drop.

edit on 22/3/11 by Kailassa because: formatting

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

No.
The limit for the Fukushima workers was set at 250mSv per hour.

At Fukushima 1, the level of radiation is 400 millisieverts per hour. The previous limit of 100 millisieverts means that workers can work for only 15 minutes; the new limit of 250 millisieverts means that they can work for 30 minutes.

lucian.uchicago.edu...< br />
edit on 3/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

LOL, yeah, it's just something I say in jest when I screw up, but to put it in the context you presented------yeah, I guess I'm looking like a physicist, compared to them.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absum!
reply to post by zorgon

Ann Coulter Says "minimum amount", of radiation government says you should have two times.
I did not realize the government has set minimums, like USDA daily requirements.
“Did you take your daily Plutonium supplement today dear?”
What a twit.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Absum! because: sp

As I was unable to get my minimum amount of radiation today I had to smoke 7 extra cigarettes. My rough calculations said 5 extra but I threw 2 more in "just in case".

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Well didn't yall hear! Tepco hired every single citizen in the country to work for them. So they are all now in the safe zone for the amount of radiation they are being exposed to. So no more worries!

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like that in reality at this point.

Hell that's one way to avoid a major law suit.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

General question:

not me .. I care deeply about Japan and the people, I don't give a crap about the next manufactured war other than its useless and a waste of life on both sides.

new topics

top topics

<< 280  281  282    284  285  286 >>

join