It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 280.htm
<< 277  278  279    281  282  283 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

[8:29 p.m. Monday ET, 9:29 a.m. Tuesday in Tokyo] The U.S. military is considering the mandatory evacuation of thousands of American troops and their families in Japan out of concern over rising radiation levels, a senior defense official said, according to CNN's Chris Lawrence.

The official, who did not want to be on the record talking about ongoing deliberations, says there are no discussions to evacuate all U.S. troops across the country. The talks have focused exclusively on U.S. troops in Yokosuka, just south of Tokyo, the official said. Yokosuka is home to America's largest naval base in Japan.

The official told CNN this is strictly a contingency plan, and could be accomplished "if they needed to do it in a hurry, with gray tails," or large military transport planes like a C-17.

CBS News first reported that the evacuation were being considered.

Posted on the other thread but figured it's big enough to bear repeating in case anyone misses it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Wow.
It is almost like someone is admitting they have a radiation problem in Japan.
Anyone think that the radiation suddenly reared its ugly head?
I think the authorities just can't hide it anymore. Too bad the people weren't told from the beginning.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I have just started watching the Chernobyl video, the information that stood out to me was that people gave their lives/health to tunnel under the reactor and drain the water. They seemed to think that lava pool plus water = uninhabitable Europe.

I have seen lots of statements regarding Fukishima, that it could in no way resemble Chernobyl because there was no huge explosion due to graphite. Please tell me I am wrong in extrapolating this information, in my limited knowledge, the very scenario in japan is one those at Chernobyl were trying to avoid, i.e. core material meeting water.

Obviously there is no confirmed meltdown in Japan, which is a good thing, but if it went that way, and melted down into groundwater, would it meet the predictions of the Russians????

According to the documentary I'm watching, the worst case scenario would have been the lava reaching water. Lets face it, Chernobyl was worse case enough as it was.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Wow.
It is almost like someone is admitting they have a radiation problem in Japan.
Anyone think that the radiation suddenly reared its ugly head?
I think the authorities just can't hide it anymore. Too bad the people weren't told from the beginning.

Nah. It's just the wind is blowing onshore now and will until Tuesday. When the winds shift back out to sea we will see in "improvement" in the situation.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
NEWS ADVISORY: Work to restore power at No. 1, 2, 3, 4 reactors at nuke plant resumed (10:22)

link

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So exactly how screwed is Japan here and the rest of the world?

When I go to the news sites I am not seeing any "new" news on this.

Raist

link   
Holy crap, talk about choking on my cookies i was eating. 1,600 times normal 20km from the plant??

What the heck is it AT the plant?

link   
Just for reference, here's the latest TEPCO release (not available yet in English) ...
[Note: No new releases yet from NISA or JAIF]

News and conditions in plants Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (now 9:00 am March 22)

As always with the "Google-Translated to Engrish" versions, it hard to spot anything truely "new".

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
And meanwhile OBAMA wants WW3 in the Middle East. Seems to me like someone is trying very hard to make this 2012 thing come true. To them (the rich people who control it all) I say F U. Signed, average Joe. Ps, CNN, the master's of the cover-up anounced earlier that the problems at the Japan nuclear plant could go on for months after sparsely a word on the subject over the past few days. Now we really know its serious. CNN will do anything to protect Obama even if it means switching back and forth between Libya and Japan to suit they're best interests of protecting the president. CNN is so damn corrupt. I am on the West Coast of North America in Vancouver btw.
edit on 21-3-2011 by tomjones69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2011 by tomjones69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The IAEA testing was done yesterday

Measurement of gamma dose rate and beta-gamma contamination were taken on 20 March at more locations. The dose-rate results ranged from 2-160 microsieverts per hour, which compares to a typical natural background level of around 0.1 microsieverts per hour. High levels of beta-gamma contamination have been measured between 16-58 km from the plant. Available results show contamination ranging from 0.2-0.9 MBq per square metre.

iaea.org...

160 μSv for prolonged periods would be considered dangerous. 18 hours exposure would be about equivalent to a mammogram.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Measurement of gamma dose rate and beta-gamma contamination were taken on 20 March at more locations. The dose-rate results ranged from 2-160 microsieverts per hour, which compares to a typical natural background level of around 0.1 microsieverts per hour. High levels of beta-gamma contamination have been measured between 16-58 km from the plant. Available results show contamination ranging from 0.2-0.9 MBq per square metre.

iaea.org...

160 μSv for prolonged periods would be considered dangerous. 18 hours exposure would be about equivalent to a mammogram.

Please explain in simplest terms how this explains or relates to the JUST BREAKING report that radiation levels have risen to 1,600 times normal 20 km from the plant?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

iaea.org...

Here is quote from that IAEA link above that caught my eye-

High levels of beta-gamma contamination have been measured between 16-58 km from the plant.

What they mean by 'high' levels, I don't know. But as far as 58 km away! They have only so far evacuated at 20 km. Many people are going to eventually get sick and die from this, especially children.

edit on 21-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The dose-rate results ranged from 2-160 microsieverts per hour, which compares to a typical natural background level of around 0.1 microsieverts per hour.

160 μSv = 1,600 x 0.1μSv

I have no idea why it is listed as "just breaking". The report was posted on the IAEA website today at 15:30 UTC, 10 hours ago.

edit on 3/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
Just saw this "flash" on Kyodo news ...

NEWS ADVISORY: External power source connected to No. 1 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi plant (08:59)

Sorry, it's a Java embed, I don't see how to link to it directly.

The story behind that "flash" on Kyodo News' site became available a few minutes ago ...

[Kyodo News] External power source connected to Fukushima plant's No. 1 reactor

Here's a snippet:

An external power source became available Monday night for the No. 1 reactor at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, paving the way for electricity to be supplied to the reactor, its operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Tuesday.

The external power source is now available for four of the six reactors at the nuclear power plant, which was crippled by the devastating earthquake and tsunami on March 11 and causing radiation leaks. The four are the No. 1, 2, 5, and 6 reactors.

But operations to restore power supply to the plant and spray water to cool overheated spent fuel rod pools have not been resumed due to steam and smoke from the plant.

edit on 2011-3-21 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The dose-rate results ranged from 2-160 microsieverts per hour, which compares to a typical natural background level of around 0.1 microsieverts per hour.

160 μSv = 1,600 x 0.1 160 μSv

I have no idea why it is listed as "just breaking". The report was posted on the IAEA website today at 15:30 UTC.

I just now posted it from the Kyodo news ticker. It was shown as 'breaking news'.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
Holy crap, talk about choking on my cookies i was eating. 1,600 times normal 20km from the plant??

What the heck is it AT the plant?

MOX fuel dude. MOX fuel. Sorry for the wiki link mods... but is as good explanation as any.

Like has been said many times before on this thread.... very very bad stuff.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
That much radiation purged into the environment for how much longer?

This is very bad for everyone...
edit on 21-3-2011 by xXHORUSXx because: redundancy

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the formulated explanation, and as for the rest, I suppose it only exposes the intentional lapse in reporting from Japanese official news... If it is just breaking there now, imagine how bad it could be when they get the next report.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXHORUSXx
1600 x 0.1= 160

Someone please tell me if this is wrong -- by my understanding, this exceeds the maximum daily dose at about half an hour of exposure?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Kyodo News 'Ticker' [RSS Feed]

NEWS ADVISORY: Work to restore power at No. 1, 2, 3, 4 reactors at nuke plant resumed (10:22)

Keeping an eye out for the 'real' article that will show-up for this, but it is available in the RSS URL.

top topics

<< 277  278  279    281  282  283 >>

join