It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 273.htm
<< 270  271  272    274  275  276 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I am still behind but see what has been happening today.

Redneck, did you ever state your opinion on the affects for surrounding areas besides Japan? Alaska, hawaii, West Coast, etc. etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Breaking News - U.S. Military Evacuation

Two US Navy ships pulled out of the Japanese base at Yokosuka due to fears over rising radiation, Fox News Channel reported Monday.

The USS George Washington and the USS Lassen left the base, which is located south of Tokyo, as a precautionary measure "to ensure a state of readiness in the long term for the defense of Japan," the US Navy said in a statement.

The USS George Washington, which is a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, was removed from the area for regularly scheduled maintenance, a military official told Fox News. The USS Lassen is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here is what I think that the fuel rods look like in number three.

I was talking with my instructor a few minutes ago redneck and he believes that a meltdown either happened or is seriously taking place. He is mainly going with the molten pool at the bottom of the containment housing(lack of the proper term sorry). He suggested entombment last week. They should have already been building this thing. I think that the Japanese think they can still save the place. I also believe that it needs to be under a better hunk of steel then Chernobyl, that is for sure.

Thank you Zorgon. I borrowed your Chernobyl pic.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Just syncing'up on press-releases, some of these may be posted already ....

Latest (English) JAIF release (#21) ...
Reactor Status and Major Events Update 21 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 22:00 March 21 [PDF/English]

Latest (English) NISA release (#40) ...
Seismic Damage Information(the 40th Release)(As of 21:00 March 21th, 2011) [PDF/English]

Latest (Japanese) TEPCO release (about smoke at #3) ...
Smoke on the occurrence of machine building from the southeast roof Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station No. 3
[PDF/Japanese] [Google-Translated to Engrish]

Latest (Japanese) TEPCO release (general, already posted before) ...
News and conditions in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Plant (currently 12:30 pm on March 21)
[PDF/Japanese] [Google-Translated to Engrish]

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's all very well saying we need to entomb it and fill it with concrete but there is a rather major flaw with that plan.

To make conctete you need, sand, cement, water and batching plants you also need road infrastructure to transport it and machinery to pump and lay it at the other end.

Also, if helicopters can't get close enough to drop water in the plants there is no way a concrete pump is going anywhere near it.

Sadly, I think the whole concrete thing is pretty much a non starter for now.

MR

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the possibilty of a mass explosion in one reactor that would be large enough to then blow up all of the reactors and thus as a worst case scenario emit radiation on an unheard of and massive scale. I believe this is possible.. If this is possible then they had better get to work on entombing imo. Any thoughts on whether this is possible, ty.
edit on 21-3-2011 by tomjones69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I am absolutely sick inside. I understand about honor and never admitting defeat but we are seeing reports that radiation is worse than they suspected, has contaminated food, etc. So many are going to perish. Redneck, thank you for being a very constant and knowledgeable voice in this thread! My gut has told me since the first day this was going to end very poorly. I still hope it is wrong! I can admit defeat, I love being proven wrong as long as everyone involved is safe, sound and lives a long healthy life!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

At the risk of 'not helping' some more... this was game over days ago. Japan and TEPCO just refuse to accept it.

Again, let it melt down, let it go as fast as it can... it will cool by itself in a short time if that is done, and it can be entombed. In the meantime, don't waste your time trying to do the impossible... get the people out! Monitor the radiation at the highest levels, alert, get international aid to the seaports, choppers to airlift out where the seaports are destroyed... any help needed was there from the start.

We had a warship there within, what? 24 hours?

China and Russia are closer, and both offered any aid they could give.

EVACUATE!!!! GET OUT!!!!

This was not Godzilla; this was not a fight that could be won. Radiation doesn't bleed. Now it's become a comedy of errors, with a cast of hundreds of thousands, possibly millions.

TheRedneck

Well, wait a minute. I would like about 50 Tokyo Electric guys to stay around and keep an eye
on reactors 5 and 6. Power restored and looking good.

They could spend 90% of their time in a safe building with sheets of lead on the walls.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go ahead and entomb reactors 1,2,3 & 4. Put a nice roof on top and call it a day.
Buy new Geiger counters at United Nuclear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a positive note: the Fukushima II plant just a few miles to the south got hit with the same
Tsunami wave and survived. Apparently, Tokyo Electric replicated and optimized the design
down there. I found Fukushima II first while on Google Earth then went up the coast and
found Fukushima I.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Breaking News - U.S. Military Evacuation

Two US Navy ships pulled out of the Japanese base at Yokosuka due to fears over rising radiation, Fox News Channel reported Monday.

The USS George Washington and the USS Lassen left the base, which is located south of Tokyo, as a precautionary measure "to ensure a state of readiness in the long term for the defense of Japan," the US Navy said in a statement.

The USS George Washington, which is a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, was removed from the area for regularly scheduled maintenance, a military official told Fox News. The USS Lassen is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.
www.foxnews.com...

Can you say spin? lmfao

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

All you need is several hundred thousand "volunteers".

Just like they did at Chernobyl. Somebody can get the job done, but I believe that it would have to be the last resort. I believe the military can handle it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I wonder why there seems to be a real lack of ingenuity being implemented in the cooling efforts. And why is there no talk of cranes coming to the site aswell and materials for covering these up. If they plan to cover it like chernobyl the process is not a speedy one, this would take alot more then boron and concrete. Massive steal forms were used to case it all in. These would be enormous thus the need of crane/cranes and would have to be built onsite. Also instead of just using a hose in the cooling efforts why not weld some pipe and attach hoses to pipe so as to have the water flow start to flow closer to target. You could even mount a camera to the pipe if you really wanna have yourself a look. If you did that you could also manipulate the pipe to aim the water. How you gonna do that? Well if a crane was there it would be easy. but ladders from fire trucks might work too. Then again if a crane was there and you just wanted a look it could lower a cam in no problem or rig one up to a ladder and lower it. See what I mean? . Something just seems funny. Then again im just a kid.
edit on 21-3-2011 by 5StarOracle because: doh

edit on 21-3-2011 by 5StarOracle because: ?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle

Also instead of just using a hose in the cooling efforts why not weld some pipe and attach hoses to pipe so as to have the water flow start to flow closer to target. You could even mount a camera to the pipe if you really wanna have yourself a look. If you did that you could also manipulate the pipe to aim the water. How you gonna do that? Well if a crane was there it would be easy. but ladders from fire trucks might work too. Then again if a crane was there and you just wanted a look it could lower a cam in no problem or rig one up to a ladder and lower it. See what I mean. Something just seems funny. Then again im just a kid.
edit on 21-3-2011 by 5StarOracle because: doh

They are using a crane.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

I dont think so, its not spin.

Whats spin about it?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Again, let it melt down, let it go as fast as it can... it will cool by itself in a short time if that is done, and it can be entombed. In the meantime, don't waste your time trying to do the impossible... get the people out! Monitor the radiation at the highest levels, alert, get international aid to the seaports, choppers to airlift out where the seaports are destroyed... any help needed was there from the start.

Tons of radioactive fuel, critical full runaway reaction meltdown temps from 3,000 to 5,000 degrees F. will cool itself in a short time?

I have reason to believe that given the fuel in these reactor cores, that if it does (god forbid) go to a worst case meltdown, it will melt through the containment structure and right into the earth, where it will make contact with a large underground water source, and it will erupt/explode similar to a volcano, ejecting extremely radioactive particulates into the atmosphere by the tons... Until it eventually cools and stops.

There is hundreds of tons of active fuel in these reactors. A lot more than was in the Russian reactor meltdown years ago... In fact comparing this potential worst case to that is like comparing a firecracker to a MOAB! in my opinion.

Giving up, and walking away from this one, regardless of the risks and perhaps suicidal work required is simply NOT an option.

link   
reply to post by lardo5150

Many times, but I will state it again:

There is absolutely no cause for any concern anywhere in the world except northern Japan at this time!

TheRedneck

link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

Also instead of just using a hose in the cooling efforts why not weld some pipe and attach hoses to pipe so as to have the water flow start to flow closer to target.

I would not want to be the one welding this pipe. I was just welding six inch schedule 80 a few minutes ago. You couldn't pay me enough. The only way I would ever do that, is if my kids lives were in serious danger. Then yeah, I would go on a one way mission.
edit on 21-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: schedule

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Until the reactions slow, you cannot cap a meltdown with concrete... it will simply melt it away as you pour. This thing is hot, extremely hot, and will continue to get hotter.

There is also the logistic problem of getting all that material and all those workers into an area which is probably too radioactive to work in, even with suits.

Entombment will be the result, I'm sure, but we're not there yet. We're too busy drawing this thing out so we can spread the radiation better.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
video of work at fukushima seen from the ground, taken from one of the trucks, you can see the plants and their state too

there doesn't seem to be much left at all of n.3

edit on 21-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That I didnt know... have not seen anything from there since the operations start for no fly zone. just knew they had trucks there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
I wonder why there seems to be a real lack of ingenuity being implemented in the cooling efforts.

I wouldn't say that. They're using everything they can get their hand's on. In some cases, depending what they are trying to cool (containment vessel, reactor pressure vessel, cooling-pond, etc.) it requires different access methods (using existing pipes/pumps -vs- external hosing, etc.). They're really giving it the full Godzilla-treatment (sorry, I had to).

As far as getting equipment on-site goes (cranes or whatever), there was a post yesterday about SDF tanks (modified with bulldozer-type blades on the front) being brought-in to clear more debris, etc. to provide more working room. Even being near the buildings for Unit #3 and Unit #4 has been dangerous (if not deadly) at various points - as emissions go up/down.

new topics

<< 270  271  272    274  275  276 >>

join