It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 272.htm
<< 269  270  271    273  274  275 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Furthering speculation then...

If they did indeed supply electric power days ago when reported, and discovered these issues, and are unable to repair/replace in time... It is literally game over?

I am looking for any shred of hope left here Redneck, you aren't helping.

There has to be some way to get consistent and constant cooling to these reactor cores.. Hoses and drops (dumps) are a waste of time.

Scary.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by iWokeUp

So it doesn't matter whether the power is coming from the grid or from generators; the corrosion in the circuits is causing it to be used in the connections rather than in the loads.

TheRedneck

Ahh i see......but if they had used generators 10 days ago when it all happened instead of wasting time connecting extension leads for miles and miles and corroding the electrics with more sea water, surely they could have sorted all this out days ago?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I swear I saw a crane and a concrete truck in that picture that you linked to.

Now all they need are a couple of those ASIMO robots to operate them,

edit on 21-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MoonandStar

I suspect you are right about delaying the inevitable.. but my question would be - is that actually making things worse?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Kailassa

I swear I saw a crane and a concrete truck in that picture that you linked to.

Now all they need are a couple of those ASIMO robots to operate them,

edit on 21-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

As far as I can tell, that's one of the cranes used for transporting spent fuel into one of the pools... not sure if it would be accessible enough for dropping in generators... but the problem is that they still need people inside to connect those generators, which as Redneck has mentioned would probably still require trained military personnel, and even transporting the generators to the area.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Latest from IAEA:

Unit 1
On 19 March, the containment vessel pressure indication was restored.

Unit 2
On 20 March, workers began pumping 40 tonnes of seawater into the spent fuel pool.

Unit 3
White smoke has been seen emerging from the reactor, but on 19 March it appeared to be less intense than in previous days.

Unit 4
Authorities remain concerned about the condition of the spent fuel pool, and Japanese Self Defence Forces began spraying water into the building on 20 March.

Units 5 & 6
As of 20 March, temperatures in both pools had decreased significantly.

iaea.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ya phage, most of that sounds good, like things are getting under control, but the latest news blurb, is Workers flee Japan nuclear plant as smoke rises

no workers there, things get out of control again?!?

www.ktvb.com...

this story is like being on a roller coaster.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Can you source this please? Didn't see a link in your last post reporting this.

ETA: ah, you linked it, thanks. Been a rise in unsourced headlines lately.
edit on 21-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

At this point, I wouldn't be doing anything outside of evacuating the entire northern third of Japan, possibly to include Tokyo, to wherever I could. Of course, I doubt I would have ever gotten to this point. I would have abandoned the plant as soon as the explosion in #3 happened and started massive evacuations. We would be close to being able to entomb it by now, with much less widespread radiation contamination.

There are some things you just can't do. You can't put out the sun. You can't block gravity. You can't change the speed of light. And you can't stop a nuclear meltdown in progress.

So far everything they have done has made it worse. The venting caused hydrogen explosions. The seawater corroded the electrical systems and caused tons of radioactive steam to be released above the plant (which is where all that spinach and milk contamination is coming from). Restoring power has managed to star at least one fire.

We're done. The gamble lost. Now get away from the blasted thing!

Someday, we will be able to entomb it like Chernobyl, and attempts to clean up can begin. But so far, everything that has happened has delayed that day, while releasing more radiation to the population.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I read an article someone posted earlier after the evac, and if I remember correctly is said they evacuated a rather large group of people being trained to spray concrete, not water. Did anyone else catch that? I spent a few mins going back over the posts but didn't see it right away.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If there is radiation being found in the seawater, and as another report stated that it was found in tap water, it makes me think potentially the reactor not only melted down, but managed to get into the water table.

With all the seawater they have been spraying around, for them to get any chance of re-storing power, they will completely need to re-wire/re-install a lot of components.

Getting frustrated at how hard it is to find information ever since the Libya attacks began.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
reply to post by Phage

ya phage, most of that sounds good, like things are getting under control, but the latest news blurb, is Workers flee Japan nuclear plant as smoke rises

no workers there, things get out of control again?!?

www.ktvb.com...

this story is like being on a roller coaster.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

What caused the smoke to billow first from Unit 3 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant and later from Unit 2 is under investigation, nuclear safety agency officials said. Still, in the days since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami wrecked the plant's cooling systems, both reactors have overheated and seen explosions. Workers were evacuated from the area to buildings nearby, though radiation levels remained steady, the officials said.

Hmm... they said 'flee', but that sounds like an attempt at being sensational. They were evacuated, but it seems that with the smoke subsiding they have / will return to work.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

At this point, I wouldn't be doing anything outside of evacuating the entire northern third of Japan, possibly to include Tokyo, to wherever I could. Of course, I doubt I would have ever gotten to this point. I would have abandoned the plant as soon as the explosion in #3 happened and started massive evacuations. We would be close to being able to entomb it by now, with much less widespread radiation contamination.

Not to sound cynical, but history tells us the Japanese have a hard time admitting defeat, which can be debated, to a point as a vice for this culture perhaps, as history tells us.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Latest Press Release From NISA

Everything is not ok, its not under control!

Major updates are as follows.
1. Nuclear Power Stations (NPS)
 Fukushima Dai-ichi NPS
・ White smoke generated from Unit 2 (18:22 March 21st).
・ Grayish smoke generated from Unit 3 (At around 15:55 March 21st). Thereafter the smoke was confirmed to be died down (17:55 March 21st).www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You can't rely on ANY news being supplied by the Japanese gvt. or plant owner/operators period.

Their greatest priority is to control information and conflict so as to prevent panic. The Japanese are reluctant to concede to failure, even more so to admit it. That will never change, it is just the way they are, and the way they do things over there. You can't expect transparency or accurate reports.

If they admitted to the actual severity, and risks mass panic on the island could potentially kill more people than radiation exposure... They are obviously being very careful and less than forthcoming with real information for this reason. So, one needs to look for alternative sources, and there aren't many, because most are relying on the Japanese government, and plant owners for news and information.

Just scroll through a few pages of this thread, and see how many conflicting reports you can find from various sources on just about any page.

For all we know, which isn't much, it could either be far worse, or better than what is actually being reported.

Bottom line, we have to find our own answers.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It looks like a Readymix concrete truck to me!!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Yes it does.

Maybe they are a bit closer to entombment than they are telling us.

link   
Just been searching the net for real time radioactive monitoring sites in japan and found a couple that might interest a few people here.

RTDN.ORG

and some useful info here

Pachube.com

link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

At the risk of 'not helping' some more... this was game over days ago. Japan and TEPCO just refuse to accept it.

Again, let it melt down, let it go as fast as it can... it will cool by itself in a short time if that is done, and it can be entombed. In the meantime, don't waste your time trying to do the impossible... get the people out! Monitor the radiation at the highest levels, alert, get international aid to the seaports, choppers to airlift out where the seaports are destroyed... any help needed was there from the start.

We had a warship there within, what? 24 hours?

China and Russia are closer, and both offered any aid they could give.

EVACUATE!!!! GET OUT!!!!

This was not Godzilla; this was not a fight that could be won. Radiation doesn't bleed. Now it's become a comedy of errors, with a cast of hundreds of thousands, possibly millions.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If i'm not mistaken TEPCO was on the verge of complete evacuation of the plant and the prime minister of Japan told them that retreat was not an option.... hence the efforts we are seeing now. But early on i think TEPCO saw the situation as a lost cause and only at the DEMAND of the government have they continued to try to salvage the situation.

Soul

new topics

top topics

<< 269  270  271    273  274  275 >>

join