It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 270.htm
<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good morning everyone.

I'm really amazed at how Japan has mastered the art of fire-making. That smoke from Reactor #3, when there is no danger of meltdown and no heat source or electricity inside the plant, is an amazing feat of technology.

I always thought you needed ignition or high heat to start a fire. Guess I was wrong.

Or....

We could always take the more realistic train of thought and say that since there is smoke, there is fire; since there is fire, there was ignition; if there was ignition, there had to be a spark or high heat; in the absence of electricity to make a spark, there was and probably still is high heat; if there is high heat inside a damaged reactor building, it could be due to radioactive decay.

Nah, that makes too much sense. TEPCO knows better than we do.

(The above post in no way attempts to describe actuality nor reality. It is presented as an exercise in sarcasm, a peculiar aspect of the English language that attempts to show facts via lies. Any TEPCO officials visiting ATS should be aware that no warranty is made or implied as to compliance with any agendas they may or may not ascribe to.)

Yeah, I'm in a mood today.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

If we had a squib explosion then it would be equivalent to the fallout from a small yeild A-bomb.

The Plutonium component would be very deadly as a condensed vapour.

Most fallout components are, fortunately, heavy and so don't remain in the atmosphere for long. It is unlikely that a radioactive plume would reach the United States due to the nature of fallout.

Where the fallout does fall, however, will be poisoned for a long time (nearly a century based on bomb tests & other accident data).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I always thought you needed ignition or high heat to start a fire. Guess I was wrong.

according to Kyodo, just plain water is enough
-

The Tokyo Fire Department stopped spraying water for the day after the smoke rose from the No. 3 reactor building. It will suspend the operation until safety at the site is confirmed

also, it wasn't the only "smoking" reactor today -

TEPCO subsequently found that white smoke was rising through a crack in the roof of the building that houses the No. 2 reactor at around 6:20 p.m. The utility said later the smoke is believed to be steam, not from the reactor's fuel pool.

But the #2 was already connected to electricity

Before the smoke was detected, external power had reached the power-receiving facilities of the No. 2 and No. 5 reactors on Sunday, clearing the way for the plant operator to restore systems to monitor radiation levels and other data, light the control rooms and cool down the reactors and their spent-fuel storage pools.

Full article here - english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 21-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110320D20JF510.htm

note the range - 100 km....

keep constant monitors on weather - rain, snow and wind...

Monday, March 21, 2011

Spinach With Radiation 27 Times Higher Than Limit Found In Japan

TOKYO (Kyodo)--Spinach with radioactive iodine 27 times more than the government-regulated limit was found in the city of Hitachi in Ibaraki Prefecture, more than 100 kilometers south of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, but the radiation levels do not affect human health, local authorities said Sunday.

(...)

In 1 kilogram of spinach grown in open air in the city, 54,000 becquerels of iodine was detected, exceeding the 2,000 becquerel limit preliminarily set by the government under the food sanitation law, the Ibaraki prefectural government said.

The level of cesium in the spinach grown in the city was also higher at 1,931 becquerels, compared to the limit of 500 becquerels.

The level of iodine in the spinach grown in open air in Kitaibaraki city in Ibaraki, around 75 kilometers south of the nuclear plant, was 24,000 becquerels, 12 times more than the limit of 2,000 becquerels. A cesium level of 690 becquerels, 190 more than the limit, was also found in the spinach, which was taken for investigation Friday.

(...)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Every time the crews pull back, and their cooling efforts stop, it only gets worse....

Something else to consider, the control rods in the reactor core were shoved into place automatically when the earthquake happened, these rods, and the little water cooling they have been doing is all that stands between the fuel rods and a complete meltdown, IF (I hate that word, but the Japanese leave us only IFs to work with) the control rods have melted, then there really isn't any way for them to effectively cool the core and prevent catastrophic meltdown with hoses... Unless they can somehow get the main high volume pumps running by supplying electricity to them (assuming they are in working condition) the only thing they can do is buy time... But for what?

FYI, a catastrophic meltdown will have far reaching impact, and global implications.

Japan will likely be devastated. People will get sick and die, not only in Japan... despite claims to the contrary.

Not to mention, the already worsening environmental effects..

The bird that flies near the plant, lands and contaminates a tree, dies, the animals that eat the bird, and spreads from there through the food chain... Plants soil... and sea life... Years from now= extinctions, mutations and more stuff.

They have GOT to get electricity to the main pumps and get them running NOW, as in yesterday... Or else!

Personally, if I were in Japan now regardless of what the government is saying, I would get OUT of there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Sadly you are right.

Problem with the world is, they have been told to think positiv, ignoring the negativ.
So now everyone is trying to figure out, how this could happen, when they where positiv all the time.

AArgh! I have to stay positiv

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Ya I hear ya. I have this story in one ear, and in my other I am listening to the madness in the Middle east. I mean the middle east is going crazy right now. Besides man made disasters and Natural I am just wondering how it will all look in a year or two.

Sheesh.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
I don't trust TEPCO, but the guys at the NRC think none of the containment vessels are breached

NRC: Containment at 3 reactors in Japan currently intact, situation appears to be stabilizing By Associated Press, Monday, March 21 ROCKVILLE, Md. — The Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff says containment at three reactors at Japan’s crippled nuclear complex is currently intact and the situation at the plant appears to be stabilizing. 0The NRC met to get an update from staff on the ongoing crisis in Japan and devise a plan to meet President Barack Obama’s call for a comprehensive safety review at the 104 U.S. nuclear reactors. Bill Borchardt, the commission’s executive director for operations, says that units 1, 2 and 3 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant have some core damage but that containment for those three reactors is not currently breached. He says the situation at the plant appear to be on the verge of stabilizing. NRC staff is in Tokyo conferring with Japanese government and industry officials on the disaster. www.washingtonpost.com... l

The NRC have always been in the pockets of the nuclear power industry.
Their prime concern is to further the profits and scope of the industry, and so they act as the mouthpiece for the industry rather than making sure they give out correct data.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

Thank you so much for those answers! But I am curious then why they were talking so much about the fuel rods in #2, as if there were more, or possibly more in danger, perhaps?

Perhaps because the fuel rods in reactors 1, 3 and 4 are already a lost cause.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by Wertwog

If we had a squib explosion then it would be equivalent to the fallout from a small yeild A-bomb.

The Plutonium component would be very deadly as a condensed vapour.

Most fallout components are, fortunately, heavy and so don't remain in the atmosphere for long. It is unlikely that a radioactive plume would reach the United States due to the nature of fallout.

Where the fallout does fall, however, will be poisoned for a long time (nearly a century based on bomb tests & other accident data).

I do not believe them one bit. Not only do I believe it travels as other metals can and do. I've read stuff from China got here, but I also read tons of pdfs on mox fuel and we're all contaminated with PU with all their atmospheric testing for decades They find this stuff in teeth and autopsy records. The highest level of PU testing was in 1963. My thyroid is 100% non functioning and have been asked how I got radiated before. i was born in 63.

It builds up in the soil, silt, oceans, water, and never goes away. It relifts itself up and is carried on the weather even more, re-disembursement.

I'm not going to sacrifice hours to provide all of that, I scan documents fast to get to the good parts, but it all starts with Manhatten Project stuff and then to pdfs, including a European study done for some Gov there.

Here is another thing. They said that that plume would reach us on Friday. Then on Saturday France estimations were that they were in the Atlantic already and in fact, the Shroom explosion, the second one, reached us Tues -wednesday.

With no warnings, people out and about, flash rains and the chlorine pool smell.

I don't think there is much of a reactor at 3, I suspect its a metled lava pool myself.

They admitted to their being PU in all the reactors. I provided a link and quote and someone said where does it say that. They assume the plutoinium in all the reactors meant it was in the containment units, or did they reason the fuel in the fuel rods. Since it means, the fuel in the fuel rods...........Short and simple, they're all mox. Thats why Japan has the biggest stache of mox other than Fance its supplier, enough for 60 nukes.

Japans attitude is: there is a dangerous level of radiation in their water and food, and only to wash with this water, not drink it (though I wonder what 126 million people are supposed to drink then). But there is no danger and everything is well and safe. Who would trust that?

edit on 21-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The incompetence of this would be laughable if it weren't poised to be the most tragic thing ever! I get discouraged over how many people like to believe TPTB purposely want to see mankind fall apart. Then something like this happens? There is no possible way being in Japan right now is safe! These fools should have done something drastic to shut all this down several days ago. It not only looks highly suspicious, it feels highly suspicious. I am not a fear monger but this is not good!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I was willing to think positive days ago, when they were reporting that at any moment they would have electricity supplied to the reactor pumps, and this crisis would end.

That hasn't happened yet... And it may be too late, depending on the unknown condition of the reactor core control rods.

This is getting very close to a worst case nightmare becoming reality.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

TEPCO says everything is under control, nothing to worry about. They would never bend the truth now would they? Pay no attention to that "harmless" smoke coming from the reactor.

At this point there is nothing left to do but to step back and watch this this play out. I don't think there is any saving it but I hope I am wrong. I will say that the Japanese are certainly tenacious. They are still in there fighting.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This NY Times Article from today has updates . One bit was curious to me :

Hundreds of employees from the Tokyo Electric Power Company, which owns the disabled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, worked through the weekend to connect a mile-long high-voltage transmission line to Reactor No. 2 in hopes of restarting a cooling system that would help bring down the temperature in the reactor and spent fuel pool.

After connecting the transmission line on Sunday, engineers found on Monday that they still did not have enough power to fully run the systems that control the temperature and pressure in the building that houses the reactor, officials from the Japanese nuclear safety agency said.

How can you not have enough power when the cables were supposed to be getting powered by the main grid

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

They are having problems supplying power to the grid with all those nuke plants down, and have been doing rolling blackouts, but.....

There isn't any reason that the power company couldn't divert what they need to that location, for that sort of emergency, if they really have the cables connected........

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

An electric motor (such as is used to run pumps, operate valves, etc.) will draw more power as it slows down under load. So it is possible that they have motors drawing extra power to compensate for extra mechanical loading.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Right after the great tsunami hit and the first explosion took place on the plant, they completely lost control of everyting there. They are desperately trying to delay the inevitable now.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Oh, and there is another possibility... I just remembered they have been pumping seawater into a hot plant! Seawater is salty, and a combination of salt and heat will corrode connections at an amazing rate. So it's also possible they have full power coming in but are losing power due to all the corrosion in the electrical systems.

ETA: that would also create a lot of heat and smoke...

TheRedneck

edit on 3/21/2011 by TheRedneck because: *eyes only*

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I have just checked up on the jet stream near Japan.

As per the preceeding Wikipedia article, the subtropical jet stream was used by Japan during the war to carry "fire balloons" over the US.

If the plume went high enough, it is possible that some of the lighter elemnts could reach the East Coast of the US.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague on details here as Meterology is not my forte.

Jet Stream wind speeds are normally between 92 to 398 km/h which averages to 291 km/h, the distance Tokyo to New York is 10,878 km. It is, therefore likely that any radioactive fallout could take just over 37 hours to reach there.

Nuclear Fallout - Wikipedia.

edit on 21/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

With no warnings, people out and about, flash rains and the chlorine pool smell.

I will say this one more time:

RADIATION. DOES. NOT. SMELL. LIKE.

ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

edit on 21-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: formatting

top topics

<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join