It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 266.htm
<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Is there ANYTHING knew?

Can someone give me a summary as I have not
been able to get on ATS today and am a bit
out of the loop on the Japan crisis.

It's all about Libya now.

I thought they got generators to 5 and 6

maybe a meltdown in 4...

The nuclear disaster over?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Ah, so no nuke plant there, just monitoring?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
reply to post by liejunkie01

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Just for clarification. I see that the quoted text says micro sievert and I believe that the rating is milli. I believe that the reading should be 0.2 milli sieverts. I don't know if anyone cares, but it took me a minute to get this straight the other day. I hope I am right.

Here is the geiger counter in question, blown up, lightened, and sharpened:

Loos like microSieverts μSv to me.

]

I must be seeing something different then. Because I see msv/h at the top of the device.

Does this reading msv/h not mean milli sievers an hour?

EDIT: the blown up picture is too pixelated. I cannot tell. It still looks like a m to me.
edit on 21-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: EDIT

EDIT AGAIN: If not, way to double check the double checker.

edit on 21-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: AGAIN

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
Ah, so no nuke plant there, just monitoring?

Yep.
Seems that way.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
Is there ANYTHING knew?

Nothing much "new". Not really any better or worse either I suppose.
They are working hard on getting outside power to all of the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant (where all the "issues" are currently centered).
Looks like reactors #5 and #6 (which are separated from the other 4 by some distance) have outside and/or on-site generator power, and have/or are being cooled down to normal-for-shutdown.
They are indicating success also connecting #1 and #2, but it's not clear if they have actually gotten the pumps turned-on yet, using that outside power. Of course, #2 reportedly may have larger damage - possibly including a "breach".
Reactors #3 and #4 are still not connected to outside power, and that's where the focus of all the water-spraying/dumping has been. It's not clear if they can connect-up and power-up pumps at those two buildings, due to the amount of damage they have sustained. Also not sure the extent of damage to #3's internal structure (reactor core intact?).
They have also indicated they are pumping (via external hoses, etc.) water into all the related cooling-ponds, etc.
However, communication on all those details is still a little sketchy.

Does that help?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
reply to post by liejunkie01

Just for clarification. I see that the quoted text says micro sievert and I believe that the rating is milli. I believe that the reading should be 0.2 milli sieverts. I don't know if anyone cares, but it took me a minute to get this straight the other day. I hope I am right.

Here is the geiger counter in question, blown up, lightened, and sharpened:

Loos like microSieverts μSv to me.

]

I must be seeing something different then. Because I see msv/h at the top of the device.

Does this reading msv/h not mean milli sievers an hour?

EDIT: the blown up picture is too pixelated. I cannot tell. It still looks like a m to me.
edit on 21-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: EDIT

EDIT AGAIN: If not, way to double check the double checker.

edit on 21-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: AGAIN

I just looked up the Radex owner's manual. The news photo is showing microSieverts (μSv).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
I just looked up the Radex owner's manual. The news photo is showing microSieverts (μSv).

So, that would be bad then?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Has anyone seen any interviews of the workers being rotated out? I know there was some of the workers going in..etc..
and with the number of workers way past the 50 brave souls that went in first...has any words from those returning out made it to the press?

edit on 21-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: typo

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Thank you for clarifying that for me. It looked like a "m" to me. My bad.

I am not believing anything coming from msm. I have doubts about everything they are saying. One minute it is all over, the next minute, we have to release steam into the atmosphere. I believe they are either grossly neglegent of the facts of the situation, or they are covering up the severity. Again just my opinion here.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

So, that would be bad then?

No. That would be good. Much lower than I first thought. Check here for dose examples.
edit on 21-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

reply to post by MedievalGhost

Thank you for clarifying that for me. It looked like a "m" to me. My bad.

I am not believing anything coming from msm. I have doubts about everything they are saying. One minute it is all over, the next minute, we have to release steam into the atmosphere. I believe they are either grossly neglegent of the facts of the situation, or they are covering up the severity. Again just my opinion here.

You have every right to question msm.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Haven't heard any more details. There are various mentions in the TEPCO, and NISA pres-releases about various injuries to personnel. But, it's hard to know which people it's all in reference to.

I did notice, there is a Fukushima 50 Wikipedia Page now. So, hopefully, once we can put names to numbers - it will get updated.

Obviously, hoping for the best for those people (as well as everybody else over there).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy..has any words from those returning out made it to the press?

There was one worker on NHK at about 5pm pacific today but I only caught a part of it. He had some sketches. Will have to see if they repeat it

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

ok

not to sound all morbid here...but I was really thinking TEPCO would parade some of the returning workers out to tell first hand ..how much better things are looking inside...

If indeed the doses they are getting are safe as they say...

not that I am doubting the offical story or anything :-)

some of the lyrics to an eagles song comes to mind when I think about those poor workers

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
If those are spent fuel rods wouldn't the radiation measured at the plant be much higher?

You would think so
So who do we know that can get us an accurate reading? Seems they won't release what the US Global Hawk showed Hmmmmm

You see that Chernobyl video with the Russians climbing over them?(rods)
those guys are Invincible
edit on 21-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Not much of a change really in the last 2 days. 5 & 6 seem to be okay for now, but I don't think they were in danger because they kept saying they hadn't gotten around to them yet

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by cripmeister
If those are spent fuel rods wouldn't the radiation measured at the plant be much higher?

You would think so
So who do we know that can get us an accurate reading? Seems they won't release what the US Global Hawk showed Hmmmmm

edit on 21-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

I logged back on for a minute just to say that I am curious as to why they have not released the Global Hawk video also. This is more cicumstantial evidence to my theory that they do not want us to see something. An example is the photo that you posted that looks like fuel rods.

If they did not release the GH overhead footage. Then why did they release all of the other pics? Here is the thread I made about that one overhead photo. I believe that it all smells fishy. If it is nothing, then it is nothing, but I have a funny feeling about some of these photos released.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Here's another TEPCO press-release in English ...

Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 9:00 AM Mar 21st) [English]

Regarding Reactor #1

-We have been injecting sea water into the reactor pressure vessel.

Regarding Reactor #2

-We completed receiving electricity from the external transmission line up to the auxiliary transformer. We installed the power cable from the transformer to the temporary power panel. At 3: 46 PM, March 20th, we started energizing the load-side power panel.

Regarding Reactor #3

-We are working on receiving external power supply to Units 3 and 4.

Regarding Reactor #4

-We are working on receiving external power supply to Units 3 and 4.

Regarding Reactor #5

At 2:30 PM, March 20th, the reactor achieved reactor cold shutdown
-At Units 5 and 6, in order to prevent hydrogen gas from accumulating within the buildings, we have made three holes on the roof of the reactor building for each unit.

Regarding Reactor #6

At 7:27 PM, March 20th, the reactor achieved reactor cold shutdown.
-At Units 5 and 6, in order to prevent hydrogen gas from accumulating within the buildings, we have made three holes on the roof of the reactor building for each unit.

Regarding spent-fuel "cooling-ponds" (all of them):

-In Unit 3, water discharge by Self-Defense Force's helicopters was conducted from 9:48 AM in the morning on March 17th. Also water discharge by the riot police's high-pressure water cannon trucks and Self-Defense Force's fire engines was conducted from 7PM on March 17th and finished at 8:09PM.
-In Unit 3, water discharge by Self-Defense Force's fire engines and US army's fire engines was conducted from 2 PM and completed a quarter to 3 PM.
-After that, from 0:30 AM, Mar 19th, water discharge by Tokyo Fire Department's Hyper Rescue was conducted to Unit 3 and completed at 1:10 AM. At around 2:10PM, water discharge by Tokyo Fire Department¡Æs Hyper Rescue to Unit 3 was conducted once again. At approximately 3:40 am, they had finished water discharge.
-At approximately 8:21 am, March 20th, water discharge to Unit 4 by fire engine has started with the cooperation of Self-Defense Forces and finished at approximately 9:40 am. At approximately 6:45 pm, March 20th water discharge to Unit 4 by Self-Defense's water cannon trucks was conducted and finished at approximately 7:45 pm.
-From 3: 05 PM to 5: 20 PM on March 20th, 40 tons of seawater was injected into Unit 2 by TEPCO employees.
-From 9:30 PM on March 20, water discharge by Tokyo Fire Department's Hyper Rescue was conducted to Unit 3 and completed at approximately 4:00 AM today.
-At approximately 6:30 AM today,, water discharge to Unit 4 was started by Self-Defense Force's fire engines and US army's fire engines and was finished at approximately 8:40 AM.
-We are considering further water discharge at Unit 3 and others subject to the conditions of spent fuel pools.

.. and further down about the "common" cooling-pool ...

-We checked the status of spent fuel in the common pool, and confirmed that the water level secured. We are planning to conduct a detailed inspection.
-We found no signs of abnormal situation for the casks by visual observation during the patrol activity. A detailed inspection is under preparation.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

This update just showed-up on the NISA site (update #38) ...
(English version not available yet, so Google-Translated/Engrish provided)

Here's the official English version of that earlier NISA press-release (#38) ...
Seismic Damage Information(the 38th Release)(As of 10:30 March 21, 2011) [English]

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Here's another TEPCO press-release in English ...

Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 9:00 AM Mar 21st) [English]

Nevermind that one, it's actually OLDER than this one, in Japanese.

edit on 2011-3-21 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join