It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 254.htm
<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Keep in mind that with any problems in the Koreas, Japan is our first point of reliance with regard to supplying our military, airlifting wounded to hospitals and ports for our ships. This is no small decision that our govt has made. Kim is certainly paying attention in NK, too.

Totally right. This is a repeat of the Korean war scenario of 1950... Hopefully Little Kim is not ``intelligent`` enough to figure it out... nor crazy enough to pull it off...

And even if they were to pull it off, China would still need to help them to win. Since the majority of the Chinese people hate the SKoreans... the Chinese government could do it.

This would be the biggest impact of the Japan's tsunami so far.

Health Ministry: Spinach from Tochigi, Gunma prefs. also exceeds legal radiation limits.

Health Ministry's Kaji: All shipments of spinach stopped from Ibaraki prefecture.

Kaji: All raw milk shipments stopped from #Fukushima-ken.

edit on 20-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCES NEEDED

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
# NEWS ADVISORY: Radioactive substance detected in 'shungiku' leaf vegetable in Chiba (22:45)

# NEWS ADVISORY: Spinach from Tochigi Pref. detected with high radioactive substance (22:32)

link

Chiba city is just east of Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Throughout this whole ordeal I have lost a lot of respect for the Japanese government and the whole system of "saving face" and downplaying disaster.

I don't like when people insult my intelligence. I don't think I will be visiting Japan in the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 20-3-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It emerged today that the plants may have to be doused with water for months before the situation is fully under control.

link

Great. Radioactive steam to be released for months while they douse the reactors with seawater.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

What?! They dumped lead in? do you have a source for that? Surely you are talking about Chernobyl... I hope you are anyway.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

The topic was whether radioactivity could be tasted.

He was talking about lead being dumped in at Chernobyl and the workers tasting it as it fumed. I was agreeing that yes those fumes would be tasted.

As far as I know they haven't done that in Japan.
edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Forecast of air movement

- Animations of expected air movement spreading radioactivity over Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

edit on 20-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by Kailassa

Workers stabilize spent fuel stored at Japanese reactor

Japanese workers, who are risking their lives attempting to cool a half-dozen crippled nuclear reactors, managed Saturday to stabilize a storage pool that holds some of the deadliest spent fuel, halting its release of radiation, the Japanese government said.

Which pool are they talking about? n.4?

No, here they are talking about reactor 3, the one using MOX fuel. (Fuel made with a mixture of recycled weapons grade plutonium.) Apparently the used MOX fuel is/was stored in the same building, directly above the reactor which uses it. That was particularly stupid because it's harder to control a reactor using MOX fuel, particularly when using ancient, 60's built reactors such as these, with inadequate containment strength.

"The worst case is, you dump more water on that spent fuel pool, and it drains," said Najmedin Meshkati, a nuclear safety expert who teaches at the University of Southern California. "And then the zirconium cladding of that fuel bundle will interact with this hot water, and it will release hydrogen. Then there may be fire or an explosion." Because part of the roof of that building has been blown off by an earlier hydrogen explosion, he said, "all of that radioactive cloud ... may get released into the environment. It's very potent."

I don't think they have to worry about another hydrogen explosion since the buildings are missing walls and roofs. Something tells me there wont be a large buildup of gasses any time soon.

Here’s a diagram of the Fukushima reactor. The brown capsule in the centre of the building houses the reactor core , contained in a separate pressure vessel that will contain the radioactive material.

You are right, the outer building is stuffed, but the primary containment, the inner pressure vessel, may still be intact enough for a build up of hydrogen to cause it to explode. Using sea-water as coolant increases the likelihood of this by increasing corrosion, and loss of coolant also causes hydrogen build-up.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Looks like Tokyo would be blanketed on Monday.

Cooling pumps still idle at imperiled Japanese reactors LATimes

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Another quote from one of the fireman on NHK last night after their time on the reactor site. One spoke of texting his wife to tell her that he was being sent to the site. His wife texted back "Go and be a savior of Japan." Has there ever been a government as good as its people?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I am already thinking ahead.. Check out the date of my thread I made..

Thanks Vitch.

www.abovetopsecret.com...]
edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: REPLY TO function to replace large quote Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
More progress. Reactors 5 and 6 are in cold shutdown.

Japan Earthquake Update (20 March 2011, 16:20 UTC)

Japanese authorities have notified the IAEA of progress at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Workers today have successfully placed reactor Unit 5 (at 05:30 UTC) and 6 (at 10:27 UTC) into cold shutdown.

This means that the reactors are in a safe mode, with cooling systems stable and under control, and with low temperature and pressure within the reactor.

Officials are continuing efforts to restore plant systems at Daiichi Units 1-3.

Unit 4 had been shut down for maintenance, with all its fuel removed from the reactor core, before the 11 March earthquake.

www.iaea.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I thought I would share this short History Channel program on the world's 1st nuclear meltdown in 1959 in Simi Valley, CA. Very interesting, especially if you read the comments from folks who lived there during that time.

www.youtube.com...=11

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
U.S. is evacuating up to 87,000 military personal and their families from Japan.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
All this hysteria for some tainted water and spinach. It's been over a week now and hardly any high radiation levels have spread from the plant.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Question:

How come the IAEA representative they sent was Japanese?

And he said radiation levels were all ok.....I would have been happier with a British or American representative going in to check things out...

(no link as on NHK)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ljonesyuk

HAHAHA who told you that ???????? Jeez some people !!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
enenews.com...

Renewed nuclear chain reaction feared at spent-fuel storage pool, fire at building housing containment of reactor Tuesday and Wednesday, only frame remains of reactor building roof, temperature in the pool reached 84 C on March 14, water sprayed at pool on Sunday.

That quake could cause some real concerns.
edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
On sunday why is there no news. nothing at all. Tv only repoting lybia. Thats it. Just 48 hours ago it was so crazy no they just say reactor 5 anf 6 are under control. well last i rember 1 2 3 4 were the problems. why keep talking about 5 and 6. Its crazy. I wathed a show about 10 years ago that said 3 or 4 bombs like harosham were droped the world could end. radation nuclear winter food shortages etc... i hear each reactor is alot worse then one heroshma. please ecxuse my typing. am i the only one in shock nright now or what. am i just paraniod.

new topics

top topics

<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join