It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 248.htm
<< 245  246  247    249  250  251 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Sad update from Kyodo:

Pressure at No. 3 reactor's containment vessel rising: nuke agency

I was just about to post the same news. This is very bad news. They do not have control of the situation. Could have another possible explosion soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Japan Finds Tainted Food Up to 90 Miles From Nuclear Sites

From The New York Times:

Food safety inspectors said the iodine 131 in the tested milk was up to five times the level the government deems safe, and the spinach had levels more than seven times the safe level. The spinach also contained slightly higher than allowable amounts of cesium 137.

LINK
No mention of plutonium though...
I wonder why?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Sad update from Kyodo:

I was just about to post the same news. This is very bad news. They do not have control of the situation. Could have another possible explosion soon.

This is the one thing that has been bugging me concerning the pumps coming back online. As far as it was reported, the pumps *were* (via back-up generators/battery powered?) online during the initial explosions and the pressure situation was still happening, perhaps as a result. I really don't know, but let's hope that whatever mistakes were made during the earlier explosions, don't repeat this time.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Sad update from Kyodo:

This is the one thing that has been bugging me concerning the pumps coming back online. As far as it was reported, the pumps *were* (via back-up generators/battery powered?) online during the initial explosions and the pressure situation was still happening, perhaps as a result. I really don't know, but let's hope that whatever mistakes were made during the earlier explosions, don't repeat this time.

Even if they restore power, at least a few rod storage pools are empty of water due to possible cracks or damage (according to western nuclear engineers). The workers currently there cannot get close enough even inspect or repair the pools due to the high levels of radiation. It sounds like those exposed rods are overheating and ready to catch fire. There are supposedly 150 tons of stored fuel rods at that plant. Not good. If those rods go up, then there would probably have to be a total evacuation around the plant. In my personal opinion, the Tokyo area is still in grave danger.
edit on 19-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
But eh, those liars at TEPCO and on the MSM said once electricity was back on, everything was to be alright!

Eh, maybe you didn't know this, but electricity fixes radiation leaks and containment units!

Right now I'm watching a documentary on TMI, and they came at 30 minutes from a total meltdown... and while it was happening, the government was saying everything was fine...

They had two ``doomsday`` scenarios... one with a total meltdown... and one with an hydrogen explosion... and what happened in Japan? 4 hydrogen explosions... while in Japan they basically said it was no big deal, while at TMI they said it would have been a doomsday scenario because it would have released lots of radiation in the atmosphere...

So TEPCO and the government of Japan, you're a bunch of liars.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Japan govt finds radioactive dust & particles in Greater Tokyo area, no risk to human health reports Kyodo. The detection of dust and particles made over a 24-hour period from Friday morning

Reuters

Here we go
edit on 19-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
NEWS ADVISORY: Steps to reduce No. 3 reactor's pressure to be taken swiftly: nuke agency

link

I wonder how they will manage to do this when they cannot even get close to the damaged reactors core or fuel storage ponds.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I wonder how they will manage to do this when they cannot even get close to the damaged reactors core or fuel storage ponds.

Probably do something stupid like pouring more water on it or creating a hole on the side.

And isn't pressure rising because the core is boiling the water... so it's partial meltdown after partial meltdown down there...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Japan govt finds radioactive dust & particles in Greater Tokyo area, no risk to human health reports Kyodo. The detection of dust and particles made over a 24-hour period from Friday morning

Reuters

Here we go
edit on 19-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

No health risk because we all know radioactive particles are healthy, especially over long periods of exposure?
They could at least tell the truth and say low health risk.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Or at least tell people WHICH radioactive particles were found. As we all know, they are not all equal.

Willing to hold your breath to find out? Not me!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

so they are admitting a reactor over heating again? It must be about ready to blow then or something, if they are telling the WORLD..

tellin ya man they need to dump liquid nitrogen on these reactors, and then entomb them..

/joking since I have no idea if that would even work.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

The 300 becquerel (Bq) /kg limit takes yearly consumption into account. Here in Sweden the recommendation is to stay below an intake of 75.000 Bq per year, 75.000 Bq equals roughly 1 millisievert (mSv). We also have a 300 Bq/kg limit for food/drink. Right after the Chernobyl disaster they measured 16 Bq/kg in the drinking water not far from where I live.

Source

Source

edit on 19-3-2011 by cripmeister because: sources

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
NEWS ADVISORY: Current evacuation area not expected to change: nuke agency (13:20)

link

That's right everyone. Stay in your homes and wait for a reactor to explode or storage rods to catch fire, then evacuate in panic.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by Wertwog

The 300 Bq/kg limit takes yearly consumption into account. Here in Sweden the recommendation is to stay below an intake of 75.000 becquerel (Bq) of Cs-137 per year. 75.000 Bq equals roughly 1 millisievert (mSv). We also have a 300 Bq/kg limit for food/drink.

So, let me get this right. Every time you have some milk and a spinach salad you are consuming this dose, or you could eat this food at this dose for a year and be within the legal limit?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
CNN has cut away from its listed regular programming to show a live report on Japan, though so far the only mention of the rising pressure is in the chyron. However, I've never seen the host or program format before and it feels a bit slapdash, as if put on in a hurry, and I'm getting the strong feeling they're doing this because they think something is about to happen.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I guess the pressure rising could be taken two ways. One it's bad, obviously because pressure is bad. Two it could be a good sign, showing that the containment is indeed somewhat intact, enough to hold pressure.

Key is venting that pressure. Honestly i don't know how the latter could be good if they can't get close enough to vent it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

My concern is that the reactors may have been partly breached, and an influx of water will just create a lot of radioactive steam... which we know creates hydrogen from the fuel rod cladding... which we know is explosive... which could easily split an overheated vessel... which could result in a release of melted reacting fuel... which is a bad thing. And that's not accounting for the fact that they were injecting seawater, which contains salts, into these reactors a few days ago. Salt corrodes steel, and heat causes it to corrode steel faster. That's why they use denatured water in the first place. Seawater injection was supposed to be a one-time emergency procedure; get it cooled off and scrap the reactor.

The constant reports that they are injecting water continuously, without reporting intentional venting, was my tip-off. You can't just keep adding water to a sealed container without it filling up. The water was going somewhere, either as a liquid or as steam.

And here I was thinking that feeling last night really was indigestion...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I don't understand these corporations. It is such a blatant lie to say that radioactive dust particles pose no risk of harm! They really believe the masses are ignorant...and you know what? They may be right!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Mr Tranny

OK, dumb question time...

So what you are saying is that the tube itself determines the calibration, and the circuitry does not? If that is the case, it would be VERY simple to build a Geiger counter circuit with a digital display in whatever units one wished. All I have to do is set up a timebase based on the calibration of the tube and a simple counter... 0.1 Hz refresh should be plenty fast enough for updates and slow enough to give good accuracy. That's even cheaper and not much more difficult than using an ICL7107 A/D converter for a driver.

Yes, that is a workable system. Once you figure out the necessary time base, then you can change the time base 10X steps to change the multiplication value for the readout. On the display refresh, I would just base that on the timebase. When ever the end of count is reached, then dump that to display, then restart count. The higher the multiplier setting, the faster the display would refresh. The same as a normal frequency counter works

Where are you getting the calibration figures? I am not seeing that information on the links (and I know from experience that Electronic Goldmine is very good at not providing data... they just sell the parts and usually have no idea how to rate them if their source didn't provide the data. I deal with them a lot - great place to get small parts surplus in large quantities.).

I already have the spec sheets for those tubes, all I had to do was look through the files that I already had. The Russian tube has been around most of the radiation monitoring websites anyway and most people already know the calibration of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

But the containment for reactor no. 3 is non-existent now. It's just a mass of twisted metal and the inside is quite exposed.

top topics

<< 245  246  247    249  250  251 >>

join